Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

When did you get off the "Snyder is learning" train?

HogsOfWar

Think Steinberg had a blog entry which listed all the times that Snyder claimed "he was still learning........"

Nah, never really have been on the train.  Always hated reading the stories early on of how he treated people, particularly Norv, while not a good head coach, didn't deserve to be treated like crap. And it would infuriate me to hear the apologists say "oh, but he was so young" when he bought the team. Excuse me? He was in his mid-30s! Certainly you know how to treat people by the time you are that age.

I do take Dan at face value when he admits that he got sick of losing and finally got over his penchant for going after the hot-shot head coaches (some may make the case that Jay is due to his last name, but I disagree). I applaud him for taking the chance on McCloughan, and do think that he will hire a replacement in due time.

The Sally Jenkins piece on the boy blunder is perfect. And yeah, I know it's Sally Jenkins. I don't care. Right is right. And she is absolutely right on this one. 

The most telling stat here is this:

Between 2008 and 2013, 120 of its 143 employees in non-football operations left the club for various reasons. “I never worked in such a nervous building,” one said.

That's mind-boggling, and that's at the absolute heart of all the team's problems imo. If it's that way in the lower levels of the organization, just imagine what the coaches and other higher-ups deal with. Under Cooke (certainly no saint himself, but nothing like Snyder), the place was run like a family business. People were there for years, knew each other's names, etc. When Snyder came in, he was like a puny Alec Baldwin in Glengarry Glennross in his approach. Pretty much fired everyone and brought his telemarketing culture to the inner-workings of the building. It became a "watch your back" culture instead of a family culture. 

And I have no idea what can be done about it. Probably nothing. It's so hard to continue rooting for a team whose ownership espouses the kinds of values and traits that I personally find despicable. 

Full piece here:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/redskins/tired-of-the-redskins-dysfunction-theres-one-person-to-blame/2017/03/11/2aef60dc-05d3-11e7-ad5b-d22680e18d10_story.html?tid=ss_tw&utm_term=.67c120524f4b#comments

...had a friend who had a friend who went to work for the Skins in the ticket office a few years ago.  That person did not stay there long and quit due to the intense pressure to sell, sell, sell.

I guess I can break out the "Trade Snyder" shirts I had made a few years ago.

1 hour ago, Dissident2 said:

The Sally Jenkins piece on the boy blunder is perfect. And yeah, I know it's Sally Jenkins. I don't care. Right is right. And she is absolutely right on this one. 

I know a lot of people here don't like Sally but she is dead on balls accurate in this article.  Probably won't change anything though.  Danny's not going anywhere soon and I don't think he will ever change.  I just feel bad for my kids who have to suffer all the indignation and mockery they receive from other fans.  Dan needs to be very careful with the Cousins contract.  The loyalty of thousands of fans and future fans hangs in the balance. 

Dan was very hands-on when he got the team, and honestly, who on this forum wouldn't be?  C'mon, be honest. 

After the ridicule he endured from fans and the media, he backed down, and from what I gathered, stayed away and out of operations.  If he's back into it, then shame on him, I thought he would have learned his lesson, but when Bruce Allen was brought on board, I lost any hope of having a 'normal' front office. 

Actually, i'm not and never was 'on a train', but I did grab onto the handles of the caboose and tried to keep up, for what its worth...

4 minutes ago, skins island connection said:

Dan was very hands-on when he got the team, and honestly, who on this forum wouldn't be?  C'mon, be honest. 

After the ridicule he endured from fans and the media, he backed down, and from what I gathered, stayed away and out of operations.  If he's back into it, then shame on him, I thought he would have learned his lesson, but when Bruce Allen was brought on board, I lost any hope of having a 'normal' front office. 

Actually, i'm not and never was 'on a train', but I did grab onto the handles of the caboose and tried to keep up, for what its worth...

I don't buy that he backed down, I just think he learned to hide behind his stooges. That was a smart move though after watching his ESPN draft day interview circa 2002-2003.

