Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Golf

tshile

I use the Golf Logix app and just pay for the yearly service.  I don't track my clubs or anything but I use it to keep score and figure out distances.  I also use a bushnell tour v3 rangefinder to give me yardage to the stick.  I really only need like a 10 yard range estimate to figure out what club to hit.  I'm not exactly puring every shot out there, lol. 

7 minutes ago, CBass1724 said:

I use the Golf Logix app and just pay for the yearly service.  I don't track my clubs or anything but I use it to keep score and figure out distances.  I also use a bushnell tour v3 rangefinder to give me yardage to the stick.  I really only need like a 10 yard range estimate to figure out what club to hit.  I'm not exactly puring every shot out there, lol. 

I use Golf Logix too...have been thinking about a good rangefinder though. Problem is whenever I use one, there is a lot of shaking and wonder how accurate it is. I hear there are new ones with stability control.

@tshile you can just wait till a couple weeks or so before the days you're looking to play, and hit the GolfNow app. If you're flexible about the time you'd be playing, you can find "hot deals" and save big bucks. 

Sounds like you're looking for cheaper, more playable courses, so I'd recommend any of the Brown Golf courses (Crescent Pointe, Eagles Pointe, Island West, and Pinecrest). They're all off island, and a couple are a bit of a drive.

On island, you can try Shipyard, Oyster Reef, Dolphin Head, Palmetto Hall (I like the Cupp course), and the Port Royal courses. Also, Old South is just off island, and is a fave of mine, but a bit more difficult.

Again, if you've got the time, take the drive up to Parris Island Marine base and enjoy the Legends course there. Inexpensive, and well worth the drive.

Id also recommend staying away from The Golden Bear at Indigo Run, and HH Country Club. Not worth the money, IMO.

Edited by Long n Left
  • Like 1

Random: Watching Feherty now with Emmit Smith.  For whatever reason, I've always thought of him as bumbling idiot.  He seems like a pretty cool dude and well spoken in this format, and has a similar intro into golf as myself.  Making fun of it and thinking it's the dumbest game ever as a kid and teenager....now it's like crack.  

Where does Tiger finish at Torrey this weekend?  Better yet, does he finish?  

• Like 1

If you are a lefty...looks like this is a solid deal for intro Taylor Made Irons...

4-9, +Approach Wedge

http://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/taylormade-mens-speedblade-hl-iron-set?cm_mmc=affiliate-_-CJ-_-Slickdeals+LLC-_-na&PID=4485850&AFFILIATE=c

You can also get the matching Driver (12° though) for $49 here --> Driver @ NewEgg

Or add $10 more to get the 9.5°

Edited by The Evil Genius
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Random thoughts

Went to the golf show at dulles. Last year it was all shoes and clothes and trips and gadgets. I was looking for irons, only one guy had what I wanted. This year it was a ton of clubs, balls, gloves, bags, clothes, and travel. I was looking for shoes...

Still got a good deal on some ecco hybrids. Again, only one guy had them. But those shoes are so comfortable I could wear them to work every day...

---

Wast management tournament is, to me, easily the most fun tournament of the year. I'm sure there are plenty of people who are tired of the shtick or think it's over played, but I love it. I feel like if they had more of those they'd have an easier time growing the sport

---

Tiger withdrew from dubai. Sucks if you were hoping to see a dominant tiger showing in the near future. It just seems like his body is incapable of holding up well enough over any period of time to get to that level. 

I know people hate the accusation, but this is exactly what happens when you use performance enhancing drugs, your body breaks down at a quick pace way earlier than it should.

• Like 1

On 2/4/2017 at 10:27 PM, tshile said:

Wast management tournament is, to me, easily the most fun tournament of the year. I'm sure there are plenty of people who are tired of the shtick or think it's over played, but I love it. I feel like if they had more of those they'd have an easier time growing the sport

---

Tiger withdrew from dubai. Sucks if you were hoping to see a dominant tiger showing in the near future. It just seems like his body is incapable of holding up well enough over any period of time to get to that level. 

I know people hate the accusation, but this is exactly what happens when you use performance enhancing drugs, your body breaks down at a quick pace way earlier than it should.

Yeah the Scottsdale tournament is the most fun of the year! I enjoy it a lot. Wish it wasn't Super Bowl weekend every year though. At any rate, I thought Tiger would win again, but not be dominant. I'm having a hard time believing him when he says it isn't related to the surgeries, just because he's been so honest before haha.

As far as PEDs, not sure whether he did or not. I suspect he did. If it is all natural, the body just can't sustain that kind of muscle mass long term. 

• Like 1

He was training with Navy Seals. He was working out like a pro athlete (like an NFL guy)...in retrospect, I think almost everyone sees that as a mistake.

