Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN - Redskins sign Jay Gruden to two year extension

TSO

http://www.espn.com/espn/now?nowId=21-0629897698970964893-4

The Redskins signed coach Jay Gruden to a two-year extension, according to a source. Gruden is entering the fourth year of his original five-year deal. With a lot of uncertainty surrounding the Redskins, this move provides a level of stability for Washington.

i?img=%2Fi%2Fcolumnists%2Fkeim_john_m.jpg&w=80&h=80&scale=cropJohn Keim, ESPN Staff Writer

Great news to me, very pleased! 

I thought I heard they offered him an extension right after the season but it was non-guaranteed, so Jay wouldn't sign it.  Assuming that this extension is guaranteed, I hope that gives KC some assurance of stability and they can come to an agreement this weekend.

He's a good coach. He makes some mistakes here and there but overall he's been a godsend. 

1 minute ago, SkinsPassion4Life said:

If they really wanted to extend Gruden; they would have done it while he was looking for a D-Coordinator.....this move is about showing stability because of the GMSM nonsense....helps with potential free agents and possibly Kirk

I highly doubt they just threw this together over the past few days. These things take time. No way this has anything to do with the other crap going on. Not everything needs to be negative. 

3 minutes ago, Taylor703 said:

He's a good coach. He makes some mistakes here and there but overall he's been a godsend. 

I highly doubt they just threw this together over the past few days. These things take time. No way this has anything to do with the other crap going on. Not everything needs to be negative. 

They knew this stuff with GMSM was happening a long time ago...were probably working on this for weeks.

And yes, I think it could be driven with Kirk in mind as well

Huge deal for me -- especially in light of the recent media driven chaos.  If i had to pick on the top symptom of the Redskins dysfunction disease its instability.  Extending Jay is a huge sign that they value stability for a change or so I hope.  I was ok with the hire initially but disliked him as HC (though didn't hate him) after year 1 (though I was opposed to firing him --  I said at the time first year coaches deserve time and a learning curve) I recall saying back then he struck me as a B level effort-acumen guy who will lose out to A level coaches.  But he grew on me in year 2 in part because he's so open (versus being a stubborn-stuck in the mud type) about being a work in progress and I generally like that trait in people especially leaders.  

Ryan Clark likes to say the most important trait for a coach is the ability to relate to the players -- and by most accounts he's awesome in that department.  The players seem to really dig him.  Plus he knows how to run a really good offense.   Assuming/hoping everything is cool with Scot -- I think its also helpful that Jay seems to have real good chemistry with him.   He also comes off like a really good guy -- and I think this organization at times needs a good ambassador like that.  So I am real happy with this.  

I was iffy on him in year 1, but in hus defense, he had to sail a leaky vessel through a minefield

It took balls to tie his fate to Kirk. He earned my respect with that move, and although i didn't like how the team faded down the stretch this year, the facts are that the man knows offense and quarterbacks, and how to empower his staff, instead of lord over them.

Here's to hoping that he continues to grow in his role, and is here for a long time.

32 minutes ago, thesubmittedone said:

I'd advise everyone to go read @TK's blog he just put up, too. Nice timing. :) 

Seriously.  This should be mandatory reading for any fans going crazy and especially any media guy with a twitter account.

11 minutes ago, thesubmittedone said:

One losing season in his entire coaching career. One. The 2014 Redskins when he was thrust into a total train wreck. 

Guy is a winner. God willing he becomes a champion here. 

Yep before the deal he had 2 years left now he has 4 years.  To me this is the icing on the cake for KC to be signed LTD very soon.:)

16 minutes ago, RWJ said:

Yep before the deal he had 2 years left now he has 4 years.  To me this is the icing on the cake for KC to be signed LTD very soon.:)

He had 2 left? Wasn't he heading into his final year of the contract this upcoming season? That plus the 2 year extension should be 3 years left now 

Archived