Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The (only!) official ES all things Kirk Cousins should we shouldn't we off-season thread.

Ron78

10 minutes ago, Ron78 said:

What is "fair market value" for a guy who can only whoop up on teams with losing records?  The price absolutely matters when you have so many other holes to fill on your team.  Let some other NFL team be the sucker that pays Kirk "fair market value."  He will make mental errors and overthrow wide open receivers for them instead at a very high cost.

If you build through the draft, then the majority of your team will be cheaper.  Also, he's had good games against good teams. 

Some points:

-All in all, Kurt is not the problem. Tag him one more time, but work on the running game and the defense. 

-Kurt is not a qb that can carry a team. But there are only 2 in the league that are(Tom Brady and Aaron Rogers).

-He has receivers that makes his job easier, but that's it. 

-Qbs are a premium, there are teams that would love to have him and they will pay to get him.

We need to explore every opportunity to get compensation for Cousins departure.  

Last year, his agent supposedly claimed Cousins wanted to test the market.  So, we tag him such that we will get 2 1st round picks if he walks. What does Cousins do?  Signs the tag in one day.  Nice trick.

Fool me once, shame on you.  Fool me twice, shame on me.

3 hours ago, Ron78 said:

Too much.  The market for mediocre quarterbacks is like $18-$25 million.  I don't think Kirk is worth any of that because he makes mental errors in high pressure situations.  Colt McCoy may never be a "great" quarterback, but at least he is reliable and seems to be able to handle pressure.  We probably need someone like Colt to fill the gap while we build the rest of the team.

Lets not get carried away. I don't think Cousins is the answer, but he's still a better QB than Colt. 

23 minutes ago, Gregpeck99 said:

I want the Skins' "franchise" QB to be more Aaron Rogers like.

A gamer ... game after game.

Until then ... I'm willing to continue to constantly rebuild.

that is terrible.  You will never win like that.  FAs will start to bypass the team and you'll  be unable to properly judge the talent you do have

19 minutes ago, KokoMike said:

We need to explore every opportunity to get compensation for Cousins departure.  

Last year, his agent supposedly claimed Cousins wanted to test the market.  So, we tag him such that we will get 2 1st round picks if he walks. What does Cousins do?  Signs the tag in one day.  Nice trick.

Fool me once, shame on you.  Fool me twice, shame on me.

franchise tag keeps you from testing the market, situations like Norman's are rare

6 minutes ago, DM72 said:

Lets not get carried away. I don't think Cousins is the answer, but he's still a better QB than Colt. 

There's no doubt Kirk is better than Colt. But by how much? Enough to warrant the price tag he's going to want this offseason at the expense of building this team elsewhere? I just don't know. I don't know about anything after yesterday. 

Cousins gives me the feeling that he simply wants to get paid franchise money although he's definitely not a franchise QB.  Unlike franchise QBs, he seems to come up small in very important games and in the RZ. On the other hand, a better running game and even a so-so defense may have landed the Redskins in the playoffs.

IMO, he is not a $23-25M a year QB, but it appears that's what he wants if not more.  The GM has a tough decision to make and i suspect he's not happy with the predicament Cousins has put him in, because I don't think that he thinks Cousins is worth that kind of money either.

Overpaying Cousins on a long-term contract or letting him walk could both be devastating for the teams future if GMSM chooses wrong. Cousins could help immensely by simply signing a long-term contract commensurate to his talent level leaving a significant amount of cap space to upgrade the entire team going forward.  Unfortunately, Cousins doesn't appear willing to do that which is sad.

If the other options are colt Mccoy and Nate Sudfield, that makes me want cousins even more.  Has everyone already forgot the Rex Grossman and Jon Beck year.  Do you really want that again?  There's only like 5, if that, QBs who are dominant every game, besides that you have to take the good with the bad from that position.  Kirk showed A LOT of good this year, with basically no run game, and a terrible defense.  That's all you can ask for.  

The guy simply does not have a playmaking bone in his body. If a guy comes open in his natural progressions during a play, he can get the ball there. But he has zero improvisation skills. Zero. Numerous times this season, he had room to run for yards but he's so inundated with "THE PLAY HAS TO BE RUN THIS WAY" that he can't physically make himself divert from the call. Once he starts to scramble, the play is basically dead.

i like him...but can you pay a robot like him with no playmaking skill top guy money??

that is a legit question 

QBs get to much credit/blame for wins/losses. IMO the offense is good enough to compete in the playoffs but is lacking in a few areas.

The defense and a lack of running game are the weak links on this team. The defense needs more speed and playmaking ability (MLBs and Safety) and must play to attack, not react. Running game needs help from play calling/coaching. Too many untimely gimmick plays and a lack of commitment to the run game in critical situations killed drives. 

I'd like to keep cousins. Defense wins championships.

Cooley is really having an interesting breakdown right now on Cousins' last drive. Offering no excuses for him. Play after play where he missed guys who were there. Particularly a play with Jackson on the final drive that Cooley says would've won the game had Cousins hit him. And according to Cooley, he LOOKED at Jackson and turned it down for a checkdown. Cooley says it would've either been a TD or a 60 yard gain. "Those are the moments you decide on a guy, and he missed on a big opportunity where he had guys open. It tells me for sure he didn't step up in a big moment." 

