Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The (only!) official ES all things Kirk Cousins should we shouldn't we off-season thread.

Ron78

I think Allen and company are going to wait until the draft is over and then they will get down to business.  Also on the OTAs they will be able to see how Pryor and Doctson are coming along with KC and then I know we will see movement.  Personally I believe we can't be stupid not to get this done, especially now that Gruden has extended.

Kirk Cousins: If Redskins are committed, ‘then why would I want to be anywhere else?’

Some Redskins fans this offseason have worried that Kirk Cousins has no interest in signing a long-term deal with the Redskins. They’ve studied his words for any clue that he’d like to spend the bulk of his career in this town, and they’ve criticized him for his indifference. Still, Cousins — who has admitted that he attempts to be bland and noncontroversial in his media appearances — has seemed to remain noncommittal, stressing that the decision about his future is not his, and that every NFL player is essentially on a year-to-year deal.

Well, if Redskins fans wanted more, they finally got it, via a lengthy interview with MMQB’s Peter King. In a podcast posted this week, King flat-out asked Cousins whether he wants to stay in Washington. And while Cousins repeated many of his typical talking points, he also tossed a juicy bone to frustrated Redskins fans.

“I want to be where I’m wanted, and that’s what I’ve said all along,” Cousins told King. “When a team is willing to step up and commit to me fully for the long haul, then why would I want to be anywhere else? I mean, this is an incredible fan base. It’s one of the top five fan bases in the history of the NFL. It goes all the way back to the early 1930s. There’s three Super Bowl trophies, there’s multiple Hall of Famers, there’s high character players still living in the area — Darrell Green, Art Monk, guys that we can learn from.

“I love this organization and want to see us get back to those glory days that they had with Coach [Joe] Gibbs in the ‘80s and early ‘90s. And I want to add to that great history. There’s really no reason to want to look elsewhere. It’s a matter of wanting to be where you’re wanted, and I think that’s what all of us want — not just in football but in any walk of life.”

Just pay the man and know you have you at worst, a very solid qb for the next 5 to 7 years. That is no small thing in this league. And whatever you pay him know -- 24 mil a year with massive guarantees -- isn't going to seem bad in a year or two. 

Jay and Kirk are the best thing to happen to the Skins in ages. Jay is wildly underrated as a coach IMO. To deal with this organization and the media, the circus that is always the Redskins... well there's a reason no coach before Jay has had two winning seasons in a row under Snyder. Because he makes it damn near impossible.

To me, a LTD has to be inevitable.  I know the media has done their best to manipulate and lie, and try and create as much drama as possible to get views.  I get that.  But the reality is Cousins has said from the very start he wants to be here, and even though the media has pushed the opposite, his last statement could not make it any more crystal clear that he wants to be here.  Thats 1 of the 2 sides we need for a completed deal.

For the other side, I keep coming back to even Dan Snyder and Bruce Allen cannot be so stupid as to not give him a long term deal.

Its going to happen.  I would be shocked if it didnt, and if it didnt it would just be the final straw in the Bruce Allen/ Dan Snyder clown act.

For me nothing new about Kirk wanting to be here.  I posted on this using previous Kirk I want to be here type quotes months ago.   I think there is plenty of evidence that the media is off on Kirk not wanting to be here.  To me this issue is still just what it looks like:

A.  Kirk and his agent thinks the tag sets market value and wants X.

B.  Bruce so far isn't willing to pay X

C.  Either Bruce is playing tough in negotiations and intends to pay Kirk X but wants to play out the negotiations before relenting or maybe succeeds in getting Kirk to relent or they hit an impasse because they disagree on money.

In fairness, Chris Cooley is especially insistent that Kirk wants to be here and would happily sign here at the right price.  Laconfora ditto as for the national media.  I generally like Grant Paulsen but the dude has practically lobbied Kirk on air not to take a LTD here and keeps spreading pessimism. 

Edit:  I think these quotes if anything put Bruce further on the spot -- just on one front which is there isn't the excuse of we wanted the dude but he just didn't want to be here, nothing we could do about it.  Having said that, I am not going to give Bruce a hard time unless its July 15th and they don't get a deal done.    If a deal doesn't get done then -- I think attacking Bruce is more than fair game.  

2 hours ago, Peregrine said:

To me, a LTD has to be inevitable.  I know the media has done their best to manipulate and lie, and try and create as much drama as possible to get views.  I get that.  But the reality is Cousins has said from the very start he wants to be here, and even though the media has pushed the opposite, his last statement could not make it any more crystal clear that he wants to be here.  Thats 1 of the 2 sides we need for a completed deal.

For the other side, I keep coming back to even Dan Snyder and Bruce Allen cannot be so stupid as to not give him a long term deal.

Its going to happen.  I would be shocked if it didnt, and if it didnt it would just be the final straw in the Bruce Allen/ Dan Snyder clown act.

I hope Kirk and agent cannot be so stupid enough not to sign a deal here. 

6 minutes ago, wit33 said:

I hope Kirk and his agent cannot be so stupid enough not to sign a deal here. 

Per Mike Jones said yesterday, Redskins have offered Kirk a low number in terms of guaranteed money.  If so, that's not what I'd call a we want you long term type of offer from the FO.  The burden IMO is on Bruce to step up the offer not on Kirk to take a low ball offer if that's what's indeed in play. 

55 minutes ago, wit33 said:

I hope Kirk and his agent cannot be so stupid enough not to sign a deal here. 

