Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What's up with these Breeland tweets?

GOSKINS_08

The game of football is tricky.  Having a couple good seasons means nothing in the big picture, however the same could be said for having a down year.  Look at David Amerson, by the time Breeland was drafted, we expected those two to be the future corners on the defense. We figured the position was locked up.  Then Amerson has a down season, while Breeland emerges in his first two seasons. Amerson is cut and goes to the Raiders and has been pretty solid there, while Breeland continued to be good here, then we sign Norman, and suddenly Breeland seems to be having a down year when in theory you'd think downgrading to covering the #2 WR on teams would make his life easier.

No rhyme or reason to it.

2 hours ago, Dirt said:

he has.  you forget how he shut down Dez last year in a crucial game and looked downright gangster doing it. 

Week 17? We already won the division before that game, so that was by definition not a crucial game. If you mean the first matchup against Dallas last season, I believe he did play pretty good in that game, but we still lost that crucial game. 

2 hours ago, Dirt said:

going back to rg3, I cannot ****ing understand why people take twitter so seriously.  "ohhhhh what does it MEAN, what did that tweet MEAN??".  It's TWITTER.  too bad we weren't all flies on the wall before the Internet.  nowadays we get to see what's on these guys minds on the Internet but it still means nothing.  

He's pissed off.  about something.  so what.  nothing good or productive has ever come out of people dissecting and trying to figure out the meaning of these tweets.  

sorry.  twitter bugs me. 

It's not twitter that bugs me, it's people, hahaaa

The NFL season is such a high stakes game due to only 16 games played that every game is so magnified I think it leads to people making final judgements on players way too early. 

There are the 10% of elite all pro players who show their cards on the table from the day they are drafted. They are so good that they excel regardless of the quality of players around them.  However, I'd say vast majority of players in the NFL are simply not on that level and a ton of factors go into their performance. 

Going by Preston Smith's stats last year, you'd think he would be the NFL's breakout star this year, however he has settled into obscurity.  Why? Who knows. Maybe the NFL adjusted to his strengths and he will spend this offseason to adjusting to their adjustments.  Trent Murphy? If some had their way he'd have been cut after his rookie season.  it took a couple seasons to figure out how to utilize his strengths and now he is productive.  Is he a superstar? No, but he is productive.

Other than Norman, the defense is lacking any true all pro talent.  You have a mix of guys who are good, fair, mediocre, and bad.  Until that front 7 gets a couple absolute studs who change the way an offense has to operate, it will have ripple effects or in this case a lack of ripple effects on the rest of the defense.  Do you think Norman's recent struggles are because he suddenly forgot how to cover WR's or because the opposing QB has all day to throw, and coverage is not meant to hold for 10+ seconds every single down?

Breeland was expected by many to take that next step in their game, similar to what Reed did last year. He's done anything but, and has been getting beat regularly. I don't know what his deal is, but he needs to man up and play the way he's capable of. This is the guy who shut Dez Bryant down his rookie year and shut down Julio Jones last year. I think the catches he gave up to Antonio Brown in the opener are still in his head. The truth is he wasn't really beat that bad by Brown, it was perfect throws and great catches by the best WR in the league. Hopefully the bye week gets his head back on straight.

3 hours ago, Dirt said:

he has.  you forget how he shut down Dez last year in a crucial game and looked downright gangster doing it.  argue all you want about what he's done otherwise, but please, damn, can we stop letting ****ing TWEETS change the way we feel about players?

If he has stunk this season should I really care about last year?  Maybe if he had put in multiple years of quality play.  He has not.  His grammar also stinks.  Retiring Twitter is the best option. 

It's like here after losses. In the end, who really cares what a player says after a tie.  ES is proof enough the internets can drive one bonkers, you have to learn to deal with it. Catch someone on a bad day, and #holyoverreactionbatman. You'd think with as small as a grain of salt is, there would be enough to go around.

It's a shame. I think the addition of Norman REALLY got in his head. He's been absolutely great for us in the past. The only explanation that's reasonable for his bad play this year is the mental one. He's felt the pressure for the first time, and he hasn't held up well. That's a lot of pressure, too, playing that position. Couple that with imbeciles who once praised him saying he sucks, is "garbage", etc., on social media, and it's no wonder he's having an even tougher time. We expect way too much from these guys. Look how pissed off we get when we see opposing fans mock us after a loss on a message board. These guys now get constant critique and constant verbal abuse from so-called "friends" AND foes. All they have to do is turn on their computer or pick up their phone, and it's all there for them to digest. Not everyone is cut out for handling that gracefully. Most people aren't, in fact. 

bree has shown moments of brilliance over the few years... so his screw-ups are perceived as even worse... it's just the way it works when you want to be elite at your position... with that said, he needs to DO HIS JOB... norman should elevate his play... if he becomes worse with the competition, it says a lot about his maturity level.

oh yeah... and social media does not and cannot help his play

1 hour ago, Why am I Mr. Pink? said:

Hes playing on 2 injured ankles. Bree is a solid No. 2 corner. He will impact this season in a positive way. 

To add, he's a solid number ONE corner.  A very, very pleasant surprise who really stepped in without missing a beat when Hall went down for his first achilles.  He's a straight baller and I don't know what the hell happened this year or why he's letting the media get to him.

Archived