Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Golf

tshile

Mickelsons meltdown was awesome.  Im not sure why hes portrayed as Jesus, love it when we get reminders that he isnt

That course is evil.  I think the USGA ****ed up.  Im all for making it hard, but it should not be impossible.  Good luck putting on 15 or 18 :ols:

26 minutes ago, zoony said:

Mickelsons meltdown was awesome.  Im not sure why hes portrayed as Jesus, love it when we get reminders that he isnt

That course is evil.  I think the USGA ****ed up.  Im all for making it hard, but it should not be impossible.  Good luck putting on 15 or 18 :ols:

I thought the same...that course is torture on a good weather day.?

1 hour ago, abdcskins said:

I thought the Mickelson move was great. It may have broken some sacred golf rule but I thought it was lighthearted and hilarious. It's his score who cares?

The sanctimonious writer at ESPN seems to think it's the worst thing ever.  http://www.espn.com/golf/story/_/id/23815139/phil-mickelson-withdraw-us-open-bizarre-display-13th-hole-shinne****-hills

I thought it was pretty funny.  Not hurting anyone other than himself.   

• Like 1

Seems like a douchbag move and disrespect to a game that has given him

enormous wealth.

So if you don't want to continue to play a hole you can pull a stunt like that and only be penalized two strokes?

I think he should be disqualified and I don't give a **** about golf. 

It doesn’t change how it think of him, I still love everything about him. Dudes even a legit gambler. 

But he should have been DQ’d

(and buck and the ridiculous golf pundits should find something that’s actually interesting to discuss. This is why everyone hates you)

• Like 1

That was some good golfing today.  Looked like they fixed the cup placement.  This was a fun event, I liked this course.  Nice change of pace seeing guys have to put thought into their tee shots beyond "hit ball far."

I like Tommy Fleetwood, I was pulling for him to steal this one.  What a round.  If only he'd birdied the 18 too.

Impressive achievement by Koepka.  Such a different course and style of play from last year.

• 2 weeks later...

I played 27 holes friday and 18 on saturday.  Shot a 41 on 9 holes, but had a couple of meltdowns on my 18 hole rounds and shot an 88 and 87, respectively

Overall im pretty pleased, ive been a lot more consistent with my 3 wood and can actually get off the tee.  Makes the game so much easier :ols:. Now, if only i could putt

The 9 holes i shot a 41 on, i walked.  I always seem to play better when i walk... and carrying a bag in 90 degree heat is awesome cardio :)

• Like 6

10 hours ago, zoony said:

Now, if only i could putt

By far the most overlooked part of every amateurs game.  Including mine.  Which is sad considering it’s literally the easiest part of the game to practice regularly.

I played the Links at Lighthouse Sound in OC on Friday am with a father and son.  By far the most scenic, beautiful, manicured course with absolute pristine greens that I’ve ever had the pleasure to play.  I had 35 putts on the round and shot 94.  Course was difficult, never had so much fun shooting a 94.

Anyways the son is in his early 20’s and just an amateur who they say has never played competitively.  Shot a freaking 76.  Never have I played with someone who putted as well as this kid.  Every putt either sunk or left with an easy tap in. 

Edited by BatteredFanSyndrome
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

By far the most overlooked part of every amateurs game.  Including mine.  Which is sad considering it’s literally the easiest part of the game to practice regularly.

I played the Links at Lighthouse Sound in OC on Friday am with a father and son.  By far the most scenic, beautiful, manicured course with absolute pristine greens that I’ve ever had the pleasure to play.  I had 35 putts on the round and shot 94.  Course was difficult, never had so much fun shooting a 94.

Anyways the son is in his early 20’s and just an amateur who they say has never played competitively.  Shot a freaking 76.  Never have I played with someone who putted as well as this kid.  Every putt either sunk or left with an easy tap in. 

Yup, if i could just avoid 3 putting i would be happy.  I 3 putt sometimes up to 8 times per round.  But if i could consistently drain 6 to 10 footers, Lord, I might apply for a pro position somewhere :P

Friday, i was sitting at 35 going onto the 9th tee.  Number 9 is a par 5 and i thought wow, if i could birdie, i could break 40.  Hit my tee shot 250 yards straight down the center of the fairway.  Layed up with my 5 iron on my second shot (green protected by a sharp dogleg).  Left me 120 to the pin.  I dialed up my pitching wedge and put it 12 feet from the cup.  It was happening... but i 3 putted from 12 feet and shot a 41.  FML

I struggle practicing because my problem is reading a green and lag, neither of which are helped by a home putting mat.  I have one of those, i can drain 10 in a row, doesnt help me at all on the course :ols:

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, zoony said:

I struggle practicing because my problem is reading a green and lag, neither of which are helped by a home putting mat.  I have one of those, i can drain 10 in a row, doesnt help me at all on the course :ols:

That’s true.  

