Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The (only!) official ES all things Kirk Cousins should we shouldn't we off-season thread.

Ron78

22 minutes ago, Bigmuss1 said:

Kirk absolutely needs to be signed, he is the best QB this franchise has had in the past 20 - 30 years.  After yesterday, we get a little discount now for his services.  Anything else would be assinine.  

Agree that he's the best we've had in a long time. (how soon we forget the **** show that's been trotted out at QB for almost all of the past 25 years) 

As for a discount, the problem is, hes a free agent (unless franchised). Some QB needy team is going to be willing to pay him a lot of money, regardless of his last game. 

All it takes is one crazy offer. He's going to get paid. Unless he really wants to play here, you have to at least match that team.

Just now, BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93 said:

It's a recurring theme. Don't understand why so many think this is based solely on yesterday 

A recurring theme -- Over the last two WINNING seasons, where we took the Division last year?

A recurring theme -- Over the last two seasons that most of our team passing records were set and then re-set again this year?

I go back to a statement I made in another thread. This team is 1 KC away from being the 2016 Browns. (I can hear the voices right now... "BUT ATLEAST THE BROWNS GET THE FIRDT PICK!! WE COULD GET AN ELITE QB")

18 minutes ago, KingGibbs said:

OK whipper snappers answer this. If not Kirk who the hell is going to be our QB? Because clearly you have an answer based on how you're willing to let Kirk walk. Would love to see your resolution. 

14 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Right. 

Because then we're going to have to "draft and develop" a quarterback.  Or sign one in FA.  And that QB will have to have a "year to learn the system."  Unless he's a drafted QB then he'll have to have "two or three years to develop" because we need to have "patience"

Which is something that no one here has.

How certain are you this team would not have had identical win loss records had Colt McCoy not been under center certainly this year and possibly even last year?

13 minutes ago, Rex Tomb said:

I'll have to check that out in the 980 vault.  Thanks for the heads up!

Man, if Cooley said it, gotta go with it. He has the definitive eye for judging talent, and he has no agenda or desire to stir the pot!

Imo, Kirk and Gruden have one more year. It's playoffs, vast improvement or both are gone collectively.

Some serious negotiations needs to happen. Many will disagree, but he doesn't deserve that type of contract imo.

Barry does not need to be here next season.

Beef up the D and Run game and see what happens. If Cousins continues to play at this level of uncertainty, he needs to go along w/ Gruden.

The biggest thing that I want is a nasty, nasty defense. Plain and simple. Defense wins championships.

Just now, jbird said:

A recurring theme -- Over the last two WINNING seasons, where we took the Division last year?

A recurring theme -- Over the last two seasons that most of our team passing records were set and then re-set again this year?

I go back to a statement I made in another thread. This team is 1 KC away from being the 2016 Browns. (I can hear the voices right now... "BUT ATLEAST THE BROWNS GET THE FIRDT PICK!! WE COULD GET AN ELITE QB")

Dallas on MNF

GB in the playoffs.

CAR on MNF.

Yesterday.

he's certainly had great performances as well in big games but imo he's underperformed in big games more often than not. The rest of your post is hyperbole 

1 minute ago, skinsarethebest said:

How certain are you this team would not have had identical win loss records had Colt McCoy not been under center certainly this year and possibly even last year?

100%

Please stop talking about Colt, guys 

1 minute ago, jbird said:

Man, if Cooley said it, gotta go with it. He has the definitive eye for judging talent, and he has no agenda or desire to stir the pot!

Cooley loves Kirk.

You're posting a bunch of nonsense right now lol 

4 minutes ago, mistertim said:

"Slightly agree" that Kirk doesn't have Drew Brees's talent? lol

And you're right, hopefully by the time Kirk is 33 or 34 he'll have learned to not crap the bed in critical pressure situations. Is a robotic QB who has folded under pressure, seems to have no mental toughness in key situations, misses open receivers and gets consistently flustered and put off his game when pressured suddenly going to turn into Aaron Rodgers or something? History doesn't look kindly on those chances. I remember when we all laughed at how much the Cowboys paid Romo a few years ago considering how much of a choke artist he was. I knew Cowboy fans who were saying the same thing about him then. "Well, he can still get better at that stuff". Right.

And, I HATE to say this because it's the goddamn Cowboys, but Romo when he was healthy and a bit younger, was a much better QB than Kirk. Yes, they both fold under pressure, but at least Romo wasn't a robot and could make some great off schedule and improvised plays. He had the playmaker gene, but not the clutch gene. Kirk doesn't have either.

Find me a quarterback that hasn't messed up in a critical situation.  That has missed open receivers. 

I mean, you'd be pissed if we had Peyton Manning.  You'd be pissed if we had a young John Elway. 

If you're constantly looking for perfection, you'll never find it because these aren't robots, they're humans. 

2 minutes ago, BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93 said:

Also I think this is moot because Scott isn't gonna pay him. We have no reason to believe he will. Everything we've heard or seen tell us that Scott isn't that big a fan. 

then our O is down to Reed and Crowder, we're going to have to start over.  If I was Gruden, I'd already be looking for a new job

10 minutes ago, RedskinsLegacy said:

This thread is only proof of how we lose our minds. The man said Kirk has all garbage yards, thank you for that laugh. Although I,m disappointed in the loss, this game shows us what we need to be in the big dance next season, and we are not far. Beef up our Oline and go Defense in the draft and FA. We need a bad ass defense!

