Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN - Redskins sign Jay Gruden to two year extension

TSO

Nice plug from Mike Zimmer, I recall hearing him miked up talking to Jay before they faced off last season saying his offense is a pain in the butt to deal with. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/redskins/redskins-extend-jay-grudens-contract-sending-signal-of-continuity/2017/03/05/5fb96990-01df-11e7-ad5b-d22680e18d10_story.html?utm_term=.5e815d70abf2

Minnesota Vikings Coach Mike Zimmer, who worked alongside Gruden in Cincinnati and is a longtime friend, didn’t hesitate to comment publicly. “Jay’s a heck of a football coach, and I’m happy for him. He has deserved it,” Zimmer said Sunday. “He has got the franchise going in the right direction. He’s innovative, number one. Smart guy, handles players very well, relates to them. He’s real smart.”

Former Redskins general manager Charley Casserly, now an NFL Network analyst, called it a good move. “It shows stability to [Kirk] Cousins and other free agents,” Casserly said. “And questions about Gruden’s job security can’t be used against them in free agency.”

Multiple Redskins staff members and assistant coaches privately expressed joy for Gruden, saying he’d earned the extension, but declined to be quoted because the team hadn’t formally announced the deal. 

Shockingly, the Washington Post has run yet another hit piece on the Redskins on this one, titled " Redskins’ Jay Gruden signed a two-year extension. And it doesn’t matter. "  Basically saying "Sure you may think its good, and it probably is, but it doesnt matter because they still stink.

They have really jumped off the deep end, and really let their hatred rule them.  Definitely would have joined Vader if given the choice instead of Luke.

20 hours ago, RedskinsMayne said:

Got to admit when we first hired him my thought was "no way is this clown going to last" But he's gotten a little better each season and while i still think he's on the lower end of average as far as HC's go, he keeps learning and moving up and that's a pretty big deal. So, i'm happy with the signing.

lol, I think my first reaction was who??..but that was also my first reaction to the name Gibbs...Darrel Green..Jerry Rice..Larry Bird...The Beatles...John Beck...Jupiter...

17 hours ago, Riggo#44 said:

When I read the comments, I go in knowing there is no reason to respond to any of the people in there. There are some really stupid ****ing people out there. But, I definitely feel smarter, more rational, less full of ****, and knowing I am a better human being...

you're welcome : )

13 hours ago, Peregrine said:

Heres to really really really hoping we make the playoffs this year(first because it will be fun), because otherwise thats going to look like a mighty rash move.  I really hope Gruden turns out to be Bellichik 2.0, but its a bit odd to extend a guy when he might only make the playoffs 1 time in 4 years.  I figured they would wait until the end of the season, but Im guessing this was a move to ease the tensions of free agents and Kirk.

didnt belechick only make it 1 time in his first 4 or 5 years as a head coach?

Gruden after what our Redskins have done in the last 2 years, has more than earned another shot at coaching in the NFL if he was to walk or be sacked.  Does him being here for possibly another 3 year minimum mean that Cousins will be here on a LTD?

HTTR 

7 hours ago, Peregrine said:

Shockingly, the Washington Post has run yet another hit piece on the Redskins on this one, titled " Redskins’ Jay Gruden signed a two-year extension. And it doesn’t matter. "  Basically saying "Sure you may think its good, and it probably is, but it doesnt matter because they still stink.

They have really jumped off the deep end, and really let their hatred rule them.  Definitely would have joined Vader if given the choice instead of Luke.

What's even more pathetic are the supposed fans who piled on. One person actually wrote it was the best article ever written! The clear vindictive and petty nature of the article is completely lacking any kind of reason or common sense even. It's just a long page of whining and hatefulness.

It never ceases to amaze me how so many of you on this board do not recognize what has taken place the past 20 years around here.  You want to trash the Post without acknowledging the role the team has played in providing them with material.  A GM not attending the combine as questions remain about his absence as agents scramble to try to understand what is happening and who to talk to a day before FA starts is NOT normal behavior of a team that is fully functional.  Extending the coach before you conclude the search for a new DC, which show stability to a man who will be moving his family to a new city, it just makes more sense than doing it later.  Now that extension clearly has a damage control smell to it.

3 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

It never ceases to amaze me how so many of you on this board do not recognize what has taken place the past 20 years around here.  You want to trash the Post without acknowledging the role the team has played in providing them with material.  A GM not attending the combine as questions remain about his absence as agents scramble to try to understand what is happening and who to talk to a day before FA starts is NOT normal behavior of a team that is fully functional.

It never ceases to amaze me how so many can just continue to whine and complain about the team no matter what happens. Even when the team does something right people find something to complain about.  No one is saying the team is perfect. Not even close. What's gets old is the post and then people like you who mostly **** and complain about everything no matter what the team does. Even complaining about things that have not even happened yet! Things that still have plenty of time to be worked out! But they want to get a head start on the complaining! "See, I told you they suck! See how much smarter I am than you!" If you complain about everything sooner on later you will be right. 

