Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rawstory: Dash cam video shows unarmed black man with hands in air before Tulsa police shoot him dead

No Excuses

1 hour ago, grego said:

I've said that one good thing that can come out of these protests is body cameras for the police. 

Good to see it working. 2 cops actually shot and killed a kid and have been arrested. 

http://www.wptv.com/news/national/officers-arrested-in-shooting-death-of-6-year-old-boy-in-louisiana

This is horrific.

Here's more about this story, including some of the body cam footage:

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/video-of-police-shooting-that-killed-6-year-old-autistic-louisiana-boy-released-jeremy-mardis/

1 hour ago, grego said:

I've said that one good thing that can come out of these protests is body cameras for the police. 

Good to see it working. 2 cops actually shot and killed a kid and have been arrested. 

http://www.wptv.com/news/national/officers-arrested-in-shooting-death-of-6-year-old-boy-in-louisiana

That really pissed me off. That boy was 6 year old. SMH. 

7 hours ago, s0crates said:

I don't see anything in the body cam footage that would contradict what she says.

Whether the police were justified or not, I cannot help being bothered by the sight of two grown men using that level of force on a child.

While I wouldn't agree that her version of events accurately represents what happened, I think there are two things here. One is, when it comes to these things, theres her perspective, the cops perspective and, thankfully now body cameras. 

I wouldn't have expected to see what I saw based on her story, much like Keith Scotts family's version of him sitting in his car reading a book, mixing his business. 

The other is, how do you detain a 15 year old kid who does not want to be detained? 

I'm an advocate for cams as well, it can only help. The issue I have with it is that it will just make the police adjust their behavior to get around them. We already see instances where the cams are not turned on, turned off at convenient times, etc., and conversations amongst them that show they are well aware of how and when to not be seen. Maybe add a tech upgrade, wherein the cameras roll whenever you leave the car, eliminate the whole "Oh I forgot to turn it on" aspect.

Lemme tell ya, I am for the most part a firm supporter of the police, they are an essential element of life today and my experience with them has been overwhelmingly positive, but at the same time I can see that is not always the case. They need to learn that bodycams are a resource that works for them, an impartial observer that backs up their version of events, and if anything a channel by which questionable officers can be eliminated from the force without anyone having to bear the burden of violating that Blue Wall of Silence code.

What do we hear all the time? "If you're not doing anything wrong you don't have anything to worry about"? Ought to start with them. As armed representatives of government at the forefront of interaction with the public, they are and should be held to a high standard. Repairing and rebuilding relations with communities will have to start at the top, like it or not. You have to set the example and earn the respect, period.

Here in New Castle County they are introducing bodycams, and it has been a topic of conversation. I, among a great many others, am looking forward to see how it will work out, as I said I am a proponent of them. I've taken the opportunity to ask several local LEOS about them and have gotten mixed reviews, they're already a tad edgy considering the climate these days and worry that it will make their jobs harder. Guess we'll have to wait n see.

https://implicit.harvard.edu/implicit/takeatest.html

A quick 10 minute test that will conclusively and 100% accurately tell you what you already know - what are your biases.

They ask you a couple questions (which you dont have to answer) after you finish the association test and I wish I had not answered those before I got my result.

It was interesting. I already knew I had a slight natural bias towards white people over black people so the test came out how I anticipated. But I was surprised how my subconscious quick-thinking brain really did have to pause and actively and consciously confirm when it came to "cross association". Im trying to be vague bc I dont want to taint anyone's subconsciousness before taking by letting your subconscious know what to expect before hand bc I think we all would like to think our subconscious is not bias (heres a hint, everyone's is imo, some stronger than others, some justified by actual experience, some not). 

You dont have to do the race bias test, they have ones for age, sex etc. 

13 minutes ago, Why am I Mr. Pink? said:

A quick 10 minute test that will conclusively and 100% accurately tell you what you already know - what are your biases.