To me though..the single greatest mistake he made was butting heads with and leaving Butch Harmon. 

Edited by The Evil Genius
  • Like 1

I also went to the golf show at Dulles on Friday.  I went a few years ago on a Saturday morning and the place was packed with both visitors and vendors.  This year, there was plenty of unoccupied space towards the front and over near the pitching hole-in-one place.  There wasn't a whole lot I was impressed with and my tunnel vision failed me a few times as I met eyes with a few vendors that wanted to try and make me laugh with one-liners and sell me product. 

The best thing about the trip was the golfballnut.com setup where they had near-mint ProV1 and ProV1X's for $11.99/dozen or 2 for $20.  It was like digging for buried treasures as I put together 3 dozen very close to brand new looking balls after looking through about 200.  Guy charged me $30 even for the 3 dozen, which is a major score.  I won't feel as bad about seeing those take a trip to the far left wooded areas.  Also got a two packs of zero-friction tees from the same place for 5 bucks.

There were a few deals to be had on clubs, but given all the money we've been spending updating our house, I just couldn't pull the trigger.  I was very close to negotiating a 3H, 4H, 5-PW set of last years M2's brand new for a total of $500 but the salesman thought better of it.  He was giving me the whole "I want to sell everything I have so I don't have to pack it up and carry it out of here on Sunday" routine.  The best he would do is $650 so I moved on and he let me walk.  Shucks.

-----------------------

As for Tiger, its hard to tell if these are legit back spasms or if this is an easy way out from playing competitive golf when his game isn't up to par, literally.  I'm not even sure what is more embarrassing for him at this point - playing terribly or missing time for back issues.

Whether it was the brutal training regimen or PED's, its a damn shame.

-------------------------

Go figure, the weather is expected to be in the 50's and 60's in February and here I am saddled with year-end reviews to write and deliver prior to the 15th and can't afford to take a day off.  To all those with rollover PTO days and nothing to do this week but tee it up, I'm going to live through you.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Whether it was the brutal training regimen or PED's, its a damn shame.

They usually go hand in hand.

i use lostgoftballs.com for recycled balls. I used to go for the prov1s but now i just get something on clearance so long as i like them.

i think i got 3 dozen nike rzn platinum for like $6 each. until i can play regularly without losing a bunch of balls i'm sticking to recycled.

Edited by tshile

1 hour ago, tshile said:

until i can play regularly without losing a bunch of balls i'm sticking to recycled.

I've got 10-year-old Maxfli 4 X-outs, whole pocket bag full of 'em...They're the best, even if I have to dig through the whole bucket to find good ones.  (OK, I used to do that...I don't have the wooded area in this house that I had behind my own before I got married, so I can't really DRIVE here...but you guys are getting me close to getting a kiddie pool for chipping.)  :headbang:

Edited by skinsmarydu
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, tshile said:

i use lostgoftballs.com for recycled balls. I used to go for the prov1s but now i just get something on clearance so long as i like them.

i think i got 3 dozen nike rzn platinum for like $6 each. until i can play regularly without losing a bunch of balls i'm sticking to recycled.

I love the RZN platinum, flies and stops like a V1.  Right after Nike announced it was moving away from golf equipment, they had several dozen at the Nike outlet in Leesburg for around 10 bucks. 

• Like 2

On 1/24/2017 at 6:43 PM, The Evil Genius said:

If you are a lefty...looks like this is a solid deal for intro Taylor Made Irons...

4-9, +Approach Wedge

http://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/taylormade-mens-speedblade-hl-iron-set?cm_mmc=affiliate-_-CJ-_-Slickdeals+LLC-_-na&PID=4485850&AFFILIATE=c

You can also get the matching Driver (12° though) for $49 here --> Driver @ NewEgg

Or add $10 more to get the 9.5°

Question to you (or anyone) - can you just buy a left handed putter?  I golf (badly to be sure) right handed, but for some reason have always putted left handed. 

Any advice for a decent (but not too pricey) left handed putter?

Thanks in advance.

3 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

I used to root against him all the time, not because of him, but because of all the hype about him and the fact that pretty much 'everyone' was behind him.

Now, I wish I had spent more time admiring his greatness for what it was.  He won't go down as the best golfer ever (due to lack of 'longevity'), but there is no doubt that for a while, he was miles ahead of anyone else in the game. Sorry it had to go away due to an injury.

• 2 months later...

That's awesome! That is such a great course. Actually getting out tomorrow in York, PA for a Good Friday outing at Heritage Hills. Haven't played in like 2 months. I've got the itch!

Wish the better tour pros would head to Harbor Town. Wish that tournament could get the date for next weekend.