Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2017 Comprehensive NFL Draft Thread

Dukes and Skins

12 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Crabby that's a nice looking draft there. Huge infusion of talent in the front 7. Can't see Thoma at 17 though. But our Brantley in there at 17 and I still love it

Yeah no way thomas drops out of the top 10. Subbing him with brantley would be good, however i think the rest of the guys in rounds 2 through 4 are all a round late. No way any of those guys are available at the rounds i took them in.

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

or someone else slips unexpectedly.  But yeah agree of not standing pat at #17 to take a D lineman.  I was just thinking if what I read is true that all it will take to land Sheldon Richardson is a 4th rounder then if they want to go with a bad boy volatile type at D line -- just trade for Richardson and skip McDowell. 

I've seen and thought about that too.  Giving up a 4th is not a big deal since we have 2 picks in that round but he'd need a new contract and will want a lot of money.  We have our own FA that are going to be coming up for new contracts soon so maybe the draft is a better options.  I don't know.  Just a thought.:)

9 hours ago, RWJ said:

I've seen and thought about that too.  Giving up a 4th is not a big deal since we have 2 picks in that round but he'd need a new contract and will want a lot of money.  We have our own FA that are going to be coming up for new contracts soon so maybe the draft is a better options.  I don't know.  Just a thought.:)

All good points but I am feeling super desperate on the D line.   IMO we have zero difference makers on it.   I am OK with both McClain and McGee as rotational guys but I don't see how all of a sudden for the first time in their careers they evolve into world beaters.  you never know.  But I doubt it.

If the Giants for example resign Hankins IMO EVERY guy on their D line is significantly better than any D line player on our roster.   I want at least one guy that could impose some fear on the opposing QB.    

Like Kool Blue I suspect that they might be thinking Malik McDowell to the rescue.   And, while I agree the dude is talented, he seems to be a head case who could flame out. 

3 hours ago, MEANDWARF said:

Peppers seems to be a hot pick at #17 in mocks.  I don't see why we'd need another Su'a Cravens but some (like Bucky Brooks) are swearing that he can play free safety.  I saw his college coach, Harbaugh, backed him in that regard, too.   The guy has a lot of spunk to his personality and is an electric returner.  He wouldn't be my pick.  But I wonder if he's under consideration.  Supposedly Danny is fascinated with Mayock as a GM candidate, Mayock has Peppers ranked as his #1 safety.

59 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

All good points but I am feeling super desperate on the D line.   IMO we have zero difference makers on it.   I am OK with both McClain and McGee as rotational guys but I don't see how all of a sudden for the first time in their careers they evolve into world beaters.  you never know.  But I doubt it.

If the Giants for example resign Hankins IMO EVERY guy on their D line is significantly better than any D line player on our roster.   I want at least one guy that could impose some fear on the opposing QB.    

Like Kool Blue I suspect that they might be thinking Malik McDowell to the rescue.   And, while I agree the dude is talented, he seems to be a head case who could flame out. 

Hopefully, we don't draft him.  I've got to believe that Tomsula/Manusky have say in who they want in the draft.  I believe we end up taking 2 DL in the draft.  I'm guessing a NT and DE along with ILB and FS.  I believe those picks come no later than the 4th round.  I'm thinking ILB, DT/NT, FS, QB, DE.   Just a guess. 

29 minutes ago, Hail2theSkins24 said:

Who was it in here that had Reddick as a 7th round-UDFA player? It will be interesting tracking his rookie season whether on the Skins or elsewhere 

Don't know who did but they must be into basket weaving vs. the NFL. 

I'm glad I'm not one of the guys making the decision on who we should draft. I just got done watching some Dalvin Cook highlights and the dude reminds me of Tiki Barber (same fumbling issues too). Tiki was an underrated RB, who had some very good seasons late in his career. 

The world knows we need some defense, but if the guy we want isn't there we shouldn't force the issue and take defense. 

22 hours ago, RWJ said:

I think we should stay put and keep the mid rounders we currently have. I'd also try and acquire more personally. Having multiple picks in rounds 3-5 in this particular draft could prove to be immensely valuable to us especially on the defensive side. I see your side too and might agree with it if not for the Albert debacle. We need professionals out there. 

