Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The 2017 FA Thread - OP Updated with Signings (Sundberg, Galette, VD, Hood re-signed) *** Terrell McClain, Stacy McGee, DJ Swearinger, Terrelle Pryor, Chris Carter, Brian Quick, ZACH BROWN(!!)***

DC9

Since when did...

-releasing aged vets aquired in FA.

-re-signing your own

-signing gap fillers in FA

-Building through the draft

Become a thing of the past?

People are always in panic mode when we dont sign the next biggest FA. Just because Scot was fired, doesn't mean the rest of thebscouting unit that was here before Scot arrived and still here after he left didnt learn from Scots example. We have 10 picks coming up. Hopefully we can find 5 potential starters, and 2 impact players. 

The past 2 years we've taken that approach. Why stop now? We are following suite. Continue the process. 

Just now, William Barbour said:

Since when did...

-re-signing your own

People are always in panic mode when we dont sign the next biggest FA. Just because Scot was fired, doesn't mean the rest of thebscouting unit that was here before Scot arrived and still here after he left didnt learn from Scots example. We have 10 picks coming up. Hopefully we can find 5 potential starters, and 2 impact players. 

The past 2 years we've taken that approach. Why stop now? We are following suite. Continue the process. 

Well, we didn't really resign our own. Most, were either cut or not resigned.

FA class was a mixed bag.

You fill holes with FA, build with the draft. Lots of holes are left. Gaping holes. Now, you have to try and fill them in the draft, which means reaching for players. As it happens, our biggest hole happens to be in a position where there is one guy that looks really good, and then a big drop off.

In FA, there were 3-4 guys that would have been great. One is still out there, but it does not look like we're even talking to him.

We had a terrible defense last year. We have not improved it, at all. ILB is still a disaster. DL is a complete mess, and worse than last year. Secondary should be a little better. We had cap space and did very little to get it better.

52 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

It's a pipe dream because of the cap implications, but Norman and Sherman... 

Richard Sherman Trade Rumors: Seahawks Reportedly Open to Dealing Star CB

According to The Ringer's Michael Lombardi (h/t NEPatriotsDraft.com's Mike Loyko), "Seattle really would be open to moving Richard Sherman if the offer was serious."

Previously signed to a four-year, $56 million contract, Sherman is owed base salaries of $11.4 million this season and $11 million in 2018 before he becomes a free agent in the spring of 2019. 

Those are steep numbers, but Sherman has proved worth the investment as he's remained effective into his late 20s. 

i ****ing hate Dick Sherman, and would be so disgusted if that loud-mouth piece of **** was on our team.  Plus, that would be so much money tied up in two CB's, that would be crazy.  Let him stay in Seattle.  I already despise that team, so I can maintain directing all my hatred for them in one location. ;) 

3 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

Yeah, I'm a no on sherman. I feel, more than anyone in the history of football, looked better because of the team that surrounded him. Having Kam and Earl as your safety help would make just about an corner look good.

Sorry but that is ridiculous. Sherman can ball. Sure he's a loud mouth arrogant s.o.b. But he can ball. 

Too much money to be paired with norman though. 

4 hours ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

Baker on Twitter taking the piss out of the organisation again about RJF being released. Poor form and glad he's gone. I really think Breeland is walking a fine line too. Can't see that ending well.

Was the complaints before or after the defensive coordinator gave his interview today saying he told him to be quiet and listen?

I would have liked Baker to come back on the condition we actually signed a stud or two to anchor the line.   The thing is the middle of the D-line was not a strength, and after the acquisitions I still wouldn't call it a strength, but at least the guys we got our younger and probably will have more productive years ahead of them than the guys they let walk.

People quickly forgot how bad the front 7 was last year. 

1 hour ago, HTTRDynasty said:

It's a pipe dream because of the cap implications, but Norman and Sherman... 

Richard Sherman Trade Rumors: Seahawks Reportedly Open to Dealing Star CB

According to The Ringer's Michael Lombardi (h/t NEPatriotsDraft.com's Mike Loyko), "Seattle really would be open to moving Richard Sherman if the offer was serious."

Previously signed to a four-year, $56 million contract, Sherman is owed base salaries of $11.4 million this season and $11 million in 2018 before he becomes a free agent in the spring of 2019. 

Those are steep numbers, but Sherman has proved worth the investment as he's remained effective into his late 20s. 

