Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Golf

tshile

57 minutes ago, Long n Left said:

In match play, you hit different shots depending on the situation, in medal play, you just play your own game, shot by shot. They are very different pressures and mentalities. 

Excelling at match play doesn't mean you're a better competitor than the guy who excels at stroke play.  The top Americans as well as the top Europeans are the best competitors in their sport period.  Pinning the Americans' struggles in the Ryder Cup on having wives that are too hot and having too much money is absurd.

9 minutes ago, skinfan2k said:

Do people realize that 10 of the 12 american golfers have been playing every week for the past month while only 5 of the 12 euros played in the Fedex cup chase?

Did they even qualify? Don’t majority of them play sparingly over here?

poulter has struggled just to maintain status

3 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Pinning the Americans' struggles in the Ryder Cup on having wives that are too hot and having too much money is absurd.

Interesting, I heard a prior European Ryder Cup golfer say on the Golf Channel exactly that.  Obviously the point was that the Europeans always see themselves as the underdogs.  By no means was he or I pinning the Americans struggles on that.  It’s just part of the soup.  It’s very clear that the Europeans care more about beating the US than the US does to beat the Europeans. And I’m sure part of that is because the American live a charmed life on a higher level than most of the European team.

1 hour ago, skinfan2k said:

Do people realize that 10 of the 12 american golfers have been playing every week for the past month while only 5 of the 12 euros played in the Fedex cup chase?

That is another factor as well.  I think plenty goes into losing considering the Americans clearly have the better team but can’t seem to win.

1 hour ago, tshile said:

Did they even qualify? Don’t majority of them play sparingly over here?

poulter has struggled just to maintain status

Thats what i'm saying.  Also, the euros played that course a total of 260+ times, while the americans in total played it for 8 rounds (aka 2 people played 1 4 day round in it).  The euro had the defending champ play on their team.  

17 hours ago, skinfan2k said:

Thats what i'm saying.  Also, the euros played that course a total of 260+ times, while the americans in total played it for 8 rounds (aka 2 people played 1 4 day round in it).  The euro had the defending champ play on their team.  

Thats the beauty of home field advantage.  The course is manipulated 100% to favor the home team.  In fact, I feel like we don't take the same luxuries when we host it.  We have some courses that shouldn't allow for a single par round if you do them right.   We also have the distinct advantage of the ball strikers, yet we don't use that when we lay stateside.  Give me the biggest, longest, widest course on the tour and let the big boys eat.  The Euros scheme their whole season around the Ryder cup, while we treat it as an all star game.  

3 hours ago, OVCChairman said:

Thats the beauty of home field advantage.  The course is manipulated 100% to favor the home team.  In fact, I feel like we don't take the same luxuries when we host it.  We have some courses that shouldn't allow for a single par round if you do them right.   We also have the distinct advantage of the ball strikers, yet we don't use that when we lay stateside.  Give me the biggest, longest, widest course on the tour and let the big boys eat.  The Euros scheme their whole season around the Ryder cup, while we treat it as an all star game.  

we have no advantage. most of the best euros play in america.  they pretty play all the courses in america.  no good american plays on the euro tour

12 hours ago, skinfan2k said:

we have no advantage. most of the best euros play in america.  they pretty play all the courses in america.  no good american plays on the euro tour

But the Euros have courses they struggle with over here... it happens every year.  Look at the leaderboard for Pebble Beach this past February

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...