Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rawstory: Dash cam video shows unarmed black man with hands in air before Tulsa police shoot him dead

No Excuses

9 hours ago, Larry said:

10 hours ago, Larry said:

Sorry Larry, didn't mean to quote you.  New board software is weird.

I think that this "disobeying orders" can be explained as a instinct of fear.  When "fight or flight" kicks in, I believe that one may just want to get out of the situation.  If you're scared of the police, you probably just want to get to a safe place.

Just now, No Excuses said:

If I'm reading right, it seems that some people are ok with police executions if you disobey their orders. 

We are trying really hard to emulate third world countries, it's really quite amazing to watch. 

but you're forgetting, he looked like a "bad dude", thats makes it acceptable 

26 minutes ago, USS Redskins said:

If I am a cop, dude isn't listening to commands or responding, moving towards car door, I put a bullet in his ass white or black. I am not letting him pull a weapon, don't care what anyone says, especially internet douches typing from the safety of their parents basements.

"If I'm a cop"???

29 minutes ago, USS Redskins said:

If I am a cop, dude isn't listening to commands or responding, moving towards car door, I put a bullet in his ass white or black. I am not letting him pull a weapon, don't care what anyone says, especially internet douches typing from the safety of their parents basements.

Not that you're a cop but it's this attitude on the part of actual cops that argues strongly for gutting police unions as a first step in the reform process. In large part, they're responsible for covering up for cowards like this. So far, I have yet to hear a self-proclaimed conservative offer a response to why on earth the GOP seems to hate every other union, but police unions remain sacrosanct.

Honest question since I'm not a part of it, has there been any discussion in the black (or other minority) community about pushing more kids towards becoming police officers or other public servants when they get older, so as to diversify the force, have officers patrolling the communities they grew up in, etc?

http://www.governing.com/gov-data/safety-justice/police-department-officer-demographics-minority-representation.html

I have no idea if that is a biased website, I just picked the first Google hit I got, but it shows that the police force is 89% white as a whole, which is out of line with the demographics of the country, obviously.

7 minutes ago, Forehead said:

Honest question since I'm not a part of it, has there been any discussion in the black (or other minority) community about pushing more kids towards becoming police officers or other public servants when they get older, so as to diversify the force, have officers patrolling the communities they grew up in, etc?

http://www.governing.com/gov-data/safety-justice/police-department-officer-demographics-minority-representation.html

I have no idea if that is a biased website, I just picked the first Google hit I got, but it shows that the police force is 89% white as a whole, which is out of line with the demographics of the country, obviously.

There's an epidemic of single parent black house holds and multiple reports of inner-city schools not receiving the same level of education and development as other areas, so a push in any direction is like starting in a mud puddle.  Truthfully, there is a stigma towards dealing with cops (even the good ones you can't really trust, no matter how much you like them), but really, a lot of young blacks are thinking more about survival then their future.  I've read about some police forces trying hard to get minorities from their localities in there ranks, but the kids have to graduate first, and we're having trouble with that.

I keep reading and hearing reasons to justify these shootings based on officer protocol. What to do/not do in situations, people not obeying their commands, etc.

Is there something fundamentally broken with our police forces current policies that increases the likelihood of these situations? Is there something we can do to minimize this happening? Obviously in a perfect world people just need to comply with an officer's orders. This clearly is not happening. But I also don't believe that this should lead to them being shot on the spot.

What can be changed?

1 hour ago, USS Redskins said:

How do you know he didn't follow instructions? I swear you police brutality apologists always want to wait for the "facts", which is really just anything that supports your argument. Yet at the same time making up your own. 

By the way, the facts aren't going to be just what the police report because we've seen multiple times and even with this particular case that the police don't always tell the truth. 

Now the Chief has already said it was an unjust shooting. Yet you're still in here with these BS excuses. 

If I am a cop, dude isn't listening to commands or responding, moving towards car door, I put a bullet in his ass white or black because that is what I want to do. I am not letting him pull a weapon, don't care what anyone says, especially internet douches typing from the safety of their parents basements.

Let me help you out there.

55 minutes ago, Forehead said:

DC is experimenting with it

http://dcps.dc.gov/release/dc-public-schools-launches-public-safety-academy-anacostia-high-school-dc-metropolitan

I'm glad you're not a cop. 

1 hour ago, Springfield said:

I think that this "disobeying orders" can be explained as a instinct of fear.  When "fight or flight" kicks in, I believe that one may just want to get out of the situation.  If you're scared of the police, you probably just want to get to a safe place.

I've been trying to tell folks this for years.  Becoming confused when you're that scared is a real thing.  It happens to me.

I never directly disobeyed orders before, but I got so scared when cops have had guns pointed at me (yes, I've had police officers point guns at me more than once), that I got dizzy and kinda fogged out.  They had to repeat their orders for me to understand what they were saying.  I just kept thinking "this can't be happening" and I'm about to go to jail for something I didn't do.  I spaced out because i was so scared of them and what they might do to me.

But the people who criticize and say "well he should've have done this" have probably never had a gun pointed at them before.  We all react differently to stress, and some folks (myself included) kinda blank out when fearing for their lives.  Deer in headlights, scared and confused.

