Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

s0crates

Nice win against the Giants today, but it was costly. DHall, Breeland, Kory, and Lauvao all left and didn't return, and a lot of guys who did finish the game have some bumps and bruises. 

With the injuries piling up, I figured we could use a thread about it.

Here's an early report:

http://dcprosportsreport.com/redskins-injury-update-after-giants-win-hall-likely-torn-acl/

The Washington Redskins defeated the New York Giants with a 29-27 win, a win that was desperately needed. But, in terms of health, it was a costly win.  Here is what we know right now. ‘

Based on finial testing, it appears CB/S DeAngelo Hall may have suffered a torn ACL.  If that is the case, then hall is likely done for the season, and possibly his career.  Hall isn’t young anymore, and after a few Achilles injuries this one may be it for Hall.  An MRI will confirm the extent of the injury tomorrow.

CB Bashed Breeland will have an MRI tomorrow as well.  Word on Breeland right now is a high ankle sprain.  High ankle sprains are difficult for football players and Breeland could miss substantial time as well.  He is expected to be replaced by Quinton Dunbar, who had an interception in relief of Breeland.  Breeland was reportedly on crutches after the game.

G Shawn Lauvao left the game early with an ankle injury.  C Kory Litchensteiger left  the game early with a calf injury.

Not good.

Hall - great leader and locker room guy, his play was only so/so. Losing him will be tough but I think the play may not drop off much after likely losing him for the year

Breeland - even though he has struggled, he's a stud and losing him for a few weeks will be really tough. We can't afford to lose someone like him even for a short while given how bad the D has been playing

Lauvao - Similar to Breeland but moreso because of lack of depth along the line. At least this year, there has been no stellar run game that losing Lauvao might negatively impact

Lich - Sucked before the injury - not likely to notice too much of a difference without him there.

According to this Hall doesn't think he tore his ACL:

http://m.richmond.com/redskins-xtra/article_318ea148-8372-11e6-ac2d-5705655ef107.html?mode=jqm

Safety DeAngelo Hall was told by doctors they believed he had torn an ACL, but Hall said he was still able to walk, and remained hopeful that a re-evaluation on Monday would bring better news.

Hall also suffered an injury during last year’s game in New York against the Giants.

“I don’t know what (an ACL tear) feels like, but I don’t imagine it feeling as good as I feel right now,” Hall said. “We’ll see.”

It will be interesting to see what happens with the offensive line this week. Here's a bit about Kory and Shawn and what we did without them:

http://www.csnmidatlantic.com/washington-redskins/injuries-lauvao-lichtensteiger-force-strange-shift-redskins-offensive-line

INJURIES TO LAUVAO, LICHTENSTEIGER FORCE STRANGE SHIFT ON REDSKINS OFFENSIVE LINE

5 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

FWIW, I know Kory gets a lot of crap in these parts,but in his film breakdowns, Cooley has said Kory had been possibly the best OL we had.  

Last year the same 2 guys went down and the running game ground to a halt.  

Yeah I think we will miss Kory and Shawn if they are out long. People gripe about the interior of the line more than is deserved, and two injuries on the line is a concern.

Speaking of which, isn't it an eerie coincidence that a few of the fans' favorite targets of blame this year got hurt? 

Anyway we're looking awfully thin in the secondary and on the offensive line now. Hopefully guys heal up and the next man up is ready.

19 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

FWIW, I know Kory gets a lot of crap in these parts,but in his film breakdowns, Cooley has said Kory had been possibly the best OL we had.  

Last year the same 2 guys went down and the running game ground to a halt.  

They're boys though, I think Cooley is very generous to the OL he played with.

My hope is Bree gets right physically and mentally... He is a mess right now so maybe this is a blessing with Clev and Bal on deck.

Loosing Hall AND Breeland is rough, not enough depth back there.  High ankle sprains can be a hindrance all season.  Combine that with loosing 2 O-linemen and we have problems.  Neither one of these guys are amazing individually, but this really impacts the O-Line as a unit. I wish I could let myself feel good about this win...

8 hours ago, abdcskins said:

Hope Breeland isn't out too long.  We are thin at CB.

Tolar, Phillips, Fuller and Norman will be fine.  We can always move Blackmon back over in a pinch if necessary.  I think for once, we have depth in the secondary.  Everett will now play and he was balling (yes, I know it was just preseason, but he was all over the place).

Blackmon came in for Hall and made an impact play, causing the forced fumble on Shane Vereen.  He seemed more solid in coverage as well, albeit a short sample size...looked good in preseason though.  I don't think Hall will be missed.  In fact, I think Blackmon will be an upgrade at the position.  

Losing Lauvao can hurt, because we lost Kory as well.  Interesting to see who the coaches play at RG and C.  

Breeland has been horrible, up there with Preston Smith as the most disappointing players on D.  As was the case for Hall, his replacement(Dunbar) came in and made a sick INT in the end zone.  We should be fine there as well.  

Come to think of it, would we even have won that game if Hall AND Breeland wouldn't have gotten hurt? I don't think we would have.  

5 minutes ago, pjfootballer said:

Hall will be put in IR.  With Breeland out for a while, I think we sign another CB over a safety, with none on the practice squad to bring up.  Roll with Duke, Bruton, Blackmon and Everett at safety. 

I don't know. I think cb is a position of strength. I think it's more likely we roll with Norman, Fuller, Toler, Phillips, and Dunbar with Blackmon as a cb/s. That's still a pretty good squad.

Hopefully, Breeland comes back mentally strong. He regressed this season. I wonder if he was trying too hard because his ego got hurt in the Norman signing.

Just now, Burgold said:

I don't know. I think cb is a position of strength. I think it's more likely we roll with Norman, Fuller, Toler, Phillips, and Dunbar with Blackmon as a cb/s. That's still a pretty good squad.

Hopefully, Breeland comes back mentally strong. He regressed this season. I wonder if he was trying too hard because his ego got hurt in the Norman signing.

You're right.  I knew I was missing a CB (Phillips).  Forgot we carried 6 CBs.  Maybe we'll look safety after all.

Archived