Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2017 Comprehensive NFL Draft Thread

Dukes and Skins

I understand why a lot of people want a stout nt.  But the fact is down and distance has nothing to do with our defensive packages. Offensive personnel dictates our packages, outside of obvious situations (3rd and 25 and they come out in 22 personnel we would still be in our nickel or dime look).  In the NFL today we are simply not seeing big personnel groupings, so we spend most of our time in nickel, negating the need for a great nt.  It's not that we don't need one, it's that their usefulness is diminished due to the shift in offensive personnel groupings. 

1 hour ago, SkinssRvA said:

I understand why a lot of people want a stout nt.  But the fact is down and distance has nothing to do with our defensive packages. Offensive personnel dictates our packages, outside of obvious situations (3rd and 25 and they come out in 22 personnel we would still be in our nickel or dime look).  In the NFL today we are simply not seeing big personnel groupings, so we spend most of our time in nickel, negating the need for a great nt.  It's not that we don't need one, it's that their usefulness is diminished due to the shift in offensive personnel groupings. 

Right. So wouldn't this be all the more reason to have a set 4 down lineman 2 LB 5 DB base rather than round hole square pegging all these DEs and OLBs into this 3-4 / not 3-4 madness we're doing right now?

Our personnel just seems all over the place. 

19 hours ago, RWJ said:

That's my boy!   I'm hoping we take him at #17, IF we don't trade down.

If I had to guess right now at #17 -- Reddick or Brantley.  Manusky in his interview with Cooley alluded to it being difficult to find interior pressure guys and at the same time he played up being all about pressure.  So I gather he's looking at the pressure coming primarily from the edges.  Reddick seems like a nice fit.  He could be the fast speed edge rusher on third down (that they don't have now unless Galette is healthy) or they play him at MLB (or interchange him from OLB to MLB) and if I recall Manusky's scheme likes to bring pass rush up the middle.

Run stopping defensive tackles, coupled with edge pressure = the Giants front.  Many who cover that team said their most important signing was D. Harrison last year and he was instrumental at turning around one of the worst run stopping defenses to becoming one of the best.  So I get the whole we don't need that big NT discussion that bad since the defense plays the nickel so much but I do think being able to stop the run in running downs (like first down) helps.  That goes double in a division where Dallas arguably used their running game to win the East last year.  What team gave Dallas the most trouble?  The Giants with their two massive defensive tackles.  The Giants edge rushers are good against the run, too.

2 hours ago, LLandryistheshiz said:

Right. So wouldn't this be all the more reason to have a set 4 down lineman 2 LB 5 DB base rather than round hole square pegging all these DEs and OLBs into this 3-4 / not 3-4 madness we're doing right now?

Our personnel just seems all over the place. 

Quite a bit of merit to this, and I've been saying this for some time.

I would like to add, that you can run hybrid defenses, but to make them effective you have to have really stellar athletes in several positions to make it work. Your OLB have to be able to put their hand down and still be effect both against the run and pass AND be able to drop in coverage. Very tall task. Also, you have to be able to have a guy that can play NT, but be athletic enough to move over to a 2 or 3 tech and be able to move laterally AND rush the passer. Another very tall order. Then you have issues with SAM/WILL backers in a 4-3 translating to a 3-4, and vice versa. You need to have guys that have some weight to them, but can move. It's a very tall order. And we really don't have the parts to do it. our LB's as a group are slow, and get exposed in space. On the DL, we don't have anyone that can play NT at all, we usually drop our OLB to ends in a 4-3, where they now lack size and are soft against the run. It's a bit of a mess.

13 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

Isn't Reddick more of a pass rusher? He's also a bit undersized only 6'1

Yeah. Reddick inst Foster or Cunningham IMO. I know everyone wants to make Cunningham an OLB. But I would stick him in Compton's spot and not blink for the 8-10 years.

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

If I had to guess right now at #17 -- Reddick or Brantley.  Manusky in his interview with Cooley alluded to it being difficult to find interior pressure guys and at the same time he played up being all about pressure.  So I gather he's looking at the pressure coming primarily from the edges.  Reddick seems like a nice fit.  He could be the fast speed edge rusher on third down (that they don't have now unless Galette is healthy) or they play him at MLB (or interchange him from OLB to MLB) and if I recall Manusky's scheme likes to bring pass rush up the middle.

