Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The 2017 FA Thread - OP Updated with Signings (Sundberg, Galette, VD, Hood re-signed) *** Terrell McClain, Stacy McGee, DJ Swearinger, Terrelle Pryor, Chris Carter, Brian Quick, ZACH BROWN(!!)***

DC9

1 hour ago, bobandweave said:

Yup ypu said it, the trade was about the pick not the player. And the minute they got that player they tried to move him. It's tanking. If your not trying to win today then your tanking.

I don't get it. It's like the Browns gave up anything in the process. They weren't going to spend all of their cap space so really how did this affect Cleveland negatively? If the team were trading guy's like Joe Thomas, Haden etc for picks then sure it's easy to say they're tanking but this move did absolutely nothing to take away from their team. They have made far more additions than subtractions. If they were tanking then why sign a 30 year old guard? Why make a huge offer to Pryor? 

See thats what ive noticed here. So many posters think that if a team wants a player then they should get that player. As I have stated before there are 31 other teams all trying to make their teams better. Cleveland isn't a desirable location for FA at the moment so the best thing they can do is accumulate as much talent as they can. That doesn't mean they're tanking... it means they're building.

9 minutes ago, DM72 said:

Did the draft already happen? 

No NT available for us @17. And honestly, if need to starting ILB out of the draft, AND a real pass rusher to shore up the D. I'm not sure we can get that in this draft, and there is no NT that will last past the top 5 that is going to help. Going by that thinking, the draft isn't going to help enough to do squat.

6 minutes ago, DM72 said:

Did the draft already happen? 

I think it's still gonna be terrible, maybe slightly less terrible.

Can't really assume they'll hit on whoever they pick on defense.  So until further info arises that breeds optimism, gotta go on what you have available.

2 minutes ago, Morneblade said:

No NT available for us @17. And honestly, if need to starting ILB out of the draft, AND a real pass rusher to shore up the D. I'm not sure we can get that in this draft, and there is no NT that will last past the top 5 that is going to help. Going by that thinking, the draft isn't going to help enough to do squat.

so you're not a glass half full guy? never would've guessed that.

Just now, Morneblade said:

Depends on if the glass is half full.

Right now, it's more like 7/8ths empty. Or 1/8th full, if you would prefer.

I prefer full glasses...of beer...but it looks like I ain't gonna get any of that sitting around here.

But I thought the glass was half full...half offense - half defense :)

29 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Yeah wondering what's cooking if they sign him with all the safeties:  D. Hall, Swearinger, Cravens and then Butler?

My guess is Hall takes a 50% salary cut to stick around through camp. Whether he makes the roster is a guess at this stage. Butler could do either CB or FS which I like, Breeland needs a serious kick up the arse. I really like Quincy Wilson in the draft or Tre White to come in at DB.

At this stage I can only imagine we will draft a DT and 2 ILB. Otherwise we are one player light in FA. Personally I'd overpay slightly for Hankins and be done with it. The fact Logan was in proves we are looking. 

Yeah I am wondering about Koolblue's thought about Malik Mccdowell being the target at #17.  Makes sense that its the plan.  Boom and bust type of prospect but he's the one more obvious DT who will both likely still be available at #17 and has the talent to make an impact.  But I'm nervous about a guy with a reputation of running hot and cold motor wise with some character concerns.  But if they don't land a marquee guy in FA at DT -- coupled with us hearing all off season its all about DT, then I gather they plan to use some with their high picks in the draft at that position.  Some reporters like JP Finley have flat out said even before FA that's his sense about what they were going to do.  Or maybe Caleb Brantley. 

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/college/michigan-state/spartans/2017/03/15/michigan-state-football-malik-mcdowell-todd-mcshay/99227286/

Todd McShay still believes in Malik McDowell.

Despite reports out of the NFL combine that some teams soured on the Michigan State defensive lineman during his interviews, ESPN draft analyst McShay thinks McDowell will go somewhere between the 10th and 25th overall pick in April’s draft.

“He’s tall, long. I think he might be the most talented interior defensive lineman,” McShay said on a teleconference Wednesday. “Some questions about the work ethic and consistency, but from a skill standpoint, he can become a highly disruptive player.”

3 seperate parts, so 3 seperate glasses for me.

With Kirk signed for the year, I'd give the Offense about 7/8ths full. Question marks at LG, and WR (because Doctson)

Defensively, more like 3/4 empty. Bad DL got worse, ILB are the same (terrible) OLB are average. Secondary might be improved.

No real changes in ST, but they look pretty solid.

6 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Yeah I am wondering about Koolblue's thought about Malik Mccdowell being the target at #17.  Makes sense that its the plan.  Boom and bust type of prospect but he's the one more obvious DT who will both likely still be available at #17 and has the talent to make an impact.  But I'm nervous about a guy with a reputation of running hot and cold motor wise with some character concerns.  But if they don't land a marquee guy in FA at DT -- coupled with us hearing all off season its all about DT, then I gather they plan to use some with their high picks in the draft at that position.  Some reporters like JP Finley have flat out said even before FA that's his sense about what they were going to do.  Or maybe Caleb Brantley. 

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/college/michigan-state/spartans/2017/03/15/michigan-state-football-malik-mcdowell-todd-mcshay/99227286/

Todd McShay still believes in Malik McDowell.

Despite reports out of the NFL combine that some teams soured on the Michigan State defensive lineman during his interviews, ESPN draft analyst McShay thinks McDowell will go somewhere between the 10th and 25th overall pick in April’s draft.

“He’s tall, long. I think he might be the most talented interior defensive lineman,” McShay said on a teleconference Wednesday. “Some questions about the work ethic and consistency, but from a skill standpoint, he can become a highly disruptive player.”

