Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2017 Comprehensive NFL Draft Thread

Dukes and Skins

5 hours ago, wilco_holland said:

I don't worry to much about getting a nose tackle. We just want a big body to start there on early downs because we will run more hybrid athletic tackle on passing downs. 

Last week I took a look at does kind of guys and you see that in last four years they in general get drafted between round 3 en 6. Biggest reason for that is that they are limited players. 

The problem with this is that when you don't have a NT, you don't get people into obvious passing situations because.....you can't stop the run. It's an issue we're had for years. Just throwing a fat guy in there, doesn't really help. The reasons I, and others want a great NT is so we CAN put our 3rd and long sub packages in, a lot. You don't have that option on 2nd and 4, or 3rd and 1. When you give up 4.5 yards a carry, you don't see 3rd and long that much.

21 minutes ago, Morneblade said:

The problem with this is that when you don't have a NT, you don't get people into obvious passing situations because.....you can't stop the run. It's an issue we're had for years. Just throwing a fat guy in there, doesn't really help. The reasons I, and others want a great NT is so we CAN put our 3rd and long sub packages in, a lot. You don't have that option on 2nd and 4, or 3rd and 1. When you give up 4.5 yards a carry, you don't see 3rd and long that much.

Single key component in a 34. Even this mish-mash hybrid version. 

Hail. 

1 hour ago, Morneblade said:

I don't disagree but I think you can get a solid one in rounds 3 to 6. Sure I want a great NT but I also want great ILB, Safety etc. Finding a guy who can play nose for three downs is difficult. Does are rare. Vanderdoes, Tomlinson, Qualls and Watkins would be fine run stopping NT i.m.o. Guys like Adams and Brantley would stuggle to much in run game. They are more gap shooting attacking guys. 

1 minute ago, wilco_holland said:

I don't disagree but I think you can get a solid one in rounds 3 to 6. Sure I want a great NT but I also want great ILB, Safety etc. Finding a guy who can play nose for three downs is difficult. Does are rare. Vanderdoes, Tomlinson, Qualls and Watkins would be fine run stopping NT i.m.o. Guys like Adams and Brantley would stuggle to much in run game. They are more gap shooting attacking guys. 

Maybe. See, here is my thinking on this. You can have great LB's but if you're DL is a mess, the entire back 8 suffers. It starts up front, and if you have a good line, everyone behind them looks better. The opposite is not the case. Average LB's look much better behind a good DL. Good LB's struggle behind a bad DL.

I also believe that NT is the single most important position in a 3-4 defense, period. And maybe the hardest position to find a good one. It's the main reason I want to move to a 4-3. So, while it's "ok" to have "ok" there, I think we need to do better. And yes, it's very hard to find good ones, especially ones that can pass rush.

I think there are a couple guys in the 3-4 rounds that MIGHT be ok. The all have issues thought, ones that don't make me feel all that good about them. And I don't thing any of them are 3 down guys.

Is there any tape out there of senior bowl practices? Would love to see Reddick, he was impressive at Temple but he's projected a different role at the next level. Wish I could see how the coaches utilized him throughout the week that gave some scouts/media guys to compare him to Ryan Shazier. I think it would be a great pick due to his potential and our need for a guy like that on our D, do we have the defensive coaching staff to get him up to speed and maximize his potential?

3 hours ago, joeken24 said:

In the 2017 NFL Draft, the Redskins select.....

REUBEN FOSTER....LINEBACKER.....ALABAMA

All he does is knock the snot out......Sean Taylorish.

I'm afraid he'll be gone by the time we pick

Stevie Tu'iklolavatu. Bit of a man crush developing.:wub:

OVERVIEW

Scouts consider Tu'iklolavatu (pronounced TOO-ee-koe-loe-VAH-too) of advanced age for a rookie, as the married man turns 26 years old in June. The Utah native began his college career as a redshirt at the University of Utah in 2009 before heading out for a two-year church mission in the Philippines. Tu'iklolavatu missed the 2013 season with a foot injury, and returned in 2014 in a reserve role (eight tackles in 12 games). Finally seeing more playing time in 2015, he tied for second in the FBS with four fumble recoveries, while making 28 tackles, six for loss, and two sacks from his interior position. Tu'iklolavatu decided that he would prefer to play at USC for his final collegiate season, and played well for Utah's Pac-12 South foe. He was a second-team all-conference pick after making 53 stops, two for loss. Tu'ikolovatu actually lived in his car near the USC campus last summer until he was cleared to receive housing benefits by the NCAA. His uncle, Sione Pouha, was an NFL defensive tackle for seven years with the Jets.

ANALYSIS

STRENGTHS

Possesses a jarring initial punch. Built low to the ground with ability to strike at upward angles. Gets his initial hand placement right and is able to win control at the point of attack. Not content to just eat space and lay on his block. Finds runners and looks to mirror to make plays. Looks to shuck quickly. Agile big man with ability to move down the line. Uses power to get late separation from blockers and make tackles against runners using his lane. Has experience eating double teams to keep his linebackers clean. Strong, wide base keeps him on his feet. Drain-clogger near the goal line.

