Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2017 Comprehensive NFL Draft Thread

Dukes and Skins

21 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

It's infuriating. We should be in the mix for Brown and Hankins right now and it's really not close. I wanted 3 impact defenders in FA, we got zero. And I still want the draft to be extremely defense heavy and not on the outsides. We need safeties,  not corners. DTs more than Ends and MLB not OLBs.

It is really your opinion that we got "zero impact defenders" in FA. I would argue otherwise. We upgraded at the DL and S positions on defense. And replaced two aging veteran receivers (that received ridiculous deals by the way) with an up and coming star. The only thing I have an issue with during this FA period is not doing something with Comptons spot. And maybe they plan on fixing that in the draft?

Foster seems to be creeping closer to #17 in mocks including Kiper's from yesterday.  Maybe there is a shot he actually falls that far.  Earlier in the process it didn't seem possible and again mocks could be off.   There seems to be some questions about him character wise and on X's and O's.  But reading through it, I'd take the chance if he falls to #17.

http://mmqb.si.com/nfl-draft-combine-reuben-foster-alabama-hospital-incident-draft-stock

Ask former Alabama linebacker Reuben Foster to get up from the interviewee’s seat and explain a blitz on the whiteboard, and you might be unimpressed. Ask him to explain what happened at the hospital in Indianapolis, and you might leave unsatisfied. Ask him about his support network of friends and family, and you might feel unsure.

But if you ask him about Ball, that stuff between the white lines, you just might fall in love.

“There’s that moment,” Foster says though a smile, “when you first hit somebody and you get chills. You hear the crowd say Ooooh. And before that, when you put on your suit and you transform...

...Teams had plenty of other questions for Foster and his coaches and associates: What was the story behind that triple shooting in April at an Auburn nightclub where Foster had been partying? What kind of impact will Foster’s family and friends have on his career once the checks start rolling in? And just how did Foster become the defensive signal caller at Alabama if he’s uncomfortable drawing plays on the board?

...He is considered a high-first round talent, one of the best linebackers to come out in years and the most highly regarded to emerge from Tuscaloosa during the Saban era. Yet, at least one NFL team with a selection in the top 15 had already removed Foster from consideration before the incident at the combine.

“He already had immaturity, issues with life skills. This is the same guy,” said an evaluator for the team after Foster was sent home from Indianapolis. “We’re not in the market.”

...The major concern with Foster for NFL teams, beyond the off-field questions, is his ability to absorb a playbook. Foster has struggled in interviews with teams who ask him to draw concepts with X’s and O’s. “I’ve been working to get better,” Foster says. “Other people learn different, other people have ADHD, or have a learning disorder. X’s and O’s on boards is hard to do for me. I second-guess myself.”

He performs best when watching film and learning on the field, Saban says. “If you put on the film he’ll be able to tell you chapter and verse because that’s how he learned it.”

3 hours ago, SkinsPassion4Life said:

He's not a luxury pick.   We need a RB and he is an every down stud.     

He is not an every down stud, an every down stud is Ezekiel Elliot. He is a great college player who will be a good nfl player, possibly great in the right system. Not great between the tackles or in pass pro.

I would rather draft a TE or Guard than Mcaffrey. 

4 hours ago, pray4surf said:r. 

..and leave CM's color out of it.  I'm not sure what him being white has to do with anything.  He's not an every down back, he's not a burner (4.48), he's a 3rd down back/slot receiver/returner.  He'll be a very good player on the right team like GB, SEA, NEP, PIT, NO.

For reference compare CM to Reggie Bush.  Players with similar offensive roles and almost identical ht/wt.  Bush scored 10 more TDs in college and ran a 4.33 at the combine.  That's why he was the second overall pick, not because he was black.     

I haven't watched CM but the way you describe him it sounds like a hybred H-Back...except not rb/te but rb/slot...a slot-back...wing-back?...I got it!!...SWing-Back!!...

4 minutes ago, Stefanskins said:

I haven't watched CM but the way you describe him it sounds like a hybred H-Back...except not rb/te but rb/slot...a slot-back...wing-back?...I got it!!...SWing-Back!!...

lol call him what you want, but a 3 down back he is not.  

3 hours ago, Reaper Skins said:

17: S JAMAL ADAMS

49: DL CALEB BRANTLEY

81: EDGE RYAN ANDERSON

114: WR COOPER KUPP

124: CB SIDNEY JONES

154: QB JEROD EVANS

201: DL STEVIE TU'IKOLOVATU

209: TE JONNU SMITH

220: LB BEN GEDEON

235: RB T.J. LOGAN

like the draft, but it's not too realistic through the first four rounds imo.

17: S JAMAL ADAMS                       (top 10)

49: DL CALEB BRANTLEY                (1st round)

81: EDGE RYAN ANDERSON           (2nd round)

114: WR COOPER KUPP                 (2nd round)

124: CB SIDNEY JONES                  (2nd to 3rd round)

3 hours ago, crabbypatty said:

like the draft, but it's not too realistic through the first four rounds imo.

