Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The 2017 FA Thread - OP Updated with Signings (Sundberg, Galette, VD, Hood re-signed) *** Terrell McClain, Stacy McGee, DJ Swearinger, Terrelle Pryor, Chris Carter, Brian Quick, ZACH BROWN(!!)***

DC9

36 minutes ago, pcbothwel said:

You clearly said that we let a 275 and 260 hitter go (Baker and RJF) for player that MIGHT be 255 hitters (McLain and McGee). You basically said in finite terms that both players we signed are worse than both players we let got, even if by a slim margin. Im arguing that there is no reason to assume this statement is FACT.

All we can go by is performance-to-date. And those FACTS show we replaced two avg players with below avg players. But by all means, go ahead and hope and pray that each of these players' 5 year+ careers have been a lie and that they will magically turn it around now... 

We've done this same dlineman dance the past couple off-seasons and this team has worn out its benefit of the doubt.

1 hour ago, SemperFi Skins said:

http://nfltraderumors.co/redskins-hosting-db-darius-butler-visit/

Jason La Canfora of CBS Sports is reporting that the Redskins are hosting free agent DB Darius Butler for visit on Thursday. However, the Colts are interested in re-signing him.

Butler has already met with the Bears, but left Chicago without a contract agreement in place.

Butler, 30, is a former second-round pick of the Patriots back in 2009. He spent the first two years of his career in New England before he was waived and later claimed by the Panthers at the start of the 2011 season.

The Colts signed Butler as a free agent in September of 2012 and he has spent the past five years in Indianapolis.

In 2016, Butler appeared in 12 games and recorded 33 tackles, three interceptions, a forced fumble and six pass defenses. Pro Football Focus has him rated as the No. 20 cornerback out of 112 qualifying players.

Yes, been banging on about him for weeks on here. Links back to Manusky I believe. Perfect pick up to go with a rookie FS. I hope we get him in.

4 hours ago, bankonhank said:

I knew these boards were all doom and gloom based on the Game day threads and common posters on here but its funny just how different the mood is on this board. On reddit and other boards people seem up beat about free agency and realize their is still time to sign more defensive players in FA to go with the Redskins 11 draft picks that can help the defense. People on this board think the world is over before they even know who is on the team. 

giphy.gif

4 hours ago, bobandweave said:

Hell no. If we were gonna spend that much money on that position we should have offered it to Logan, a much better player.

Logan wanted a one year deal. So did Poe. I don't believe our FO do. Sucks for the cap space, not really a forward thinking move. Works for me with Pryor, doing it twice leaves you open next year if they both produce.

8mil is the going rate. Richardson is on 8mil at the Jets on his final year, Logan and Poe both pick up 8mil. There's the set limit. Hankins wants a longer deal, that should be great for us. He's mid 20's, we need to be aggressive and pay him. Totally worth the 'risk'.

Teams are going to run all over us again and again and again. At least we'll have some cap space to carry forward eh....Nah, BS, sign him up. Get Darius Butler in, release Hall, still have 10mil. I can't see any excuses on this one.

Update on Hankins:

One week into free agency, it's fair to say the market believes Hankins is asking for too much. The Miami Herald reported earlier Thursday that Hankins is adamant about signing a long-term deal. Typically, the money is all gone at this point in free agency, but many teams remain flush with cap space. Hankins, though only 25 this month, seems unlikely to get his desired $10 million per year, but could still come away with a nice chunk of change.

Per Rotoworld

I'm sure there'll be plenty said on her if he ends up resigning with the Giants. We've had Logan in so the need if clearly there.  Word was that Hankins was coming in. Maybe that changed as the demands became clear. Think I'd be bringing him in anyway for a talk.

Off topic but so weird to me when the Redskins Twitter account breaks a signing. There's just some intern hanging around the decision makers getting the green light to post.

Actually nowadays whoever is running the Twitter account is probably a salaried marketing/PR person.

6 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Manusky just now on radio.  He sees McGee and McClain as the starters at DE neither is slotted for nose.   Suggested they might be done in FA by saying he's satisfied with what they've done in FA and is looking at the draft now.  But he wasn't hardcore on the point so I got some hope that they still might be looking.  For nose they might rely on AJ Francis or Phil Taylor though he admitted he knew very little about Phil Taylor.  He suggested they might address nose in the draft though.  

