Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Trump and his cabinet/buffoonery- Get your bunkers ready!

brandymac27

16 minutes ago, haithman said:

Can't believe he stood in front of that wall and talked about magazine covers and how smart he is and his crowds. Truly despicable piece of ****

I'm really not that offended by this.  It's not a big deal, to me.  

And come on.  We're talking about the guy who, on the record, attacked John McCain for being a POW, and called two Gold Star parents un-American.    Kinda late to be surprised, now.  

38 minutes ago, Hersh said:

For the love of all things, can we please let go of this "well Bernie would have won garbage." What makes the entire conversation maddening is that if Bernie would have been the nominee, Clinton supporters would have ultimately supported him. Certainly that is the only way he would have won. Yet the one person that constantly brings up Bernie didn't return the favor and vote for Clinton. So enough with the Bernie BS. Please.

Bernie would've lost also but the turnout for him may have given the Dems the Senate.

4 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

I don't get how you can NOT be offended by this.

Maybe it's just because it doesn't change my opinion of him.  He's done it, before.  

Or maybe it's my focus on policy over personality.  

I'm a lot more offended by him appointing the attorney who defended the NC "bathroom law" before the SC, as head of the DOJ Civil Rights division, than I am about his choice of backdrop for an empty, self-congratulatory, speech.

13 minutes ago, s0crates said:

This all ignores that Bernie never got roasted like Clinton.  All the favorables are from a world in which Bernie's oppo file never came out, while Clinton's oppo file was an ongoing...thing, for the past 20 years.

Remember, I voted Bernie in the primaries.  I even made the argument that Bernie would be a stronger candidate in the megathread.

In fairness to me, I lacked info on the oppo file.

But also, I should have known better than to assume there wasn't some dirt out there.  I just didn't expect it to be so...significant.

Bernie would have been absolutely savaged.  Maybe he still pulls it off, but the notion that the favorables/polling would have just carried forward to November is seriously flawed.  We have to add in the oppo file, and I don't like his odds with it factored in.

8 minutes ago, Larry said:

Maybe it's just because it doesn't change my opinion of him.  He's done it, before.  

Or maybe it's my focus on policy over personality.  

I'm a lot more offended by him appointing the attorney who defended the NC "bathroom law" before the SC, as head of the DOJ Civil Rights division, than I am about his choice of backdrop for an empty, self-congratulatory, speech.

So you'd be on fended if someone else did it but you just aren't surprised in this case?

7 minutes ago, Burgold said:

The way I'm reading Larry is that what he's really saying is that he's not surprised. This is behavior he expects from Trump. 

I hope so.

5 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

So you'd be on fended if someone else did it but you just aren't surprised in this case?

No, it's more a matter of how I assess the effect of both, on the country.  

Which of the two Trump actions do you think will have a bigger impact on the quality of life, over the next four tears?  

Trump choosing a backdrop for a speech which apparently consists of "Look how important I think I am"?  

Or the resumption of the GOP War on Civil Rights?  

If you're anybody except Foxnews or Breitbart, how do you do your jobs? I mean you're called fake to your face. Blamed for being part of some conspiracy. But you can't just not cover the Administration. Do you just run fact checks full time on the bottom of the screen and use it for any politician from any party to at least be consistent?

1 hour ago, Hersh said:

For the love of all things, can we please let go of this "well Bernie would have won garbage." What makes the entire conversation maddening is that if Bernie would have been the nominee, Clinton supporters would have ultimately supported him. Certainly that is the only way he would have won. Yet the one person that constantly brings up Bernie didn't return the favor and vote for Clinton. So enough with the Bernie BS. Please.

Most of Bernie's voters did support Clinton, and Bernie certainly did his part campaigning for her, but it wasn't enough to convince all of his supporters, many of whom either didn't turn out or voted 3rd party.

I'm on record about how I voted, straight Dem ballot, but left the top of the ticket blank. I'm a young, left-leaning independent, and I'm fed up with establishment politics and the DNC. There are a lot more like me. The Dems could try to figure out how to bring us into that big tent of theirs, or they could double down on saying "Shut up, we don't need you."

I think telling me to "let go of this" instead of considering my perspective is emblematic. Many Dems would rather silence those who didn't vote the way they wanted rather than think about how they lost their vote. A well-worn criticism of the left is that they are too quick to assign blame and too slow to take responsibility, and this past year helped me understand that point view a lot better. 

Why is it so hard to say maybe we picked the wrong horse? We should have channeled the anti-establishment sentiment in the country instead of ceding it to the right? We should have spent more time in Wisconsin and Michigan and less time courting donors? We should have done a better job of outreach to millennials and independents? We need to pay more attention to labor unions, blue collar workers, and middle America?  Why instead is everything about why the Dems lost blaming everybody but themselves (racists, sexists, fake news, Bernie bros, Russia, Comey, etc.)?

2 hours ago, DogofWar1 said:

This all ignores that Bernie never got roasted like Clinton.  All the favorables are from a world in which Bernie's oppo file never came out, while Clinton's oppo file was an ongoing...thing, for the past 20 years.

Remember, I voted Bernie in the primaries.  I even made the argument that Bernie would be a stronger candidate in the megathread.

In fairness to me, I lacked info on the oppo file.

But also, I should have known better than to assume there wasn't some dirt out there.  I just didn't expect it to be so...significant.

Bernie would have been absolutely savaged.  Maybe he still pulls it off, but the notion that the favorables/polling would have just carried forward to November is seriously flawed.  We have to add in the oppo file, and I don't like his odds with it factored in.

Well like the video I posted said, we're dealing in counterfactuals, so of course it's impossible to be sure. Maybe you're right that the opposition file on Bernie would have sunk his approval ratings and the polling we do have is therefore totally unreliable. Maybe I'm right that Bernie would have ridden the anti-establishment wave to the White House. Neither of us knows for sure.

What we do know is that Hillary lost to Trump, that a Gavis poll done on November 6th had Bernie winning by 13 points, and that this poll was consistent with earlier polls. 

I've probably carried on with this off topic tangent for too long, so I'll leave you with an article that more or less summarizes my position on the electability question, and contains a solid counter to your "oppo research" argument (and some NSFW language):

https://extranewsfeed.com/bernie-would-have-won-why-we-need-to-say-it-d06932faa2ff#.2ufbsb2zv

Greg Poppovich for president.

I think the reason Trump and his cronies result to hysterical lying about things like the attendance at his inauguration is because he is reflexively defensive against any acknowledgement of the shabbiness of his brand.  His entire worth is based on the value of his brand.

3 minutes ago, LadySkinsFan said:

I think we should protest in our localities every month for what they want to do to Social Security, ACA, and Medicare/Medicaid, until they stop.

What if they ignore you?

5 minutes ago, LadySkinsFan said:

I think we should protest in our localities every month for what they want to do to Social Security, ACA, and Medicare/Medicaid, until they stop.

I agree, I'm also a fan of calling your representatives and voting in midterms.

Archived