Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2017 Comprehensive NFL Draft Thread

Dukes and Skins

On 3/20/2017 at 2:12 PM, stevemcqueen1 said:

I think people have been heavily overrating Foster.  Undersized stack linebackers who don't make plays shouldn't be going in the first half of the first round.  Kuechly and Willis made plays.  Foster does not.  He doesn't have a single forced fumble or fumble recovery or interception in his college career.  He makes very few plays on the ball period.   It's a disadvantage you have to overcome with superior instincts and block shedding ability, which I don't see in Foster. 

Apparently by "Foster doesn't make plays" you're referring to interceptions and forcing fumbles.  Haven't looked up stats, but there are tons of devastating--I mean just brutal--open field, one-on-one tackles on his highlight reels.  From what I see Foster's incredibly instinctual--the angles he takes seem to often shock the ball carriers. 

On 3/20/2017 at 6:51 PM, Bonez3 said:

It's that unknown that worries me with Reddick. Like I said,I'll take the thumping Foster 8 days a week. I know what I'm getting there

I agree with this. He has amazing measurables. But measuarables dont win football games. Football players do. I wouldnt pass on Reddick in the second round. But me, personally, I dont have a first round grade on him. I would much rather have Cunningham in all honesty.  Of course I had a 4th round grade on Sua last year. So I miss on as many as the next guy.

1 hour ago, Peregrine said:

We absolutely have to go DLine in at least one of the first 2 rounds.  There is no way around it.  The other should really be on D also, either at safety, ILB, or also on the DLine.  From that point we can take BPA.  I think if we had picked up a top DLine in FA that would have given us more freedom, but I think theres no way we can take a RB or WR in round 1, and I think there is no way we will considering what Allen said about the Doctson pick(which I think hes dead wrong on).

I don't disagree with this approach but is there any D-Line player in the draft that fits our scheme that is NOT a reach?  Seems like LB,S, DE are plenty but no NT and that's what we are desperate for.  I can see the first pick being LB or S but after that I think it's BPA.  

3 hours ago, pray4surf said:

I don't disagree with this approach but is there any D-Line player in the draft that fits our scheme that is NOT a reach?  Seems like LB,S, DE are plenty but no NT and that's what we are desperate for.  I can see the first pick being LB or S but after that I think it's BPA.  

Well, Manusky already said we will get a NT in the draft, and Im not saying a NT is going to happen early, but at the very least DE needs to, and there are a few of those.

18 hours ago, pray4surf said:

I'm probably in the minority here but I would be ecstatic if we drafted Joe Mixon in the second.  Can't excuse or justify his past but if he's still on the board when we pick in the 2nd round, I don't see how you can pass on that talent.  

I wouldn't be surprised if he's picked late in the 1st round or early second, GB (29) or CLE (33). 

No team would be able to sell their first pick to the fans/media if he's had Mixon's past. No way he goes in first two rounds.

What do you guys think, do I need to start watching Mitch Trubisky? People suspect him going between 10 and 20's and see us as an option. 

I did watch his Stanford game. I like the spiral on the ball and he looks to be a solid fit for Jay (althought I think Jay his systeme is very friendly for every QB). Good movement skills. Not seen a lot of deep balls. His feet somethimes look a little to active in the pocket. The first INT in that game was ugly. Looked like corner covering the WR fell, Mitch thought BINGO...made throw and guy jumped the route. Second one was even worse. I do not see a lot of wauw plays. 

I don't see a reason to spend a high pick on him after watching that one game. I would consider him 2 or 3th round...but I would then like Patrick Mahomes better. Guy brings more i.m.o. higher upside and the guy is just more fun to watch. He reminds me a bit of a McNabb and Jay Cutler, guys with swagger, high fun for fans factor and some gun slinger mentality. 

41 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I think next year is the year for a QB.

Yeah there are a lot of QB's in the class that could be good but they will be under insane pressure. A couple will probally break under that pressure. 

But I would never not draft a player this year because next year might be better. 

1 hour ago, wilco_holland said:

Yeah there are a lot of QB's in the class that could be good but they will be under insane pressure. A couple will probally break under that pressure. 

But I would never not draft a player this year because next year might be better. 

Why would they be under anymore pressure than anyone else?

Shouldnt QBs be able to handle pressure?

Next year should have QBs in the second and third round, that would go top 15 in this draft, if what ive read is true.

2 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

Why would they be under anymore pressure than anyone else?

Shouldnt QBs be able to handle pressure?

Next year should have QBs in the second and third round, that would go top 15 in this draft, if what ive read is true.

Because people expect Sam Darnold and Josh Rosen to play lights out and be the top QB's. People already started 'suck for Sam'. So every move and throw they make will be closely followed. They are currently labeled as top 5 pick and people expect them to play like that.

A guy like Josh Allen plays at a smaller college (Wyoming) and is labled as potential great QB, who could have been a first rounder this year. He might feel extra pressure to prove himself because he comes from a smaller college...but what happens if his team plays from behind. Will he stay cool or feel forced to make plays win games, prove himself. Prove he is worth of a top pick. 

You might even have a guy like Mason Rudolph who thinks. I look to be a first round pick now, maybe I shouldn't make risky plays. Play safe, don't throw INT's that could hurt your stock. Little bit like what we have seen from Kirk doing at some point. 