Umm hell yes please would ship our 1st for him in an instant one of few players outside this team I like and respect. Jeez our back end would be incredible with him there holy ****. And if you look into what the championship teams over the past few years have in common it's that they have elite corners. I wonder what a reasonable deal would be to get that done? No one in the first round at 17 could have the impact Sherman would on this team. Not usually for the guys people seem to like here like Hankins over rated as hell but this I would be estatic about 

2 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

I would have liked Baker to come back on the condition we actually signed a stud or two to anchor the line.   The thing is the middle of the D-line was not a strength, and after the acquisitions I still wouldn't call it a strength, but at least the guys we got our younger and probably will have more productive years ahead of them than the guys they let walk.

People quickly forgot how bad the front 7 was last year. 

For the people that are against the FA moves we've made on the DL so far, I think it's more likely that they remember all too well how bad the front 7 was last year.  They just aren't sure the front office remembers.

54 minutes ago, Morneblade said:

Well, we didn't really resign our own. Most, were either cut or not resigned.

FA class was a mixed bag.

You fill holes with FA, build with the draft. Lots of holes are left. Gaping holes. Now, you have to try and fill them in the draft, which means reaching for players. As it happens, our biggest hole happens to be in a position where there is one guy that looks really good, and then a big drop off.

In FA, there were 3-4 guys that would have been great. One is still out there, but it does not look like we're even talking to him.

We had a terrible defense last year. We have not improved it, at all. ILB is still a disaster. DL is a complete mess, and worse than last year. Secondary should be a little better. We had cap space and did very little to get it better.

Who did we let go that we drafted?

We've re-signed...

Kerrigan 

Williams

Reed

Thompson 

I probably missed a few. I dont count Garcon or Djax. We aquired them in FA. Baker as well. They did their role and produced for us in the past years. Being 30+, you really cant fault the Redskins from moving on. 

As for your other point. This team has had several holes for a while now. We were able to fix the offense by drafting talent, and that allowed us to release the gap fillers who are getting older. Next, will be the defense. Will we be able to fix everything wrong with the defense in this offseason? Probably not.... It's worth keeping the faith and following the path we have at the moment for me. The past 2 years have given me that encouragement. 

25 minutes ago, William Barbour said:

Since when did...

-re-signing your own

because last year we had little success with that and out GM to now had little success with out weakest area of need

59 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I wanted a linebacker.

i got one.

only issue is that I had to look up Chris Carter to figure out he was a linebacker. And I watch a lot of football. 

*sigh

we're probably not re-signing Garvin and teams are a key role for backup LB

2 minutes ago, carex said:

because last year we had little success with that and out GM to now had little success with out weakest area of need

Because the team anticipated Garconnand Djax asking for big money. So we have Doctson. Now if he pans out, we will all be excited. 

51 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Poe could have gotten 5 yrs, $60M from the Colts.  That's likely only going to make Hankins hold out even longer until he gets the $10M + that he wants.

Key question is how much of that 60 mill was guaranteed?

41 minutes ago, bobandweave said:

Umm hell yes please would ship our 1st for him in an instant one of few players outside this team I like and respect. Jeez our back end would be incredible with him there holy ****. And if you look into what the championship teams over the past few years have in common it's that they have elite corners. I wonder what a reasonable deal would be to get that done? No one in the first round at 17 could have the impact Sherman would on this team. Not usually for the guys people seem to like here like Hankins over rated as hell but this I would be estatic about 

You'd give up a first for an aging CB with a monster contract that has been solid, but is surrounded by the best safety help in the league? No thanks

45 minutes ago, William Barbour said:

Who did we let go that we drafted?

We've re-signed...

Kerrigan 

Williams

Reed

Thompson 

I probably missed a few. I dont count Garcon or Djax. We aquired them in FA. Baker as well. They did their role and produced for us in the past years. Being 30+, you really cant fault the Redskins from moving on. 

As for your other point. This team has had several holes for a while now. We were able to fix the offense by drafting talent, and that allowed us to release the gap fillers who are getting older. Next, will be the defense. Will we be able to fix everything wrong with the defense in this offseason? Probably not.... It's worth keeping the faith and following the path we have at the moment for me. The past 2 years have given me that encouragement. 

I see what you're saying, and it has merit. But I'll also say this. To the point I bolded, the guy that was responsible for a lot of that is now gone. I don't have the same trust in the current situation with our FO.

Archived