Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

"Why can't we have nice things?"

hail2skins

33 minutes ago, hail2skins said:

As far the fans who say "oh what do you expect when we've sucked for so long?"  Just stop it.  Last I checked, we won a division title last year.....yes, the division was weak, but we ended the regular season with four solid wins. If that doesn't motivate your STH fanbase to get off their backsides and go to an early season game against their biggest rival, I don't know what would. Yes, if we had come back and won the game, it would've been sweet to see their heads hung low. But even during the game, the "lets go Cowboys" chants that loudly dominated at least one side of the stadium was bad. Even allowing for the Cowboys fan national following, this was pathetic.

Let me repeat myself, maybe then you will understand the frustration:

2 hours ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

Hell even in our 3 playoff seasons every one required a miracle run at the end. Outside of the  7-1 start by Norm and a quick start by Zorn, which were both followed by complete collapses, this team seems to be 3-5 every year on Halloween.  Every stinking year, it's what they do.  And I am so done having our season taken from me so early every stinking year.

9 hours ago, NoCalMike said:

The Dak hype is absurd.  He should absolutely get credit for his composure and playing mistake free football for the most part, however the Cowboys have designed a very safe scheme for him to play within and it's largely because that O-line buys him a ton of time to throw the ball.  His down and distance to go is usually always on the favorable side by the time you get to 3rd down and the majority of his passes are of the 2-3 yard dumpoff variety.  Joe Barry was his biggest supporter today by refusing to bring a tighter press coverage in order to try and stop these dumpoff passes from going for tons of yards.  When they face a defense that is able to tackle Beasley and Witten here the catch the ball, and it forces Dak to have to push the ball downfield, we will see the hype train derail.  And this is nothing to downplay his eventual potential as a QB, he could very well turn out to be great.....just already over hearing how great he already is right now.

But, in their defense that's what they're supposed to do. Coach Garrett and staff had to "dumb down" the playbook when Romo went down because Prescott is still a rookie. Every team does that when they lose the starting QB in the way that they did. We didn't need to do it when Bob went down all those times to be replaced by Cousins, because they both came onto the roster at the same time and Bob never really seemed to have an advanced level understanding of the offense to begin with. But, I'm sure the Patriots did the same thing with Garappolo, and now that he's down too they're really going to simplify the offense for the next two weeks until Brady is off his suspension.

Hopefully the coaching staff can right the ship and take one from the Giants next Sunday in New York. If not, 0 - 3 is really going to suck.

9 hours ago, NoCalMike said:

The Dak hype is absurd.  He should absolutely get credit for his composure and playing mistake free football for the most part, however the Cowboys have designed a very safe scheme for him to play within and it's largely because that O-line buys him a ton of time to throw the ball.  His down and distance to go is usually always on the favorable side by the time you get to 3rd down and the majority of his passes are of the 2-3 yard dumpoff variety.  Joe Barry was his biggest supporter today by refusing to bring a tighter press coverage in order to try and stop these dumpoff passes from going for tons of yards.  When they face a defense that is able to tackle Beasley and Witten here the catch the ball, and it forces Dak to have to push the ball downfield, we will see the hype train derail.  And this is nothing to downplay his eventual potential as a QB, he could very well turn out to be great.....just already over hearing how great he already is right now.

If only this were true. He had more trouble on 3rd and short-medium than 3rd and long. Converted 3rd and 11 twice, 3rd and 9, and 3rd and 8, and 3rd and 4. Failed on 3rd and 5, 3rd and 4, 3rd and 7, and 3rd and 20 twice.

Screen Shot 2016-09-19 at 7.47.33 AM.png

I am with the OP and I have been a fan for over 40 years and saw the 3 SB wins. With that said, I have also seen the debacle that is the Washington Redskins as a team year after year. It amazes me how these players are so talented but also they act like they can't play together because they get their feelings hurt. So the culture needs to change otherwise this team will continue to lose 11 to 12 ball games every year instead of winning that many.

Bad Karma from the US Congress.  Whole city got that US Congress stank.

I don't want to be calling for major changes just yet, too knee jerk, but if it comes to that, we need a blue chip coach and coaching staff, as opposed to late round picks like Gruden and Zorn, or aging free agents like Shanny or Gibbs.  We need to snag a Harbaugh-esque guy (either one), someone who, if there was a "head coaches draft," would go in the top 10, not in the 2nd or 3rd round.

3 hours ago, hail2skins said:

As far the fans who say "oh what do you expect when we've sucked for so long?"  Just stop it.  Last I checked, we won a division title last year.....yes, the division was weak, but we ended the regular season with four solid wins. If that doesn't motivate your STH fanbase to get off their backsides and go to an early season game against their biggest rival, I don't know what would. Yes, if we had come back and won the game, it would've been sweet to see their heads hung low. But even during the game, the "lets go Cowboys" chants that loudly dominated at least one side of the stadium was bad. Even allowing for the Cowboys fan national following, this was pathetic.

True, but the last three times this team has won the division or made the playoffs, they've followed it up by finishing last in the division the next year.  Therefore, the fanbase is being optimistic if it thinks things will be different this time, because history tells us otherwise.  It's been 20+ years since this team has managed back-to-back playoff seasons.  I'm not holding my breath that they'll change that trend this year.  

13 hours ago, NoCalMike said:

Is this really your assessment of Dak Prescott?  Does this help your subconscious? Lol  So the biggest problem Dak will face moving forward is "a defense that's capable of tackling Cole Beasley and Jason Witten?"  You can't rack up 292 yards/9.7 per attempt without pushing the ball down the field.  The math doesn't support your argument.  The defense would adjust too easily.  It's more complex than that.  Truth is he led several long TD drives including money drives when needed without the aid of a short field.  He also converted several 3rd and long situations which also doesn't support your rant.  I do agree that he has a ways to but I don't think it's a stretch to say he's looked good to this point against two divisional opponents.  The Giants defense btw is in-fact showing they're capable of doing these things you speak of and he held his own against them as well.  NoCalMike... I couldn't resist this one..

14 minutes ago, NattyBo said:

Meanwhile the Eagles look to have their QB position solidified, recouped a first round pick and have undone a lot of the damage caused by Chip Kelly in just one offseason.

it just ain't fair...

Let's pump the brakes a bit. Quite possible that the Eagles have played the two worst teams in the NFL thus far. If they take care of the Steelers next week, I'll start paying attention. 

17 minutes ago, NattyBo said:

Meanwhile the Eagles look to have their QB position solidified, recouped a first round pick and have undone a lot of the damage caused by Chip Kelly in just one offseason.

it just ain't fair...

Eh, have to admit I haven't watched the game tonight, but did see the score. Looks like the Birds are heading to 2-0, but we've been there a few times in the Snyder era on the way to 5-11.  Pittsburgh rolls into the Linc next week.......we'll see what happens.

13 hours ago, NattyBo said:

it just ain't fair...

yea but they still have zero rings.  And don't forget what a lot of us were saying when Chip was first hire and he took the NFL by storm, remember?  I honestly think we are a DC and a couple of players on DL away from being scary. 

We have some nice things... just not wins. Wasn't sure how I was gonna feel about Norman, but I absolutely love this guy, favorite Skin by far right now:

“Those people don’t employ me,” Norman said. “The Washington Redskins do. If they want me to pick up trash, I’m gonna do that. You do not pay my salary and you don’t write my check. The Redskins do. ... I don’t care about nobody else and what they have to say. I’ll do what they ask me to do and if you don’t like it? Deuces.”

Archived