Every guy in college who wants to make the NFL is under some kind of pressure. It's like a year long job interview for your first job. Only some of expectations of these QB's are insane and will bring extra pressure, more then other players have. They also have more to lose. If you want to be a NFL QB you need to be able to handle with that pressure, but not everybody works great under it. 

Going into the season as a projected first round pick does something with your brain and how you handle that will prove a lot if you have what it takes to make it in the NFL. 

Example: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/03/22/jim-mora-regrets-hyping-josh-rosens-draft-stock/

If we don't address DL again ... I'm hoping for Caleb Brantley at #17 or in a trade-down. I like the comps. on him and he'd be versatile. We need an impact DL, and I want BPA, but I'm starting to think we have to go DL-ILB-DL with 3 of our first 4 picks.

I know I'm still holding hope for Steven Daniels and Martrell Spaight to progress at ILB and for Matt Ionadis and Anthony Lanier to progress ... but at some point we need some studs.

5 hours ago, PartyPosse said:

No team would be able to sell their first pick to the fans/media if he's had Mixon's past. No way he goes in first two rounds.

First round is a stretch but in the second?  Since when have teams like OAK or DAL cared what fans/media say.  I'm not saying it will happen. Just don't be surprised if he's drafted before the third.  

IMO he's the second best RB in the draft.  Outside of the first round I don't think it makes a difference when he's drafted because that team will get **** anyway!

23 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

If we don't address DL again ... I'm hoping for Caleb Brantley at #17 or in a trade-down. I like the comps. on him and he'd be versatile. We need an impact DL, and I want BPA, but I'm starting to think we have to go DL-ILB-DL with 3 of our first 4 picks.

I'm all for this as long as the players fit our scheme.  I'm tired of seeing us shoehorn players that don't fit our scheme ever since we switched to a base 3-4.

I just have to say, I'm surprised we haven't made a play on any of the big-name DLs in FA. These "upside JAGs" are nice rotational pieces, but if we think we can get away with the DL as it currently exists seems too optimistic. Hankins seems like such a no-brainer to me. We have the cap space for it. Just seems mind-boggling. I expect(ed) us to draft 1-2 DL regardless of what happened in FA, but the lack of a stud on the DL makes me think we are forcing our hand to go DL early and not go BPA ... OR ... go BPA and still have a weak and deficient DL full of JAGS.

2 hours ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

Jets talking up Trubisky at #6

And so the games begin. No idea if that's true interest.

I think they are shopping the pick by stating their interest. They know they are going to be ass in 2017 and have a shot at Darnold next year.

During the 2011 draft, the Redskins had the #10 pick but traded it away so they could stockpile more picks. They ended up drafting Ryan Kerrigan at #16. Unfortunately JJ. Watt went number 11, whom they could have had at #10 if they stuck with best player available.

2012 we traded several picks to draft RG3, which was a bust, but fortunately at least for now, there was hindsight to draft Kirk Cousins.

Two years ago, lots of people wanted Landon Collins to solidify the safety position. We never got the chance to draft him and he might not have developed here but he had a great 2nd year with the Giants.

The draft is such a dynamic event.  You just never know how it's going to shape out and IMO, it truly is what keeps bad teams bad and good teams good.

*I'm going off memory, so my fault if this is wrong.

Just now, dyst said:

The draft is such a dynamic event.  You just never know how it's going to shape out and IMO, it truly is what keeps bad teams bad and good teams good.

And as I'm about to post a mock draft that I enjoyed doing, there's a 10% chance we actually draft more than 2 of the guys I have on here. It's just a pipe dream, and it's truly a dynamic event. And when a guy we all fall in love with pre-draft is there at our pick a round after we think he should go, we take a guy none of us have heard of at a position of total strength. Example ... watch someone like Caleb Brantley fall to our 2nd round pick, at an extreme position of need ... and have the team draft a TE ... I joke but ... it'll happen somewhere in the first few rounds. And now to the mock ...

I was offered 1.32 from New Orleans, along with 3.12 and 3.39 and 6.12 for 1.17 ... Hassan Reddick was available and would have been my pick at #17 but the haul was too tempting.

1.32: Jarrad Davis, ILB Florida

2.17: Caleb Brantley, DL Florida

3.12: Eddie Jackson, S Alabama

3.17: Cooper Kupp, WR Eastern Washington

3.39: Ethan Pocic, G/C LSU

4.7: Charles Walker, DL Oklahoma

4.17: Joe Mixon, RB Oklahoma

5.10: Joshua Dobbs, QB Tennessee

6.12: Bryan Cox, Jr. EDGE FSU

6.17: Deatrich Wise, EDGE/DL Arkansas

6.25: Aarion Penton, CB Missouri

7.2: Bryan Allen, CB Utah

7.17: Ben Boulware, ILB Clemson

Lot of needs filled there. I doubt Mixon is there in the 4th and if he is, that means we've passed in the 2nd and 3rd, which if we have him in the "draftable" category, would mean we would have taken him in the 3rd. Davis+Brantley+Jackson would be an amazing first 3 picks ... and still getting a potential future high quality starters at WR/RB/G/DL with picks 4-7 would be stellar.

Archived