You know how it is, people date that girl/guy they know they shouldnt, they see them for what they should be, instead of what they are, keep hoping they will change, and despite every else telling them to leave and go elsewhere, they just cant.  The heart wants what the heart wants.

1 hour ago, Peregrine said:

You know how it is, people date that girl/guy they know they shouldnt, they see them for what they should be, instead of what they are, keep hoping they will change, and despite every else telling them to leave and go elsewhere, they just cant.  The heart wants what the heart wants.

It's unfortunate Skins are working with a guy who grew up reading Scot Boras literature. 

17 hours ago, Morneblade said:

Ah, then I misread your post then. :)

True, but a team, like say Houston, has a fantastic Defense, a #1 WR and the only thing really missing is a QB. He goes there, they are probably a top 4 team.

I think Kirk can run just about any offense. He's smart, accurate and makes quick reads. And I think he thinks that too.

Good points, and Houston is exactly why I didn't post that "any team Kirk goes to is a rebuild and gamble." I agree he'd likely do well in Houston, but even there the system is not familiar but it would be the best spot for him. Kirk likely can run most systems, but there will be a learning curve for a season. Even Matt Ryan just went through a learning curve under Kyle Shanahan before doing well this season. Houston is the only team I can think of currently that would be interested in Kirk that presents a good chance at quick success. But even then we're a better spot due to the familairity Kirk has with the system and he could take off this year with these tall WRs we brought in for him. 

Then Kirk had this to say today on MMQB (from Dan Steinberg tweet):C9ySiJeXUAENX7J.jpg

So, seemingly, Skins are Cousins' ideal spot and now he's simply saying what he has been, that he wants a serious LTD offer from the team. The etam has to do it. The fan backlash would be insane if they don't get it done. You all know I prefer optimism because I like to enjoy football. Even I'll be hopping mad and cursing this team if they don't get a LTD done. I love what Cousins said today. Proves 100% he wants to be here (though most of us already knew that).

1 minute ago, elkabong82 said:

Good points, and Houston is exactly why I didn't post that "any team Kirk goes to is a rebuild and gamble." I agree he'd likely do well in Houston, but even there the system is not familiar but it would be the best spot for him. Kirk likely can run most systems, but there will be a learning curve for a season. Even Matt Ryan just went through a learning curve under Kyle Shanahan before doing well this season. Houston is the only team I can think of currently that would be interested in Kirk that presents a good chance at quick success. But even then we're a better spot due to the familairity Kirk has with the system and he could take off this year with these tall WRs we brought in for him. 

Then Kirk had this to say today on MMQB (from Dan Steinberg tweet):C9ySiJeXUAENX7J.jpg

So, seemingly, Skins are Cousins' ideal spot and now he's simply saying what he has been, that he wants a serious LTD offer from the team. The etam has to do it. The fan backlash would be insane if they don't get it done. You all know I prefer optimism because I like to enjoy football. Even I'll be hopping mad and cursing this team if they don't get a LTD done. I love what Cousins said today. Proves 100% he wants to be here (though most of us already knew that).

Kirk would likely not be as good in Houston for a year, as he learned the offense, but he wouldn't have to carry the team either. That defense is loaded and he could take a step back and still get them to the Conference Championship. Heck, the won the division with "who" playing QB?

Yeah, that interview I hope pretty much sealed the deal for most fans. I think it was exactly what many were saying he was not saying (and he also mentioned about stuff being taken out of context and therefore being very careful about what he said at times), so I hope it shows them that "he wants to be here". As usual for Kirk it hit all the important things, Gibbs, amazing fans, HoF players still in the area, history of the team, pretty much hit all the buttons a fan could want. I also hope it puts more PR pressure on Allen to get a deal done. With Kawann Short just signing a $80 million extension, who knows. Maybe it gets done early.

Or not. ;)

21 minutes ago, Morneblade said:

Kirk would likely not be as good in Houston for a year, as he learned the offense, but he wouldn't have to carry the team either. That defense is loaded and he could take a step back and still get them to the Conference Championship. Heck, the won the division with "who" playing QB?

Yeah, that interview I hope pretty much sealed the deal for most fans. I think it was exactly what many were saying he was not saying (and he also mentioned about stuff being taken out of context and therefore being very careful about what he said at times), so I hope it shows them that "he wants to be here". As usual for Kirk it hit all the important things, Gibbs, amazing fans, HoF players still in the area, history of the team, pretty much hit all the buttons a fan could want. I also hope it puts more PR pressure on Allen to get a deal done. With Kawann Short just signing a $80 million extension, who knows. Maybe it gets done early.

Or not. ;)

Nice avatar change lol...

Gotta agree that Kirk and his agent are playing this superbly thus far in terms of getting a LTD done. It feels, though, as if they're paving the way for a LTD more so than putting pressure on the team to make a better offer. He knows the Redskins want to make a long term commitment to him, it's just a matter of the particulars. I alluded to that earlier when I said once the first few rounds of the draft go by I think it will cause some fans to feel more like the Skins really are gonna be working on getting Cousins signed--right now the biggest thing the Skins could do to make Cousins feel they aren't committed to him long term would be drafting a QB in the first several rounds. A low offer can be increased...a QB drafted in the high rounds can't get down-graded to a 7th rounder lol.

I'm just hoping that Cousins' words will finally put an end to the "Cousins feels disrespected by Snyder and Allen and can't wait to get out of Washington and rejoin Kyle, the guy who believed in him all along" twaddle that keeps popping up on the thread.

Archived