Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CSN - Kouandjio likely to start at left guard for Redskins on Sunday

HapHaszard

http://www.csnmidatlantic.com/washington-redskins/kouandjio-likely-start-left-guard-redskins-sunday

The Redskins will be testing their depth on the offensive line over the next few weeks at least as both starting left guard Shawn Lauvao (ankle) and starting center Kory Lichtensteiger (calf) are dealing with injuries.

When both players went out early in the second half against the Giants the solution was to put Spencer Long in at center and, since the team only keeps one interior lineman active on game days, move Trent Williams from left tackle to left guard.

Long had put in plenty of practice time as the backup center but Williams had not lined up as guard during any kind of practice at any time. He managed to fake his way through the game and the Redskins scored enough points to win but that’s not something that the Redskins want to do except in a dire emergency. They want their Pro Bowl left tackle at the most important spot on the offensive line.

click on the link for more

5 minutes ago, Thinking Skins said:

Isn't Tuesday the day Scot normally brings in tryouts? I'm curious to see if we bring in another OL as a backup, or who we'll dress on Sunday. We know who the 6th man will be, but after that there are so many options. Kinda sad we lost Austin at C.

we pretty much have to because with Kory and Lauvao out we only have one backup OL and no backup C.

45 minutes ago, Lloyds' Mongolian Beef said:

I would expect us to re-sign LeRibeus.

17 minutes ago, Bonez3 said:

Ban him

we made the playoffs with him last year

What'll be interesting is what roster moves we make. Hall to IR is obvious and that creates one spot, but (and forgive me as I work the math out right now) we lose 3 guys from our active roster, then Fuller is active, Arie is active, so likely a new OL active as well. That means we'll have to carry more OL and less secondary.

Ok, it works out. I was thinking we'd have to drop somebody.

7 minutes ago, Thinking Skins said:

Isn't Tuesday the day Scot normally brings in tryouts? I'm curious to see if we bring in another OL as a backup, or who we'll dress on Sunday. We know who the 6th man will be, but after that there are so many options. Kinda sad we lost Austin at C.

I agree with most of what you say. I would expect them to bring at one or two guys in, unless thy have someone already in mind that they know - I really hope it's not Leribeus - However people keep lamenting Reiter. I liked him when we drafted him. But there is a reason he did not make the 53.

I like seeing Arie get some playing time. I like this line.

WOOT! Been wanting this since he was drafted. VERY solid player for the Tide. Big, tough ass mauling LG. Easily a third round talent. 

If people remember I was happy but with mixed emotions when we drafted him down to his multiple knee sugars and teams flagging him off their boards with the medical evals. 

But his talent and character was never in question. If he stays healthy, he has everything to nail the guard position down permanently along with Brandon for the next decade. 

Hail. 

His knee sugars may lead to...

I'd be a little weary as a GM to, diabetes is no joke

6 minutes ago, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

If people remember I was happy but with mixed emotions when we drafted him down to his multiple knee sugars and teams flagging him off their boards with the medical evals. 

EDIT:  Tried to insert Drooling Homer Gif to keep the 'knee sugars' bit rollin on, but quickly realized I'm computerly-challenged.

Excited for AK... I'm definitely way better at evaluating skill position players, but I saw some really great flashes from this guy last preseason.  Many ESers seem to think he's a bum/can't get the job done (and they may be right) but I'm beyond stoked to see what this dude has to offer!

56 minutes ago, Thinking Skins said:

What'll be interesting is what roster moves we make. Hall to IR is obvious and that creates one spot, but (and forgive me as I work the math out right now) we lose 3 guys from our active roster, then Fuller is active, Arie is active, so likely a new OL active as well. That means we'll have to carry more OL and less secondary.

Ok, it works out. I was thinking we'd have to drop somebody.

If Phillips can't play we might have to drop Lanier or Ioanddes for a DP.  If he can, I think we'll be fine without signing an extra DB because in addition to Fuller we also have Desahzor Everett who hasn't really played on defense yet this season

Just now, carex said:

If Phillips can't play we might have to drop Lanier or Ioanddes for a DP.  If he can, I think we'll be fine without signing an extra DB because in addition to Fuller we also have Desahzor Everett who hasn't really played on defense yet this season

I don't want to turn this into the roster thread, but I hope we don't drop those two (either of them). Both showed potential (Lanier in preseason and Ioa in college and at the Senior Bowl). If we have to cut somebody, I hope its Ioa instead of Lanier. I really want to see Lanier get more playing time but thats another thread altogether.

I don't like the declaration of week-to-week. of 3 guys. Doesn't the new IR rule allow us to put a guy on IR for 8 weeks, kinda like the DL in baseball? If so, I'd probably put one on IR (probably Lauvao since we have more depth there) if we need to pick somebody up.

8 minutes ago, Thinking Skins said:

I don't want to turn this into the roster thread, but I hope we don't drop those two (either of them). Both showed potential (Lanier in preseason and Ioa in college and at the Senior Bowl). If we have to cut somebody, I hope its Ioa instead of Lanier. I really want to see Lanier get more playing time but thats another thread altogether.

I don't like the declaration of week-to-week. of 3 guys. Doesn't the new IR rule allow us to put a guy on IR for 8 weeks, kinda like the DL in baseball? If so, I'd probably put one on IR (probably Lauvao since we have more depth there) if we need to pick somebody up.

yes we do, but the thing is even though we don't have to do the designated for return we can only active one play all season.  So if we put Lauvao on IR planning to bring him back even though he might only have a three week injury and someone else gets hurts and he'll definitely be out that long we either have to carry him or give up on getting Lauvao back

6 hours ago, carex said:

we made the playoffs with him last year

People conveniently forget this. Le Rib played a crucial position during our offensive explosion and run to the playoffs. He must have been doing something right at center in order for Kirk to rack up all of those yards and TD passes. 

6 hours ago, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

WOOT! Been wanting this since he was drafted. VERY solid player for the Tide. Big, tough ass mauling LG. Easily a third round talent. 

But his talent and character was never in question. If he stays healthy, he has everything to nail the guard position down permanently along with Brandon for the next decade. 

Hail. 

... if he plays well.

you never know until they go after it.  

13 minutes ago, shakinaiken said:

People conveniently forget this. Le Rib played a crucial position during our offensive explosion and run to the playoffs. He must have been doing something right at center in order for Kirk to rack up all of those yards and TD passes. 

True.  But he was cut and nobody else signed him.  So, there's that....

Archived