Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

s0crates

Not to be a dick but all of these except for Breeland scream addition by subtraction. If we have to figure out a way to make it work with Long at C and another G configuration, we will be better for it in the long run.

Hall wasn't good a safety anyway. Possible Karma for that Bills preseason hit?

What happened to Phillips? Is he going to be back in the lineup? Let's hope not. Activate Fuller and ride with Norman, Fuller, Dunbar and Toler. If you need a #5 CB, pull a fan out of the dream seats and suit them up. If they get hurt, maybe you consider going to Phillips, if the ball boy is busy.  

7 minutes ago, MassSkinsFan said:

Long, Ribs if we re-sign him, my cat Ernesto. Doesn't much matter. KL was terrible last year and didn't improve this season either. He should not be starting for us.

Yeah - I agree with you wholeheartedly and I realize I didn't properly frame it that way in my initial post.

Thanks for holding me accountable for clarifying!

2 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

Not to be a dick but all of these except for Breeland scream addition by subtraction. If we have to figure out a way to make it work with Long at C and another G configuration, we will be better for it in the long run.

Yeah, Breeland is the only one right now I'm losing sleep over.

Lauvao seemed kinda "eh" for me. I know we always point to his loss last year as being a key watershed moment for the downturn in our run game but he's been in there first three games this year and our run game still sucks, which makes me call into question how impactful his loss was at the end of the day.

5 hours ago, justice98 said:

Lavauo getting an ankle coming off an offseason of ankle surgeries cant be good.  It was probably only a matter of time before he came up gimpy.

I saw him in the locker room after the game.  Had a boot on but was smiling.  Didn't look like a guy who just got career-ending news, so that's good.

To add, the fact that we still won the game is a testament to GMSM.  No, we didn't shore up the starters, but our backups that he's found are starter-quality.  When they can come in and give you the same performance, let alone BETTER performance, you know that you're building the team the right way.

GMSM with the game ball there.

2 minutes ago, s0crates said:

Two injuries to starters in the secondary and two injuries to starters on the interior of the offensive line, and people are calling it "addition by subtraction"?

I think the point is that Hall and Breeland were replaced by a guy with a forced fumble and interception respectively while they weren't doing much before their injuries.  Not that I wanted them injured, but the next guys up made plays that weren't made with 23 and 26 on the field.

1 hour ago, s0crates said:

Two injuries to starters in the secondary and two injuries to starters on the interior of the offensive line, and people are calling it "addition by subtraction"?

KL is the OL whipping boy, why, I'm not entirely sure.  

TW came in and replaced Luavo. In fairness, TW is better than Luavo in everything on the football field.  

Breeland has been publically shamed the last 3 weeks. 

Hall has said it was partially his fault for the shaming. While I think Hall is a fan favorite, I think most fans believe that his best years are way behind him.

Long is not better than KL But it's somwhat close.  Trent IS better than Luavo, though not sure how long that replacement lasts.  

Breeland is the second best corner on the team. But the secondary looked passable with him and hall out.

Shrug.  It's not addition by subtraction.  But I'm not sure that there's a ton of subtraction either.  

20 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

KL is the OL whipping boy, why, I'm not entirely sure.  

It's because he's not able to perform well on around half the plays. OL obviously blow assignments from time to time, but I've watched KL last year and this year and seen that on many plays he's sent hurtling backwards into the forming pocket or directly into/onto Cousins. He's a bit better in the run game, but mostly on plays where there's no one lined up over him - he is great in the second level. It's just that he doesn't routinely move (in the run) or hold up (in pass pro) the fat boys lined up on DL.

The Doctson injury concerns me the most.  I have Achilles Tendonitis and have had it since I was a Marine (1988-1992) .  The problem is there really isn't a cure (other than a lot of stretching and maybe some cortisone shots).  When it flared up (after running), it was hard to walk, especially down stair cases.  I left the Corps in 92 and came into the Army in 2001 and again, the Achilles acted up, to a point where I was unable to run without extreme pain.  I am running again, just really cautious and doing a lot of stretching.  One of the biggest issues was how my body has adjusted, due to the pain, my stride actually changed, because of that, I now also have HUGE heel Spurs in both feet which can only be corrected with surgery.  