Like him as a 3,4 or 5 tech. not really at 0,1, or 2.

23 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

At this stage I can only imagine we will draft a DT and 2 ILB. Otherwise we are one player light in FA. Personally I'd overpay slightly for Hankins and be done with it. The fact Logan was in proves we are looking. 

Yeah what got me going on this was a debate I had the other day where Scot was being accused of being responsible for the arguably small get thus far on the D line and that Bruce is working strictly off of Scot's list.  Personally, I didn't care one way or another, just focused on what I see versus why I see it.  But since I indulged myself to be egged into a Scot debate -- it made me run with that logic and think about it.  Yeah what if they are indeed running with Scot's list?  We know from Breer, that Swearinger was a big target of Scot.  Otherwise we don't know much.  But if Scot's list is the Holy Grail of FA for Bruce this off season -- then Calais Campbell and Bennie Logan were on that list.  In other words, if so Scot told them go get a top tier D lineman.   

8 minutes ago, SkinsPassion4Life said:

I would not draft a DL in the first two rounds....the value is in the 3rd and 4th round.

I want Hankins, but not at 10 mil.....I'd give him 5 yrs, 40 mil; with 20 guaranteed

Probleme is he wants more then 10 ?. How the hell did he think he could get that? 

He thinks he is top 5 at his position. I doubt that highly.

15 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

agree both would be 5 techniques. But we need both 5 and 0 techniques IMO.  The 0 technique, I'd guess among:  Qualls, Tomlinson, Vanderdoes and others. 

I think I'd be ok with Qualls, especially as a developmental player.

13 minutes ago, SkinsPassion4Life said:

I would not draft a DL in the first two rounds....the value is in the 3rd and 4th round.

I want Hankins, but not at 10 mil.....I'd give him 5 yrs, 40 mil; with 20 guaranteed

Not sure why we have to worry about Hankins and 10 million, he clearly hasn't gotten it and doubt he will.  One of the Cleveland reporters said people close to Pryor thought he'd get $13-15 million a year -- but ultimately he got nothing close to it.  Can Bruce get into a bidding war for a top tier guy and win and be willing to pay the price?  They were good with Norman in that they avoid a bidding war.  The D. Jax signing was just between Washington and SF.  He did a nice job with Pryor but it seemed like it was just between the Redskins and Cleveland.  Looks like there might be more action on Hankins but who knows.

6 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Not sure why we have to worry about Hankins and 10 million, he clearly hasn't gotten it and doubt he will.  One of the Cleveland reporters said people close to Pryor thought he'd get $13-15 million a year -- but ultimately he got nothing close to it.  Can Bruce get into a bidding war for a top tier guy and win and be willing to pay the price?  They were good with Norman in that they avoid a bidding war.  The D. Jax signing was just between Washington and SF.  He did a nice job with Pryor but it seemed like it was just between the Redskins and Cleveland.  Looks like there might be more action on Hankins but who knows.

I think that Pryor just bet on himself, took $8 million this year, and figures he'll get $15+ long-term next year.  I'm excited for 2017 but don't expect to see him on our team beyond that.

Definitely think we should make a run for Hankins if his price can be negotiated down.  I give him the credit for forcing Kirk's interception to kill our season last year more than Cromartie.  Hankins has an incredible motor!  Watch him start outside Scherff and battle a double team to make Kirk pull the ball down and then obstruct Kirk's vision on the errant pass.  There's a great bonus to consider as well.  We'd be sticking it to that scab covered worm (Mara) - which is always a good thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKHeZz20kN8

39 minutes ago, Morneblade said:

3 seperate parts, so 3 seperate glasses for me.

With Kirk signed for the year, I'd give the Offense about 7/8ths full. Question marks at LG, and WR (because Doctson)

Defensively, more like 3/4 empty. Bad DL got worse, ILB are the same (terrible) OLB are average. Secondary might be improved.

No real changes in ST, but they look pretty solid.

I don't know why people on this board don't give our OLBs some credit. Kerrigan is a stud that have made an appearance in the Pro Bowl in the past. Preston Smith is an up and coming star that have reek-havoc at certain times. Now if we can keep Galette healthy, he can be a force. 

2 minutes ago, SkinsPassion4Life said:

With this draft being deep at CB, maybe they trade Breeland for a DL.....I had mentioned trading him for Sheldon Richardson.

May have to fork out a #4 or #6 pick. Breeland play has gone down.

3 minutes ago, SkinsPassion4Life said:

With this draft being deep at CB, maybe they trade Breeland for a DL.....I had mentioned trading him for Sheldon Richardson.

Why would anybody trade for a Breeland when draft is deep at the position?

I think Breeland is almost like one of does players with a one year prove it deal. Either in his Final year he steps up becomes consistent good and gets paid in open market. Or he plays inconsistent and he will get a low end offer to fight for a roster spot. All the tools are there but he is just so inconsistent. 

4 minutes ago, jschuck12001 said:

So Hankins knows he can thrive at NY with the D line talent around him, anyone else think he is content staying there on a 1 yr deal and then going for paydirt next year.

Hankins is just seeing if anyone is willing to bite at 10 mil, otherwise he'll give the Giants a "hometown discount" and sign. imo

2 minutes ago, wilco_holland said:

Why would anybody trade for a Breeland when draft is deep at the position?

I think Breeland is almost like one of does players with a one year prove it deal. Either in his Final year he steps up becomes consistent good and gets paid in open market. Or he plays inconsistent and he will get a low end offer to fight for a roster spot. All the tools are there but he is just so inconsistent. 

Maybe to get rid of a cap headache. Just speculating.

Archived