It's like some people get big superiority kick when they drone on and on complaining about why did they do this, why did they do that, and that makes no sense and you have to question this. The post writing hateful, vindictive, and childishly rants about the team day in and day out gets really ****ing old. I have family in Washington that don't even follow the team much ask me why the post hates the Redskins so much.

In the end, pardon me if some of us prefer to keep looking forward instead of whining about the last 20 years. Some of us see things turning a corner. Is everything perfect? Of course not. And no I do not agree with every thing to team does. But I personally prefer to dwell on the positive instead of the negative.

If you hate them so much move on! Stop following them. No one is making you. Or keep following them. That is your right. Either way stop trashing others that try to keep a positive outlook.

16 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

It never ceases to amaze me how so many can just continue to whine and complain about the team no matter what happens. Even when the team does something right people find something to complain about.  No one is saying the team is perfect. Not even close. What's gets old is the post and then people like you who mostly **** and complain about everything no matter what the team does. Even complaining about things that have not even happened yet! Things that still have plenty of time to be worked out! But they want to get a head start on the complaining! "See, I told you they suck! See how much smarter I am than you!" If you complain about everything sooner on later you will be right. 

It's like some people get big superiority kick when they drone on and on complaining about why did they do this, why did they do that, and that makes no sense and you have to question this. The post writing hateful, vindictive, and childishly rants about the team day in and day out gets really ****ing old. I have family in Washington that don't even follow the team much ask me why the post hates the Redskins so much.

In the end, pardon me if some of us prefer to keep looking forward instead of whining about the last 20 years. Some of us see things turning a corner. Is everything perfect? Of course not. And no I do not agree with every thing to team does. But I personally prefer to dwell on the positive instead of the negative.

If you hate them so much move on! Stop following them. No one is making you. Or keep following them. That is your right. Either way stop trashing others that try to keep a positive outlook.

Just stop.   Quitting the team is just not an option, just like the stupid "if you think our country is so bad then move" rebuttal.

I love my team, I have missed 3 games in 45 years.  When they do things I agree with, like hiring SM and putting him in charge of personnel, I was very positive. But unlike you when I see reason for criticism  I'm not about to ignore it.  I made a very valid point about the timing of the extension.  NOBODY around the league would see this entire SM mystery and not think it's an issue.  

I am no more  "trashing" you for your opinion than you are "trashing" me for voicing mine.  

5 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

Just stop.   Quitting the team is just not an option, just like the stupid "if you think our country is so bad then move" rebuttal.

I love my team, I have missed 3 games in 45 years.  When they do things I agree with, like hiring SM and putting him in charge of personnel, I was very positive. But unlike you when I see reason for criticism  I'm not about to ignore all the crap that still goes on at Redskins Park.  I am no more "trashing"you for your opinion than you are "trashing" me for voicing mine.  

So just like with the team you read what you wanted. I said keep following them if you want. It is your right. I said stop trashing others for their opinion - and that's exactly what you do when you post things like what I responded to.

And I do criticize them when necessary but quite frankly I never get a chance. You and others like you do it so much there isn't any room for any others.

2 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

So just like with the team you read what you wanted. I said keep following them if you want. It is your right. I said stop trashing others for their opinion - and that's exactly what you do when you post things like what I responded to.

And I do criticize them when necessary but quite frankly I never get a chance. You and others like you do it so much there isn't any room for any others.

You post a 4 paragraph lecture to me on my posts and then continue to claim I am the one trashing others for their opinion.  Wow.

Can we please move on from this?

1 minute ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

You post a 4 paragraph lecture to me on my posts and then continue to claim I am the one trashing others for their opinion.  Wow.

Can we please move on from this?

It was a response to you lecturing others for not being as critical as you. Did you really expect no one to response to that? So wow right back at you.

I am fine with moving on. But don't post something attacking how others respond to the team and not expect to get a response.

8 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

It was a response to you lecturing others for not being as critical as you. Did you really expect no one to response to that? So wow right back at you.

I am fine with moving on. But don't post something attacking how others respond to the team and not expect to get a response.

Final word, promise.  You are doing the exact same thing I am doing so if you are going to ask me to stop you need to listen to your own advice.  In fact what you are doing is clearly worse because you are singling me out by quoting my post.  Yours were direct attacks at me specifically where as my post, that did not contain a quote, was a blanket statement.   

Have a good day goskins.

2 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

Final word, promise.  You are doing the exact same thing I am doing so if you are going to ask me to stop you need to listen to your own advice.  In fact what you are doing is clearly worse because you are singling me out by quoting my post.  Yours were direct attacks at me specifically where as my post, that did not contain a quote, was a blanket statement.   

If that makes you feel better fine. Moving on.

Glad for Jay, our offense has taken numerous solid steps, and hopefully we can continue to take those steps.  Hopefully he keeps growing as an HC as well.

Helps with stability too.  Whether anything is happening behind the scenes or not, who knows, but the perception alone is not helpful.

Hopefully this also helps to induce Kirk to sign up for a LTD.  Recently extended coach + QB on LTD shows stability many FAs are looking for.

