Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN - Redskins sign Jay Gruden to two year extension

TSO

Well deserved. Coach Gruden is doing a great job. While the stretch run of 2016 was disappointing,I think the tan had over achieved the past 2 seasons. 

Now let's hope the local media will let the off-season play out before calling it a bust

Just now, Cooleyfan1993 said:

He had 2 left? Wasn't he heading into his final year of the contract this upcoming season? That plus the 2 year extension should be 3 years left now 

His first year was 2014 so, 14, 15, 16 ,17, 18 would make 5 years.  If you add 2 more onto it that makes it 4 years, I believe.:)

1 minute ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

He had 2 left? Wasn't he heading into his final year of the contract this upcoming season? That plus the 2 year extension should be 3 years left now 

No he had 2 left. So he's on a 4 year deal through 2020

This just goes to show you how ****ing clueless and full of **** the media is.  Seriously **** our local media.  I'm so glad this news popped up now.  I remember hearing either 980 or 1067 talking about who will be here in 2 years after Gruden is gone.

Sorry for the language I'm just so ****ing tired of the local incompetent media around here.  So glad I will be in the Caribbean next week and not have to listen to these idiots for a week.

I'm paying close to attention to the way these local media guys react to Keim getting the scoop. 

They've been complaining about the team not giving them access and/or going to the national media first. I don't think it's a coincidence Keim got it. So what are they going to say about that now? 

He's local but has the biggest reach, so win-win PR-wise for the team. He also has been one of the few rational voices this offseason, avoiding the worst of the speculation while his peers dove in all too willingly. 

Now, I don't think the intent of the extension itself was PR-related like they're going to insinuate (and already have), but dare I say the PR team calculated this pretty well by giving Keim the scoop? 

Just a (maybe too hopeful) thought. 

11 minutes ago, thesubmittedone said:

I'm paying close to attention to the way these local media guys react to Keim getting the scoop. 

They've been complaining about the team not giving them access and/or going to the national media first. I don't think it's a coincidence Keim got it. So what are they going to say about that now? 

He's local but has the biggest reach, so win-win PR-wise for the team. He also has been one of the few rational voices this offseason, avoiding the worst of the speculation while his peers dove in all too willingly. 

Now, I don't think the intent of the extension itself was PR-related like they're going to insinuate (and already have), but dare I say the PR team calculated this pretty well by giving Keim the scoop? 

Just a (maybe too hopeful) thought. 

It also removes any chance of giving their articles and speculation an air of legitimacy. If any of them had broken the news about Gruden, by default it makes people give all their tweets and articles more validity. "Hey, if they knew about Gruden's extension before it was announced then their sources are probably right about a lot of other things, too..."

3 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

It also removes any chance of giving their articles and speculation an air of legitimacy. If any of them had broken the news about Gruden, by defaults it makes people give all their tweets and articles more validity. "Hey, if they knew about Gruden's extension before it was announced then their sources are probably right about a lot of other things, too..."

Great point! 

Rewards Keim for not being a pos, strengthens his credibility AND weakens theirs. 

I still wish they'd have gotten out in front of the Scot thing before the combine, just a terrible gaffe in my mind, but I dare to say they're being smart here PR-wise so I'll commend them for that. 

Or we could be totally full of **** right now. :ols: 

6 minutes ago, thesubmittedone said:

Great point! 

Rewards Keim for not being a pos, strengthens his credibility AND weakens theirs. 

I still wish they'd have gotten out in front of the Scot thing before the combine, just a terrible gaffe in my mind, but I dare to say they're being smart here PR-wise so I'll commend them for that. 

Or we could be totally full of **** right now. :ols: 

Both of us full of ****?....No way lol...

8 minutes ago, thesubmittedone said:

The way some of the local media, especially from a certain venue, have acted is reprehensible.  Treating rumors as facts, firing everyone, losing everyone like it's a franchise on Madden.. There have been some that have gone as far to insinuate addiction and infighting without proof.  This click bait gotcha twitter reporting just demeans these "media" types.

11 minutes ago, worldpost said:

The way some of the local media, especially from a certain venue, have acted is reprehensible.  Treating rumors as facts, firing everyone, losing everyone like it's a franchise on Madden.. There have been some that have gone as far to insinuate addiction and infighting without proof.  This click bait gotcha twitter reporting just demeans these "media" types.

Yup, 100%, it's shameful. At the same time I do want them reporting to us if there really is dysfunction or problems occurring. That's important for us to be aware and for the team to know they can't just get away with it. 

But it needs to be based on sound journalism. Legitimate sources, citing them consistently (yes, even anonymously), and solid evidence-based presentations that remove opinion for the most part. 