Run stopping defensive tackles, coupled with edge pressure = the Giants front.  Many who cover that team said their most important signing was D. Harrison last year and he was instrumental at turning around one of the worst run stopping defenses to becoming one of the best.  So I get the whole we don't need that big NT discussion that bad since the defense plays the nickel so much but I do think being able to stop the run in running downs (like first down) helps.  That goes double in a division where Dallas arguably used their running game to win the East last year.  What team gave Dallas the most trouble?  The Giants with their two massive defensive tackles.  The Giants edge rushers are good against the run, too.

Love your post, SIP.  Always good, straight forward info.  I also would take Foster in a heartbeat IF he fell to #17 but between the two (Foster and Reddick) if they were both available at #17, I'd take Reddick.  Just a personal choice.  It's possibly, I say possible that Brantley falls to the 2nd round or if we trade down we take him in the later part of Round 1.  The guy I like and think he would be an excellent selection in the 2nd would be Monrtravius Adams from Auburn as our NT.  I think Tomsula would make him into a Pro Bowler.  He has all the tools.  JMO. 

The more you look at them, the more I'm certain Mixon os the clear best talent in this RB class for everyone shouting 'Cook' or 'Fournette.'

But because of the baggage he'll be a 2/3 rd. pick. If you can look past what happen 3 years back, someone's getting an absolute steal on a bona-fide first round talent.

Hail. 

was bored so ran some draft scenarios- what do you prefer

Scenario 1

Round 1 Pick 17: Christian McCaffrey, RB, Stanford

Round 2 Pick 17: Marcus Williams, FS, Utah

Round 3 Pick 17: Elijah Qualls, DT, Washington

Round 4 Pick 7: Connor Harris, ILB, Lindenwood

Round 4 Pick 17: Jaleel Johnson, DT, Iowa

Round 5 Pick 10: Sean Harlow, OG, Oregon State

Round 6 Pick 17: Charles Walker, DT, Oklahoma

Round 6 Pick 25: Channing Stribling, CB, Michigan

Round 7 Pick 2: Josh Malone, WR, Tennessee

Round 7 Pick 17: Darreus Rogers, WR, Southern California

Scenario 2

Round 1 Pick 17: Zach Cunningham, OLB/ILB, Vanderbilt

Round 2 Pick 17: Budda Baker, FS, Washington

Round 4 Pick 7: Jake Butt, TE, Michigan

Round 4 Pick 32 (PHI): Samaje Perine, RB, Oklahoma

Round 5 Pick 10: Damontae Kazee, CB, San Diego State

Round 5 Pick 31 (CLE): DeAngelo Brown, DT, Louisville

Round 6 Pick 25: Josh Reynolds, WR, Texas A&M

Round 7 Pick 2: Chad Kelly, QB, Ole Miss

Round 7 Pick 17: Zane Gonzalez, K, Arizona State

Scenario 3

Round 1 Pick 17: Mitch Trubisky, QB, North Carolina

Round 2 Pick 17: Caleb Brantley, DT, Florida

Round 3 Pick 17: Joe Mixon, RB, Oklahoma

Round 4 Pick 7: Kendell Beckwith, ILB, LSU

Round 6 Pick 25: Stevie Tu'ikolovatu, DT, Southern California

Round 7 Pick 2: Josh Reynolds, WR, Texas A&M

Round 7 Pick 17: Aarion Penton, CB, Missouri

Scenario 4

Round 1 Pick 17: O.J. Howard, TE, Alabama

Round 2 Pick 17: Jarrad Davis, ILB, Florida

Round 3 Pick 17: Chris Wormley, DT, Michigan

Round 4 Pick 7: Tanoh Kpassagnon, DE, Villanova

Round 4 Pick 17: Davis Webb, QB, California

Round 6 Pick 17: Stevie Tu'ikolovatu, DT, Southern California

Round 6 Pick 25: Marquez White, CB, Florida State

Round 7 Pick 2: Robert Davis, WR, Georgia State

Round 7 Pick 17: Tedric Thompson, SS, Colorado

Scenario 5

Round 1 Pick 17: Malik McDowell, DT/DE, Michigan State

Round 3 Pick 17: Tyler Orlosky, C, West Virginia

Round 4 Pick 17: Nathan Peterman, QB, Pittsburgh

Round 5 Pick 10: Lorenzo Jerome, SS, Saint Francis (PA)

Round 6 Pick 25: Matthew Dayes, RB, NC State

Round 7 Pick 2: Jordan Sterns, FS, Oklahoma State

1 hour ago, RWJ said:

Love your post, SIP.  Always good, straight forward info.  I also would take Foster in a heartbeat IF he fell to #17 but between the two (Foster and Reddick) if they were both available at #17, I'd take Reddick.  Just a personal choice.  It's possibly, I say possible that Brantley falls to the 2nd round or if we trade down we take him in the later part of Round 1.  The guy I like and think he would be an excellent selection in the 2nd would be Monrtravius Adams from Auburn as our NT.  I think Tomsula would make him into a Pro Bowler.  He has all the tools.  JMO. 