17: S JAMAL ADAMS                       (top 10)

49: DL CALEB BRANTLEY                (1st round)

81: EDGE RYAN ANDERSON           (2nd round)

114: WR COOPER KUPP                 (2nd round)

124: CB SIDNEY JONES                  (2nd to 3rd round)

I agree it's unlikely.  Part of the reason I posted it was because it was such a great haul from Fan Speak.  Lots of CBS and QBS shot up the board.

On a different note.  Anyone think Gruden has interest in Peterman as a mid round prospect?  From what i read it seems like he's the most polished in terms of being able to run a pro system.  His physical upside might be limited, and he seems hesitant to improvise (robotic in his reads similar to how Kirk used to be), but if we're looking for someone to "plug in" and be able to run Gruden's system he seems like the one who could best handle it out of the gate.  A system QB that could help us move on from McCoy or help us tread water if we end up losing Kirk next year?

I just don't get people advocating picking a RB with our first pick.  Even if we reach (we can't trade back) I would still want to pick safety, LG, DL, ILB with that pick.  Heck if Robinson is there I would love to get him with the 17th pick and make our OL even that much better.

7 minutes ago, Reaper Skins said:

.... a system QB that could help us move on from McCoy or help us tread water if we end up losing Kirk next year?

I think the Skins are more interested in Patrick Towles (grandson of HOF pitcher Jim Bunning).

Towles is 6'5" 250 and runs like a deer (surprising athleticism for such a big guy).  Plays well under center and has a canon arm.  Check out his BC tapes.

Somewhat raw ... but I like him as a developmental pick in the 6th or later.

5 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Foster seems to be creeping closer to #17 in mocks including Kiper's from yesterday.  Maybe there is a shot he actually falls that far.  Earlier in the process it didn't seem possible and again mocks could be off.   There seems to be some questions about him character wise and on X's and O's.  But reading through it, I'd take the chance if he falls to #17.

http://mmqb.si.com/nfl-draft-combine-reuben-foster-alabama-hospital-incident-draft-stock

Ask former Alabama linebacker Reuben Foster to get up from the interviewee’s seat and explain a blitz on the whiteboard, and you might be unimpressed. Ask him to explain what happened at the hospital in Indianapolis, and you might leave unsatisfied. Ask him about his support network of friends and family, and you might feel unsure.

But if you ask him about Ball, that stuff between the white lines, you just might fall in love.

“There’s that moment,” Foster says though a smile, “when you first hit somebody and you get chills. You hear the crowd say Ooooh. And before that, when you put on your suit and you transform...

...Teams had plenty of other questions for Foster and his coaches and associates: What was the story behind that triple shooting in April at an Auburn nightclub where Foster had been partying? What kind of impact will Foster’s family and friends have on his career once the checks start rolling in? And just how did Foster become the defensive signal caller at Alabama if he’s uncomfortable drawing plays on the board?

...He is considered a high-first round talent, one of the best linebackers to come out in years and the most highly regarded to emerge from Tuscaloosa during the Saban era. Yet, at least one NFL team with a selection in the top 15 had already removed Foster from consideration before the incident at the combine.

“He already had immaturity, issues with life skills. This is the same guy,” said an evaluator for the team after Foster was sent home from Indianapolis. “We’re not in the market.”

...The major concern with Foster for NFL teams, beyond the off-field questions, is his ability to absorb a playbook. Foster has struggled in interviews with teams who ask him to draw concepts with X’s and O’s. “I’ve been working to get better,” Foster says. “Other people learn different, other people have ADHD, or have a learning disorder. X’s and O’s on boards is hard to do for me. I second-guess myself.”

He performs best when watching film and learning on the field, Saban says. “If you put on the film he’ll be able to tell you chapter and verse because that’s how he learned it.”

I like Foster a lot but this is a little concerning considering how complex NFL defenses can be.

18 minutes ago, Gregpeck99 said:

I think the Skins are more interested in Patrick Towles (grandson of HOF pitcher Jim Bunning).

Towles is 6'5" 250 and runs like a deer (surprising athleticism for such a big guy).  Plays well under center and has a canon arm.  Check out his BC tapes.

Somewhat raw ... but I like him as a developmental pick in the 6th or later.

I think there has been some talk of this already, so you might be on to something.

3 minutes ago, mistertim said:

I like Foster a lot but this is a little concerning considering how complex NFL defenses can be.

Yes, it is. Especially when you consider how Manusky has stressed everyone being on the same page already.

54 minutes ago, mistertim said:

is a lil' concerning....but, "Complex Defenses" are overblown in my opinion...I'll steal one from GMSM, "Football Players" or instinctual/athletic players can more than make up for any perceived lacking in "IQ"...see Dexter Manley or any Wonderlic Test... See Randy Moss and Ray Lewis....even our very own newbie Terrel Pryor (what was he hung over...sheesh...lol)...if Foster falls to us? It'd be mana from Heaven...HTTR!!!

1 hour ago, TheGreek1973 said:

I just don't get people advocating picking a RB with our first pick.  Even if we reach (we can't trade back) I would still want to pick safety, LG, DL, ILB with that pick.  Heck if Robinson is there I would love to get him with the 17th pick and make our OL even that much better.

or Robinson!

