Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Golf

tshile

Oh, some weird topics for the morning:

McIroy to have MRI - :(

This place is going to charge by the hour for greens fees - http://www.golfwrx.com/422132/missouri-course-to-try-pay-by-the-hour-greens-fees/

I'm forming an opinion after a sick weekend and with 1/2 a cup of coffee on Monday morning so I reserve the right to completely change my mind later:

Cool - people who take forever will be penalized for that. My buddy and I can play in < 3 hours, the fact that it regularly takes > 4 hours (and > 4.5 hours mid-day on a weekend) to play on a weekend is absurd and really screws with my ability to play (I've pretty much accepted I can only play M-F now and have to take off work to do so.)

Umm - so, if the group in front of me is super slow I have to pay more too? What... you're already wrecking my afternoon...

Cool - If the group is taking way too long I can bail and only have paid per/hour for time spent on the course. This introduces a new dynamic to scheduling a golf outing that could be interesting...

I guess we'll see the results... if it results in net/net shorter rounds then i'm all for it. If golf was a 3-3 1/2 hour thing I'd be able to play so much more :(

Tshile,

Now people will really fight over slow play on the course!!! If it's going to cost more to play longer...people will fight. Throw beer into the mix, I see fireworks!

Rory will not have a long career at the top...the body just can't handle that kind of mass long term. I'm wondering if we'll see an eventual trend in golf to get more into flexibility  training instead of packing on muscle.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Busch1724 said:

I'm wondering if we'll see an eventual trend in golf to get more into flexibility  training instead of packing on muscle.

After what happened to Woods, I was kind of surprised to see Rory boasting about his squats and stuff on twitter last year.

Golf isn't like football where you have to be that sort of shape. It's a shame they don't do a better job of balancing it all out.

(side note: Jordan Speith doesn't look like he needs to worry about his weight lifting routines messing up his back/knees, dude looks like Brady at the combine :ols: )

• Like 2

Anyone ever booked a golf package?

Wife and I are visiting people in Hilton Head and I want to play a lot of golf. So either a site or service, or packages specific to there, or just general opinions of places there would be appreciate

Add:

Already have a place to stay so golf only is what I'm looking for

Anyone know the ease with which I can book rounds on the fly a week in mid-may?

Edited by tshile

10 hours ago, tshile said:

Anyone ever booked a golf package?

Wife and I are visiting people in Hilton Head and I want to play a lot of golf. So either a site or service, or packages specific to there, or just general opinions of places there would be appreciate

Add:

Already have a place to stay so golf only is what I'm looking for

Anyone know the ease with which I can book rounds on the fly a week in mid-may?

Check GolfNow. I've got a place down there, so I know it well. There are so many good courses to choose from, and a number of them are on GolfNow.

I don't know your level of play, or what you're looking for in a course, but even a number of the mediocre, less expensive courses down there are very nice.

Eagles Pointe and Crescent Pointe are both solid tracks and can be found cheap on GolfNow, as are the other Brown Golf courses: Island West and Pinecrest.

If you don't mind driving a little, Patriots Point on the Parris Island Marine base is a great layout always in top shape, and is inexpensive. No frills little wood clubhouse and grill, but the burgers are great and beer cold. Drive is 45 minutes or so from Sea Pines circle.

The course in Savannah at the Wyndham resort, it's actually on an island in the middle of the Savannah River, is a top notch experience well worth the almost hour drive. Impeccably maintained, very playable course, but generally over $100.

Oyster Reef is a favorite of mine, and is on GolfNow, I believe. Old South is fun, especially if the gator is out sunning himself on the target green. I haven't hit him yet! Old South had 3-4 holes that are island greens and fairways, can be tough for less experienced golfers.

Bear Creek is a good track also, but again, tougher for less advanced golfers. It's a tree-lined Rees Jones layout with lots of bunkers, and usually very quick greens.

Finally, my fave on the island (outside of the $250 Harbour Town) is the RTJ course at Palmetto Dunes. Spectacular scenery, fun layout, and playable from the proper set of tees. You have to book through them though, and it can be more expensive.