Nothing wrong with opinion pieces, either, so long as they're clearly presented as such. This is what has bothered me most this offseason. They've purposely mixed the two to confuse and distort. And if their opinions end up right they get to say "see, my reporting was sound". Ugly. 

And the one guy in Cooley who actually directly stated he was speculating had his words turned into a smorgasbord of headlines that reached national levels and is still referred to today as indicative of something, lol. 

Awesome. 

This is not in any way excusing the organization for mishandling this. I still struggle to understand why they didn't let anyone know about Scot missing the combine beforehand. Something so unusual like that should never have come as a surprise they then had to address. 

But outside of that, if this is a new thing for the team where there's just one unified voice (Bruce) and they don't talk much at all except when they absolutely have to as pertaining to NFL rules... I'm actually all for that. Both Scot and Jay can get into trouble with their loose lips. If the decision is being made based on that? Great. That's what a Team President should do. 

But we'll see I guess. 

Great news. Said a few times, if you commit to Kirk then you extend Gruden, line up their remaining tenures and move forward. 

Setting side all other debates, at least it's a solid base plan. Would expect Kirk to be signed up on a LTD soon. Can live with that, coach and QB locked in, build from there.

52 minutes ago, thesubmittedone said:

Yup, 100%, it's shameful. At the same time I do want them reporting to us if there really is dysfunction or problems occurring. That's important for us to be aware and for the team to know they can't just get away with it. 

But it needs to be based on sound journalism. Legitimate sources, citing them consistently (yes, even anonymously), and solid evidence-based presentations that remove opinion for the most part. 

Nothing wrong with opinion pieces, either, so long as they're clearly presented as such. This is what has bothered me most this offseason. They've purposely mixed the two to confuse and distort. And if their opinions end up right they get to say "see, my reporting was sound". Ugly. 

And the one guy in Cooley who actually directly stated he was speculating had his words turned into a smorgasbord of headlines that reached national levels and is still referred to today as indicative of something, lol. 

Awesome. 

This is not in any way excusing the organization for mishandling this. I still struggle to understand why they didn't let anyone know about Scot missing the combine beforehand. Something so unusual like that should never have come as a surprise they then had to address. 

But outside of that, if this is a new thing for the team where there's just one unified voice (Bruce) and they don't talk much at all except when they absolutely have to as pertaining to NFL rules... I'm actually all for that. Both Scot and Jay can get into trouble with their loose lips. If the decision is being made based on that? Great. That's what a Team President should do. 

But we'll see I guess. 

But the team did say that Scott might not be at the combine when questioned about availability ahead of time but reporters kind of ignored that ... lots of people knew he was not at redskins park since the 20th ... but hey it wasn't as impactful a story back then . 

Kiem has been sadly the sole voice of reason in the local media . When this storm hit about Scott the first thing he did was check sources - how original - he checked with agents who would have been talking to Scott and they had no idea anything was up . Which poured cold water on the rumours Russell was sprinting away with . 

Tandler and JP to me have always been quit balanced but the kind of reporters who report what is going on and rely on what they have been told by team sources - they seem to have little other insight and when the team goes dark - as it has frustration shows . Tandler has been increasingly salty . 

The rest i dont know .

I don't read anything with WP in the header I am sick of their agenda driven BS - when PFT looks more balanced and credible in comparison with your coverage then you are in trouble ...

but congratulations in Gruden . I was calling for his head in year one but really has impressed since . 

Just one one thing on the list of previous coaches ... was spurrier fired or did he resign from the golf course ? 

This was excellent news, and really should've been done at the end of the season to assist with the Def Coor hiring, but I'm happy it's done prior to FA nonetheless. 

First HC to be extended by the Danny.

3 hours ago, thesubmittedone said:

Weird because according to Chris Russell, Gruden was relieved of his duties back in 2015 and Laron Landry had been running the play calls since while Jim Haslett has been secretly in charge of the Harvest Fest this whole time.

Good move. 

Its a year early than when you usually do it  but I agree that it is necessary to show Cousins his head coach is secure. 

Like others have said, Gruden has grown on me. I like his sarcastic nature and he (not wonder boy McVay) is the architect of a top shelf passing offense. 

Good move by the Skins. Now get Cousins signed today or tomorrow and then we have something to sell to FAs when tampering day comes up Tuesday. 

6 hours ago, Skins-in-CT said:

I thought I heard they offered him an extension right after the season but it was non-guaranteed, so Jay wouldn't sign it.  Assuming that this extension is guaranteed, I hope that gives KC some assurance of stability and they can come to an agreement this weekend.

it most assuredly does..great news 4 sho..

Archived