Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CSN - Kouandjio likely to start at left guard for Redskins on Sunday

HapHaszard

33 minutes ago, thesubmittedone said:

How hard was that for you? Honestly, I feel bad. Must've been terrible. Like, did you puke all over your keyboard while you were typing this? 

Hey, I'll give credit when it's due. That hit from Robinson seemed to knock the timid out of him, because he's been better since then, but don't go breaking your arm patting yourself on the back yet brother. Let's see if the dancing teddy bear can last more than a game and a half, before he gets a boo boo. :D

I've always liked him as a receiver. I believe his fumbling issue is done. Let's see if he can pass block and stay on the field, then I'll give you credit.

54 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Hey, I'll give credit when it's due. That hit from Robinson seemed to knock the timid out of him, because he's been better since then, but don't go breaking your arm patting yourself on the back yet brother. Let's see if the dancing teddy bear can last more than a game and a half, before he gets a boo boo. :D

I've always liked him as a receiver. I believe his fumbling issue is done. Let's see if he can pass block and stay on the field, then I'll give you credit.

Jones is a good back, not elite but solid and solid is all you need these days. Arie played well, Schreff is a stud and Crowder is going to be a great No. 3 in the slot for a long time. GMSM has the offense in place. Just has to get a D started next. 

Just now, TheCoach22 said:

Jones is a good back, not elite but solid and solid is all you need these days. Arie played well, Schreff is a stud and Crowder is going to be a great No. 3 in the slot for a long time. GMSM has the offense in place. Just has to get a D started next. 

I think Jones floor and ceiling haven't been figured out yet. He needs to prove he can continue to break tackles and stay healthy and focused. If he can, I think he has the physical tools to be elite.

Or, he stops falling forward and gets too tall again, gets injured again and has fumbling issues again.

But yes, I want to see a major focus on defense next offseason, starting with a highly drafted stud at MLB. I'm sick of seeing a bucket of pudding in the middle of our D.

I love defense. I don't care what the offense does, as long as they run well and play powerful football, but watching our defense is painful. Seeing teams run at will, picking up 3rd down after third down and knowing we won't stop them and having to pray to 7 different gods for a fumble, since everyone just tries to strip the ball with lazy ass arm tackles, instead of knocking people the **** out.

On 10/2/2016 at 11:30 PM, Voice_of_Reason said:

If Sherff continues to improve, and is an all pro guard for a decade, then it's a solid pick.  

I honestly think Scot knew he just had to pick the best OL available.  Leonard Williams would have been a solid pick too, but nobody knew Moses was going to mature, and they really had squat elsewhere on the line.  Picking both Sherff and Arie in the same draft, and now both are starting.... 

Thats not bad.

its why I think Scot really focused on the offense first.  He'll get to the D.  But it's gonna take some time.

and Arie playing well today, at least not being a problem, is huge.

Yeah, I really think that Scot's first priority was to evaluate Gruden. In order to evaluate Gruden (an offensive guy), he needed to be able to evaluate the offense, and in particular Griffin/Cousins. But in order to evaluate Griffin/Cousins, he needed to give us a OL. We were about to stampede this place over how bad our OL and DL were and as bad as our DL currently is, I can completely understand making the fact that we have an offensive coach the tiebreaker (my opinion, not stated anywhere) in terms of drafting Sheriff over Gregory and Williams.

2 hours ago, Thinking Skins said:

Yeah, I really think that Scot's first priority was to evaluate Gruden. In order to evaluate Gruden (an offensive guy), he needed to be able to evaluate the offense, and in particular Griffin/Cousins. But in order to evaluate Griffin/Cousins, he needed to give us a OL. We were about to stampede this place over how bad our OL and DL were and as bad as our DL currently is, I can completely understand making the fact that we have an offensive coach the tiebreaker (my opinion, not stated anywhere) in terms of drafting Sheriff over Gregory and Williams.

I agree, though I'm not sure if it was to evaluate Gruden, as much as Griffin.  I still think Cousins, at least entering the 2015 off-season, was more of an afterthought.  You can tell by the fact that they picked up Griffin's option that somewhere in the building, they still had very high hopes for the guy.  And Scot needed to make damn sure that nobody (Griffin, Griffin's dad, Griffin's agent) could get into Dan and Bruce's ear and say, "Scot isn't giving Robert a fair shake.  He's being set up to fail.

Think about this for a second.  They went into the 2015 off-season with some solid pieces on offense: Trent, DJax, Garcon, Reed, Alfred. While fans have always thought him incapable, the coaches liked KL at center. There were HUGE questions about LG, RG, and RT.  Then, through the draft they added Sherff, Crowder and Jones, who all contributed their first year.  (Add Arie to the mix, and damn, that 2015 draft, offensively, really sparkles.)

Moses maturing from year 1 to year 2 gave them the RT, and Luavo played well at LG until he got hurt.  

All of a sudden, you eliminate any complaint of not surrounding your QB with enough talent to be productive.

The offense is pretty set for a little while.  They still need to continue to build depth, but they've got a lot of pieces.  And btw, it also allows Scot to determine how good Kirk actually is, and if they should pay the man like a top 5 QB in the off-season.  (I contend that if you put a top 5 QB on this offense (Rodgers, Brady, Rothlisburger, Rivers, Brees), they don't score less than 40 points a game, ever, the entire season, baring injury.) 