6 hours ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

I'm glad I'm not one of the guys making the decision on who we should draft. I just got done watching some Dalvin Cook highlights and the dude reminds me of Tiki Barber (same fumbling issues too). Tiki was an underrated RB, who had some very good seasons late in his career. 

The world knows we need some defense, but if the guy we want isn't there we shouldn't force the issue and take defense. 

I like Cook too but we can find good value in later rounds like Brian Hill, Donta Foreman and Alvin Kamara.  Heck I wouldn't even draft Leonard Fournette in the 1st.  This draft is D heavy and there is no reason we can't walk away with a stud playmaker.    

Guys like Zeke and Gurley are definite first rounders but any of the RBs listed below could have been a difference maker on the Redskins.  

David Johnson 3rd round

Le'Veon Bell 2nd round

Giovani Bernard 2nd round

Eddie Lacy 2nd round

Jeremy Hill 2nd round

Davante Freeman 4th round

Demarco Murray 3rd round

8 minutes ago, Chump Bailey said:

I think we should stay put and keep the mid rounders we currently have. I'd also try and acquire more personally. Having multiple picks in rounds 3-5 in this particular draft could prove to be immensely valuable to us especially on the defensive side. I see your side too and might agree with it if not for the Albert debacle. We need professionals out there. 

Agee.  I think one of our two fourths will be used to grab a NT. 

33 minutes ago, pray4surf said:

I like Cook too but we can find good value in later rounds like Brian Hill, Donta Foreman and Alvin Kamara.  Heck I wouldn't even draft Leonard Fournette in the 1st.  This draft is D heavy and there is no reason we can't walk away with a stud playmaker.    

Agree if mocks have any value on this:  Kamara probably goes in the late first to mid 2nd I'd guess.  Foreman maybe a little after that.  Hill on the other hand I'd guess 4th round maybe 5th.  Agree with the overall point which is plenty of fish in the sea at RB.

30 minutes ago, SkinsPassion4Life said:

Gut feeling.....Jonathan Allen falls to #9 and we trade 17 and 49 to get him....we were supposedly talking to the Bengals at the combine about trading up anyway.

I'm not a fan of trading up but I would love me some Jonathan Allen.  I don't think he makes it past the Jets though.   

I'm hoping all the quarterbacks are still on the board when we pick.  Maybe Houston would give up a second to leapfrog the next QB needy team like Denver.  Extra mid round picks would be great for G or C.  

Realistically I don't see CLE not using their 12th pick on a QB.     

2 hours ago, SkinsPassion4Life said:

Gut feeling.....Jonathan Allen falls to #9 and we trade 17 and 49 to get him....we were supposedly talking to the Bengals at the combine about trading up anyway.

I really freaking hope not. I'd be fine sliding back for more mid round picks. This is the draft to fix the defense top to bottom and the picks to do it. 

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Agree if mocks have any value on this:  Kamara probably goes in the late first to mid 2nd I'd guess.  Foreman maybe a little after that.  Hill on the other hand I'd guess 4th round maybe 5th.  Agree with the overall point which is plenty of fish in the sea at RB.

I think fat Rob is our horse. I don't think after seeing what they've said, they think RB is why we had trouble running. Sounds like a mix of exterior blocking and play calling. I'm assuming a late rounder to replace Jones.

7 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I really freaking hope not. I'd be fine sliding back for more mid round picks. This is the draft to fix the defense top to bottom and the picks to do it. 

I think fat Rob is our horse. I don't think after seeing what they've said, they think RB is why we had trouble running. Sounds like a mix of exterior blocking and play calling. I'm assuming a late rounder to replace Jones.

Agree.  We can plug a lot of holes on defense in this draft.  Trading back would be ideal and this is the draft to do it.    

2 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

I agree.  My thoughts from months ago haven't changed as for the first round.  I think they will have more of a need approach than typical.  Top target would be a D lineman or edge rusher.  The two dark horse positions would be corner and ILB. And I bet they double up on the same approach in the 2nd round.

Someone from the mix of:  McDowell, Brantley, McKinley (though his shoulder surgery could put them off), Reddick, Barnett, C. Harris, T. Charlton.

In the 2nd round:  Jarrad Davis, D. Tomlinson, Qualls, Jordan Willis, Chris Wormley, R. McMillan, C. Lawson maybe Tabor or Adoree Jackson or another touted corner if they drop this far. 

