Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Golf

tshile

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi all.

I had to play in a golf tournament today at UMD for work.  The first time I ever golfed was at Compass Pointe 15 years ago.  I kept putting balls in the woods and ended up getting a debilitating case of Lyme disease.  But I digress.  

I bought some used clubs, a used bag and new shoes back then.  Good news - shoes still fit.  Bag dry rotted and replaced by another Play it Again Sports $30 bag.  Clubs still good I’d assume.

Ended up playing today with my boss and a couple customers.  Some shots - God awful.  Some not horrible.  It was a scramble....used one of my drives and sank a couple putts.  Chipping eludes me.

Here is where I need advice.  The good golfers in our group mentioned I had basically all the same 3 drivers - with no loft.  Any advice on what should be in my bag?  I have three more of these outings coming up in the next few months.  I’d like to hit a range and try to suck less and show up with the right clubs.  I have irons 3-9, PW, SW and Gap.  I have a putter that looks like it was stolen from a Putt Putt in OC.  Nobody else had one that looked mine.

What else do I need?  Better loft driver?  A wood?  Better putter?

Play it again a good option to purchase used decent stuff?

Not trying to compete on PGA - just trying to improve optics / chance for reasonable play.

Appreciate any advice.

Thanks,

GV

Edited by Grumpy Vet

All of my clubs were given to me...a regular customer had a golf shop down the street (his sister was on tour) and he cut them down to size & re-gripped them for me...I managed to not totally suck, even with woods that are really wood. 😄

My putter is a Titleist Dead Center tho...a very old but true gem. 💎

I've seen very good/gently used clubs at my local Goodwill, couldn't believe it. Play It Again is good also. Just make sure they're the right height for your swing. 

13 hours ago, Grumpy Vet said:

Here is where I need advice.  The good golfers in our group mentioned I had basically all the same 3 drivers - with no loft.  Any advice on what should be in my bag? 

I have irons 3-9, PW, SW and Gap.  I have a putter that looks like it was stolen from a Putt Putt in OC.  Nobody else had one that looked mine.

My assumption on the loft comments, is they were telling you that you have 3 drivers, with all the same lofts?  You only need one driver, and my suggestion without knowing anything is 10.5 degree loft.  Depending on your affordability range and desire for new (I feel used is fine), check out any local store in person or a site called rockbottomgolf.com.   i'm not familiar with play it again sports as they are no longer in my area.

In your bag i would recommend a Driver, 3 Wood, 3-9, PW, SW, GW.  You can also substitue your 3-5 irons with hybrids if you feel you hit them ok.

Putters - get what you feel is comfortable.  try different styles at a store and see what weights/style feels best.  

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Grumpy Vet said:

Hi all.

I had to play in a golf tournament today at UMD for work.  The first time I ever golfed was at Compass Pointe 15 years ago.  I kept putting balls in the woods and ended up getting a debilitating case of Lyme disease.  But I digress.  

I bought some used clubs, a used bag and new shoes back then.  Good news - shoes still fit.  Bag dry rotted and replaced by another Play it Again Sports $30 bag.  Clubs still good I’d assume.

Ended up playing today with my boss and a couple customers.  Some shots - God awful.  Some not horrible.  It was a scramble....used one of my drives and sank a couple putts.  Chipping eludes me.

Here is where I need advice.  The good golfers in our group mentioned I had basically all the same 3 drivers - with no loft.  Any advice on what should be in my bag?  I have three more of these outings coming up in the next few months.  I’d like to hit a range and try to suck less and show up with the right clubs.  I have irons 3-9, PW, SW and Gap.  I have a putter that looks like it was stolen from a Putt Putt in OC.  Nobody else had one that looked mine.

Not trying to compete on PGA - just trying to improve optics / chance for reasonable play.

Appreciate any advice.

Thanks,

GV

Depends on what you see yourself doing down the road. If you’re just going to play a couple times a year, stick with what you’ve got, and as ozman said, keep the driver you hit best, and find a cheap 3 wood and 5 wood. Make sure they are a proper length. 3 wood should be 1/2” shorter than driver, and 5 wood another 1/2” shorter. 

If you think that you may take up golf a bit more seriously, go to a local golf store, and speak to the guys there. They can make recommendations, and even fit you for clubs, if you want to go that route. Golf Galaxy always has a large selection of used clubs, but they will be nicer, and more expensive than Second Hand or Goodwill.

Ozman is on it about putters. Many companies make knock offs of popular models that can be purchased for a fraction of the price of the top models. Most golf stores, Dicks included, will have a putting area where to can try a putter, and see if it feels right, and you’re hitting it where you’re aiming.

• Like 1

Thank you both for the input.  I do appreciate it.  Attached are pics of my drivers.  I don’t want to get on the PGA - just not call attention to myself on the course.  

Thanks for for taking the time.  I’ll look into woods, a putter and thinning out my drivers.  Any more input - love to have it.

BFF3DDF1-627E-4776-B756-10447F050128.jpeg

Keep the 10 dump the rest 

unless you’re really good with one of them then keep that one and dump the others

you can make your bag whatever you want. I switch the clubs I carry depending on weather and how often I’ve been playing. 

Figure out which ones you hit well with and keep them in the bag. Experiment with the rest

when you want new clubs go hit a bunch and see which ones you like. Get fitted if you’re going to take it seriously. It’s worth the 100$ and many will wave the fee if you buy clubs from them 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Grumpy Vet said:

Check out 2ndswing.com for used equipment. Don’t buy clubs without having him them. Go to a store and find what you want, then price compare. 

Manufacturers change lofts and lie angles with their sets. Taylormade (really everyone in the Game Improvement club business) is notoriously stronger lofts while Nike was weaker. Don’t go comparing 1 7 iron to the next, look at the specs. My buddies 7i in his Nike set is the same specs as my 8i. Comparing our 7i’s would be dumb. 

You either want players clubs, game improvement, or something in between. Depends on how well you play. 

You can get as crazy with it as you want. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Denny McCarthy becomes third PGA Tour player to test positive for COVID-19

Denny McCarthy has become the third PGA Tour player to test positive for the COVID-19 virus and has withdrawn from the Travelers Championship. His playing partner, Bud Cauley of Jacksonville, has withdrawn out of caution.

Denny McCarthy became the third PGA Tour player to test positive for the COVID-19 virus and withdrew on Friday from the Travelers Championship at the TPC River Highlands in Cromwell, Conn.

Click on the link for the full article