Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2017 Comprehensive NFL Draft Thread

Dukes and Skins

On 3/14/2017 at 11:37 AM, RabidFan said:

Didn't Gruden have smallish backs like Bernard and Green Ellis in Cincy?  They didn't draft the bigger hill til Jay was gone.

I always saw Scot as the one who likes a bruising back and stgrong defense like in Sea.  Hence his big of Matt Jones to be his new Marshawn.  Jay seems to like the faster backs like Kyle had in ATL.  Maybe I'm wrong and wouldn't be the first time. :)

BenJarvus Green-Ellis was/is 5-11  220lbs...not sure that's so small.

You know who I can't find any info on, barely made the Senior Bowl, I don't think was at the combine, and who I want to see the measurables at for the LSU Pro Day?

CB Dwayne Thomas, #13.

I want him as a UDFA or late round pick.  Draft him, transition him to safety.  He's a "football player".  Not sure what his speed is, it seems good enough, but he plays FAST, his read and react is legit.  He's not that athletic, but he's willing to throw his body around.  He's someone who flashes on tape when I'm watching someone else.  Very little I find of him actually in coverage though.

I just saw a updated mock draft with us getting Reuben Foster in the 1st and Malik McDowell in the 2nd. It didn't go past the 2nd round so I will add in Sidney Jones in the 3rd and that would be a crazy awesome draft for the Skins.

12 minutes ago, HoggLife said:

I just saw a updated mock draft with us getting Reuben Foster in the 1st and Malik McDowell in the 2nd. It didn't go past the 2nd round so I will add in Sidney Jones in the 3rd and that would be a crazy awesome draft for the Skins.

Devil's advocate:

1.  Foster has questionable coverage skills and character, is somewhat undersized, and benefits from the "Alabama" hype-machine.

2.  McDowell lacked production, is inconsistent, and will be a project.

3.  Jones' medical situation makes him a huge risk.

So much for Mock Drafts from strangers. 

30 minutes ago, HoggLife said:

That's too big a reach for an injured corner considering how deep this draft is. Also, I would like to think if we do go LB, DL to start that we draft an offensive played in 3.

5 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

Jourdan Lewis decided to beat up his girlfriend last night. I really liked him in this draft. He is now off of my board. What a dumb ass and a piece of crap human being.

Let it play out first. Sounds odd that the police showed up, investigated and left without filing charges or making an arrest - VERY rarely happens in a domestic violence call. Then later after the cops came and left she contacted the authorities again the misdemeanor charges were levied. He's hinting on twitter that he wanted to break up with her and she freaked out. I say let it play out before calling him a woman beater. Though he may be.

8 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

Jourdan Lewis decided to beat up his girlfriend last night. I really liked him in this draft. He is now off of my board. What a dumb ass and a piece of crap human being.

Must be a mistake surely? 

Everybody deserves a second chance. 

Did I miss anything?

Hail. 

13 minutes ago, XxSpearheadxX said:

Let it play out first. Sounds odd that the police showed up, investigated and left without filing charges or making an arrest - VERY rarely happens in a domestic violence call. Then later after the cops came and left she contacted the authorities again the misdemeanor charges were levied. He's hinting on twitter that he wanted to break up with her and she freaked out. I say let it play out before calling him a woman beater. Though he may be.

Fair enough. I was just going off of an NFL Network report they did. Either way. I am not drafting him if I am a GM.

2 hours ago, PartyPosse said:

God I hope we don't go RB in first round

I'm sort of with you on that. But if its Cook he can be a huge weapon in the passing game not just run game.

I think hes going to be a very productive back in a WCO. Think a slight bigger and faster Brian Westbrook.

18 minutes ago, XxSpearheadxX said:

I guess, if she's a psycho and the wounds are self inflicted then I believe she should serve jail time (she won't). If she went full crazy on him and he beat the hell out of her, he's still wrong and a terrible human being. I can say one thing, if they weren't even separated, that is a huge mess up on the police officers. Regardless of how you think it played out, you at least do that to cover your behind. 

1 hour ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

Several new mocks have Jonathan Allen dropping due to arthritic shoulder issues.

8 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

Well I hope to God if he's there he doesnt drop past pick 17!

