Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Golf

tshile

We've been batting around the idea of a general golf thread in other threads. Time to start one ;)

Tour talk, equipment, companies, weekend warriors, etc.

Some things we've missed...

USA won the Ryder Cup :)

McIlroy won the Fedex Cup

Oh, and Tiger is back next weekend in the Safeway Open ;)

----------------

I'm off to go play Bristow Manor. Wish me luck, I need it, that course is rough this time of year :(

58 minutes ago, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

Someone needs to seriously educate American golf fans after the Ryder Cup on how to behave. There's passion. And there's being a bunch of drunken louts 

Disgraceful behaviour for the sport. 

Hail. 

I call it "The Tiger Effect".  Absolutely NO ONE yelled "Get in the hole!" on every drive from every golfer until him.   (But in all fairness, the golfers themselves were a little more "spirited" than usual this year at the Ryder Cup.)

If you haven't seen Robin Williams' bit about golf (and it's invention) in his Live in Hollywood video, watch it...extremely funny, and true. 

Thanks for taking the step tshile. I've been thinking about starting this thread for quite a while.

Good luck at Bristow, played there a couple times years ago. Some great courses in that area, MD National my personal fave, except 17, which should be blown up, if they haven't already.

Senior club championship coming up for me next weekend, and my game is in pretty solid shape, so I fancy my chances. Unfortunately, I have a home on Hilton Head island, and may have to go there to assess damage next weekend. Roads are still closed, and power not expected to be available until midweek at the earliest.

Oh well, nothing I can do about mother nature, guess I'll go beat some balls to release stress and frustration.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

Someone needs to seriously educate American golf fans after the Ryder Cup on how to behave. There's passion. And there's being a bunch of drunken louts 

Hail. 

Bless your heart.  I'm sure the Euros will be on their best behavior two years from now.

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, Long n Left said:

Oh well, nothing I can do about mother nature, guess I'll go beat some balls to release stress and frustration.

I lost my really super close driving range.  An $8 bucket of balls beats drinking yourself into a stumbling asdhab djg;fgahjhdf ......... idiot.

(Even my husband was upset when he finally took my bag out of my trunk.) 

Edit, add:  Hope all is well, L&L...I've lived near there, and was almost happy to be inland this go-'round.

Edited by skinsmarydu
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

Excellent thread title :rofl89:

:ols:

Bristow was actually ok, it was the wind that was rough today. 30 mph nonstop.

I hit a 4 hybrid, which usually goes 190, and it went 145...

My buddy hit a 3 wood, usually goes 225, to clear a creak (needed 179 to clear) and he landed 25 yards short of the creek :ols:

All four of us hit driver off one hole and the balls just sat up high in the sky like they grew wings. It was nuts.

If you had more than a 10 foot putt there was a solid chance the wind was going to push the ball around.

Shot a 102. Struck the ball well. Just not good enough to play in that kind of wind.

Took off Friday to play Shenandoah Valley, as we found a 7:48am hot deal on golfnow for $12 per player.  Should have known it was too good to be true as we showed up and they were having a tournament on 2 of the 3 9's beginning at 9am.  We were advised that we had to play the blue nine twice.  Not only do I hate playing the same nine twice, but the blue side is my nemesis as it has numerous blind tee shots that I'm not a big fan of.  They did allow us to play one of the other nines until 9am which we got in 6 free holes and that was cool. 

We head over to the blue nine and it would appear their fairways have not recovered from aeration.  The entire fairway on every hole was littered with holes and crusty plugs everywhere.  Every shot out of the fairway was followed by a cloud of brown dust.  Yet the greens were perfectly healed and showed no signs of the previous aeration. It was odd to say the least and after all it only cost 12 bucks.  The ladies behind us were not so fortunate as they told us they paid 45/person to play. 

I understand running a golf course is not easy, and weather conditions can make or break everything.  At the same time, I'm not sure how places get off charging full price for such poor conditions. 

• Like 1

On October 9, 2016 at 6:16 AM, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

Hail. 

Lessons in sportsmanship from the UK. We've seen it all now

• Like 3

I e played more this summer than I have since college. Back to shooting fairly consistently in the high 80s

im really going to focus on my driver. I feel like I could be shooting low 80s and high 70s if I could actually get off the tee. Right now I'm hitting either my hybrid 3 or occasional 3 wood which are both sporadic. Once I'm within 200 yards of the pin I am up and down in 3 fairly consistently. Just getting there is a pain in the dick though

my putting and short game has improved tremendously and I attribute that directly to my age. Being able to shrug off a bad shot or otherwise exercise patience was not a trait I possessed in my younger days whatsoever. That is so key around the green

anyway I hope I can keep playing fairly consistently I really enjoy it

23 minutes ago, zoony said:

Lessons in sportsmanship from the UK. We've seen it all now

Right.

Considering the comments made by Willet's brother leading up to the Ryder Cup, they got what they asked for.  At least when the US loses, we point fingers internally rather than at the meanie crowd.  Not that I think Willet will be on future Ryder Cup teams, but he welcomed more heckling while playing here in the US with his whiny, cry-baby comments and insults post Ryder Cup.

21 minutes ago, zoony said:

I e played more this summer than I have since college. Back to shooting fairly consistently in the high 80s

im really going to focus on my driver. I feel like I could be shooting low 80s and high 70s if I could actually get off the tee. Right now I'm hitting either my hybrid 3 or occasional 3 wood which are both sporadic. Once I'm within 200 yards of the pin I am up and down in 3 fairly consistently. Just getting there is a pain in the dick though

my putting and short game has improved tremendously and I attribute that directly to my age. Being able to shrug off a bad shot or otherwise exercise patience was not a trait I possessed in my younger days whatsoever. That is so key around the green

anyway I hope I can keep playing fairly consistently I really enjoy it

This past March, I went to see a PGA pro specifically about the driver.  He fixed me up in 15 minutes and only charged me $20 bucks than the $80 for the full hour I booked.  If you are swinging your other clubs relatively well, but can't hit the driver for crap - it's typically a simple fix.  For me, it was trying to kill it.  So I was taking it away around my body creating a more powerful turn and then losing balance through the shot trying to fix what I had done.  I would suggest going to see a pro and then the key is - actually going out and practicing the fix they provide. 

• Like 1

Good lord was play slow this morning.

Shot a 99, wasn't a great day for me, but after not using my driver all summer I just started this weekend. Put me in some bad spot but I'm getting there. Also it's now low 70's but when I started it was low 50's and it's just hard to get fluid swings when you're cold. Also no warm up, I could warm up and go off at my tee time at 9:30 or I could go when I got there. Glad I went right away, it was even slower play behind me. Think I'll skip the holiday from now on...

Sounds to me like he just isn't scoring well enough to put it on display more than it is related to his back.  

If I don't play golf for 2 weeks I can go from 90 to 104.  I can only imagine what it would be like not playing for a year.

Perhaps he underestimated his impact and got cold feet when he realized that people actually cared about fall PGA events for the first time in forever.