To clarify, Cooley still wants Cousins back, but he sees some red flags after yesterday when it comes to the same thing we've always worried about with Kirk: mental toughness. 

6 minutes ago, BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93 said:

Numerous times this season, he had room to run for yards but he's so inundated with "THE PLAY HAS TO BE RUN THIS WAY" that he can't physically make himself divert from the call

A few times yesterday too, had he just ran instead of forced a throw, we are talking about a trip to Seattle.  I'm not sure this is something that you get better at year after year either, you either have it or you don't.

10 minutes ago, BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93 said:

The guy simply does not have a playmaking bone in his body. If a guy comes open in his natural progressions during a play, he can get the ball there. But he has zero improvisation skills. Zero. Numerous times this season, he had room to run for yards but he's so inundated with "THE PLAY HAS TO BE RUN THIS WAY" that he can't physically make himself divert from the call. Once he starts to scramble, the play is basically dead.

i like him...but can you pay a robot like him with no playmaking skill top guy money??

that is a legit question 

wow, you have not paid attention to him at all.  He scrambles well. We have zone reads in the offense.  That play is purely improvisation because no one knows what's actually happening

I hate talking intangibles because you can't prove any of this stuff.

But Kirk is soft. He's not an alpha. From the first drive, you knew what kind of performance we were gonna get from him. When things don't get as planned, he folds. To be fair, he doesn't throw the ints in bunches but instead he'll just miss over and over. His body language is just so sad. After every sack, I watched him shuffle back to the sideline like a hurt dog. 

Then he further shows his ****assness in his post game presser. Can you win with this guy????

i don't know 

1 minute ago, BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93 said:

I hate talking intangibles because you can't prove any of this stuff.

But Kirk is soft. He's not an alpha. From the first drive, you knew what kind of performance we were gonna get from him. When things don't get as planned, he folds. To be fair, he doesn't throw the ints in bunches but instead he'll just miss over and over. His body language is just so sad. After every sack, I watched him shuffle back to the sideline like a hurt dog. 

Then he further shows his ****assness in his post game presser. Can you win with this guy????

i don't know 

Man, you're calling it how I see it.

2 minutes ago, carex said:

wow, you have not paid attention to him at all.  He scrambles well. We have zone reads in the offense.  That play is purely improvisation because no one knows what's actually happening

Kirk has missed on the zone read constantly this season. You're hyping him off of two TD runs. 

You're a defender of everybody on the team. You did the same with the previous regime. That's cool. 

But youre wrong here. Smarter ppl than both of us have said the same thing I have 

6 minutes ago, Dissident2 said:

Cooley is really having an interesting breakdown right now on Cousins' last drive. Offering no excuses for him. Play after play where he missed guys who were there. Particularly a play with Jackson on the final drive that Cooley says would've won the game had Cousins hit him. And according to Cooley, he LOOKED at Jackson and turned it down for a checkdown. Cooley says it would've either been a TD or a 60 yard gain. "Those are the moments you decide on a guy, and he missed on a big opportunity where he had guys open. It tells me for sure he didn't step up in a big moment." 

To clarify, Cooley still wants Cousins back, but he sees some red flags after yesterday when it comes to the same thing we've always worried about with Kirk: mental toughness. 

At this point it's not just about "wanting him back". If he were going to be paid $18M a year that's one thing but the guy wants to be the highest paid player in the league. You don't pay a gutless player record money. I'm sorry, you just can't do it. 

I'll hold the door. People make fun of Eli manning for late game picks but Kirk has single handly lost us 3 game this year. Dallas, Panthers, and Giants. (You can throw in Cincy and Arizona into the debate as well)

Let's not forget that pick 6 in Philly a few weeks ago.

Kirk is AVERAGE! You fans really want to settle for average? 

6 minutes ago, carex said:

He watches as much football as the rest of us. He's paid attention I promise you. 

How many times did he not pull the trigger yesterday?He looks so stressed out there, not having any fun at all,not much emotion.After picks just jogs back to sidelines.I like his arm but not his makeup.As many have stated he is just too robotic & like I said pregame seeing him take big deep breath in warm ups "we're screwed"

We need to pay the man long term. Kirk has had no running game the last 2 seasons and has had to carry this team on his back. 

After taking some time from this loss to calm down and reflect you cant help but be excited for the future. I have been watching this team for 21 years now and Kirk is the best QB we have had in two decades.

We get a running game to go with Crowder and Reed look out NFL bc we can have the balance to be a contender. 

Cousins is to Washington what Brees was to San Diego. Let him leave and we will regret it. Just ask Charger fans.

Give me Cousins over the trash we use to have at QB over the years. We need a running game and lineman who can protect Cousins. The Green Bay playoff game last year and the Giants game yesterday are a product of a team that is built to win in a dome not in the cold.

Give Cousins a Riggo and he can be our Joey T.

Archived