Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Golf

tshile

2 hours ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

This course certainly doesn’t lend well to the American player that typically wants to overpower the golf course.  There are roughly 4 driver holes, pencil thin fairways, and nasty gnarly rough.  The US were big favorites and my brain told me to bet on Europe but I’m simply too much of a patriot to do such a thing!

Well its only day 1.  Europe played out of their minds.  Golf is nothing if not wildly inconsistent

Should have paired Woods and Michelson together and mitigated losses. Woods never can get his emotions up for this and Michelson obviously is gassed at this pointing the season. Put the 2 together and see if they could have drew some magic out of each other in the morning session. Rest both in the afternoon. 

But, the course is not favorable to a US team with the likes of guys who can drive 400 yards and such. Doesn't help when the fairways hit % seems less than 50% for a the US team. Oh yea, they forgot how to putt as well

Edited by Bonez3

8 hours ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Nice work on that Woods/DeChambeau afternoon pairing, Jim.

Very insightful!

They should have put dechambeau with Phil so at least all the suck was out there together. 

I cant ****ing stand dechambeau. Dude takes 30 minutes sizing up how to miss a put by 10 feet to the side. Then storms around about it

• Haha 2

Simply put.  US golfers play one style of golf.  Bomb it anywhere and hit into soft greens.  

Its not hard to see why they fail on courses that require shotmakig and finesse.  Europe knows this and will continue to choose courses that make US players the most uncomfortable. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Kilmer17 said:

Simply put.  US golfers play one style of golf.  Bomb it anywhere and hit into soft greens.  

Its not hard to see why they fail on courses that require shotmakig and finesse.  Europe knows this and will continue to choose courses that make US players the most uncomfortable. 

Honestly, I believe it has more to do with upbringing. Most all of the Americans come from wealthy families, and/or golf centric families. Fowler and Finau are about the only ones who did not, and Fowler was aces in match play when he was younger, dominating in the Walker Cup, and Finau was the best American player. Most of those guys never actually worked a day in their life. They are the epitome of pampered.

More of the Europeans grew up harder, and they and their families had to make big concessions in order for them to reach the heights they have. I think they show more mettle than the Americans because of this, and it shows up in this competition.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Long n Left said:

Honestly, I believe it has more to do with upbringing. Most all of the Americans come from wealthy families, and/or golf centric families. Fowler and Finau are about the only ones who did not, and Fowler was aces in match play when he was younger, dominating in the Walker Cup, and Finau was the best American player. Most of those guys never actually worked a day in their life. They are the epitome of pampered.

More of the Europeans grew up harder, and they and their families had to make big concessions in order for them to reach the heights they have. I think they show more mettle than the Americans because of this, and it shows up in this competition.

Isn't this how America works though? I'm indian and i know damn well my parents worked their ass off, so i better not **** up

1 hour ago, skinfan2k said:

Isn't this how America works though? I'm indian and i know damn well my parents worked their ass off, so i better not **** up

I think it’s how the world works. If one grows up privileged, and never has to work, or make concessions, in order to succeed, then that one generally grows up pampered and soft.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Long n Left said:

I think it’s how the world works. If one grows up privileged, and never has to work, or make concessions, in order to succeed, then that one generally grows up pampered and soft. 

If they were soft competitors, they wouldn't be dominating tournaments.  Kilmer's theory about the course makes more sense.

33 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

If they were soft competitors, they wouldn't be dominating tournaments.  Kilmer's theory about the course makes more sense.

I think it’s a combo of both.  I brought up the course back on Thursday.  It was obvious they chose one of the tightest courses they could and let the rough grow to absurd levels.  Well played by the Europeans.  At the same time, I can see where what Long n Left is saying comes into play in a team event like this.  The Europeans see the Americans as ridiculously rich with gorgeous wives and fanfare.  I’m sure it doesn’t take much to get them up to want to beat them badly. Not so much the same for the Americans.

Edited by BatteredFanSyndrome

I thought it was weird reed was the only player not going along with the sunglasses bit. 

Generally im a person who thinks those things are dumb and it always feels like the people who show off before the event, wind up losing often in humiliating fashion because their heads are up their asses. 

But it was was sort of beniegn and I noticed reed wasn’t participating. 

Now we see all the nonsense leaking out after the event regarding reed. 

In addition to the course difference outlined, I think we had a bad “team” atmosphere.

ive always l liked reed because he seems like a hard core competitor above all and I like that, but god it’s hard to root for a person that comes off so whiny and petulant. 

2 hours ago, Long n Left said:

Match play vs medal play...big difference.

That's a better explanation for why the American players struggle in the format than saying they are softer and less competitive.  It goes to Kilmer's point about the American players not being able to adjust to the kinds of courses they play on in Europe.

1 hour ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

That's a better explanation for why the American players struggle in the format than saying they are softer and less competitive.  It goes to Kilmer's point about the American players not being able to adjust to the kinds of courses they play on in Europe.

Not really. I think the course thing is over blown. These guys are the best in the world, and they can’t hit fairways and greens? BS, they choked. It’s the same setup as many a US Open track, and plenty of these US players do just fine there.

Medal play is you focused on yourself, much easier for these pampered guys than to play one v one, or two v two, and playing for the team. Entirely different kind of pressure. I’ve played competitive golf for over 40 years, and am a much better match play player than medal. I believe it comes from being able to look my competitor in the eye, letting him know, non-verbally, that I’m gonna win, no matter what. 

In match play, you hit different shots depending on the situation, in medal play, you just play your own game, shot by shot. They are very different pressures and mentalities.

• Thanks 1