Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The (only!) official ES all things Kirk Cousins should we shouldn't we off-season thread.

Ron78

I'm pretty sure that people who didn't think KC wanted to be here still don't think he wants to be here.  He's already said all of this before and for some reason those people simply think he's lying.  I'm not sure why saying it again would change their mind.

9 hours ago, Morneblade said:

BOOM!

Maybe that will help some of the pandemonium around here. Ah, who am I kidding.......:rofl89:

i know right? But for some reason the author of the article still wanted to paint kirk as "non commital" 

I mean, bro, what is he supposed to say? No matter that contract they offer me i'll sign it?

19 hours ago, Tsailand said:

I love me some Kirk, but Aaron Rodgers is better....Rodgers is under contract until 2020.

Agreed. I meant NFC East.  Rogers is definitely a MVP that's not done yet.  Just read an article about his workout program and he says he's in better shape then in a long time.  Depending on the off season holes that GB fills, they're definitely as normal contending for the NFC Championship.

As for the NFC East, KC is the best QB right now going into the 2017 season.  He's earned it and year 3 starter in the same system will be huge.

2 hours ago, Califan007 said:

More than a few, though, felt he was counting the days to free agency next year to get out of this cesspool of disrespect and dysfunction and would take a monstrous offer from Allen and Snyder for him to stay...

The recent article about the Browns willing to trade the first pick in the draft for a 'Veteran' QB might help get the deal done before the draft, but they're running out of time.  $.02

15 hours ago, Califan007 said:

More than a few, though, felt he was counting the days to free agency next year to get out of this cesspool of disrespect and dysfunction and would take a monstrous offer from Allen and Snyder for him to stay...

Whether its deserved or undeserved, I think the Scot firing and all that lead up to it was dysfunctional looking and I think the FO/Bruce has almost no feel it seems for public relations so they give an air of incompetence.  And they haven't really built a reservoir of good will to earn the benefit of the doubt on that front.   Having said that, Joel Corry and others in this business were asked about how that would impact free agency/contracts, etc and most agreed -- none.  When it comes to FA/contracts its all about $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ and the other stuff most players/agents don't care about.

That pertains IMO to the task at hand with Kirk, people can spin all these narratives about who Kirk likes and doesn't like, how Bruce feels or doesn't feel about Kirk, etc.  But the bottom line, its likely very simple.  Kirk wants this. Is Bruce willing to pay it?  If not, is there some compromise possible?  If we are stuck in this moment in time, I'd sum it up that Bruce is backing all the rhetoric about deep down he isn't committed to Kirk long term.  But in Bruce's defense he deserves a disclaimer to that narrative which is we are not stuck in this moment in time, contract negotiations can often evolve over time.

Kirk keeps going back to the team can make a commitment to him and if so he suggests he's on board.  Translation:  a contract that approaches the tag with a decent amount of guaranteed money.  Bruce according to reports isn't budging yet in that direction.  I do think nailing Bruce for not making a serious commitment to Kirk thus far and talk is cheap about wanting him -- is totally fair -- since its how its played out so far.  But IMO what's missing is a disclaimer for this which is it could totally be a negotiating ploy and if so he wouldn't be the first to play hard ball before the July 15th deadline.  

My one caveat to that is IMO the Redskins don't have the leverage that most teams often have in these situations -- presuming that Kirk isn't bluffing in that he's perfectly fine playing on a one year deal and is open to seeing what's next after that.   As some in the business have said what makes Kirk unusual is he doesn't seem deterred about playing without long term security -- and often players are anxious about getting a long term contract and are nervous about one year deals because of injury, etc.  So my gut is if Bruce is trying to wear Kirk's agent down before July 15th -- its unlikely to work because they are comfortable with door #2. 

2 hours ago, Veryoldschool said:

Very good Cousins interview.  Extremely bright, articulate, tremendous, affable young man with a remarkable focus and amazing self discipline.

Schoolboy good looks, arm of Marino, hair that can't be tamed, football IQ of Payton Manning, eyes that seem to say, "You like that?", and a hog like Jabar Gaffney.

4 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

My one caveat to that is IMO the Redskins don't have the leverage that most teams often have in these situations

Why would Bruce want to shut the door before July 15???? There is NO gain to sign early. Bruce stated he wants Kirk BUT WHAT IF..Cleveland comes up with a 2 #1's Offer, or we get a trade offer that BLOWS the doors off the thing. We don't KNOW what the potential for a Hershall Walker type trade there is...Why is there so much consternation???? Kirk is a professional and HE is playing a high stakes Texas Holdem...why can't Bruce?? THIS IS WHAT PROFESSIONAL SPORTS IS, Guys....nothing personal. IF a TRADE Happens..I am sure BOTH Parties will be HAPPY with the results..cause Kirk will KNOW he's wanted by the $$ and the Skins will get a BOAT LOAD of compensation. If it doesn't, Kirk will KNOW he's wanted here with a LTD and the Skins are happy. IF NOT...we'll Re-evaluate in 2018. Kirk stock could fall..2018 is supposed to be a QB deep draft...

Am I the ONLY one thinking Bruce is right to hold his cards and call the bet???

41 minutes ago, The Hangman- C_Hanburger said:

Why would Bruce want to shut the door before July 15???? There is NO gain to sign early. Bruce stated he wants Kirk BUT WHAT IF..Cleveland comes up with a 2 #1's Offer, or we get a trade offer that BLOWS the doors off the thing.

A.  If the idea is maybe it would be intriguing to trade Kirk and see what we can get for him -- I'd be all in on this, yeah run this right up to the draft and see what teams offer.  