Yeah I recall they talked to Adams in the senior bowl.  

http://www.csnmidatlantic.com/washington-redskins/auburn-d-lineman-montravius-adams-senior-bowl-interview-redskins-went-great

For me in the 2nd-4th range:  Watkins, Adams, Tomlinson, Qualls, Vanderdoes, Brantley (not sure he drops that far).  If free agency signings halt at where we are at, Tomlinson and Qualls are becoming my top picks for NT.  Adams I gather can play NT but I think he's more of a 5 technique guy -- based on height-weight?  They need though IMO another 5 technique guy anyway.

Back to Reddick, he's my top guess at the moment at #17.  He seems to fit two needs at once.  I know some don't think that pass rush is an issue with this team -- we got Kerrigan, Murphy, Preston (maybe Galette) but count me among the ones who agree with what Bill Polian (Cooley agrees with this, too) said at the end of the season -- which was the Redskins can't get off the field in 3rd and long because they only got power rushers.  A speed rusher on the other hand can line up wide 9 and just tee off on obvious passing downs. Kerrigan and Murphy don't have the speed to do it -- Reddick can do it.     They used Cravens some last year to bring an unpredictable element to the pass rush, lining him up at different spots.  But Cravens isn't a pass rusher.  They could IMO have a ton of fun with Reddick in that same role and he should be a heck of a lot more dangerous.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000792654/article/daniel-jeremiahs-top-50-prospects-for-2017-nfl-draft-30

He is a very skilled blitzer. He has a nifty dip-rip move and excels at avoiding running backs on the way to the passer. He has the speed and agility to match up with backs and tight ends in man coverage. Overall, Reddick is a three-down linebacker with the versatility to play inside or outside depending on the scheme or game plan.

14 minutes ago, gooseneck said:

Scenario 2

Round 1 Pick 17: Zach Cunningham, OLB/ILB, Vanderbilt

Round 2 Pick 17: Budda Baker, FS, Washington

Round 4 Pick 7: Jake Butt, TE, Michigan

Round 4 Pick 32 (PHI): Samaje Perine, RB, Oklahoma

Round 5 Pick 10: Damontae Kazee, CB, San Diego State

Round 5 Pick 31 (CLE): DeAngelo Brown, DT, Louisville

Round 6 Pick 25: Josh Reynolds, WR, Texas A&M

Round 7 Pick 2: Chad Kelly, QB, Ole Miss

Round 7 Pick 17: Zane Gonzalez, K, Arizona State

Don't love Cunningham in the first, wonder if he could be had in the 2nd.  But love Baker in the 2nd, Qualls in the 3rd, Butt in the 4th, Perine in the 5th in particular. 

1 hour ago, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

The more you look at them, the more I'm certain Mixon os the clear best talent in this RB class for everyone shouting 'Cook' or 'Fournette.'

But because of the baggage he'll be a 2/3 rd. pick. If you can look past what happen 3 years back, someone's getting an absolute steal on a bona-fide first round talent.

Hail. 

Screams Patriot to me in the late first if they still had the pick.

On 3/17/2017 at 4:08 PM, RWJ said:

That's my boy!   I'm hoping we take him at #17, IF we don't trade down.

The more I read and see on him, I'm starting to agree with taking him @17 as a ILB. I didn't know he had played in the secondary at one point either. Watching some of the Sr. Bowl drills though, he was lights out in coverage drills.

That's usually the one big issue in taking a guy that's a 4-3 DE and putting him in space. But he looked really good out there.

1. #Jaguars #Redskins #Broncos were all in attendance for Old Dominion pro day. Rashaad Coward is blowing scouts away folks

2.  Robbie Duncan Retweeted

Rashaad Coward had a day today though. If you do not know this kid you better go google him. He could be the next Damon Harrison

A scout told me Rashaad Coward looked like he was 290 pounds and were mind blown when he was 322. Wore it very well

He's a big kid, at 6'5. I don't know anything about him, and so far find anything on him outside of game logs. 50 tackles in 13 games is good for a nose. Not going to get many sacks, but I hope he can at least collapse the pocket some. I also wonder about his pad level that his height playing there. I could not find any film on him. Anyone from OD that knows more about this guy?

