Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Trump and his cabinet/buffoonery- Get your bunkers ready!

brandymac27

1 hour ago, AsburySkinsFan said:

Once again we get to hear from the “I made it so if you don’t then it’s your fault” crowd. You know just pull yourself up by your bootstraps line that keeps poor people voting for rich people because the poor people in this country are comvinced they are simply temporarily embarassed millionaires.

Except it's actually, "my parents made it so if you don’t then it’s your fault."  So, this is  someone who has had the benefit of being born to people that can afford a $1.5 million house telling other people to pull themselves up by the bootstraps.  

:rolleyes:

11 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Except it's actually, "my parents made it so if you don’t then it’s your fault."  So, this is  someone who has had the benefit of being born to people that can afford a $1.5 million house telling other people to pull themselves up by the bootstraps.  

Kinda explains why their knight in shining armor is Trump. Bunch o Trust fund cry babies. 

12 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Just to add then, there is a large part of this there is a generational component.  Income mobility is DECLINING in the US, which means for older generations, it was easier to pull yourself up by the boot straps.  The fact that your parents did it, isn't all that relevant to people trying to do it today.  Things have changed.

33 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

They weren’t rich when I was a kid, or when I went to college. Unfortunately. 

Its strange times when telling someone to pull themselves up by their bootstraps is derogatory. But if that’s how you feel it’s how you feel.

16 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

They weren’t rich when I was a kid, or when I went to college. Unfortunately. 

Its strange times when telling someone to pull themselves up by their bootstraps is derogatory. But if that’s how you feel it’s how you feel.

What's derogatory is claiming that everyone in this country has an equal opportunity to do so, particularly coming from someone who, by all accounts, was dealt a pretty solid hand.  

23 minutes ago, PeterMP said:

Just to add then, there is a large part of this there is a generational component.  Income mobility is DECLINING in the US, which means for older generations, it was easier to pull yourself up by the boot straps.  The fact that your parents did it, isn't all that relevant to people trying to do it today.  Things have changed.

Maybe so, but my kids make more than I do and bought much pricier homes....on their own.

of course they have more debt than me 

55 minutes ago, PeterMP said:

If your employee thinks by working more they are hurting themselves, they are wrong (especially in the long term when they reach full retirement age).

Just trading anecdotes, but you know how many people I know of who think that paying off their mortgage will hurt them, because they'd lost the interest deduction?  

My point is that theres lots of people who absolutely believe something financial, that isn't true. 

39 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

@PeterMPIt was social security for disability, he has muscular dystrophy.... not sure if it is called something else. 

Okay, but the same general rules apply.  He's almost certainly not losing dollar-for-dollar what he's gained. As you earn more, your disability payment decreases until you don't get any and are no long considered disabled, but it isn't a dollar for dollar exchange.

And as he's working he's raising the average of his 35 highest earned years, which is likely increasing his social security when he can retire so he'll make more later (though in this case given MD that might not be concern, depending on his age).

15 minutes ago, Larry said:

Just trading anecdotes, but you know how many people I know of who think that paying off their mortgage will hurt them, because they'd lost the interest deduction?  

My point is that theres lots of people who absolutely believe something financial, that isn't true. 

Oh, that's absolutely true.  I'd bet there are a lot more cases where people think that working more will hurt them because of changes in their government benefits so they don't work more then cases where that's actually true.

Her employee might one of those rare exceptions I talked about because depending on the type of MD he has, there might be a good chance they have have a very low probability of making it much into full retirement age and then there is really no incentive to boost your top 35 earned years income, but all in all those case are pretty rare (though, even in that case, I'll bet he's got more money in his pocket for working then not.  SDI is also a little odd that if you work too much for too long, then you get kicked off completely, and then if something happens and you want/need to get back on, you have to re-apply so that could be seen as non-income related incentive to not work too much.)

19 minutes ago, twa said:

Maybe so, but my kids make more than I do and bought much pricier homes....on their own.

of course they have more debt than me 

And your kids and the homes they bought are relevant to a general discussion of income mobility stats because.....

1 minute ago, clietas said:

Im sure you never once co signed a single thing for them either. #sinkorswim

Nope....except a cell phone when they were 16 or so

I did provide a old car they had to insure and such themselves till after high school(which is waiting for the grandkid if he wants :ols:)

7 minutes ago, PeterMP said:

And your kids and the homes they bought are relevant to a general discussion of income mobility stats because.....

Because stats lie :pint:

15 minutes ago, Larry said:

Now, I have heard people claim that getting a job will hurt them. But it's not "if I earn $100, they'll cut my welfare $150". It's "if I take a $100 job, I'll have to pay $300 in child care". 

Those claims, I believe. 

They ain't lying. I am fortunate enough that my mom makes enough money that she was willing to pay half the cost of my youngest to start preschool a lot younger than my older one did to free up my mom's day to do other things.

If I was paying the entire cost, the majority of one of our paychecks would be going straight to the preschool. 

1 hour ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Care to hear about my less than stellar youth, my 8th grade education, and how I'm more success full than most people I know?

Of course, I'm not making the same claims as others.  Though I believe the original claim wasn't everyone had the same level of opportunity but just that they had AN opportunity.   

I think, like most things, the truth is somewhere in the middle.  Yes, there are those that want their handout with no desire to try to change their circumstances.  Hell, I know a few.  There are those that would have been far more successful than they are if only they were born in a different zip code.  And there are those that are only "successful" because of what they had handed to them.  Sadly, those people sometimes just get to skate through life or become president.  Is this all fair?  No.  But life isn't.  That doesn't mean we shouldn't help any one.  But sometimes it is worth addressing abuses within the system.

31 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

They ain't lying. I am fortunate enough that my mom makes enough money that she was willing to pay half the cost of my youngest to start preschool a lot younger than my older one did to free up my mom's day to do other things.

If I was paying the entire cost, the majority of one of our paychecks would be going straight to the preschool. 

You gotta redshirt'em man.   https://www.cultofpedagogy.com/academic-redshirting/

25 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

Care to hear about my less than stellar youth, my 8th grade education, and how I'm more success full than most people I know?

Wait....ain't you old and live in a trailer???

:ols:

:movefast:

19 minutes ago, twa said:

Wait....ain't you old and live in a trailer???

:ols:

:movefast:

Define old.  And yes I live in a trailer, a very nice one.  I can afford that, my very nice truck, my wife's very nice car, and a home in florida.  I would say being able to afford that plus a number of expensive hobbies plus just blowing money on dumb crap while still putting away a pretty penny makes me pretty successful.  What was your point?

3 hours ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

It’s not the best evidence, buts what I got. 

I see the same things you do. 

Every person I know is in a situation that, if you followed their decisions through life, is one they’ve made for themselves. 

Archived