I like Fat Rob as well, but let's be real....he's not a #1 RB...doesn't have the speed...doesn't have great instincts....can't catch.

A dynamic RB helps your defense....

This draft is deep enough that you can draft McCaffrey and still greatly improve your defense in rounds 2-4.

There should be no excuse to not come away with 3 defensive players that are significant contributors next year.

2 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

Agreed. With as little as we did in FA, we have to go all in. :(

Agree about Fat Rob too. Although I'd like to flexiblity to draft one if he's BPA. But we really don't have that right now.

If the obsession on the D line is stopping the run, was just looking at PFF metrics on that (ignoring a few low snap, no names)

1. Larry Ogunjobi

2. Stevie Tu'ikoiovatu

3. Solomon Thomas

4. Jonathan Allen

5. Caleb Brantley

6. Malik McDowell

7. Charles Walker

if its pass rush they want (ignoring a few low snap, no names)

1. Vincent Taylor

2. Jonathan Allen

3. Ryan Glasgow

4. Malik Mcdowell

5. Caleb Brantley

6. Jaleel Johnson

7. Tanzel Smart

Purely looking at the nose, comparing Vanderdoes, Tomlinson, Qualls. Montravius Adams according to their metrics:

Run stuffing

1.  Adams

2. Tomlinson

3. Qualls

4. Vanderdoes (way behind the other three)

Pass rush

1. Qualls

2. Adams

3. Tomlinson

4. Vanderdoes (way behind the other three)

Long Arms

1. Tomlinson

2. Vanderdoes

3. Adams

4. Qualls (arms short perhaps for nose tackle)

They summarize them rank wise:

1. Vanderdoes (3rd best tackle in the draft -- guessing they are factoring other metrics)

2. Tomlinson (5th best tackle in the draft)

3. Qualls (7th best tackle in the draft

4. Adams (11th best tackle in the draft)

Just some pure Brantley versus McDowell size/athletic comparison

Brantley (they rank him as the 4th best tackle in the draft)

32 arm length

21 bench press

5.14 40 yard dash

1.78 10 yard split

27 vertical jump

McDowell (they rank him as the 2nd best tackle in the draft)

34.75 arm length

23 bench press

4.85 40 yard dash

1.69 10 yard split

28.5 vertical jump

1 hour ago, SkinsPassion4Life said:

I like Fat Rob as well, but let's be real....he's not a #1 RB...doesn't have the speed...doesn't have great instincts....can't catch.

This draft is deep enough that you can draft McCaffrey and still greatly improve your defense in rounds 2-4.

There should be no excuse to not come away with 3 defensive players that are significant contributors next year.

I think cook will be the only RB of the three still there and I'd rather go defense. Still players on offense tend to slide up on draft day, especially difference makers. I think we won't take a back before round 3 like usual, which I'm honestly fine with.

2 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I think cook will be the only RB of the three still there and I'd rather go defense. Still players on offense tend to slide up on draft day, especially difference makers. I think we won't take a back before round 3 like usual, which I'm honestly fine with.

I tend to agree that Cook will be the only one of the three RB's still there at 17....and I'm skeptical of Cook....durability, character and fumbling issues.

1 hour ago, SkinsPassion4Life said:

I disagree in part about Rob Kelley. He has good instincts (maybe very good) and very good vision. And I think he is a much better receiver than he showed last year. He had 46 catches one year with Tulane. A couple of those throws from Cousins were really bad, got dumped on him. I watched a few game films after we drafted him, he has good hands.

But, he does not have great speed, that is for sure. But I think he can be as much of a bellcow as Alfred Morris was, and Alfred didn't have much speed either. We also have Chris Thompson, who does have good speed, and I'd like to see Keith Marshall, who has almost untouchable speed, and is a bigger back.

Besides, I'm not sure you can spend a 1st round pick on what is essentially a luxury pick when you have as many issues as we do on defense, in a defensive draft.

Fat Rob is basically a much more physical Alf, with very good hands and also enjoys playing FB.

I can absolutely live with that.

We can take a flyer on a late rounder and if surpassed him, while playing teams, fantastic. 

It's a position I'm much more comfortable pushing down the road, than any on defense.

Archived