The entire hiring process after Gibbs showed that he had learned nothing at all. I figured that if four years with Gibbs had changed nothing, that was that.

I still think everyone misunderstands specifically HOW Snyder is incompetent. He's not a meddler in the Jerry Jones mold. He's just fundamentally a bad leader. I think he totally misjudges all his hires. People who need a tight leash are given vast power and autonomy. Talented people are passed over. It's just a dysfunctional organization in every sense.

Still on the train.  I don't know how much of the drinking thing was true, but if he was trying to trade Cousins, I can't blame Snyder for getting involved.  He hired a GM and got out the way, that's what works.  If he goes off and hires another flunky like Vinny, I'll get off the train.  I agree that doesn't mean we'll never win.

I was never on the Snyder train at all, when I found out that Snyder and his cronies won the bidding I knew this franchise was a train wreck. I got a first hand look on how 

Snyder did business when he did mass hirings and mass firings for his Snyder communications company. All the employees had nothing but bad things to say about

working there. I saw the writing on the wall and I'm sorry to say I have not been disappointed in the least bit. John Kent Cook must be turning in his grave.

20 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Still on the train.  I don't know how much of the drinking thing was true, but if he was trying to trade Cousins, I can't blame Snyder for getting involved.  He hired a GM and got out the way, that's what works.  If he goes off and hires another flunky like Vinny, I'll get off the train.  I agree that doesn't mean we'll never win.

What makes you think Scott wanted to trade Kirk?

And even if he did, then Snyder firing him would be the opposite of hiring a GM and getting out of the GM's way.

17 minutes ago, hailer21 said:

And even if he did, then Snyder firing him would be the opposite of hiring a GM and getting out of the GM's way.

Agreed.  

The posters here are right.   Even if Snyder isn't meddling like he used to be, his management of this franchise has been grossly incompetent.  And it all trickles down from the top.    But I'm not sure he isn't done meddling.  

People always say he's learned his lesson, which I want to believe at this point, but how do you explain the story of Scot having a 5 hour conversation with Snyder in August 2015 to stand on a desk and convince Snyder that Cousins should be the starting QB, not RGIII.   Why did Snyder need convincing?    Shouldn't that be up to the coach and GM?    The GM had to spend hours convincing the owner of who was going to take the field?  That's not right.

Then there's what we've heard about Scot wanting to give Cousins a long-term deal early in the 2015 season.   The details of that are sketchy, but apparently it was shot down by Snyder/Allen.    I will be the first to admit that I wasn't convinced of Cousins that early in 2015.   But that's why you hire a GM!!!   You hire a GM to tell you "hey, this QB is worth taking a chance on.  I think he's gonna be great and it's gonna save you a lot of money."     If they'd listened to Scot, the entire franchise would be in a dramatically different place.   We'd have millions of cap savings to spend on Garcon, Jackson, and others.   

So, why was the owner in any way involved in either of those two decisions?   If he wasn't, then why was Allen involved?   The answer is that Snyder is too incompetent to see that it's critical to hire a strong football GM like Scot and get out of the way.   Everyone get out of the way, including Allen.  

1 hour ago, hailer21 said:

Saw an article about it.  I'm sure a lot has been throwing around, and I'm just hoping he hires another GM and steps away again.  Not denying this being meddling if ever there was one, but with QBs that hard to come by, I don't blame him.

I always remember Dan's press conference to introduce Spurrier as HC.  He repeatedly used the phrase "exciting product" to describe what Spurrier's fun n gun offense would bring.  If I didn't know the guy owned a football team I would of thought he was selling women's shampoo.  

37 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

He is still learning,

The best analogy here would be a severely retarded person who is supposedly learning how to read.  So far after 18 years he has learned the first six letters of the alphabet, and he's still learning.  He will spend his whole life learning, but he's never going to be able to ****ing read.

Watch the limited videos there are of him being interviewed. He sounds like a child. He also uses the word "disaster" frequently. That's how I know SM smearing leak of "the past 18 months have been a disaster" originated from him.

Archived