Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The (only!) official ES all things Kirk Cousins should we shouldn't we off-season thread.

Ron78

1 hour ago, Dissident2 said:

Cooley is really having an interesting breakdown right now on Cousins' last drive. Offering no excuses for him. Play after play where he missed guys who were there. Particularly a play with Jackson on the final drive that Cooley says would've won the game had Cousins hit him. And according to Cooley, he LOOKED at Jackson and turned it down for a checkdown. Cooley says it would've either been a TD or a 60 yard gain. "Those are the moments you decide on a guy, and he missed on a big opportunity where he had guys open. It tells me for sure he didn't step up in a big moment." 

To clarify, Cooley still wants Cousins back, but he sees some red flags after yesterday when it comes to the same thing we've always worried about with Kirk: mental toughness. 

I'll have to check that out in the 980 vault.  Thanks for the heads up!

20 minutes ago, carex said:

oh, I hate people who demand perfection every week.  Even Super Bowl winners lay some eggs

Expecting for a guy who apparently wants to be paid like he was one of the top QBs in the game to not consistently **** the bed in critical situations is not "demanding perfection". Expecting him to not fold like a lawn chair under pressure is not "demanding perfection". Expecting him to not be dreadful in the red zone is not "demanding perfection". Expecting him to not miss wide open guys over and over in crucial situations is not "demanding perfection."

I voted that we should re-sign Cousins to a multi-year contract.

Cousins continues to get better with each year, seems capable of leading the offense, has stayed injury-free, and is one of the more polished post-game interviewers I've seen.  He's never thrown a fellow team-mate, nor a coach under the bus, and I've yet to hear anything bad about him from his teammates.  He's quick, decisive, passionate, has an NFL-worthy arm,  and can get into streaks when his passing is extremely accurate.  His performance would benefit from a better running game and defense -- too many times the Skins offense was one-dimensional and against better defenses geared up vs. the pass, most QBs would have bad days.

Somehow the Redskins backed into finding a QB who could run their offense and one who seems mature enough to know how to continue to fine-tune his game in order to get to the next level.  The Skins would be foolish to simply let that QB walk, in hopes of finding another one who'd probably take a few years to settle in (and maybe even wind up falling short like Ramsey, Campbell, and Griffin.)  I don't feel that McCoy or Sudfeld could take the reins of the 2017 Skins and perform strong enough to take the Skins to the playoffs.

In my opinion, Cousins is one of the reasons that the perennially celler-dwelling Redskins have even sniffed the playoffs these last two years.  (It certainly wasn't the defense, or special teams, or running-game that accomplished that.)  Maybe some folks fail to remember this team was in total re-build mode after Snyder released Shanahan -- a rebuild with very few first round picks, aging over-priced FAs, and a very poor reputation amongst the NFL coaching community.  The team's emergence into a controversy-free franchise capable of contending for the playoffs, is making the chances for a successful rebuild possible -- especially if the QB position gets settled. 

I'll grant Cousins may not be perfect, but already he's better than a lot of QBs on teams with decent running games, defenses, etc.  and he still seems to be improving each year.  IMHO, Cousins is a decent enough QB to build the team around into a perennial playoff contender.

2 minutes ago, KingGibbs said:

OK whipper snappers answer this. If not Kirk who the hell is going to be our QB? Because clearly you have an answer based on how you're willing to let Kirk walk. Would love to see your resolution. 

No idea. Again, I want him back but damn, man. It's tough 

I'd imagine they would have to try a rookie and yes, the offense would take a step back but maybe that is the best long term?

Idk. 

1 minute ago, Burgold said:

Is Cousins "less talented" than Matt Ryan or Drew Brees? I see similar arm strength, mobility, etc. What Kirk is very good at usually is spider-sensing the pass rush. He doesn't get hit a lot. That's partly on protection, but he's abnormally good at this too. He's also quite accurate on both the long and the short ball. So, I don't really understand the "talent" aspect of the question.

Well he was picked in the 4th round so there's no sexy draft status, combine stats or anything to let anyone know that he's an elite talent. 

6 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Well what's elite talent?  A laser rocket arm?  He's not exactly a statue in the pocket, he can move a little. 

Wasn't RG3 elite talent?

