Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The (only!) official ES all things Kirk Cousins should we shouldn't we off-season thread.

Ron78

1 minute ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Well find an "elite, franchise, qb that can win playoff games" or whatever cliche phrases can be thrown around that isn't getting paid, that doesn't have a huge contract. 

I would slightly agree that he doesn't have Brees talent.  The other hilarious thing about this thread is that people are acting like the book has been written on Cousins, like this is as good as he'll ever be or can be. 

Physically I don't see how he'll ever get better. He does not have elite talent. Saying that, he's a good QB most of the time 

my only issue is the money he's asking for. That's it. 

10 minutes ago, BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93 said:

...I work in finance.

theres something called risk and reward. 

Bills are about to get rid of Taylor. Dolphins can probably make a case about not needing to pay Tannehill with how they've performed with Matt Moore. 

There's something to be said for not following the crowd and ****ing yourself. There isn't a correlation between future success and being a top paid QB

The list of those guys is terrifying 

Finance is not economics.  Thanks for playing! Risk and reward is not supply and demand. 

3 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Has Kirk earned the right to be a starting QB in this league?

Has he earned the right to be the Redskins starting QB?

Has he earned the right to a 3-4 year contract in his prime?

These are easy questions to answer...if you're not a prisoner of your emotions.

Don't think anyone would answer no

the price is the issue. Don't know why you guys can't understand that 

1 minute ago, BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93 said:

Physically I don't see how he'll ever get better. He does not have elite talent. Saying that, he's a good QB most of the time 

my only issue is the money he's asking for. That's it. 

Well what's elite talent?  A laser rocket arm?  He's not exactly a statue in the pocket, he can move a little. 

Wasn't RG3 elite talent?

Just now, BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93 said:

We don't know the contract,  his demands or anything yet. 

As a whole in the nfl, 25 million will be sticker shock until next year. 

The analog that comes to mind for me is Drew Storen in the 9th inning of the 2012 NLDS.  Time will only tell but he's had too many of these choke situations not to have it affect his psyche.   Not surprised if he isn't damaged good from here on out.

The other analog which jumps out at me, because I live in NYC and can't avoid NY sports coverage, is the Jets blown playoff win-in game of last season.   The following year was an absolute disaster for the team.  Again, time will only tell, but games like those can cost you the trust of your teammates for good.  If Cousins insists on a huge pay day, let him walk.  

1 minute ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Well what's elite talent?  A laser rocket arm?  He's not exactly a statue in the pocket, he can move a little. 

Wasn't RG3 elite talent?

Can he move a little??

he seems scared to make plays with his feet. That's a huge negative in today's game 

yes, RG3 had elite physical talent. Mentally he had nothing 

Just now, BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93 said:

Yea I think a lot of us are angry at his lack of humility after letting his team and fan base down. I mean us normal guys can't have a career bad day at the office when everyone needs us to step up then look at managment and say "you better pay me". So why the hell should Kirk get a pass? He let us down and didn't earn 20+ mil in my opinion. If he wants to be a greedy self serving dog then I feel like he can walk.

5 hours ago, Ron78 said:

I know everyone is in love with Kirk Cousins, and he put up a lot of yards the last couple seasons, but the truth is that he puts up a lot of garbage yards.  He still makes a lot of mental errors and isn't clutch in the red zone.  He is not worth the big contract he wants, and giving him another season to prove his mediocrity via the franchise tag is not worth it.  We need to put that money towards filling other holes (particularly in the secondary) and roll the dice with Colt McCoy.  Hell, we could have an open competition between Colt McCoy and Nate Sudfeld.  But Kirk, despite his many WR's on offense, and his TE who is occasionally not injured, and non-existent running game, and a Defense that would struggle to keep a sick kitten in a kids wading pool is not getting it done. 

Fixed it for you...

But Kirk, despite his many WR's on offense, and his TE who is occasionally not injured, and non-existent running game, and a Defense that would struggle to keep a sick kitten in a kids wading pool is not getting it done. 

You guys crack me up. I suppose we should seriously look at snagging Romo and he can lead this "Potent Offense" to multiple Championships....  Wait you have already seen the light and are ready to plug one of our awesome back-ups into place.

GM fixed the offense last year.

He'll fix the defense this year.

He should franchise Cousins again.  Cousins was not what was holding this team back this year.  

After an offseason infusing talent on defense, we will have a more balanced overall team.  With that in place, our GM can step back and better decide if Cousins is the reason we are staying afloat, or if he is keeping us from reaching the next level. 

It will also be much easier to replace Cousins with another "game manager QB" if our team is balanced enough to not require 5000 yards from the QB to reach a .500 record.

Literally torn because with a better d and run game we could possibly flourish with him. At the same time, I don't want a QB with the lack of mental toughness and non clutch performance when the time calls for one. I hate this honestly because I really wanted him to succeed so that the QB carousel could be put away for once in our lives. The fact that he wants to be paid top dollar when his performance didn't show doesn't help his case at all. It's almost like a "I want to be paid, I know i'm not THAT good, but who else you got to replace me?" type scenario. Even with back to back winning seasons, although I don't count this as winning since we missed the playoffs, I'm still willing to hit the reset button with everyone, including Gruden. I've always wanted to see what type of staff Scot would pick. No need to continue in limbo or "good not great" "decent, but never will fully reach its potential" in my opinion. If Gruden stays, it would be his last year, and I think Scot would be making more personnel decisions going forward, one to protect his own hide, starting with letting Kirk walk.

Is Cousins "less talented" than Matt Ryan or Drew Brees? I see similar arm strength, mobility, etc. What Kirk is very good at usually is spider-sensing the pass rush. He doesn't get hit a lot. That's partly on protection, but he's abnormally good at this too. He's also quite accurate on both the long and the short ball. So, I don't really understand the "talent" aspect of the question.

1 minute ago, KingGibbs said:

OK whipper snappers answer this. If not Kirk who the hell is going to be our QB? Because clearly you have an answer based on how you're willing to let Kirk walk. Would love to see your resolution. 

Right. 

Because then we're going to have to "draft and develop" a quarterback.  Or sign one in FA.  And that QB will have to have a "year to learn the system."  Unless he's a drafted QB then he'll have to have "two or three years to develop" because we need to have "patience"

Which is something that no one here has.

Archived