There's many more, so if you want, please feel free to PM me.

• Like 2

I can only imagine pay by the hour golf working at places where they have GPS that can track the movement and timing of all players on the course.  Then they would have to determine a way to bill time based on the actions of each party.  I can't see it working, for example, if I have to pay more money because the group in front of me is slow.

I think one thing every course needs to do is stress pace of play & letting people play through in different ways: signs, have the cashier and starter discuss it, etc.  I think many times the hackers are completely oblivious to whats going on around them, that they don't even realize how pissed off we are behind them while they are chugging beers, looking for their golf balls and hitting extra shots.  Courses need these players to stay afloat.  They just need to educated them on how to manage their time on the course.

Several times I've been on my way to what would appear to be solid/personal-best round only to be left standing on the 15th tee, staring at a foursome of numbnuts 295 yards from the green waiting for the green to clear before they shank their next shot 30 yards forward and 50 yards right.  Even when I try to remain patient and not lose my mind, the body will start to tighten up, and naturally the round will go to crap.  Kills me!

As for the weather, looks great on Thursday and Friday says rain for home and anywhere around me.  My buddy is off Friday and wants me to take PTO so we can play, but I'd be devastated to use a PTO day and not end up playing due to rain.

Edited by BatteredFanSyndrome

56 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I think one thing every course needs to do is stress pace of play & letting people play through in different ways: signs, have the cashier and starter discuss it, etc.  I think many times the hackers are completely oblivious to whats going on around them, that they don't even realize how pissed off we are behind them while they are chugging beers, looking for their golf balls and hitting extra shots.  Courses need these players to stay afloat.  They just need to educated them on how to manage their time on the course.

Yea, I think 9/10 it's an education and enforcement thing. 

How about when someone in the group in front of you is trying to give someone a lesson in the middle of the fairway... 

Or the group in front of you is slow and you see them constantly walking back across the green to their cart/bag to get their putter after chipping/pitching. Like, you can take that one with you as well! Who taught you how to play?

@Long n Left thanks a ton. i need to read over that a few times and do some more looking.

here's the thing... my wife and I are not exactly great golfers. I shot an 85 last summer and that was by far and away my best round to date. she doesn't even really keep score. we're looking for fun courses to play, that are pretty, but we don't have the golf game to justify a $350/per person/per round game... as nice as those courses are, it would just be a waste of money.

I need to go look at those courses and see what i can find.

do you think I need to book things in advance, or should it be pretty easy to book them on the fly?

6 hours ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Several times I've been on my way to what would appear to be solid/personal-best round only to be left standing on the 15th tee, staring at a foursome of numbnuts 295 yards from the green waiting for the green to clear before they shank their next shot 30 yards forward and 50 yards right.

That is the best... now, keep in mind, i'm a 'hacker'. i'm terrible. but i play with a scratch player and a guy who can at least shoot under 90 regularly, so i've been taught not to be like that.

the dudes that think they're going to crush it so they wait for the group 300+ yards away to clear, then they duff it 20 yards makes me laugh.

the problem where i live, according to the people who've been playing here forever, is that golf's popularity has died so much lately that the courses can't afford to staff marshalls to enforce the rules. apparently there used to be a marshall for almost every hole, and they'd keep things moving, but now... you see them around the clubhouse... #1, #9, #10, and #18... in between, it's the wild west.

5 minutes ago, tshile said:

That is the best... now, keep in mind, i'm a 'hacker'. i'm terrible. but i play with a scratch player and a guy who can at least shoot under 90 regularly, so i've been taught not to be like that.

the dudes that think they're going to crush it so they wait for the group 300+ yards away to clear, then they duff it 20 yards makes me laugh.

the problem where i live, according to the people who've been playing here forever, is that golf's popularity has died so much lately that the courses can't afford to staff marshalls to enforce the rules. apparently there used to be a marshall for almost every hole, and they'd keep things moving, but now... you see them around the clubhouse... #1, #9, #10, and #18... in between, it's the wild west.