WEAKNESSES

Portly frame with plenty of heft around the middle. Despite natural leverage, still allows centers under his pads when fatigued. Needs to stop allowing centers to hang around on blocks rather than overwhelming them. Should learn how to clean his frame and free himself by swatting blockers' hands away. Longer centers stifle his strengths. Can press pocket a little bit as rusher but not enough to matter in the pros. Likely limited to early down snaps only.

SOURCES TELL US

"I would take 'Big Stevie' in the fifth or sixth round over some of the name guys in the same conference who will probably get drafted earlier." -- West Coast scout for NFC team

NFL COMPARISON

Brandon Williams

BOTTOM LINE

Left Utah to earn more playing time at USC and it seemed to pay dividends. With a jarring punch that sets him up for success, he is able to get rid of blockers for quick wins and is a productive tackler once he's free.

-Lance Zierlein

4 hours ago, joeken24 said:

In the 2017 NFL Draft, the Redskins select.....

REUBEN FOSTER....LINEBACKER.....ALABAMA

All he does is knock the snot out......Sean Taylorish.

He looks to have amazing instinct, timing, vision, strength and a nose for the ball.  Play maker -- if he falls to 17 I don't see how they could pass him up but I don't think he will fall that low.

Paul Conner Retweeted 
NFL Draft Diamonds‏ @draftdiamonds Mar 14 

More
The Kansas City #Chiefs and Washington #Redskins have been very interested in DT Brynt Frazier from Virginia State

Paul Conner Retweeted 
NFL Draft Diamonds‏ @draftdiamonds 4h
4 hours ago

More
#Jaguars #Redskins #Broncos were all in attendance for Old Dominion pro day. Rashaad Coward is blowing scouts away folks

3 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Foster is Ray Lewis 2.0. Remember Lewis fell to the 20s too for whatever reason. If Foster is there at 17 you laugh straight to the bank and take him in a heartbeat.

I think the talk linking us with a trade up to #9 is to get this guy ahead of NO. 

Not or saying I want to trade up. But we do have a massive void at ILB right now.

I'd love for Foster to fall to us. If he doesn't I've become enamored with Haason Reddick. 

I love day 2 of this draft. Tons of guys I like in the 2-4 round range. I hope we get more picks there. One reason why I wouldn't mind trading a certain franchised player for picks in those round this year (and next but don't want to pull the thread down that route)

2 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

We need 3 starters on the Dline and we don't have one. Baker may not have been great, but he was at least a starter.

We also don't have starters at ILB or Safety.

It's gonna be bad again.

I'm going to try to be positive here. I think we have 1 starter in the DL. I hope McC can be as good in our 3-4 as he was in a 4-3. He he can do that, and not get hurt, I think he can be solid.

Now, let's say that Stephen Daniels comes back this year and looks like a run stuffing monster he was at BC. One ILB taken care of, and then we go 1st rounder on another one. Boom, much better.

We also picked up Swearninger....who if he plays more like he did last year with the Cards, and not...........everywhere else he's played, (Laron Landry without the PED's) we're better at FS. Also, if D Hall (don't laugh!) stays healthy (and doesn't blow out another achilles...I SAID DON'T LAUGH!!!) he might be the answer of a more coverage FS. With Cravens being moved to SS, we have a guy that can bring it in the box, and not just in sub packages!!!!!!!! Back end is better!

Ok! Now, we got a couple young guns that could step up and play DE for us.  We gotz Stacie (Stacy, Staecy, Ron?) McGee from daRaiderz!

JAG is his ceiling. But wait, there's more!

We have Cullen Jenki.......Oh, he's gone

Ricky Jea.......Oh, that's right.. Um... Oh!

Anthony ****ING Lanier! 6'6", close to 290, dis mofoe is gonna be EPIC! His mixtape gonna drop FIRE!!1

But, what about NT?

Kedrick is gone. Matt "The Greek", not big enough. But......

Wait. Look! Over there, from the doom and gloom of the Browns, BACK from being out of football!

The Amazing!

THE Incomparable!

Clifford the BIG RED D.....

****. It's Phil Taylor. **** it

CHAMPIONSHIP BABEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:silly:

Sorry, I tried.

6 hours ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

I think the talk linking us with a trade up to #9 is to get this guy ahead of NO. 

Not or saying I want to trade up. But we do have a massive void at ILB right now.

If Foster is gone when we draft at #17 get Ray Lewis 2.0B, Reddick. 

13 hours ago, Hail2theSkins24 said:

Is there any tape out there of senior bowl practices? Would love to see Reddick, he was impressive at Temple but he's projected a different role at the next level. Wish I could see how the coaches utilized him throughout the week that gave some scouts/media guys to compare him to Ryan Shazier. I think it would be a great pick due to his potential and our need for a guy like that on our D, do we have the defensive coaching staff to get him up to speed and maximize his potential?

Senior Bowl day three notes: Reddick & Melifonwu | Seahawks Draft Blog

Press Releases : News : Reese's Senior Bowl

There's some clips of #57's practices for you to have a go at mate. 

Hail. 

Archived