Now it's time to go after the defense.  They have a few pieces to build around, in Kerrigan, Smith, Gordon, (maybe) Breeland.  But I'm sure Scot knows that he's going to have to put a couple haul's together to rebuild the DL and the secondary.  

Meh, I don't see where the love is coming from.  The best thing that you can hear about an offensive lineman, unless he's Canton-bound, is nothing.  He had two penalties yesterday.

I'm very much someone who is not satisfied with an A when it could be an A+, so take that with a tablespoon of salt.  I'd give him a solid C+ for yesterday.  Better than expected but not good enough to win a Lombardi (which is my only measure).

6 minutes ago, NewCliche21 said:

Meh, I don't see where the love is coming from.  The best thing that you can hear about an offensive lineman, unless he's Canton-bound, is nothing.  He had two penalties yesterday.

I'm very much someone who is not satisfied with an A when it could be an A+, so take that with a tablespoon of salt.  I'd give him a solid C+ for yesterday.  Better than expected but not good enough to win a Lombardi (which is my only measure).

How good does your LG need to be to win a Lombardi?

1 hour ago, Califan007 said:

How good does your LG need to be to win a Lombardi?

Fair point, actually.

I just meant that until someone is a key player in a Super Bowl win, he/we still need to get better.  I think that we as a fanbase are conditioned to settle for "better" when we deserve "best."

3 hours ago, NewCliche21 said:

Watch Jones' TD run.  Schreff pushes his man 2 yards into the endzone.  Power blocking at its best.  On one of the holding calls, even the announcers said they could not see anything wrong with his blocking  - No Holding. 

10 minutes ago, ILikeBilly said:

Watch Jones' TD run.  Schreff pushes his man 2 yards into the endzone.  Power blocking at its best.  On one of the holding calls, even the announcers said they could not see anything wrong with his blocking  - No Holding. 

The upgrade from KL to Long was also instantly recognizable - there were a few times where Long simply manhandled his guy on running plays. There were at least two that I saw where his initial hit knocked the guy off balance and Long was then able to release to the 2nd level and pick up another guy while the back ran past the first guy (who was basically trying not to fall down). That's a great boon to our run game, and exactly what KL couldn't deliver.

Of course we need to see a few more games and some consistency before we can say our OL is solid, but at least we have good evidence that there is improvement now that we have a bigger and more effective body at C. 

30 minutes ago, MassSkinsFan said:

The upgrade from KL to Long was also instantly recognizable - there were a few times where Long simply manhandled his guy on running plays. There were at least two that I saw where his initial hit knocked the guy off balance and Long was then able to release to the 2nd level and pick up another guy while the back ran past the first guy (who was basically trying not to fall down). That's a great boon to our run game, and exactly what KL couldn't deliver.

Not to mention that many times, Long was going against someone who is no slouch in Shelton.

Shelton is a very good NT, and Long held his own.

Kudos to the line for good run/pass blocking play this past Sunday. :) 

9 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

I promise you, I don't want any credit. 

I just like to see you suffer. The squirming you must be doing while you type is a particularly pleasing thought. Mwa ha. :D 

:ols: 

2 hours ago, ILikeBilly said:

Actually, you're right.  I do remember that phantom holding call.  Even the Browns fan I was with thought it was BS.

Just now, thesubmittedone said:

I promise you, I don't want any credit. 

I just like to see you suffer. The squirming you must be doing while you type is a particularly pleasing thought. Mwa ha. :D 

:ols: 

You again. 

I believed, then lost faith. I still don't believe again yet. It's possible.

Let's keep the thread on track, shall we?

:angry::806:

Good read and breakdown on Arie and how he played Sunday. I noticed his wide hand position live - once officials see that they will be looking for it. He got away with a few holds Sunday.

Very much a work in progress.

http://www.hogshaven.com/2016/10/4/13161666/hog-study-arie-kouandjio?utm_campaign=deadeyedunkan&utm_content=chorus&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter

Curiously, on at least 2 plays, it seemed as if Trent didn't even attempt to block the oncoming DE/OLB coming from his side. I really don't remember such lack of awareness by TW in the past. Is it possible that he felt the need to assist Arie more on those plays?

3 minutes ago, bowhunter said:

Curiously, on at least 2 plays, it seemed as if Trent didn't even attempt to block the oncoming DE/OLB coming from his side. I really don't remember such lack of awareness by TW in the past. Is it possible that he felt the need to assist Arie more on those plays?

Yeah I noticed that but my take is it was a screw up on the protection call or just a brain fart from Trent. It was very strange.

The nice thing about getting over the hump with the offense, is now we don't need to be drafting freaking guards in the first round. We don't need a first round WR. We're in a position to use late round picks for the offense and develop those guys, like a good team would do. If a star falls to your pick, sure you draft him, but you don't need to.

It'll probably take two or three years for the defense to get there and hopefully while we're being defensive minded during our rebuild, we can add some late round talent to develop and take over.

That's the idea right? Seems like WR and CB are the only positions set for now and down the line.

Archived