1 hour ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

It never ceases to amaze me how so many of you on this board do not recognize what has taken place the past 20 years around here.  You want to trash the Post without acknowledging the role the team has played in providing them with material.  A GM not attending the combine as questions remain about his absence as agents scramble to try to understand what is happening and who to talk to a day before FA starts is NOT normal behavior of a team that is fully functional.  Extending the coach before you conclude the search for a new DC, which show stability to a man who will be moving his family to a new city, it just makes more sense than doing it later.  Now that extension clearly has a damage control smell to it.

To you......

This thread is about Gruden, not our GM. Not every move the team makes is automatically  part and parcel of another recent move. Everyone is aware of the past, we've all been right here. Some just don't choose to tie ourselves into knots over things unproven or that we don't know....at least not yet. 

If that's how you operate fine but stop promoting hyperbolic nonsense as fact. Our coach getting an extension is a good thing regardless, it not happening when or how YOU want it to doesn't mean anything necessarily. And please, show us an example of some agents "scrambling" for anything. The only person "running around" is you and a few other like minded members screaming that the building is on fire. Could it be? Sure, but when you hear it every 5 minutes the alarm starts losing its efficacy.

9 minutes ago, onedrop said:

To you......

This thread is about Gruden, not our GM. Not every move the team makes is automatically  part and parcel of another recent move. Everyone is aware of the past, we've all been right here. Some just don't choose to tie ourselves into knots over things unproven or that we don't know....at least not yet. 

If that's how you operate fine but stop promoting hyperbolic nonsense as fact. Our coach getting an extension is a good thing regardless, it not happening when or how YOU want it to doesn't mean anything necessarily. And please, show us an example of some agents "scrambling" for anything. The only person "running around" is you and a few other like minded members screaming that the building is on fire. Could it be? Sure, but when you hear it every 5 minutes the alarm starts losing its efficacy.

I was under the impression that message boards were for voicing an opinion, that opinion carries more weight if it is backup up with reasons.  I believe I have done this.  If you disagree that's fine, that's what debating is all about.  No reason to get all upset about a difference of opinion. 

As for my agent comment I consider this a problem::

" and some are taking this as a sign to steer their clients away from Washington.  One agent likened the Redskins to being in “disarray” and was wondering who was calling the shots for the franchise presently. “I’m not exactly sure who’s in charge over there now,” an agent told Jones."

https://www.profootballrumors.com/2017/03/scot-mccloughans-status-affecting-redskins-free-agency

Interesting tidbit for those who like the reliability of sources of Chris Russell and 106.7 the Fan, from the CBS article on Gruden extension, " A league source had previously told 106.7 The Fan that an extension for Gruden wasn’t imminent, though it could happen later in the spring. "

I don't really care if the FO did this to help them with PR, Free Agents, or even Kirk's contract.  The fact of the matter is that it was the right thing to do.  I wasn't blown away by the initial hire.  And Jay has had some missteps but he has grown into the job.  As a former player he gets it.  He knows when to spank and when to hug.  He is a player's coach who isn't afraid of confrontation.  I think he is just what the modern - millennial athlete needs.  That player who will obey his coach without question is almost extinct in the NFL.  So, the coach who can motivate and scheme up a good plan of attack is invaluable. 

My $.02, fwiw.  I like the move, I hate the timing.

If you were going to do this, they should have done it on Jan 5th (or some date right after the season ended.)  It MIGHT have helped on negotiations with DCs.  Maybe, maybe not, but it couldn't have hurt. 

It will help some with FA, I think.  It will most likely help give Kirk piece of mind that Gruden's here long term. 

I do wish that he would figure out how to manage the clock a little better. But maybe that will come.

Anyway, I'm glad that we've at least got some stability for a little while. 

Side Note: IF Zimmer gets fired after next year, I could absolutely see Manusky being 1-n-done to hire Zimmer. 

1 hour ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

I was under the impression that message boards were for voicing an opinion, that opinion carries more weight if it is backup up with reasons.  I believe I have done this.  If you disagree that's fine, that's what debating is all about.  No reason to get all upset about a difference of opinion. 

As for my agent comment I consider this a problem::

" and some are taking this as a sign to steer their clients away from Washington.  One agent likened the Redskins to being in “disarray” and was wondering who was calling the shots for the franchise presently. “I’m not exactly sure who’s in charge over there now,” an agent told Jones."

https://www.profootballrumors.com/2017/03/scot-mccloughans-status-affecting-redskins-free-agency

opinions should be expressed, i voiced mine essentially stating that assertions arent facts, a position i maintain regularly, you followed up accusing me of being "upset". you proved your hyperbolic style of expression right there.  moving on....

" and some are taking this as a sign to steer their clients away from Washington"..... not them again! those sneaky SOMES, i wish we could find their hideout and end that menace one and for all...

“I’m not exactly sure who’s in charge over there now,” an agent told Jones.".....NOOOOOO, now the ANs are in on it too??!?!?!???!

easy to talk big smack when you arent required to substantiate it or "backup up with reasons" evidence

Archived