19 minutes ago, Stefanskins said:

is a lil' concerning....but, "Complex Defenses" are overblown in my opinion...I'll steal one from GMSM, "Football Players" or instinctual/athletic players can more than make up for any perceived lacking in "IQ"...see Dexter Manley or any Wonderlic Test... See Randy Moss and Ray Lewis....even our very own newbie Terrel Pryor (what was he hung over...sheesh...lol)...if Foster falls to us? It'd be mana from Heaven...HTTR!!!

or Robinson!

I guess it partially depends on what kind of defense Manusky will run....will he let players be more instinctual or will he be very assignment focused? If it is the former I can see Foster excelling. If it is the latter I could see it being a bit problematic for him. And yeah you do sorta have a point about Manley...but that was also a different time and he wasn't really asked to do much other than just play with his instincts.

I like Jerod Evans, QB, Virginia Tech as a late round pick.  His lack of experience at the college level will make him easy to stash on the practice squad.  But, the junior completed 64 percent of his passes in 2016 for 3,552 yards with 29 touchdowns and eight touchdowns. He also ran for 12 touchdowns.  Kid is a big time project, but if we take him, it has to be with the idea that he 100% goes to the practice squad.  If available in the 6th and we have not addressed QB, this is my pick.  In the 5th, I am not so sure.

2 hours ago, TheGreek1973 said:

Even if we reach (we can't trade back)...

Why exactly can't we trade back?

IMO, this is a perfect draft to trade back in. I've been saying for a while that unless its a sure-fire blue-chip talent that falls to us at #17 like OJ Howard, Fournette, Solomon Thomas, Jonathan Allen, etc we should be trying everything we can to trade down. 

Not only would a ton of prospects that are 2nd/3rd rounders this year be 1st/2nd rounders in other draft classes, the position groups in which this class is deep at matches up perfectly with the Redskins team-needs. That is a recipe for a trade down if I've ever seen one.

I'd love a trade down that allowed us to get all or most of the following:

1) Jordan Willis or Trey Hendrickson later if Willis is gone (insurance for Gallette and Murphys suspension) 

2) A top 3-4 DE prospect like Wormley, Kpassgnon, Ogunjobi, or Montravius Adams

3) An offensive weapon for Gruden be it a running back that falls like Joe Mixon, or a receiver like Chris Godwin, JuJu, Josh Reynolds, or Zay Jones

4) Either an outside corner that falls like Moreau, Quincy Wilson, Sidney Jones or alternatively my favorite slot/nickel corner Damontae Kazee 

5) an ILB like Jarrad Davis, Raekwon, Tyus Bowser, or Anthony Walker

6) Either Elijah Qualls earlier in the draft or DJ Jones later on in the draft to finally give us a true nose tackle

7) Another later-round 5-technique to go with one from the first group like a Daeshon Hall, Tanzel Smart, Eddie Vanderdoes, Charles Walker, or Deatrich Wise

8) and lastly a developmental FS (maybe Chuck Clark? Or someone else with ties to our new DB coach)

Thats the majority of my wish list but I also wouldn't be upset if a developmental OG/C was thrown in there either.

1 hour ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

If i had posted that you would have told me not to believe everything I read :nono:

I guess I'll have to live that down ... but I did some homework by looking at Pat's tapes of several games last year ... came away very impressed.

Suggest you do the same. This guy is a sleeper deluxe IMO.

2 hours ago, DC Lumber Co. said:

8) and lastly a developmental FS (maybe Chuck Clark? Or someone else with ties to our new DB coach)

Guy I like to fit this bill is Jadar Johnson, Clemson safety.

Excellent size, great athletic ability. Sat behind Kearse and others till this year, but still got on the field enough to grab a couple ints each of the past couple years. Went out and grabbed five this year as a starter.

Some sites have him listed as a SS, but I watch a lot of the Tigers, and I think he is a true FS. Superior ball skills. Was a big time basketball player in HS, and it shows with his ability to position his body, and high point catches. Good leaping ability.

Only real knocks on him are his lack of starts, and he's not a big time hitter or tackling machine. That's why he's a day 3 guy. Definitely a ball hawk though.

5 hours ago, Stefanskins said:

or Robinson!

No offense, but there is a big difference between DE in a 4-3 (Manley) and the QB of the Defense (Foster) . You need to have a guy not only get everyone into the right position, but also get you out of a bad call and into a good one. You have to know what EVERYONE is doing, not just what you need to do.

15 minutes ago, Morneblade said:

No offense, but there is a big difference between DE in a 4-3 (Manley) and the QB of the Defense (Foster) . You need to have a guy not only get everyone into the right position, but also get you out of a bad call and into a good one. You have to know what EVERYONE is doing, not just what you need to do.

No offense taken at all Morne :) ...I was about to say that in our postings (IQ variation/perception by position...i.e. kicker vs QB) and knowing your grasp on FBall and our Redskins I assumed it would be superfluous to you....and I'm lazy...also, that's why I decided to use Ray's Wonderlick Test score..he had like a13 or something...crazy low...but he anchored an incredible defense for a decade and a half...

Archived