We could probably RG and a couple of future 3rd round picks if we traded Kirk and our 1st rounder.... And a competition between RG, Colt and Sudsy is just the fodder the media needs, thing we need to get a Tom Brady//Aaron Rodgers type of QB that can really win games and not just put up stats..... /Sarcasm  

2 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Well he was picked in the 4th round so there's no sexy draft status, combine stats or anything to let anyone know that he's an elite talent. 

His name isn't Brady or Rodgers. Of course he isn't elite.

This thread is only proof of how we lose our minds. The man said Kirk has all garbage yards, thank you for that laugh. Although I,m disappointed in the loss, this game shows us what we need to be in the big dance next season, and we are not far. Beef up our Oline and go Defense in the draft and FA. We need a bad ass defense!

3 minutes ago, BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93 said:

I'd imagine they would have to try a rookie and yes, the offense would take a step back but maybe that is the best long term?

Idk. 

It aint hard. Pay the man.

1 minute ago, -JB- said:

Kirk Cousins plays like a scared sissy boy in a huge game to miss the playoffs and we have people seriously asking "Who are we going to replace him with"?  Cmon now!  He's a bum when it matters most!  Get out of my town!

Yea, he's just a scared sissy that was padding stats. The D had this game WON and we almost took it with the running game. KC just threw it away and didn't have the team pumped up to win.

Clearly not elite, and we need to move on. Anyone got Romo's phone #?

3 minutes ago, BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93 said:

Idk. 

And this is the huge issue I have. The "who else we got" scenario. It's why i'm more pissed than usual about this because I want him to succeed, but time and time again he's showed that he's only barely above average at best. Which almost forces us to continue to take a chance with him since there isn't anyone else. That limbo feeling won't get us over the hump, and forget about a SB appearance. The non clutch performances are the biggest strike against him, not only with missing wide open receivers. He's a system QB, nothing more nothing less. If the system fails, he fails.

1 minute ago, -JB- said:

Kirk Cousins plays like a scared sissy boy in a huge game to miss the playoffs and we have people seriously asking "Who are we going to replace him with"?  Cmon now!  He's a bum when it matters most!  Get out of my town!

I hear you and I don't think Kirk is the answer by any stretch, but he is the best we have right now. We are literally in between a rock and a hard place. We're damned if we do and damned if we don't. 

1 minute ago, -JB- said:

Do you want to go back to the Tony Banks, Jeff George's and Patrick Ramsey's of the wold?

I think thats the standard line amongst Redskins fans these days.

1 minute ago, TryTheBeal! said:

I want a Pro Bowl QB but I want to pay him like a journeyman!  ~ Whiny Redskins Fan

Honestly, that sounds pretty good. Sign me up.

One minor change though-- I want a first ballot HOF level QB on a 7th round draft pick rookie contract with no incentive bonuses.

Just now, jbird said:

Yea, he's just a scared sissy that was padding stats. The D had this game WON and we almost took it with the running game. KC just threw it away and didn't have the team pumped up to win.

Clearly not elite, and we need to move on. Anyone got Romo's phone #?

It's a recurring theme. Don't understand why so many think this is based solely on yesterday 

5 minutes ago, -JB- said:

Have ya watched our attempts to find a QB over the last 20 years
?

15 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Well find an "elite, franchise, qb that can win playoff games" or whatever cliche phrases can be thrown around that isn't getting paid, that doesn't have a huge contract. 

I would slightly agree that he doesn't have Brees talent.  The other hilarious thing about this thread is that people are acting like the book has been written on Cousins, like this is as good as he'll ever be or can be. 

"Slightly agree" that Kirk doesn't have Drew Brees's talent? lol

And you're right, hopefully by the time Kirk is 33 or 34 he'll have learned to not crap the bed in critical pressure situations. Is a robotic QB who has folded under pressure, seems to have no mental toughness in key situations, misses open receivers and gets consistently flustered and put off his game when pressured suddenly going to turn into Aaron Rodgers or something? History doesn't look kindly on those chances. I remember when we all laughed at how much the Cowboys paid Romo a few years ago considering how much of a choke artist he was. I knew Cowboy fans who were saying the same thing about him then. "Well, he can still get better at that stuff". Right.

And, I HATE to say this because it's the goddamn Cowboys, but Romo when he was healthy and a bit younger, was a much better QB than Kirk. Yes, they both fold under pressure, but at least Romo wasn't a robot and could make some great off schedule and improvised plays. He had the playmaker gene, but not the clutch gene. Kirk doesn't have either.

Archived