IF he fell down to medical issues, and it's nothing new with his shoulder through college. (Shoulder surgery and reinjuring the same one), why would you want to risk a first on him?

As it happens I can't see him making out of the top 5. But IF there's a big concern over the surgery to have 16 other teams pass, it'd be a risky play to make. 

Hail. 

14 minutes ago, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

IF he fell down to medical issues, and it's nothing new with his shoulder \9and it's nothing new through college. Shoulder surgery and reinjuring the same one), why would you want  to risk a first on him?

As it happens I can't see him making out of the top 5. But IF there's a big concern over the surgery to have 16 other teams pass, it'd be a risky play to make. 

Hail. 

Because he is the best defensive lineman in this draft hands down. And to me its not even close. Shoulder or not if he is there at 17 I hope we take him. He is that good and worth the risk. Here are some examples. And there is TONS more tape like this:

One of the greatest sacks I have ever seen:

bamasack.0.gif

Image result for jonathan allen diving sack gif

491bf59ea55ef3687933a24030e9094f.gif?1463656617

EuphoricNegativeAmericansaddlebred.gif

a791d3d553adab266fc5c2778102e251.gif

8 minutes ago, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

Personally don't think there's been a clearer #1 coming out since Luck than Garrett. 

So I'd beg to differ with you on Allen being the top DL. Now #2 ahead of Thomas and we have an agreement! 

Hail. 

I think Garrett is a better edge player for sure. But pure DL I have Allen #1 by a wide margin. I love this stuff. Thats why we have these threads!

1 minute ago, clskinsfan said:

I think Garrett is a better edge player for sure. But pure DL I have Allen #1 by a wide margin. I love this stuff. Thats why we have these threads!

I'd be equally happy playing Garrett inside as he has done for the Aggies when needed.  Dude does it all. 

But as he's not in play it's a redundant discussion so I won't gush about him. 

Hail. 

4 hours ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

I guess, if she's a psycho and the wounds are self inflicted then I believe she should serve jail time (she won't). If she went full crazy on him and he beat the hell out of her, he's still wrong and a terrible human being. I can say one thing, if they weren't even separated, that is a huge mess up on the police officers. Regardless of how you think it played out, you at least do that to cover your behind. 

There were no visible marks on the female. 

He wasnt around her when the police were called. 

about this guy...he seems intriguing...

Jarron Jones DT, Notre Dame

PLAYER OVERVIEW

The 6-5, 315-pound Jones looked like the next big thing at Notre Dame until a torn MCL prior to the season ruined his 2015 campaign. Having already used his redshirt as a freshman, Jones gamely battled back, hoping to return in time to contribute. He sufficiently recovered enough to play a few snaps in the Fiesta Bowl loss only to suffer another injury - a stress fracture in his foot -- which limited his ability to practice this spring.
Battling back from injury, unfortunately, has become the story with Jones, who missed the final two games of the 2014 season due to a Lisfranc injury. Before sustaining the Lisfranc injury against Louisville in 2014, Jones had recorded 40 tackles, including 7.5 tackles for loss, 1.5 sacks and two blocked kicks.

STRENGTHS WEAKNESSES

STRENGTHS: Jones often lined up at defensive tackle for the Irish and certainly possesses the size and power to remain there at the next level. For a man of his size, Jones shows good initial quickness and flexibility to slip through gaps.
His best asset, however, is his power and length. Jones generates a powerful bull rush, showing impressive upper body strength as well as leg drive to push opponents into the backfield. Even when fending off blockers, Jones does a nice job of reaching out and lassoing ballcarriers, dragging them to the turf. Jones' long arms and good timing make him effective knocking down passes and kicks at the line of scrimmage.

WEAKNESSES: Teams are going to be hesitant to invest an early pick in any player who only played at a high level for one year and has already suffered multiple significant injuries. Jones started just one game in 2013 (20 tackles, including one tackle for loss) prior to his "breakout" junior campaign. On too many plays, he is washed out of the hole and doesn't show the same effort from snap to whistle.

COMPARES TO: Stephon Tuitt, Steelers, -- Similarly built as the former Notre Dame standout - the No. 46 overall pick in 2014 by Pittsburgh - Jones offers a combination of length, strength and athleticism that is sure to capture the imagination of NFL teams operating out of odd and even fronts alike.