I'm a hacker too.  Got out and played on Dec. 27th, after not having swung a club for 3 months, and shot 110.  Was shooting 95 or less pretty much all of last summer and then boom! 110.  Found a pull I've never had before and need it to go away.

With that said though, my buddies and I are quick hackers.  Meaning we are cognizant of our surroundings and try our best to hurry it up, let someone play through if need be, etc.  A lot of hackers are just completely oblivious to everything, take 75 practice swings, look for their balls forever, etc. and it just kills the game.

Nearly all the places I play, Charles Town -> Frederick, MD -> Front Royal areas, have no marshalls...and I'm not talking about little crappy 9 hole places either, but legit golf courses.  My uncle used to marshall at Locust Hill for free rounds of golf but even that dried up.  I think marshalls can help, but more importantly I think folks just need to be educated about the acceptable timeframe to look for a golf ball, to play ready golf, to make sure they bring the appropriate clubs with them, etc.  I see they talk about this stuff a lot on the golf channel but I can't quite recall ever seeing or hearing much from a golf course about this kind of stuff.  It doesn't have to be obnoxious, just a simple message from the starter prior to teeing off.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

To me..unless you are <15 handicap, people need to stop playing from the tips. That alone would speed up a lot of it..

yeah, that's another issue.

part of the problem is the "womens tees" reference... not to get all feminist about it, but it has created this idea that the box you play from is a direct challenge on your manhood.  so you get dopey dudes that want to hit from the back and they have no business back there because they probably shouldn't be using their driver to begin with...

Just now, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

A lot of hackers are just completely oblivious to everything, take 75 practice swings, look for their balls forever, etc. and it just kills the game.

That's also good.

5 minutes doing practice swings then they shank the shot  :ols:

if i take too many practice swings i screw it up.. it's like i only got 1 or 2 good swings in me when i approach the ball, can't burnt hem on practice swings. grip and rip

7 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

To me..unless you are <15 handicap, people need to stop playing from the tips. That alone would speed up a lot of it..

I do see this from time to time and can't help but laugh when I see a guy hit his driver 200 yards from the tips. 

But there are so many variables that slow up the golf course.  Legit golfers that gamble, eyeing every put relentlessly as if they are on tour.  Hackers that take 75 terrible practice swings.  Looking for lost golf balls.  Waiting for a group to clear in front when there is no way they can be reached.  Buying beers and flirting with the cart girl.  Golf courses squeezing every last dollar out of their course with tee times 8 minutes apart.

Sadly, I just named so many reasons why golf is annoying yet I've got the itch to go play like crazy.

• Like 3

this is why i like to tee off between 6 am and 7 am. half of my buddies tell me to go eff off when i ask them if they want to play then, the other half are with me. you just don't have those problems at that time of day.

towards the end of last season i made the mistake of going out there at like 1:30 on a saturday. at the turn i quit and went home. it was going to be a 5+ hour round, just don't have time for that nonsense.

40 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

Seriously!  I'm around a 16ish handicap but I am Mr. White Tee.  I play with a few friends who are closer to 10 hdcp and they like playing further back.  I know my limits and will play from whatever tees are like 5,600-6,000 yards, max.  I struggle when the par 4's are over 400 yards because I'm not long off the tee.  I don't need 200+ yard second shots because the game is hard enough as it is!  It's nice (for me) to be able to hit a 7 iron into a par 4 instead of going driver-3 wood and still coming up short.

5 minutes ago, tshile said:

this is why i like to tee off between 6 am and 7 am. half of my buddies tell me to go eff off when i ask them if they want to play then, the other half are with me. you just don't have those problems at that time of day.

towards the end of last season i made the mistake of going out there at like 1:30 on a saturday. at the turn i quit and went home. it was going to be a 5+ hour round, just don't have time for that nonsense.