Seemed to take a small shot at Breeland said he just needs to listen and play, then said it again listen and play.

After listening to Manusky's interview with Cool & Kev, I must say I think we may be pleasantly surprised with him as DC...I've always liked his attitude..talk about "Football Players"...he's always been one...plus he's definitely got smarts...graduating from Colgate ain't small potatoes...HTTR!!!

giphy.gif

Special teams guy it seems

http://www.stampedeblue.com/2017/2/13/14601866/colts-free-agency-2017-should-the-colts-re-sign-chris-carter

Carter, an outside linebacker, was originally drafted by the Pittsburgh Steelers in the fifth round of the 2011 NFL Draft, and he spent three seasons with the Steelers (playing in 29 games and starting four). He was cut during preseason in 2014, and the Colts signed him a few days later. He played in one game for Indy in 2014 before he was cut, only to be scooped up by the Bengals two months later. He stuck around in Cincinnati for a while, playing in three games in 2014 and 13 games in 2015 before he was cut. The Ravens signed Carter near the end of the season (he played in the final two games), then re-signed him that offseason. He played in five games with the Ravens in 2016 before he was cut in October - to be signed by the Colts one day later. He finished the season in Indianapolis, playing in nine games and recording six tackles. He contributed almost exclusively on special teams, recording two tackles and three assists.

50 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

I don't necessarily think Cleveland is tanking the season at all. They grabbed a QB that could still be very capable, have made some shrewd FA signings and are about the draft no less than 3 impact players in the draft. Right now it's hard to argue that they have one of the 3 best OL in the NFL and with the development of Crowell and Campbell the offense may be underrated. 

26 minutes ago, NickyJ said:

The Browns taking Osweiler is not a sign that they're tanking the 2017 season before free agency has even ended. Teams can still plan for the future without declaring the season over before it begins. They had the opportunity to make an investment without it seriously damaging their team this year.

40 minutes ago, carex said:

trading for other teams draft picks is a either a comment on how you expect them to do, or figuring that the more chances you have to roll the dice the more likely you are to win, it is not a comment on how you expect to do

Look think what you like about the Browns not tanking, I know some on this forum will swear tanking never occurs (it does and it has and it will continue to happen) and will come up with any excuse in the world to defend the subject regardless. You guys sound this that voice to me

You guys act like Osweiler is good, he's not get real worst starting QB by a mile in the NFL

You talk like the Browns got a real plan for Osweiler, they don't. The day they got him they began trying to trade him away. They can't because no one wants him not even Denver who drafted him

If you think the Browns are committed at all to Osweiler think again. They did that swap for the draft pick and never seriously wanted the player.

They spent 14 million bucks they could have used to better the team this year if they were committed to this year but rather they did this to better themselves for future years. They know they aren't winning anything this year and it's refreshing to see teams with realistic outlooks on a season and understand that when your far from success you can do what the Jaguars do every year and sign bad contracts pulling you further from success or tank a season so you can get future success for years. Should the Browns be tanking? Absolutely. Are they, you decide. Hard to believe a team believes in a guy and then is looking to trade him away and publically saying they will pay his money to get rid of him in the same day to me. Unless your tanking

2 hours ago, SemperFi Skins said:

http://nfltraderumors.co/redskins-hosting-db-darius-butler-visit/

Jason La Canfora of CBS Sports is reporting that the Redskins are hosting free agent DB Darius Butler for visit on Thursday. However, the Colts are interested in re-signing him.

Butler has already met with the Bears, but left Chicago without a contract agreement in place.

Butler, 30, is a former second-round pick of the Patriots back in 2009. He spent the first two years of his career in New England before he was waived and later claimed by the Panthers at the start of the 2011 season.

The Colts signed Butler as a free agent in September of 2012 and he has spent the past five years in Indianapolis.

In 2016, Butler appeared in 12 games and recorded 33 tackles, three interceptions, a forced fumble and six pass defenses. Pro Football Focus has him rated as the No. 20 cornerback out of 112 qualifying players.

he's Manuskey's guy too...

Archived