Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CSN - Kouandjio likely to start at left guard for Redskins on Sunday

HapHaszard

22 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

True.  But he was cut and nobody else signed him.  So, there's that....

Because he came into camp out of shape and performed poorly. I'm not necessarily advocating for Lerib to be signed, just that people seem to misremember his actual play on the field down the stretch last year because of a few botched snaps and penalties. He actually played pretty decent. Let's hope John Sullivan is better, though him being available off the street doesn't exactly inspire confidence. 

53 minutes ago, shakinaiken said:

Because he came into camp out of shape and performed poorly. I'm not necessarily advocating for Lerib to be signed, just that people seem to misremember his actual play on the field down the stretch last year because of a few botched snaps and penalties. He actually played pretty decent. Let's hope John Sullivan is better, though him being available off the street doesn't exactly inspire confidence. 

Was he out of shape again this year?  If that's the cas, he's hopeless.

I'm hoping Arie's regression this preseason was because they had him learning almost every spot on the Oline this offseason and he was just lost a little bit. But he definitely didn't play well. 

Preseason is preseason, though, and the coaches see him everyday in practice. I hope he plays to his potential, because the he's a big, tough dude.  

Just now, NickyJ said:

With the game under his belt, I'd say he did okay. Long too. Could the success in running have been related to Arie and Spencer starting today?

I was specifically paying attention to Kouandjio with my lame Walmart binoculars today, but I'm certain that Long at center played a big role in the improvement because that's what he did throughout the preseason. It was noticeable when he'd play at center, he was the only one there really moving people from that spot. 

Kouandjio did well today, but he wasn't necessarily impactful. I mean, he wasn't a difference maker at the spot, but he helped by not being a problem. I'm very pleased with how he played because I was concerned after watching him this preseason closely and being disappointed. 

Yeah, I was happy with his performance even if it was against a weak Cleveland defense. Kirk was kept clean except when he decided to settle down a marry the football and the interior run game was solid all game. I feel a lot better with him back there for depth purpose. 

1 hour ago, thesubmittedone said:

I was specifically paying attention to Kouandjio with my lame Walmart binoculars today, but I'm certain that Long at center played a big role in the improvement because that's what he did throughout the preseason. It was noticeable when he'd play at center, he was the only one there really moving people from that spot. 

Kouandjio did well today, but he wasn't necessarily impactful. I mean, he wasn't a difference maker at the spot, but he helped by not being a problem. I'm very pleased with how he played because I was concerned after watching him this preseason closely and being disappointed. 

Yeah, I think there are a couple keys with Long and Kuandjo in there. It seems like it's the first time in over a decade we had guys that weren't approaching 30 years of age starting inside. Obviously Scherff was around last year but for the most part it's been old/small/slow guys playing inside for us for a long time.

So 1) We now have young guys playing at both Guard spots and Center. 

2) All three young guys are big strong guys. If this is indeed the group going forward, and we have every reason to believe it will continue to be barring an injury, this is the biggest group we've had in a long time. Kuandjo, Long and Scherff are all listed between 323 and 325. That's the kind of beef we need up front that we've been lacking for a long time. We can all hope and pray that these guys all show out the rest of the year because if we are really lucky the O-line could be set up for years to come with a very young/talented group. If Trent becomes are oldest starting lineman, we are in really good shape for the future. 

We finally had a commitment to the run game today but a big part of that was also how effective it was. I believe that was directly tied to the guys we had out there too. 

1 hour ago, thesubmittedone said:

I wish we could say that about several on the defensive side...

6 minutes ago, thesubmittedone said:

Pretty cool? 

It's awesome, and what we've been asking for, for years, as fans! 

It's a big O line, too.

It's also gone relatively unnoticed on the board that Scherff is emerging as an excellent guard.  Cooley was going on about it recently.  PFF had him ranked last week as one of the top 5 O lineman in the league.  I know to some Scot blew it big by drafting him over Leonard Williams but considering Scherff's play so far this season -- I don't think that all that angst about the pick is justified.  

5 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

It's a big O line, too.

It's also gone relatively unnoticed on the board that Scherff is emerging as an excellent guard.  Cooley was going on about it recently.  PFF had him ranked last week as one of the top 5 O lineman in the league.  I know to some Scot blew it big by drafting him over Leonard Williams but considering Scherff's play so far this season -- I don't think that all that angst about the pick is justified.  

If Sherff continues to improve, and is an all pro guard for a decade, then it's a solid pick.  

I honestly think Scot knew he just had to pick the best OL available.  Leonard Williams would have been a solid pick too, but nobody knew Moses was going to mature, and they really had squat elsewhere on the line.  Picking both Sherff and Arie in the same draft, and now both are starting.... 

Thats not bad.

its why I think Scot really focused on the offense first.  He'll get to the D.  But it's gonna take some time.

and Arie playing well today, at least not being a problem, is huge.

Hope these guys continue to gel. 

Trent is locked up for 4 more. Scherf for 3. Arie for 2. Moses and Long for one more. 

If they keep growing well, hopefully we can get 3 year extensions on Moses and Long for a reasonable price. And just grow from there. 

I think when you are rebuilding it is not a bad idea to build to your strengths. If you have very little all over the field then look to where you have strengths - (in our case its the WRs and TEs - The line has been filled out - As that group mature together then it will reap rewards and IF we can run against the Ravens and keep up the balance then the offense will keep us in games - (an odd thing to be saying from where we were) 

This issue is going to be the defense - The approach on the D has been different from day 1 - We have had very little of impact there other than Kerrigan - We have tried to help out with Galette (ACLs) and Smith (invisible) - everyone else seems to be an over achiever or JAGs. The secondary should have been sure-d up but Breeland has taken a huge step back - ( i like the depth with Toiler and Dunbar but neither should be starting ) safeties are anything but safe and no one can appear to tackle . Then the unit has been ravaged with injuries and we have the ineffective Bates subbing in for the ineffective Smith to generate and ineffective pass rush on third downs in which we are ineffective .   

We will get there and I agree with the way we are going about it . Get good players in the first few rounds and then fit them into your roster . I would have loved to have seen Doctson play more of a role in the first quater of the season but hopefully he will have some game time as things progress .. 

Soooo.....at the end of the year we re-sign DeSean and roll out the exact same offense next year (minus Garcon and aging vets like Lauvao/Lichtensteiger) and use every single draft pick we have on defensive players, specifically the D-line? Lol I know, BPA but seriously this defense is abysmal on an epic scale. 

22 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

and now that jones isn't falling down from arm tackles and is steaming forward, instead of dancing, he's actually looking good as well.

How hard was that for you? Honestly, I feel bad. Must've been terrible. Like, did you puke all over your keyboard while you were typing this? 

troll-face-meme-400x250.jpg

Archived