Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Trump and his cabinet/buffoonery- Get your bunkers ready!

brandymac27

3 hours ago, redskins59 said:

Looking at VA's demographics.  In 2010, it was:

68.6% White 

19.4% Black

5.5% Asian

0.4% Native

3.2% Other race

They don't separate Hispanics separately, but the number is 6.1%.  Most of them probably go into the White category.  Let's face it though, Hispanics are minorities, even if, for census purposes they are lumped as White.   It is 2017, so what would the change be?  The non-hispanic White category might be less than 60% by now.  I would guess Asians at 7% and Hispanics at maybe 8.  Based on those numbers, energizing minorities is very important.  Northam should theoretically win the election given the fact that the Republican party has gone full mode racist due to Donald Trump.   80% Whites voting in the election might be a historical trend, but we are different demographically these days.  

Look at the demographic of the electorate, not the state.  80% White was the make up of the 2016 electorate.  It's going to be like 85% in an off year like the next two elections.  We're a generation away from ethnic minorities having the numbers to swing elections in Virginia.  At least.

There aren't enough left-leaning Whites in this state to win an election with in low turnout years either.  Democrats are always going to struggle to win when there isn't a Barrack Obama up the ballot driving massive turnout of tons of left-leaning constituencies who usually sit elections out.  The normal Virginia electorate is a 50/50 split and the conservative constituencies are far more widespread and reliable.  Virginia is a fairly culturally conservative state.  And right now, the incredible negativity of our political climate is an advantage for Republicans because it depresses turnout.

The fact of the matter is that Democrats just can't win in off years without getting enough uneducated Whites to vote for them.  The other Democratic constituencies aren't big enough to carry them.

2 hours ago, redskins59 said:

Looking at VA's demographics.  In 2010, it was:

68.6% White 

19.4% Black

5.5% Asian

0.4% Native

3.2% Other race

They don't separate Hispanics separately, but the number is 6.1%.  Most of them probably go into the White category.  Let's face it though, Hispanics are minorities, even if, for census purposes they are lumped as White.   It is 2017, so what would the change be?  The non-hispanic White category might be less than 60% by now.  I would guess Asians at 7% and Hispanics at maybe 8.  Based on those numbers, energizing minorities is very important.  Northam should theoretically win the election given the fact that the Republican party has gone full mode racist due to Donald Trump.   80% Whites voting in the election might be a historical trend, but we are different demographically these days.  

I love people that think Hispanics are a solid voting block.:)

4 hours ago, Corcaigh said:

... there are serious questions about what the Dems need to fix their game.

It's a symptom of our national disease.  Northam is a doctor and veteran and the current Lieutenant Governor.  He couldn't be more qualified and have a better record of service.  Meanwhile Gillespie is a ****ing slimeball lobbyist.  But this is a country that elected Donald Trump over Hillary Clinton, quality doesn't matter.  I know a lot of Republicans and I know they're going to vote R, same as always.  Once you've pulled the lever for Trump, voting for a piece of crap like Gillespie actually becomes easy.  They can and do perform any level of stupid, lazy ass thinking to justify their continued support for Republicans.

My hope is that Trump is such a dumpster fire in the next few days that the absolutely infuriating people who don't normally vote in these elections actually take the time out of their precious ****ing day to save the ****ing country for the sake of their goddamn children.

Totally anecdotal but early voting line here in Arlington is pretty full.  Had some friends posting pictures earlier with line being full too, so seems like consistent good numbers.

Of course, this is one of the few early voting centers in Arlington so them being packed probably doesn't mean a ton, and also we don't know what % of people voting today wouldn't have or would have voted on tuesday.

Still, in general, more turnout is better for Ds than less.

On 11/3/2017 at 9:29 AM, LadySkinsFan said:

Remember, Sanders wasn't a Democrat who tried to hijack the Democratic Party. He failed.  Then he tried to hijack the platform and succeeded a bit. 

He's still not a Democrat.

And I am disappointed in Elizabeth Warren for jumping on the bandwagon to bash Clinton again. What's she doing to raise money to retire the debt and build it for 2018? Who is stepping up to lead the party now? I don't see anyone.

Did he really fail?  Is Hillary president?  Who has the real hearts of the Democratic base?  Who is going to decide the direction of the Dems in 2018/2020?

Just as the GOP has become Trumpified the Dems are becoming Berniefied.  If the Dems don't tow the Bernie line, they will not receive support of the Bernie wing. The Bernie wing is where the soul, heart and energy of the Democratic party is; not with some corrupt Hag from the 90's.

47 minutes ago, Corcaigh said:

Strangley I'm agreeing with both sides in this spat.

"Blowhard, unfit" vs "Iraq invasion = Worst foreign policy decision in American history"

Oh I don't disagree about it being a historic foreign policy blunder on a massive scale. But Trump is a complete hypocrite (who new???) because he didn't give two ****s about that war until it became politically expedient for him to and was for it in the lead up to the war.

22 hours ago, twa said:

I love people that think Hispanics are a solid voting block.:)

But they are all MS-13 members if you believe Ed Gillespie. :-)

And a second house call today, and a text message. The Dems are working to get out this voter. We've ditched our home phone so don't know if the GOP is trying to telemarket like they used to do.

7 hours ago, No Excuses said:

In VA they absolutely are. VA Hispanic community is a lot different than FL and TX.

yeah, next to non existent. :)

More in my county that the whole state there.

Gotta love how many here bemoan that the Trumpers have taken the Republican party and wish the more traditional Republicans can regain traction.  But when a traditional Republican gets nominated he is suddenly "a piece of ****," " a slimeball," he's racist scum" etc etc etc.

Archived