Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Game Day Thread -Redskins at Lions

TK

5 minutes ago, tshile said:

Sorry reality doesn't suit well with you.

Go on with your woulda, coulda, shoulda's

Today's NFL.... You could argue this team could be 0-7, but... You don't think today was snatching defeat from the jaws of victory? You don't think the Skins left 28 points on the field vs. Dallas? That is the reality.

2 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

They held Stafford to 74 yards in the first half. Ā If the offense has done ANYTHING they wouldn't have been in a close game. Ā 

True, and I'm no fan of Jones; if he's cut tomorrow I'd feel better, but in the one crucial time we needed a defense to make a stand, they fold.

Barry is not worthy of being a coach, we all know it. The defense's success has been from individual performances, not his scheming.

6 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

Ā 

You could also say the opposite though. Ā To me today's game represented a chance to prove this isn't the same ol' Redskins. Ā Is there any reason at all to predict this team beats the Bengals on a neutral field? Ā I am not saying they can't but I certain don't feel comfortable thinking they will.

Games like these are the kind you have to win if you want to be in the hunt in December. Ā Dallas right now is running away with the division playing boring but solid fundamental football with a rookie QB (albeit behind a very stout O-line, best in the NFL). Ā Our team is three years into this offense and still seem to be Jeckyl/Hyde from game to game.Ā 

But we are the same old Redskins, at least in terms of, this team prior to last year was a debacle. It really wasn't going to change in one year. It sure as hell ain't gonna change when you lose basically half off your defense to injuries. Aside from Matt Jones, the offense played fine, if not a little too conservative, but it worked.Ā 

Honestly, all three faucets of the team played well enough to win but also did enough stupid things to lose. No one aspect lost the game nor would one aspect have won the game. While the Jones fumble at the 1 was BRUTAL, it's really no different in terms of game killing than one of the big first down pick ups by Stafford on that last drive and it was no different than Hopkins unfortunate miss.

2 minutes ago, Sticksboi05 said:

Defense gave up two TDs today after 26 straight drives without allowing one. Settle down.

Turnovers cost us the game, plain and simple. We should've been able to put up 40 on that joke of a defense.Ā 

Everything you said is true, but it's not the whole truth. Ā Offense gave us the lead with under a minute to play. Ā Defense gave up and 75 yard drive and a TD in 40 seconds with the game on the line. Ā That context matters. Ā 

1 minute ago, TheGreek1973 said:

Luckiest ****ing win I have seen in a long time against us. Ā How many times does our kicker miss from 45? Ā Stafford fumbles with 3 of our guys around it comes right to him. Ā Jones doesn't get hit at all and fumbles on the 1 yard line. Ā Seriously the Lions didn't deserve the W today, no way no how. Ā This reminded me of the game the Eagles won against NE last year, everything that could go wrong did.

That's why I'm not that mad. Ā Hell, the ball just bounced their way today. Ā AND couple that with all of our miscues, Kirk put us in a position to Win the ballgame. Ā He doesn't play defense, so that's not on him.

But when we absolutely HAD to have it, he came through! Ā The question is, would Barry have played it so conservative if Norman doesn't exit the game?

6 minutes ago, s0crates said:

Well 4-3 is okay, this is a heartbreaker though, giving up the lead at the end like that sucks.

I'm more worried about the injuries to Scherff, Trent and Norman that the loss in itself.

5 minutes ago, Yng Lady88 said:

thanks Hopkins, Matt Jones, and Joe Barry. lose this ugly ass game and Norman and Trent as well. what bull****

Bleh don't blame Hopkins on this one.

4 minutes ago, thesubmittedone said:

Tough, tough loss. Very proud of the way they fought back there at the end... but we couldn't get any decent pressure on Stafford all game. Their Oline is much better than I thought, and they completely stifled our front. That's not mentioning all of the craziness that went on, almost all of it going against us.Ā 

Practice hard and hopefully we bounce back against a Bengals team that can be beaten.Ā Ā 

Crazyness...