My buddies and I like to walk when we can (clicgear posse!).  On the weekends, we'll try to get the earliest tee time possible.  It doesn't get much better on the golf course than teeing off with nobody in front of you.  The rounds are shorter, the temperature is cooler, AND when you're home by 10am, you have the whole day to do whatever you want.  If you tee off at 10am or later, that's like automatically a 5 hour round, and the whole day is shot.    

• Like 3

Love all the pet peeves brought up. This was a funny way my buddies and me took matters into our own hands. So was on a golf trip and we were playing two rounds at Shennandoah Valley Golf Course (I seem to have a couple good stories that took place there). So at any rate, one of the guys on my trip was in my foursome during our second round of the day in which we were playing a four man scramble against the other 28 guys on our trip. So I'm riding with a guy who was using a Skygolf GPS unit. This was before GPS apps were popular on phones. He was keeping track of the yardages he hit his clubs....during a scramble. Me and the other two guys in our foursome were just tired of Mr. GPS by the time we got to the 3rd hole. I told the other pair in my foursome to start moving his ball up a couple club lengths...like 20 yards a piece. Mr. GPS didn't have any clue what we were up to. Every time we'd hit a ball from our spot during the scramble, I would look for my ball first then go to his ball after it was moved up. Keep in mind after every shot he was tracking which club he hit, how far it went, and other stuff like whether a fairway or green was hit. We were two holes behind the group in front of us by the 7th hole. This also happened to be when he had an epiphany...."Man I'm crushing it today!" The rest of us just busted up laughing and told him what we were doing. We played the rest of the round with the Skygolf GPS in the bag. 

Thats funny. I have a skycaddie GPS and loved it, just got the watch actually. But takes 2 seconds to mark your ball.  Some people have to make a big production out of it. You pull it out, click once , check the length and then hit it.

2 minutes ago, tshile said:

Thats funny. I have a skycaddie GPS and loved it, just got the watch actually. But takes 2 seconds to mark your ball.  Some people have to make a big production out of it. You pull it out, click once , check the length and then hit it.

what do you mean?  you mark your ball with the tracer??

13 minutes ago, skinfan2k said:

what do you mean?  you mark your ball with the tracer??

Haha

They call it 'marking' it's a button you hit on the GPS device it just records the coordinates and says the ball was here. It syncs back to your profile and you can see where youre hitting the ball etc. 

I have the Garmin Approach S20.  Im not sure what all the other devices entail but with mine all I do is download the course at the 1st tee, it then asks if I want to keep my score and track clubs.  I don't track clubs but I do keep score.  At the end of the round, it uploads to the app and I can see how long my shots were and where they were hit from. I guess tracking the club hit on each shot would add a few seconds or so.  

Its actually a fun fun device for a hacker like myself as you can see the crazy lines from bad shots.

Just now, tshile said:

Haha

They call it 'marking' it's a button you hit on the GPS device it just records the coordinates and says the ball was here. It syncs back to your profile and you can see where youre hitting the ball etc. 

Are you serious?  I thought the sky caddies were only supposed to tell you distance?  Are you telling me i can mark it before my tee shot and then locate it after i hate it based on coordinates?

You can put nfc stickers in your clubs and your watch can learn them and automatically tell when you're swinging and what club. You don't even have to do anything anymore, you just turn the features on.

I just like looking at the stuff later.

You know what's funny about some GPS people? The cart ride between every shot is a comment about it.

"Look what this does..."

"Oh man I didn't even know it did that... (when you know they did)"

6 minutes ago, skinfan2k said:

Are you serious?  I thought the sky caddies were only supposed to tell you distance?  Are you telling me i can mark it before my tee shot and then locate it after i hate it based on coordinates?

You can't locate it based on coordinates. There's nothing on the ball.

You click mark, it stores the coords

You hit the ball

You go find ball

You hit mark,  it stores the coords, does the math and shows you how far you hit it.

Later you sync it to your profile and it overlays the path of the ball, with which clubs, etc.

It calculates gir, fir, scrambles,  up and downs, put average, handicap, etc.

Edited by tshile
  • Like 1