The putting mat helps to build a consistent stroke and confidence.  But it can’t stop you from seeing break that isn’t there or misjudging the speed.  

Having one place you play regularly can help with that.  But for someone like me who enjoys playing different courses, none are built the same and it make the game incredibly frustrating.

As a competitive golfer of 40+ years, my advice to both of you is practice, practice, practice. Goes for golf in general. It is a game of muscle memory.

Indoor putting is great for honing your stroke, and that is vital. Also, IMO, putting is like shooting free throws, repetition is king. Have the exact same routine for every putt, it will help your confidence, and putting is 25% confidence in my book. There are times when every putt I step up to is makeable, and times where I cringe. I putt far better when confident.

Keep a putter and a couple balls in your car. On the way home from work, or if you’re out driving, and can spare a half hour, find a nearby course, and hit the putting green. The better the green, the better your practice, but any is better than none.

When I play any course, even my home course, I always spend the first 15 minutes on the putting green. I will hit a number of putts from about 40 feet, uphill, downhill, flat, then move in to 15-20 feet and repeat, up, down, flat. That gives me feel for speed. Finally, I’ll hit a number of putts from about 5-6 feet just to work on stroke and direction. Always will hit a few more right before I tee off, after range work.

Finally, reading greens. Use everything. Notice the lay of the land as you walk to the green, and the lay of the entire course property. Putts generally break towards any large body of water, and away from mountains and large hills. Look at the contours specific to your putt. Mounds that flow into the green edge can affect putts, especially near green side bunkers. Look from all sides. You may notice more or less break than you originally thought looking from the side angle, and getting a better feel for the severity of a slope. Use your feet. You can stand straddling your line, and feel which way you might be leaning, giving you a feel for which way the putt will move, and how hard. 

Hope this helps. I’m full of great golf tips (and other stuff, If you ask my wife), just hit me up. 

I would also also recommend to any amateur weekend golfer to use a large style sight alignment type putter. Blade putters are great for experienced golfers, IMO, but can twist much more easily than more mallet style putters. There’s a reason more pros use mallet style sight alignment putters, they work. Personally, I use the ultra popular Odyssey #7 style putter. Absolutely best putter I’ve ever owned.

• Like 1

I can't hit a pitch shot right now. Something happens where it bangs off he toe/bottom of the blade and goes 45 degrees sideways. I first was looking up, then I was moving my head the opposite way, then trying not to sway and now I'm lost. 

If anybody has a setup tool or drill of something, let me know. It's gotten so bad, I almost prefer to hit a full swing flop shot from 30 yards out. Ugh. 

6 minutes ago, TheDoyler23 said:

I can't hit a pitch shot right now. Something happens where it bangs off he toe/bottom of the blade and goes 45 degrees sideways. I first was looking up, then I was moving my head the opposite way, then trying not to sway and now I'm lost. 

If anybody has a setup tool or drill of something, let me know. It's gotten so bad, I almost prefer to hit a full swing flop shot from 30 yards out. Ugh. 

I focus on my backswing.  Everything else i approach like i would a full iron shot.  However by checking your backswing you will adjust the distance

So if you hit a wedge 120 yards, taking a 3/4 of a back swing you will hit it 75 yards.  1/2 a backswing would be 50 yards.  Might be different for you, go to the range and fool around with it.  But my advice is dont change anything but your backswing

I have said often that the 70 yard shot is one of the hardest in golf.  I would ALWAYS prefer a full swing, 120 yards out

20 minutes ago, skinfan2k said:

you guys know any good ways to clear your hips.  I have an anterior pelvic tilt so it makes it even worse 

I know it's old school now, but Tiger's swing analysis (ESPN, from the 90s) helped me alot back then. The key to turning your hips early and staying accurate is keeping your head down, eye on the ball. 

Btw, it may also require a good chiropractor. ?

On 7/2/2018 at 3:18 PM, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

Video

Thanks for this! It wasn’t exactly my issue, but practicing an outside of the hands path helped. 

I also noticed that I was playing the ball a little too forward and then setting my front shoulder up instead of more level. 

Those combined with a tendency to peek was 90% of the problem. I toe snagged only one yesterday and even that one sort of went toward the hole, so it’s progress! 

• Like 2