Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rawstory: Dash cam video shows unarmed black man with hands in air before Tulsa police shoot him dead

No Excuses

21 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Is there 100 years of verifiable history of police departments targeted deaf people for harassment?  Does this nation have a history of enslaving deaf people or lynching deaf people when they exercise their rights as Americans?

The nation does have a history of mistreating the disabled.  I think focusing on one disability is unhelpful however, so let's expand that and consider the following: 

Almost half of the people who die at the hands of police have some kind of disability, according to a new report, as officers are often drawn into emergencies where urgent care may be more appropriate than lethal force. 

The report, published by the Ruderman Family Foundation, a disability organization, proposes that while police interactions with minorities draw increasing scrutiny, disability and health considerations are still neglected in media coverage and law enforcement policy. 

"Police have become the default responders to mental health calls," write the authors, historian David Perry and disability expert Lawrence Carter-Long, who analyzed incidents from 2013 to 2015. They propose that "people with psychiatric disabilities" are presumed to be "dangerous to themselves and others" in police interactions.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/half-people-killed-police-suffer-mental-disability-report-n538371

If police response to uncooperative behavior is to inflict pain or fire guns, should it really surprise anyone that the mentally ill or disabled are impacted disproportionately as well?  

6 minutes ago, Destino said:

The nation does have a history of mistreating the disabled.  I think focusing on one disability is unhelpful however, so let's expand that and consider the following: 

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/half-people-killed-police-suffer-mental-disability-report-n538371

If police response to uncooperative behavior is to inflict pain or fire guns, should it really surprise anyone that the mentally ill or disabled are impacted disproportionately as well?  

So, in the space of 30 minutes...blackness equates to deafness and deafness now equates to mental illness.  Again, the mental gymnastics are awe-inspiring to behold.

8 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

So, in the space of 30 minutes...blackness equates to deafness and deafness now equates to mental illness.  Again, the mental gymnastics are awe-inspiring to behold.

I believe he said disability, not mental illness.  And being deaf is a disability, I'm fairly certain that given the choice, most humans would elect to be able to hear.  Anyway, I was on your side, even joked at the obviously poor use of the Daily Wire, but you're losing me.

48 minutes ago, Forehead said:

The Daily Wire...that one is a neutral, completely objective reporting website, is it not?

does such a site actually exist? if so, I'm not sure ive found it.

I keep finding myself going to far right websites to find information that far left ones don't have and vice versa.

7 minutes ago, Forehead said:

I believe he said disability, not mental illness.  And being deaf is a disability, I'm fairly certain that given the choice, most humans would elect to be able to hear.  Anyway, I was on your side, even joked at the obviously poor use of the Daily Wire, but you're losing me.

Click the link.  It's an article about mental health and nothing more.

Just now, grego said:

does such a site actually exist? if so, I'm not sure ive found it.

I keep finding myself going to far right websites to find information that far right ones don't have and vice versa.

It doesn't. Objective journalism doesn't exist. Never has, never will, because journalists are people (even a person has to program these computers I hear about that are going to put me and my friends out of work).

I think someone you guys may recognize (especially you guys from D.C.) said it best.

"...I don't think there's such a thing as an objective story. Anybody who says 'I'm an objective reporter' isn't telling you the truth."

4 hours ago, USS Redskins said:

If I am a cop, dude isn't listening to commands or responding, moving towards car door, I put a bullet in his ass white or black. I am not letting him pull a weapon, don't care what anyone says, especially internet douches typing from the safety of their parents basements.

I for one am very glad you are not a cop.

I understand when people immediately post "I want to wait for more facts before I make a judgment on a police shooting incident."

I absolutely do not understand when people immediately post "I don't have any facts so I am going to make some up in order to preemptively justify a police shooting and/or try to change the subject to something I want to talk about like did you know that poor black people commit a lot of crimes and/or complain that the police don't get the respect I think they deserve and/or speculate about the character of the dead shooting victim even though I know nothing about them."

I don't understand that at all, but it happens EVERY DAMN TIME, not only here, but everywhere in society.    

12 hours ago, visionary said:

It's ridiculous and terrifying that cops can so easily shoot someone to death over a miscommunication, misunderstanding, or someone not hearing what they said and people will just accept that as normal or okay

Got a gun and a badge and my blood runs hot... Do what I say and you won't get shot

50 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Pointing out that there are more groups with a stake in the issue of police violence, does not erase or equate any groups.  Allies are generally welcomed, are they not?  More "and" and less "or" might be helpful.  

this is an interesting recent conversation between joe rogan, hannibal buress, and sam harris about police violence.

it mirrors a lot of the conversation here, I think, as far as the conversation becoming tense and emotional, leading to tense exchanges.

they cover videotaped incidents and whether or not its fair to question of they represent police shootings in general, shooting and crime statistics, personal experience, and a bunch of stuff.

Those with disabilities, mental or physical, are often victims of police brutality and it in no way minimizes or diminishes the struggle black men have endured. 

One of my sons has Down Syndrome, and I worry that when he gets older that he could be beaten like the DS 20 yr old in Florida was by the stupid officer who had no idea what Down Syndrome was. Or killed because he didn't comply fast enough. 

Im sorry police apologists, but the training our police officers are receiving is woefully inadequate. They are barely trained to deal with fully functional adults, even less with disabilities. When you add in that not many of our boys in blue have great educations, and often bring their own subjective biases to the workplace, it is no surprise to see people who don't look or act like them taken as threats and murdered. 

I thought it was "protect and serve" for everyone, not "protect and serve" the people who look/act like me and **** everybody else. 

32 minutes ago, Gamebreaker said:

Im sorry police apologists, but the training our police officers are receiving is woefully inadequate. They are barely trained to deal with fully functional adults, even less with disabilities.

After the shooting, Crutcher could be seen lying on the side of the road, blood pooling around his body, for nearly two minutes before anyone checked on him. When asked why police did not provide immediate assistance, MacKenzie said: "I don't know that we have protocol on how to render aid to people."

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/video-shows-tulsa-man-hands-police-shooting-42212743

I just want to bang my head against the wall. 

Archived