B.  If you are of the mind that the team for 25 years or so failed to find a franchise QB and we don't want to start over from scratch let alone trust that they strike lightening in a bottle and find a new franchise QB quickly in spite of their abysmal track record on these quests in the past -- then the idea of trading Kirk has zero appeal.   I am in this category.

You got a bunch of people (though not all) on this thread that fall in the B category so the idea of getting jazzed about Bruce trying to jack up Kirk's trade value before the draft -- has no appeal to people with that mindset    If you take Bruce at his word he isn't try to trade Kirk but just get them to agree on price.  If the idea is what do you have to lose by dragging this out until the wire on July 15th -- because maybe Kirk's agent relents -- I can ride on that logic. 

1 hour ago, carex said:

is this all starting to feel very high school romance to anyone else

Not all all.   Thus far, we got Bruce lowballing Kirk as to guaranteed money.  To use a dating analogy since you got one cooking here -- Bruce keeps telling the girl he wants to date her but weekend after weekend, he doesn't ask her out.   Don't get why the girl would be the one asked about what gives?  The what gives question is IMO 100% on Bruce. 

6 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Not all all.   Thus far, we got Bruce lowballing Kirk as to guaranteed money.  To use a dating analogy since you got one cooking here -- Bruce keeps telling the girl he wants to date her but weekend after weekend, he doesn't ask her out.   Don't get why the girl would be the one asked about what gives?  The what gives question is IMO 100% on Bruce. 

I think he was referring to the posts by Veryoldschool and Sacks N Stuff lol...

33 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

B.  If you are of the mind that the team for 25 years or so failed to find a franchise QB and we don't want to start over from scratch let alone trust that they strike lightening in a bottle and find a new franchise QB quickly in spite of their abysmal track record on these quests in the past -- then the idea of trading Kirk has zero appeal.   I am in this category.

It's fair to entertain the idea that Gruden hasn't been choosing our QBs for the past 25 years, and possible that BA has faith in his eye/developmental abilities.

4 hours ago, bowhunter said:

It's fair to entertain the idea that Gruden hasn't been choosing our QBs for the past 25 years, and possible that BA has faith in his eye/developmental abilities.

Love Jay.  But there is no such GM or coach with the reputation of just killing it every time they draft a QB.  It's been mostly a crap shoot -- especially if you don't have the first pick in the draft.   We've had Mike Shanahan get it wrong in the mix of choices both here and Denver, Norv Turner, Jim Zorn was supposed to be the magic QB coach who could turn around JC and also apparently loved Mark Sanchez in the draft.

As a fan, if I didn't go through this all year after year for a long time -- maybe I'd feel differently.  I recall like it was yesterday reading the SI article about Norv Turner being the QB guru and Heath Shuler is a can't miss QB.  I recall Bill Polian saying RG3 is can't miss.  I recall Zorn apparently made Hasselback into what he was and why couldn't he do it with Campbell.  I recall Gibbs falling in love with Campbell when scoping out Rogers at Auborn.  I recall the Spurrier years where it was all about the system.  On and on.

So somehow Jay transcends it all and just hits lightening in the bottle in one fell swoop in one draft.  You never know.  But I'd bet a lot of money that the Redskins don't pull it off.   For the simple reason that most teams fail to land a franchise QB quickly -- its not easily done.  Unless they have one of the top 3 picks in the 2018 draft -- then I'd jack up the odds a little.  

4 hours ago, carex said:

actually I was referring to the thing  in the breaking news section.  "Oh, I'll sign with the Redskins if they really want me."

OK if so, then my post was on point.  :)

1 hour ago, The Hangman- C_Hanburger said:

Why would Bruce want to shut the door before July 15???? There is NO gain to sign early. Bruce stated he wants Kirk BUT WHAT IF..Cleveland comes up with a 2 #1's Offer, or we get a trade offer that BLOWS the doors off the thing. We don't KNOW what the potential for a Hershall Walker type trade there is...Why is there so much consternation???? Kirk is a professional and HE is playing a high stakes Texas Holdem...why can't Bruce?? THIS IS WHAT PROFESSIONAL SPORTS IS, Guys....nothing personal. IF a TRADE Happens..I am sure BOTH Parties will be HAPPY with the results..cause Kirk will KNOW he's wanted by the $$ and the Skins will get a BOAT LOAD of compensation. If it doesn't, Kirk will KNOW he's wanted here with a LTD and the Skins are happy. IF NOT...we'll Re-evaluate in 2018. Kirk stock could fall..2018 is supposed to be a QB deep draft...

The Skins would have to be certifiably stupid to take 2 1st round draft picks for Cousins.  Even if you used both 1st picks on drafting a QB the chances of having 1 of them blossom into a reliable, consistent Pro Bowl level QB are minuscule.  Bucking the odds like this on a franchise QB would be brain dead stupid.  Doing this is as dumb as a guy taking a lump sum retirement check from his employer and going to the nearest 7-11 and buying lottery tickets because he is confident if he spends several hundred thousand on lottery tickets he'll hit the jackpot.  Are the Redskins dumb enough to take a sucker bet like this ABSOLUTELY!

Dan Snyder is definitely a sucker for the big move masterstroke play an probably gets a woody thinking about making the bold move, being the center of media attention, drafting Deshaun Watson ( I the first), making millions on jerseys, and having another 1st pick to blow.  Thankfully, Cousins is just on the franchise tag so Cleveland isn't going to offer 2 first round picks to rent Cousins for 1 year at 24M.

Archived