Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Golf

tshile

There I was looking forward to my fathers day Sunday of an early morning tee time, followed by a large brunch with biscuits, gravy and ****tails, to be followed exclusively by being a lazy sob laid up on the couch intensely watching the US Open.

I was able to do all those things outside of watch the US Open intensely.  I could barely keep my eyes open.  That final round desperately needed Rickie or Reed to get it going and make a push.  To add insult to injury, it would seem as if Koepka didn't really care all that much that he won.  By far the least emotional major victory I can recall.

Saturday US Open > Sunday US Open, by a mile, as far as entertainment value.

Edited by BatteredFanSyndrome

Yeah, felt the same here. It just fell flat. Not every event is going to be exciting, but maybe it was the announcers or the players involved. There was just something lacking. Don't get me wrong, the announcers were fine, but they're not Jim Nantz, Faldo, McCord, Miller, Feherty, Hicks, or Maltbie. 

Just now, Busch1724 said:

Yeah, felt the same here. It just fell flat. Not every event is going to be exciting, but maybe it was the announcers or the players involved. There was just something lacking. Don't get me wrong, the announcers were fine, but they're not Jim Nantz, Faldo, McCord, Miller, Feherty, Hicks, or Maltbie. 

Even my husband said, "What the **** is Joe Buck...(and then we were in unison)... doing calling golf?"

You know, I don't know how to explain it. He's a great announcer and I love when he does football. I thought his commentary was mostly fine, but for whatever reason he just doesn't have a "golf" voice. I don't know what that is, but I know what it isn't haha. 

I was kind of in the middle on Joe Buck.  He was okay, but to your point - his voice doesn't really settle in for golf.

I personally thought it was more the lack of swings or pushes, it just kinda felt like some guy nobody really cared about was going to win the entire time.  None of the household names put an ounce of pressure on the very top of the leaderboard at any point.  Golf majors need that drama.  It's okay to have no-namers in there but you definitely want some stars in the mix and you'd like to see the leaderboard shakeup somewhat.

4 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I was kind of in the middle on Joe Buck.  He was okay, but to your point - his voice doesn't really settle in for golf.

I personally thought it was more the lack of swings or pushes, it just kinda felt like some guy nobody really cared about was going to win the entire time.  None of the household names put an ounce of pressure on the very top of the leaderboard at any point.  Golf majors need that drama.  It's okay to have no-namers in there but you definitely want some stars in the mix and you'd like to see the leaderboard shakeup somewhat.

The thing about it is...today's no-namers are gonna be tomorrow's stars...and we got to see them coming up, fighting...not like Tiger, who was pretty much annointed with his first Jr. championship media-wise, and not taking anything from him at all...these guys have all done it the same way, just with less fanfare.

edit, add: it's a serious game, maybe lacking of hoopla...and maybe that's how the newcomers view it...seriously.:ols:

Edited by skinsmarydu

Yeah but sometimes todays no-namers remain no-namers even if they win a major.  See guys like Schwartzel and Danny Willet.

I'm not saying Koepka can't end up a star, but I will say that I wasn't surprised when he was described as "not a golf nut".  Everyone has their own style but he's much too reserved and even keeled for my entertainment.  He made some huge putts to win it so I'm not trying to discredit his win, it's just never appeared that anyone was going to challenge him for the last few hours...which is what made it a snoozer.

Edited by BatteredFanSyndrome

• 4 weeks later...

That Texas kid that nobody could touch a couple years ago looks to be at it again. Not Texas summer weather though.

Koepka comes off the couch to be a factor in another major. Nice to have that kind of natural talent!

Myself, I'm rooting for Poulter and Matsuyama. A Speith victory wouldn't piss me off tho.

7 minutes ago, skinfan2k said:

something just clicked in my golf game, maybe its the lessons i am taking but i played 9 holes last sunday.  3 pars and a 1 birdie and i played 5 over on 9 holes. 

YOU DA MAN!  I remember my first bogey, LOL...to me, that was monumental!

We did an "Applebee's Classic" here with the original 8 stores for years...4-man best ball, shotgun start at 7 am, Bloody Marys and Jager provided. :cheers: Beer girls made a ton (what I did my first year before I picked up a club). Two years later,  I was always the best putter-person on my team (same 3 other guys, we were all friends and they got me going on actually playing the game, and it was always this same course)..."show us what it looks like, Mary"...I sunk a 40-footer on the first of our foursome for a birdie...we did a SportsCenter song & dance right there on the green, just had to.:headbang:

4 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

One horse, maybe.

C'mon, Kooch!  We were super dead today, I can't remember when I watched that much of ANYTHING while working, haha...thought he'd catch Jordan, but tomorrow should be super awesome. 

1 hour ago, skinfan2k said:

something just clicked in my golf game, maybe its the lessons i am taking but i played 9 holes last sunday.  3 pars and a 1 birdie and i played 5 over on 9 holes. 

Nice!

Enjoy it while can.The golf gods do that occasionally,  just so you keep playing and buying golf stuff.

• Like 2