IN OUR VIEW: A first-round pick on paper, Jones doesn't consistently play up to that level and the injuries are something the NFL will certainly need to take into account when grading Jones. When healthy, however, he has shown flashes of being a difference-maker in the middle.

--Rob Rang (@robrang), Dane Brugler (@dpbrugler), 9/27/16

and I like the scouting on this guy....

QUALLS, DT Washington

PLAYER OVERVIEW

Much quicker and passionate in pursuit than his blocky build might suggest, Qualls emerged as one of the Pac-12's most disruptive defenders in 2016, earning First Team all-conference honors from league coaches with a career-high 32 tackles, including five for loss and three sacks over the regular season. Qualls may be a relative unknown outside of the Pac-12 but scouts on the west coast know him well, as he enjoyed a breakout campaign a season earlier as a replacement for 2015 first round pick Danny Shelton (Cleveland Browns), registering 4.5 sacks (among 26 tackles) despite missing three games with an ankle injury.
While his build suggests a classic run-stuffer, Qualls' surprisingly light feet and awareness allowed the Huskies to feature him at both defensive end and even as a stand-up rusher, at times. He projects best back inside in the NFL but creative defensive coordinators will be intrigued by Qualls' unique blend of size and agility.

STRENGTHS WEAKNESSES

STRENGTHS: Possesses deceptive initial quickness and lateral agility for a man of his considerable bulk. Splits gaps with his burst, showing the core strength and flexibility to "get skinny" and disrupt the line of scrimmage. Keeps his eyes on the ball and is quick to peel off of blocks and pursue laterally and downfield in pursuit, showing good vision and spatial awareness to remain on his feet amidst the rubble, as well as surprising closing speed. At least adequate arm length and strength for the pull-down tackle and can deliver the emphatic hit when he has a clear path, bringing his hips and launching into ballcarriers. Effective run-stuffer when he keeps his pad level low. Projects as a possible goal-line fullback option given his quickness and bulk.

WEAKNESSES: Has a cinder block-like frame with little room for growth and carries too much of his weight in the middle, leaving him off-balanced. Inconsistent pad level and snap anticipation, each of which contribute to Qualls' getting knocked off the line of scrimmage more often than his bulk suggests. Shows awareness in getting his hands into passing lanes but lacks the height and arm length to be effective in this area, contributing zero passes defended or blocked kicks over his career. Overly reliant upon a late spin move when his initial burst is contained as a pass rusher, showing a limited arsenal overall in this area.

IN OUR VIEW: Given his considerable bulk, Qualls offers some rather unique traits with quick feet and a high-revving motor. His lack of length and inconsistent pad level are challenges which could keep him from starting at the next level but he could prove a valuable disruptor in a rotational role.

COMPARES TO: Christian Covington, Houston Texans: At 6-2, 305 pounds Covington is a little longer and leaner than Qualls but both offer the quickness and motor to help collapse the pocket from the interior.

Big ILB...

KENDELL BECKWITH, ILB LSU

Beckwith is LSU's top returning tackler with 84 stops in 2015, adding career-bests 10.0 tackles for loss, 3.5 sacks and two forced fumbles. That came on the heels of a sophomore season in which he took over the starting job midseason and went on to finish second on the team with 77 tackles, including 7.5 tackles for loss and a pair of sacks.
As a freshman, Beckwith saw action in 12 games, finishing with 11 tackles and his first career sack.

He was a consensus four-star recruit by national recruiting services coming out of East Feliciana in Clinton, La., where he finished his senior season with 91 tackles, including 17 sacks. Beckwith was the No. 2-ranked recruit in Louisiana by ESPN, Rivals.com, Scout.com and 247Sports.