Says internet douche

Just stop shooting people. It's really not that hard. With all the **** that's been going on you would think they'd try to find a better way to handle this. 

And yes, I understand the police have one hell of a stressful job. I also understand that they can be killed at their job at any point while out on patrol. But please, shoot the bad guys who are doing something to deserve it. Doing something illegal shouldn't be an automatic death sentence. 

15 minutes ago, youngchew said:

Car breaks down in the middle of the road?  Die.

Point a gun at police officers?  Live.

This Tulsa shooting is absolutely the kind of "black male" fear that needs to be erased. But one thing I find very unhelpful or not thought provoking is pointing out a situation where a white suspect is not killed every time a black suspect is killed. The BLM twittersphere is full of these "dylan roof" or oregon militia comparisons and I find it to be cheap and useless discussion point. It just cheapens the discussion imo bc this issue is not a simple 1+1=2 equation. 

If I point out a situation where a black male who shot and murdered an officer was arrested without lethal force, does that mean racism doesnt exits? Of course not. It has no bearing on what happened in Tulsa. 

A man accused of shooting a Detroit police officer during a chase was charged with murderMonday after the officer's weekend death. http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/man-charged-murder-detroit-police-officer-dies-42198791

What if I point to a story of a non-compliant unarmed deaf white guy who was shot and killed by police? 

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/deaf-man-fatally-shot-n-afraid-police-article-1.2764759

There really isn't much I can say on this matter. I don't think many can say much, at least with any degree of eloquence.

So I'll use the words of someone much more articulate, insightful, and, dare I say it, prophetic than I'll ever hope to be: James Baldwin.

Here, then, is "A Report from Occupied Territory," published 50 years ago.

https://www.thenation.com/article/report-occupied-territory/

They (the police) are present to keep the Negro in his place and to protect white business interests, and they have no other function. They are, moreover—even in a country which makes the very grave error of equating ignorance with simplicity—quite stunningly ignorant; and, since they know that they are hated, they are always afraid. One cannot possibly arrive at a more surefire formula for cruelty.

This is why those pious calls to “respect the law,” always to be heard from prominent citizens each time the ghetto explodes, are so obscene. The law is meant to be my servant and not my master, still less my torturer and my murderer. To respect the law, in the context in which the American Negro finds himself, is simply to surrender his self-respect.

Though not in this particular text, this selection of Baldwin's is especially relevant.

The victim who is able to articulate the situation of the victim has ceased to be a victim: he or she has become a threat.

7 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Is there 100 years of verifiable history of police departments targeted deaf people for harassment?  Does this nation have a history of enslaving deaf people or lynching deaf people when they exercise their rights as Americans?

Thats kinda exactly my point. The fact that a deaf white guy was killed for non-compliance has nothing to do with what happened in Tulsa. The fact that dylan roof was taken alive has nothing to do with what happened in Tulsa. The fact that a black male who murdered an officer was taken alive in Detroit has nothing to do with what happened in Tulsa. The fact that  "the police officer is 18.5 times more likely to be killed by a black than a cop killing an unarmed black person." is not relevant to what was going through white lady Betty's head when she got subjectively and unreasonably scared of a black male when she pulled the trigger. 

Do you see the slippery slope that comparative analogy can lead to us? 

http://www.dailywire.com/news/7264/5-statistics-you-need-know-about-cops-killing-aaron-bandler#

10 minutes ago, Why am I Mr. Pink? said:

Thats kinda exactly my point. The fact that a deaf white guy was killed for non-compliance has nothing to do with what happened in Tulsa. The fact that dylan roof was taken alive has nothing to do with what happened in Tulsa. The fact that a black male who murdered an officer was taken alive in Detroit has nothing to do with what happened in Tulsa. The fact that  "the police officer is 18.5 times more likely to be killed by a black than a cop killing an unarmed black person." is not relevant to what was going through white lady Betty's head when she got subjectively and unreasonably scared of a black male when she pulled the trigger. 

Do you see the slippery slope that comparative analogy can lead to us? 

http://www.dailywire.com/news/7264/5-statistics-you-need-know-about-cops-killing-aaron-bandler#

What on earth are you blathering about?  I mean really...the mental gymnastics needed to avoid actually addressing the issue is staggering.  Show a tiny little bit of backbone and take a tiny little stand for life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.

17 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

What on earth are you blathering about?  I mean really...the mental gymnastics needed to avoid actually addressing the issue is staggering.  Show a tiny little bit of backbone and take a tiny little stand for life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.

It seems quite obvious what he's blathering about. I'm not sure what you aren't understanding?

2 minutes ago, Taylor703 said:

It seems quite obvious what he's blathering about. I'm not sure what you aren't understanding?

Heres a bunch of incidents that have no relation to this incident.  And that's why racism doesn't exist in the police department!  ...bull**** unsupported "statistics" from the Daily Wire...

Did I nail it?

4 minutes ago, Forehead said:

The Daily Wire...that one is a neutral, completely objective reporting website, is it not?

Super Trump lights up Times Square!

http://www.dailywire.com/news/9276/super-trump-lights-times-square-chase-stephens

Archived