I am not a Dr so am not saying it can't be taken care of, just sharing my own experiences with it.  I guess it all depends on how much pain this kid can deal with.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/redskins/injuries-to-starting-center-and-guard-causing-redskins-to-do-quite-the-line-dance/2016/09/28/93fd3e2c-85aa-11e6-ac72-a29979381495_story.html

Injuries to starting center and guard causing Redskins to do quite the line dance

John Sullivan was drenched after his first practice with the Washington Redskins on Wednesday. The team was outside with torrential rain preparing for the Cleveland Browns because of a bad weather report Redskins Coach Jay Gruden received from football operations.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/football-insider/wp/2016/09/27/redskins-will-sign-center-john-sullivan-place-kory-lichtensteiger-on-injured-reserve/

Redskins sign center John Sullivan and place Kory Lichtensteiger on injured reserve

It’s the second straight season Lichtensteiger has been placed on injured reserve; He’s played eight regular-season gamesin that span. The 31-year-old suffered from a neck injury that affected the strength in his left shoulder in 2015 but returned off the short-term injured reserve list to play in Washington’s only playoff game.

Lichtensteiger is the fourth Redskins player to be placed on injured reserve this season. Pass rusher Junior Galette (Achilles’ tendon), defensive lineman Kedric Golston (hamstring) and safety DeAngelo Hall (knee) are also done for the year.

• 4 weeks later...

Tough loss today, but my biggest concern is the injuries. Norman, Williams, Scherff, and Breeland had to leave the game. We'll see what the injury report says, but it doesn't look good.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/football-insider/wp/2016/10/23/josh-norman-trent-williams-both-exit-with-injuries-in-redskins-loss/

Josh Norman, Trent Williams both exit with injuries in Redskins’ loss

DETROIT — The Washington Redskins lost two of their best players in a tough defeat at the hands of the Detroit Lions, 20-17, Sunday at Ford Field. Cornerback Josh Norman and left tackle Trent Williams both left the game with injuries in the second half.

First, it was Norman. He suffered a concussion in the third quarter on a 52-yard pass he allowed to Lions wide receiver Marvin Jones, his first of the game. Norman remained on the turf for a significant amount of time before slowly walking toward the locker room.

Then, it was Williams who went down on the second to last play of the game. He suffered a left knee sprain on Washington’s last-ditch attempt to tie the game. Williams needed assistance while walking off the field, and he had a significant limp in the locker room after the game. He said he was in pain, but he can’t tell how significant the injury will be. The Redskins will gain more clarity following an MRI on Monday.

http://www.csnmidatlantic.com/washington-redskins/redskins-will-watch-injuries-key-players-both-sides-ball

REDSKINS WILL WATCH INJURIES TO KEY PLAYERS ON BOTH SIDES OF THE BALL 

By Rich Tandler  October 23, 2016 7:25 PM

DETROIT—The Redskins not only have to deal with a tough loss to the Lions, they face the possibility of playing without two of their best players, one on each side of the ball.

2 hours ago, carex said:

I'm really concerned about Trent's oinjury, because the way he described it with his leg stuck in turf and swelling sounds like the description of a major problem

if it was an ACL, I think would have known by now. Those are usually diagnosed on the field. I think we can eliminate that. But if it's a bad sprain, we'd still be screwed.

All we can do is pray to whatever deity you choose.

42 minutes ago, SAli457180 said:

Any news about Norman, Trent ?  Is Norman in the concussion protocol?  

I heard on the postgame show that Norman left the arena wearing shades. Scott Jackson kinda made it seem like he was ok but I couldn't tell.

Over the years we have learned as Trent Williams goes, we go.  Honestly, I'm not to upset about the loss today, because I like what I saw from Cousins in the frenzy of the game's final stages.  

On the other hand, I believe (virtually from the moment he set foot in DC) that Trent is the best player on our team.  I have not seen us Win without him on the field.  I truly hope he can deal with the pain.  I'm not sure that we can Win without him.

Archived