Oh yeah as in:

Golden tate catching a poor throw from Stafford that rebounds on Breeland's back.

Andre Roberts making a double catch in the last drive. Andre freaking Roberts. The guy that has more dropped balls than targets playing for us...

Hopkins hitting the TOP of the upright on a 45 yarder??? Dammit, last time, let him FG from our 40 yards, he'll make it!

Matt Jones fumbles that goes next to Moses without noticing... (or it would have been a TD)

Kirk Cousins that stumbles on Spencer Long's feet for a fumble...

Yeah that was totally crazy, and never went our way.

Tough to win when so many plays goes the other way.

3 minutes ago, skinzplay said:

Screened us to death all game long. What was the adjustment to that? And why go to that putrid zone at the end. For me, this loss is even worse than the one in Dallas when the Cowboys torched our Cover 0 blitz at the end of the game. We had this game won. There was 1:05 left, with the ball at the damn 25 yard line, and we let them march straight down the field as if we had no defenders at all out there. Can't blame this on missed tackles. No excuses. Joe Barry is not worth whatever the team is paying him; needs to go. And I can tell you this.........after a while, there will be many of our stud defenders who will not want to remain with the team if Barry stays. They know good coaching when they see it, and he ain't bringin' it.

Barry is legitimately recognized as the worst defensive coordinator of all time. Ā Literally, all time. Ā He should be nowhere near a football field. Ā He could be a weatherman as bad as his record is of getting things correct. Ā Fire him immediately and we are a better teamĀ 

5 minutes ago, SAli457180 said:

Too many stupid mistakes in this game. Ā They should've won this game after the Cousins TD, but Barry decides to go ultra prevent or IDK WTF that was.

I'll never understand why teams abandoned what worked for the most part all day. Prevent is such a horrible concept. The concept of allowing teams easy 10-15 yard gains to prevent them from scoring absolutely baffles me.

Just now, Destino said:

Everything you said is true, but it's not the whole truth. Ā Offense gave us the lead with under a minute to play. Ā Defense gave up and 75 yard drive and a TD in 40 seconds with the game on the line. Ā That context matters. Ā 

Ā 

Should we have only been up 4 with a minute left? No. We should've been up by at least 7 with the missed FG.

Just now, Destino said:

Seriously, people give these random, pointless stats (we went 12 quarters without allowing a team to beat us whose average home humidity is above 90%)Ā way too much weight. Ā We lost. Ā You want to know what stat matters? Ā The one where they have more points at the end of the game than we do. Ā Anything else is bull**** loser talk.

Just now, SlinginSammy HOF '63 said:

I'll never understand why teams abandoned what worked for the most part all day. Prevent is such a horrible concept. The concept of allowing teams easy 10-15 yard gains to prevent them from scoring absolutely baffles me.

It's a good concept when the opposition has no timeouts to stop the clock. Ā Baffling Barry however had no clue that the lions, in fact, had all three timeouts. Ā 

1 minute ago, clskinsfan said:

Really? The D allowed a whopping 20 points. Meanwhile the offense shot themselves in the foot all game long. Penalties and Matt Jones lost this game.

So did Grant. When Cousins was intercepted in the end zone and Grant should have been there but stopped running after Cousins told him he was getting the ball. Two possible TDs and 3 points taken off the board. The O did give us the hope back but the D decided to **** the bed after being so good.

I blame the offense for this game. The playbook was awful. Detroit defense has given up more TDs than any other team and we struggled in this department with a damn good receiving core?Ā We have the deepest threat DJax and we never take a shot downfield?

I doubt the coaching staff benches Matt Jones. They have to see something in practiceĀ that we don't and they trust Jones more than Fat Rob. It just makes no sense after the fumbles that Jones gets more carries and Kelley is reduced to 4 total carries. Something ain't right.

1 minute ago, SlinginSammy HOF '63 said:

Especially when that team is sitting on a bunch of timeouts. The defensive approach defies all logic, especially in that circumstance.

Archived