STRENGTHS WEAKNESSES

STRENGTHS: An every-down linebacker for the Tigers, Beckwith is extremely patient with a natural feel to sift through the trash, find the ball and make the stop. He is a fundamentally sound tackler with strong hands to hook, stay low and drop the ballcarrier, using leverage to wrap and finish. Beckwith has the power and physical mentality to take on linemen at the second level, acting as a hammer between the tackles vs. the run game. A three-year starter, Beckwith is viewed as one of the veteran leaders in the locker room.
WEAKNESSES: While his patience works to his advantage, it can also be a curse as he tends to wait for the ballcarrier, causing him to be late mirroring and losing the angle. Beckwith has adequate closing speed once he locates his target, but he isn't a rangy athlete and his play speed is average at best, limiting his effectiveness near the sideline. His tight hips and tall pads also show in the open field when attempting to break down in the backfield or dropping in coverage, which leads to spacing issues.

IN OUR VIEW: With the size that dwarfs some defensive ends, Beckwith is built for the NFL game with the strength to be a downhill masher between the tackles. However, his athletic profile is average-at-best for today's pro game, lacking the speed to be reliable outside the hashes or in space.

While he will likely always be a 4.8-type of athlete, Beckwith can help his NFL draft stock with improved anticipation and read/react skills as a senior leader in coordinator Dave Aranda's defense. Although he isn't in the same first-round discussion as teammates Leonard Fournette and Jamal Adams, a spot on day two of the 2017 NFL Draft is a realistic goal for Beckwith.

I also like this guy...if he slips to us in 2nd round...but I doubt that happens

FORREST LAMP, OG W.Kentucky

A four-year starter at Western Kentucky, Lamp developed into one of the most consistent left tackles in college football and performed extremely well against elite non-conference opponents like Alabama (2016) and LSU (2015) - Crimson Tide defenders Jonathan Allen and Ryan Anderson singled out Lamp as one of the best blockers they have faced.
A two-star offensive tackle recruit out of high school, Lamp was undersized and went overlooked by the bigger programs, committing to Western Kentucky. After redshirting in 2012, he earned a starting role immediately, starting the first three games at right guard before moving to left tackle for the final nine contests to earn All-Sun Belt Honorable Mention honors. Lamp started all 13 games at left tackle as a sophomore, earning a spot on the All-CUSA Honorable Mention team. He again started every game (14 starts) as a junior in 2015 to earn First Team All-CUSA honors. For the second straight season, Lamp earned First Team All-CUSA honors as a senior, despite missing two games (12 starts).

A physical, technically-sound blocker, he works hard to keep rushers in front of him in pass protection and rolls his hips as a run blocker to create movement. Similar to Zach Martin as a pro prospect, Lamp might be able to survive in the NFL at tackle due to his coordinated, square-blocking skills, but his lack of ideal length makes him better suited as an interior blocker. With his body control, core strength and stubborn mentality, Lamp has the necessary traits to make the transition to guard and start early in his NFL career.

STRENGTHS WEAKNESSES

STRENGTHS: Balanced movement skills with low hips in his shuffle. Resets well with lower body flexibility and lateral quicks to sit in his stance, stay square and mirror. Quick, efficient coil with the grip strength to lock out and maintain spacing between him and rushers. Aggressive hands to answer counter measures. Broad-shouldered frame with developed build. Proper kickslide depth to push speed rushers away from the pocket. Aware of his surroundings to pick up spins and stunts, closing inside rush lanes. Physical run blocker, rolling his hips at contact and creating movement. Blocks with a stubborn mentality and competes with the inner confidence required to face NFL linemen. Rarely ends up on the ground. Reliable playing temperament in both practice and games - voted a two-time captain. Strong preparation habits and knows his opponent. Four-year starter with 51 career starts (48 at left tackle, three at right guard), including 42 consecutive starts at one point.
WEAKNESSES: Adequate wingspan, but below average arm length. Looks to get a head start protecting the edge, setting too aggressive outside and late protecting inside moves. Hurries his technique vs. speed, leading to wild limb use. Average lower body mass and frame appears maxed out. Reliable square blocker, but can struggle with defenders on his edge. Limited starting experience inside at guard. Missed two games as a senior due to a leg injury (Sept. 2016) and was forced to sit out the Senior Bowl due to a high ankle sprain (Jan. 2017).

NFL COMPARISON: Zach Martin, Dallas Cowboys -- While unfair to compare him to an All-Pro NFL lineman, Lamp has a similar square blocking style as a college left tackle with the technique and tenacity to dominate in smaller quarters.

Archived