Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Trump and his cabinet/buffoonery- Get your bunkers ready!

brandymac27

42 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

What would be considered a blue wave in the House anyways? Simply retaking it (+25 seats)? Closer to a +40 gain? More?

Dems gained 7 seats in the 2016 election by the way.

I think "blue wave" is just a nonsense phrase made up to refer to a big win, with no standard definition.  The important thing is getting the House majority.  Beyond that, but much less importantly, the more seats they win are good because 1) it gives Dems a margin for error, 2) it lets certain Dems not make votes that are unpopular in their district, 3) it will provide more incumbency advantage in future elections and 4) it might cause some of the more spineless Republicans that win (House and Senate) to start carefully moving away from Trump.  

The above is just for the House.  My hope, obviously, is that a large effect is felt from school boards on up.  

So I have to ask, is "Soros paid protesters" an actual thing or is it just something that right-wing media & their followers always just use as a go-to to discredit any kind of dissent against this administration?  I find it funny that you can list a ton of extremely wealthy GOP donors, but Soros is always the go-to one conservative pundits will throw out there as if Soros just levels the entire playing field of financing.  And I am not saying Soros isn't a financial backer for Dem/liberal causes, just that it seems like it is the laziest of lazy replies when the topic of money in politics is brought up.

For all the time I have put into commenting on political threads in the tailgate forums, I really need to hit up Soros for some cash. I think I've earned it.

8 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

So I have to ask, is "Soros paid protesters" an actual thing or is it just something that right-wing media & their followers always just use as a go-to to discredit any kind of dissent against this administration?

I have seen people in Tailgate posting links to places like craigslist or some such, where there's supposedly an ad looking to hire paid protesters for one event or another.  

I have never seen an expose in which some reporter did it, got hired, did the protest, and got paid.  And it seems to me that if there really was somebody doing this, then some reporter would have signed up for it, to get the story.  

Makes me conclude that the want ads are fakes, posted either for giggles, or for the purpose of creating a false narrative.  

15 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

So I have to ask, is "Soros paid protesters" an actual thing or is it just something that right-wing media & their followers always just use as a go-to to discredit any kind of dissent against this administration?  I find it funny that you can list a ton of extremely wealthy GOP donors, but Soros is always the go-to one conservative pundits will throw out there as if Soros just levels the entire playing field of financing.  And I am not saying Soros isn't a financial backer for Dem/liberal causes, just that it seems like it is the laziest of lazy replies when the topic of money in politics is brought up.

For all the time I have put into commenting on political threads in the tailgate forums, I really need to hit up Soros for some cash. I think I've earned it.

As a former republican, Soros has long segments as the boogeyman in both Hannity and O'Reilly books I read. There was never any proof of any of these alleged things beyond him donating money or funding some thinktank or whatever. But they got it their base to believe he is the devil behind the scenes puppet master of the Illuminati and now 20 years later, they are still running with it. 

6 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

As a former republican, Soros has long segments as the boogeyman in both Hannity and O'Reilly books I read. There was never any proof of any of these alleged things beyond him donating money or funding some thinktank or whatever. But they got it their base to believe he is the devil behind the scenes puppet master of the Illuminati and now 20 years later, they are still running with it. 

I also assume that there's a good dose of projection involved, too.  

That the GOP actually is doing those things.  And either they're either assuming that everybody else is as dishonest as they are, or they're simply following 20 years of Republican Playbook, and loudly accusing your opponent of committing the crimes which you are actually committing yourself.  (See: Bush accusing Kerry of not being a war hero.  McCain accusing Obama of not being born in the US.)  

Just to follow up.  I don't doubt that Soros may have helped funded something in the past. Maybe even funded an event or two over the course of the past 20 years that he has been a liberal donor boogeyman. It is more the fact that he name is thrown around every single time there is any kind of protest going on as if he has handed out debit cards and everyone is just withdrawing their Soros protest funds on the daily.  It wouldn't even really be a concern of mine except people parrot it as if they have some kind of verified proof. (Which as of yet, I have never seen).

21 minutes ago, Larry said:

I also assume that there's a good dose of projection involved, too.  

That the GOP actually is doing those things.  And either they're either assuming that everybody else is as dishonest as they are, or they're simply following 20 years of Republican Playbook, and loudly accusing your opponent of committing the crimes which you are actually committing yourself.  (See: Bush accusing Kerry of not being a war hero.  McCain accusing Obama of not being born in the US.)  

Also revisiting this, you are 100% right with regards to GOP accusing people of things they did.

They complain about Soros yet the Koch Brothers funded the Tea Party movement by paying activists.

40 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

If I could get paid to protest (by Soros or anyone else on the left), I would.  I'm pretty sure it's not a real thing.  

Getting paid to protest would be a great addition to my retirement budget. I have a lot of time to devote to protesting!

Speaking of projection, just listen to everything Trump says about the Democrats.  About wanting power and wanting to hold onto power at any cost.  It is truly quite remarkable that the party in control of all branches of government is accusing the other side of being drunk in their quest for power.  

1 hour ago, NoCalMike said:

Just to follow up.  I don't doubt that Soros may have helped funded something in the past. Maybe even funded an event or two over the course of the past 20 years that he has been a liberal donor boogeyman. It is more the fact that he name is thrown around every single time there is any kind of protest going on as if he has handed out debit cards and everyone is just withdrawing their Soros protest funds on the daily.  It wouldn't even really be a concern of mine except people parrot it as if they have some kind of verified proof. (Which as of yet, I have never seen).

Soros founded the Open Society Foundation, and is a co-founder of the Clinton Foundation. Open Society Foundation supports "grassroots" movements for democratic governance.  We have all heard what the Clinton Foundation is about on repeat since it was founded...

That's it. That's where the notion that Soros is funding the left (to be fair, it appears only Democratic causes receive funding).

Archived