Oh yeah?

your ability to click keys when looking at small black and white pictures, while doing it "as fast as you can", is 100% accurate about your biases based on how often you clicked the wrong key as they swap categories around?

awesome.

6 minutes ago, tshile said:

Oh yeah?

your ability to click keys when looking at small black and white pictures, while doing it "as fast as you can", is 100% accurate about your biases based on how often you clicked the wrong key as they swap categories around?

awesome.

That was a bit of dry humor .. which never plays well on the internet. I found it interesting, certainly not scientific but made me pause. 

44 minutes ago, tshile said:

Oh yeah?

awesome.

I didn't like the test. It weighs how quickly you associate "bad or black" vs "white or good" and then vice versa. Well I was faster matching the white/good ones than I was with the black/good ones. Know why? They put the black/good ones at the beginning of the test when I was still figuring out how to do it. By the end when I was matching white/good I was much quicker because I'd already done the thing five times.

10 minutes ago, skinsfan_1215 said:

I didn't like the test. It weighs how quickly you associate "bad or black" vs "white or good" and then vice versa. Well I was faster matching the white/good ones than I was with the black/good ones. Know why? They put the black/good ones at the beginning of the test when I was still figuring out how to do it. By the end when I was matching white/good I was much quicker because I'd already done the thing five times.

racist

32 minutes ago, skinsfan_1215 said:

I think that is the point of the test.

The images put out there are "white=good, "black-bad"

Thats the way I interpreted them doing that.

I don't think I agree with the test though.

4 minutes ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

I think that is the point of the test.

The images put out there are "white=good, "black-bad"

Thats the way I interpreted them doing that.

I don't think I agree with the test though.

The point of the test was to identify inherent biases. All it did though was demonstrate my ability to get better at a game the more I played it.

9 minutes ago, skinsfan_1215 said:

The point of the test was to identify inherent biases. All it did though was demonstrate my ability to get better at a game the more I played it.

I agree. But i did notice I had some initial hesitation associating good feelings with the black faces and im not so sure my initial hesitation was due to just not being familiar with the game yet. I cannot say that I would have still had some initial hesitation if the good feelings were associated with the white faces first. 

Word association is odd. Like reading "green" when it is written in red color font, etc. 

I am a big believer that our brain does so many things on a sub conscious automatic level (like breathing) that we dont know it and dont even know all the zillion minut factors our brain had already taken into account for the simplest of tasks like "what to order at mcdonalds". 

I think that is where race bias really lies in the average human being - white, black, male, female, etc ... we all have sub conscious prejudice biases in every little action or thought or decision we make.  I dont think it makes me racist. my brain has been conditioned to what I have seen, heard and experienced. i think any bias people have that comes from a person own past history is not racism. If a black girl was repeatedly raped by an african male when she was a child, she will grow up not trusting and feeling uncomfortable around african males. if a girl was repeatedly raped in a white vehicle, she will grow up never buying a white vehicle. 

"my condition has been conditioned". 

4 hours ago, Why am I Mr. Pink? said:

https://implicit.harvard.edu/implicit/takeatest.html

They ask you a couple questions (which you dont have to answer) after you finish the association test and I wish I had not answered those before I got my result.

It was interesting. I already knew I had a slight natural bias towards white people over black people so the test came out how I anticipated. But I was surprised how my subconscious quick-thinking brain really did have to pause and actively and consciously confirm when it came to "cross association". Im trying to be vague bc I dont want to taint anyone's subconsciousness before taking by letting your subconscious know what to expect before hand bc I think we all would like to think our subconscious is not bias (heres a hint, everyone's is imo, some stronger than others, some justified by actual experience, some not). 

You dont have to do the race bias test, they have ones for age, sex etc. 

I think we all know our preferences so my results didn't surprise me at all.   But I think it will surprise many of you.

"Your data suggest a moderate automatic preference for Dark Skinned People over Light Skinned People".

This probably needs it's own separate thread.

Archived