When you have the kind of numbers he does between the 20s but the horrible red zone numbers and low number of TD passes (25 TDs with almost 5,000 yards is crap) then yeah, those yards are borderline garbage and are fool's gold.

Just now, mistertim said:

When you have the kind of numbers he does between the 20s but the horrible red zone numbers and low number of TD passes (25 TDs with almost 5,000 yards is crap) then yeah, those yards are borderline garbage and are fool's gold.

Red zone wasn't horrible last year.  If you're gonna slurp Cooley all day, he said last week that red zone issues don't last from year to year. 

Lol, 5k yards and 25 touchdowns is garbage.  Take a step back and listen to yourself.

1 minute ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Find me a quarterback that hasn't messed up in a critical situation.  That has missed open receivers. 

I mean, you'd be pissed if we had Peyton Manning.  You'd be pissed if we had a young John Elway. 

If you're constantly looking for perfection, you'll never find it because these aren't robots, they're humans. 

Jesus H. Christ on a broken hoverboard. How many times we does this have to be said? IT ISN'T JUST ONE TIME OR A COUPLE OF TIMES. Nobody is "demanding perfection". Stop acting like he's some consistently elite QB who just had a bad game and just missed open receivers a few times. He CONSISTENTLY does this stuff in key situations.  

2 minutes ago, skinsarethebest said:

Colt McCoy is a noodle armed QB. He had a chance to hit the open market last year, but instead opted to stay with the 'skins. Translation? Nobody else wanted him. Nice try.

2 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Well if Kirk is just like every other QB, he shouldn't be paid like the best logically lol 

2 hours ago, carex said:

.. that is terrible.  You will never win like that.  FAs will start to bypass the team and you'll  be unable to properly judge the talent you do have

Your opinion ... as of now the Team is mired in a miasmic bog of mediocrity.

A healthy slug of "draconia" is in order!

1 minute ago, carex said:

then our O is down to Reed and Crowder, we're going to have to start over.  If I was Gruden, I'd already be looking for a new job

How do you figure our offense would be down to Crowder and Reed? Doctson will be back, I believe that we will re-sign Garçon and we have a lot of FA space.

A big problem with Cousins is that he too often throws to the wrong receiver. There have been a bunch of times this year where the TV coverage showed guys running wide open and not getting the ball because Cousins went elsewhere with it. Yesterday alone, there was a 3rd and 2 early in the game just over midfield where he didn't see a wide open Crowder for a first down and instead launched a deep ball for Reed, who fell down. On the first pick he threw inside the ten when Harris fell, he had Crowder wide open down the seam for an easy TD. Although FOX didn't show Jackson open for a big gain or possible TD on the last drive, the way Cooley spoke about it being a lost opportunity, I'll believe it simply because he saw it live and on film.

Bottom line is that Cousins first pick came on a play where he never saw a wide open receiver for a TD and his second one came on the play after he didn't pull the trigger to an open Jackson on a potential game winner. I should also mention that him not seeing or passing up open guys to throw elsewhere doesn't take into account how many times he doesn't take off and run for big gains when he's got a ton of green in front of him. That includes the play where he threw that ridiculous interception to end our season.  

3 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Red zone wasn't horrible last year.  If you're gonna slurp Cooley all day, he said last week that red zone issues don't last from year to year. 

Lol, 5k yards and 25 touchdowns is garbage.  Take a step back and listen to yourself.

That TD to yards ratio is crap. There's no QB who has thrown for 5,000 yards and had less than 35 passing TDs and usually they're closer to 40 or more. Take a step back and actually look at the numbers. 

If Redskins don't franchise Cousins then I can see Kyle Shanahan and Cousins both ending up in Denver and going to the SuperBowl.  I think Cousins also might be thinking this so won't budge during contract negotiations.  Redskins will have to pay a premium to retain him

3 minutes ago, grego said:

Agree that he's the best we've had in a long time. (how soon we forget the **** show that's been trotted out at QB for almost all of the past 25 years) 

As for a discount, the problem is, hes a free agent (unless franchised). Some QB needy team is going to be willing to pay him a lot of money, regardless of his last game. 

All it takes is one crazy offer. He's going to get paid. Unless he really wants to play here, you have to at least match that team.

He's going to get paid. Would be a shame if it is by some other team.

Just now, DM72 said:

How do you figure our offense would be down to Crowder and Reed? Doctson will be back, I believe that we will re-sign Garçon and we have a lot of FA space.

Doctson has done nothing yet, and you want to saddle him with a backup QB and I think choosing to go into the year with a backup starting might affect our ability to re-sign people

2 minutes ago, mistertim said:

That TD to yards ratio is crap. There's no QB who has thrown for 5,000 yards and had less than 35 passing TDs and usually they're closer to 40 or more. Take a step back and actually look at the numbers. 

Why do you think we struggle in the red zone? Take a look at our RB and how often our TE is injured.

Still not sure what other option there is besides Cousins. No one seems to have made any reasonable suggestions. One half hearted endorsement of Colt McCoy and that's it. I get that Kirk is going to be overpaid, but all QB's are. It's the nature of the game.

I probably wouldn't be upset if we could get something for his departure, like a franchise and trade situation but that seems really unlikely.

The only real option is to sign him to a deal that allows for escape after 2-3 seasons.

Archived