3 hours ago, gooseneck said:

Scenario 5

Round 1 Pick 17: Malik McDowell, DT/DE, Michigan State

Round 3 Pick 17: Tyler Orlosky, C, West Virginia

Round 4 Pick 17: Nathan Peterman, QB, Pittsburgh

Round 5 Pick 10: Lorenzo Jerome, SS, Saint Francis (PA)

Round 6 Pick 25: Matthew Dayes, RB, NC State

Round 7 Pick 2: Jordan Sterns, FS, Oklahoma State

I like this scenario much better, especially if we could trade back and still get McDowell.  But this would be my dream draft if possible.  I just hope we can hit on half of our 10 picks.

Round 1/    Malik McDowell, DE, Mich. St

Round 2/    Budda Baker, FS, Washigton

Round 3/    Joe Mixon, RB, Oklahoma

Round 4/    Jarron Jones, DT, Notre Dame

Round 4/    Blair Brown, ILB, Ohio

Round 5/    Ryan Glasgow, DT, Michigan

Round 6/    Jerod Evans, QB, Virginia Tech

Round 6/    Aviante Collins, OT, TCU

Round 7/    Jermaine Eluemunor, OG, Texas A&M

Round 7/    De'Veon Smith, RB, Michigan

10 hours ago, gooseneck said:

Scenario 3

Round 1 Pick 17: Mitch Trubisky, QB, North Carolina

Round 3 Pick 17: Joe Mixon, RB, Oklahoma

Round 4 Pick 7: Kendell Beckwith, ILB, LSU

Round 6 Pick 25: Stevie Tu'ikolovatu, DT, Southern California

Round 7 Pick 2: Josh Reynolds, WR, Texas A&M

Scenario 4

Round 1 Pick 17: O.J. Howard, TE, Alabama

Round 2 Pick 17: Jarrad Davis, ILB, Florida

Round 3 Pick 17: Chris Wormley, DT, Michigan

Round 4 Pick 7: Tanoh Kpassagnon, DE, Villanova

Round 4 Pick 17: Davis Webb, QB, California

Round 6 Pick 25: Marquez White, CB, Florida State

Round 7 Pick 2: Robert Davis, WR, Georgia State

Round 7 Pick 17: Tedric Thompson, SS, Colorado

I would be really happy with scenario 4 but holy **** I would be over the moon with #3.

I could take or leave Trubisky. Maybe Gruden is going to get the chance to pick his own guy and sink or swim with him.

I know the guy is divisive, but Mixon is another Zeke. He would take our offense to another planet.

But my favorite part of this draft would be getting Jaleel Johnson, Charles Walker, and Stevie Tu'ikolovatu in the 4th round or later. Johnson and Walker are starter level talents and Stevie is a decent rotational nose imo. I doubt this happens though. I could see Johnson and Walker going earlier. Maybe 3rd-4th round.

Other guys that I like that could swap at certain spots would be OJ Howard(mancrush), Tomlinson (great nose with some pass rush potential), Adams, Chris Godwin, and Davis Webb.

Wow, I can see why the Skins were at Coward's pro day. That junior year highlight film was filled with some nice run stuffing plays. He lines up all over the interior. Crazy, I don't think he's on anyone's radar. Curious to see his rise prior to draft. Looks like 5th round pick on potential alone. 

I'd stay away from McDowell. Dude screams uncoachable to me. Haynesworth 2.0.

Howard is a talent but man we are in such dire need of help on D it'd be hard to justify taking a TE in the 1st round. This is a TE heavy draft though, I'd definitely look into taking one in round 2 or 3. But in round 1 we need an immediate defensive talent. Again I'm normally all about BAP but at some point enough is enough and you address the massive holes on your roster.

1 hour ago, Warhead36 said:

I'd stay away from McDowell. Dude screams uncoachable to me. Haynesworth 2.0.

Howard is a talent but man we are in such dire need of help on D it'd be hard to justify taking a TE in the 1st round. This is a TE heavy draft though, I'd definitely look into taking one in round 2 or 3. But in round 1 we need an immediate defensive talent. Again I'm normally all about BAP but at some point enough is enough and you address the massive holes on your roster.

I've been calling McDowell that for a while now. Haynesworth was awesome for Tennessee. 

Archived