Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Golf

tshile

22 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

So is Tiger still washed up or are some people man enough to admit they were wrong?

People weren’t wrong. He hasn’t won in 5 years, he was really terrible and nobody saw this coming after his latest back surgery. 

Hopefully he’s back but he needs to actually win first. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Hersh said:

People weren’t wrong. He hasn’t won in 5 years, he was really terrible and nobody saw this coming after his latest back surgery. 

Hopefully he’s back but he needs to actually win first. 

People were wrong, people were very wrong

• Like 1

The now closed Tiger thread was full of people who said Tiger would never win again. If you (and others) still believe that, then I don't know what else to say. 

1 hour ago, Hersh said:

So how should people refer to the last 5 years of Tiger's golf life? 

Injured and troubled. Talent was there. Failing body and mind/soul wasn't. He seems to have corrected both. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

The now closed Tiger thread was full of people who said Tiger would never win again. If you (and others) still believe that, then I don't know what else to say. 

Injured and troubled. Talent was there. Failing body and mind/soul wasn't. He seems to have corrected both. 

I don't care either way but maybe people can let him win first and have some sustained success. Question based on your statement "Talent was there." (and I don't mean this in an argumentative way): Do top professional athletes ever lose the talent? Okay, one more question and again, not argumentative: What does it mean to be washed up?

7 hours ago, The Evil Genius said:

That DUI a couple years ago pretty much had me convinced that it was over for Tiger.  I do remember remarking that, even if Tiger made a full recovery, he’d likely find the competition from the new generation of players to be much tougher than what he faced in the 00s.

7 hours ago, Hersh said:

I don't care either way but maybe people can let him win first and have some sustained success. Question based on your statement "Talent was there." (and I don't mean this in an argumentative way): Do top professional athletes ever lose the talent? Okay, one more question and again, not argumentative: What does it mean to be washed up?

This is my take as well. 

I think the other thing to keep in mind is that back injuries tend to linger for ones life.  I hope he is past it but there are no guarantees.  

• Like 1

Today’s players aren’t afraid of Tiger like players were 15 years ago. 

They hit it longer.  Straighter.  And have the short game that Tiger used to have an exclusive on. 

I think  he could win another major.  But it will take a week of brilliance.  Not just a couple of days. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Kilmer17 said:

Today’s players aren’t afraid of Tiger like players were 15 years ago. 

They hit it longer.  Straighter.  And have the short game that Tiger used to have an exclusive on. 

I think  he could win another major.  But it will take a week of brilliance.  Not just a couple of days. 

Absolutely true, and probably not discussed often enough.  Tiger had a brilliant first run but the field was nowhere near as competitive as it is today.

There are dozens of players that can hit 320 and putt like bobby locke nowadays.  Tiger is definitely one of them, but even if 100 percent healthy I just dont see him having the same type of run

He will never be that dominant again. He went from running laps around the competition and being far and away the best golfer now to just being one of the 10-15 best. Still good enough to sneak out a couple majors if everything goes his way. He won't intimidate anyone and it's never going to come as easy as it used to. 

Edited by Momma There Goes That Man

I agree that todays players are no longer afraid of him.  That is until he actually does win another and continues to threaten most weeks.  You saw it for a brief moment yesterday, Tiger's game face - where things started getting real.  Once he figures his driver out, watch out world.  I don't think he will win with the regularity that he used to but he absolutely will win more golf tournaments.  Once that starts happening, he and the roars of his successes no doubt will make these new kids knees knock.  Mark my words.

Tiger was instrumental in getting golf, especially American golf, to where it is today, but if the field was this strong in 2004 he wouldn't have anywhere near 14 majors.  Also another thing to consider is the back issues are never going away.  He can be locked in but all it takes is waking up one morning and the back isn't right and then his tournament is ruined.

He can certainly win more majors, but he's probably not going to be the favorite again.  Not unless a bunch of the younger guys have injury issues.  And even then, none of them face the same kind of pressure mentally that Tiger does.  The golf world hang on every swing he takes.

9 hours ago, The Evil Genius said:

Um, he still hasn’t won and he looks pretty terrible when he’s competing - like it comes with a lot of pain. Maybe it doesn’t and that’s just the way he looks now that he’s older. 

You really came in here to gloat about tiger not being washed up after multiple back surgeries, a terrible dui situation, and years of withdrawals after poor performances and months upon months of not even playing?

because he was in position on Sunday? 

:rofl89:

Edited by tshile