Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2017 Comprehensive NFL Draft Thread

Dukes and Skins

Just now, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

Can't have it two ways. 

I'll remember to try that one if I ever smash someones face. ''It was a 'mistake' your Honour.''

Hail. 

If you're a 1st time offender, you most likely won't go to jail. I've seen more mature people do far worst and walk out of courthouses with their heads held high.

4 minutes ago, DM72 said:

If you're a 1st time offender, you most likely won't go to jail. I've seen more mature people do far worst and walk out of courthouses with their heads held high.

And there's where you and I are COMPLETELY different. 

If I've just broken multiple bones in a females face and gotten away with it, holding my head high is the last emotion I'm feeling. 

Skulking out there hoping nobody sees me ashamed at what I'd done would be more to the point even with the relief of not being punished. 

Hail. 

I don't know how many people read this article but judging by that, I'll start looking at Bruce's past draft history.  Looks like he likes to do things his way.   His Tampa drafting history isn't so hot.   

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/football-insider/wp/2017/03/08/redskins-gm-scot-mccloughan-has-no-role-in-current-free-agency-decision-making/?utm_term=.f6cdf3ba9fdc

1 hour ago, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

And there's where you and I are COMPLETELY different. 

If I've just broken multiple bones in a females face and gotten away with it, holding my head high is the last emotion I'm feeling. 

Skulking out there hoping nobody sees me ashamed at what I'd done would be more to the point even with the relief of not being punished. 

Hail. 

He quoted you saying "someones face" not a females.... nice bait job though.

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I don't know how many people read this article but judging by that, I'll start looking at Bruce's past draft history.  Looks like he likes to do things his way.   His Tampa drafting history isn't so hot.   

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/football-insider/wp/2017/03/08/redskins-gm-scot-mccloughan-has-no-role-in-current-free-agency-decision-making/?utm_term=.f6cdf3ba9fdc

I'm a season ticket holder, who has believed that Bruce Allen is an incompetent charlatan who should have been fired before Shanahan, instead of being the one doing the firing. However, if this WP article by Liz Clark is an accurate representation of the situation, he MUST he removed immediately. I know quite a few people who hold luxury season ticket packages who will be making their voices heard before renewing. 

I love this franchise, but I am not spending another decade+ in the wilderness being led by Dan's latest unqualified confidante. They better make some astute moves ASAP,  and this article better be inaccurate or one-sided, otherwise #firebruce is going to be the clarion call of this fanbase. 

3 hours ago, DC Lumber Co. said:

He quoted you saying "someones face" not a females.... nice bait job though.

Get a grip mate will yer. 

We're on about Mixon. I wasn't 'baiting' anyone. Just repeating my view. Not least against the appalling tone of the words constantly being used here IMJO. 

Hail. 

With Bruce running the draft and personnel, does it even matter at this point? His draft record is not good, In fact, the only decent thing he contributes is cap management. YET HE IS RUNNING THE KITCHEN. I have absolutely zero clue how Dan Snyder could become a multi billionaire in the business world and be such an ignorant **** when it comes to operating a sports franchise. We will win 7 games in the next 2 years before he cans Bruce Allen and then pleads to all of us, "I've finally learned, I'm stepping away, time to get a football guy to lead the way." 

Let's be honest, we know that relationship will go sour as quickly as it has with Scot. Poison and cancer just surrounds Snyder and it will stay with this team as long as he is at the top. This was the last straw for me. I can no longer support the guy

1 hour ago, Hail2theSkins24 said:

With Bruce running the draft and personnel, does it even matter at this point?

Scott Campbell will be running the draft, like in 2014. And similarly to 2014, they'll have McC's scouting reports, his board, and whatever else to shape the choices.

Allen apparently can insinuate himself into any situation but ultimately controls things by way of contracts and money with free agents. If Allen isn't totally sold on you, it's reflective in the contract. Real passive aggressive way to send in your dissenting minority report by tabling a low-ball offer which guarantees the player won't sign here. 

So right now Alex Santos gets to see first hand what Morocco Brown was seeing in 2014 as it relates to free agency with the specter of Allen ghouling around in the window curtains.

2014 had 10 chefs in the kitchen each tossing handfuls of paprika into each other's faces. That's how you got an Andre Roberts signing on the eve of an historic WR class, which leads to actively by-passing Jarvis Landry when he sitting right in front of you.

That's how you got a retarded franchise tag on Orakpo that nearly everyone in the fanbase realized was a total waste of money, because dude was guaranteed to be injured again, which then leads to selecting jag Trent Murphy with the 1st selection of the draft. Instead of allowing it to naturally unfold where ability and availability intersect with team need, like at the more impactful position of Guard, that we all wanted, in Joel Bitonio.

It's back to flawed processes. And every so often there will be hits, which will be used to justify the process, you'll hear the propaganda because they'll be boastful, but their process is flawed. 

Oh, to answer your question, no. 

1 hour ago, SkinssRvA said:

The more I think about it the more I think we are targeting Ross

Be a mistake given the log jam of great receiving talent round's 2 and 3 that are all on a similar level to me. (And not least given his injury history.). 

I mean if a Davis or Williams or Ross was there you'd have to consider him, but 17's way too early for value for me. 

Same with the DB's. The second and third is stacked. 

Hail. 

Don't get me wrong, I think it's too early too.  But with the way everything is going these days (us losing our top two receivers) and a true personnel guy not around to quench Dan's thirst for headlines, it wouldn't surprise me if we decided to roll the dice on an injury plagued speedster like Ross.

FWIW, I think Ross is a helluva player.  I watched him a lot as I see a LOT of pac-12 football.  He made Adoree Jackson look slow and unathletic.  The simple fact is the draft is too deep to take a player with his risk in the mid 1st.  

Its been a few years since I have posted.

just watched week 17 giants game.  Main reason Skins lost?? They couldn't run the ball.

I have seen some notes about defensive needs and I for sure agree that they need to draft some pieces on the defense.  However, having an impact player at RB will make a significant difference and will keep drives alive and will keep the defense fresh.  I don't have the stats in front of me, but the D was on the field often last season.  I think Rob Kelley is really solid; I just didn't see any defenses game planning for him or having to adjust to really account for him.  RB is a significant part of balancing the attack as you know, and to have someone relatively mediocre at the position basically cost the team the playoffs.

This draft is incredible, loaded with talent.  That said, at 17 overall, I just don't see how the team can pass up on one of these 3 top backs:

L. Fournette (will more than likely NOT fall to 17)

C. McCaffrey

D. Cook

Please go to youtube and watch some full game highlights for McCaffrey.  Keep in mind the dude broke Barry Sander's yardage records.  Let that sink in.  Look at his vision, his patience (Leveon Bell-esque); look at how Stanford had nothing else at all going on offense and opposing defenses would key on him and he still made a ton of plays.

Consider this as well- a number of scouts- Bucky etc- have McCaffrey ranked top 5 for WRs after his combine performance; if you consider the impact of our departing top two WRs then this becomes almost an immediate need.  However- we just drafted Doctson (and if you want to feel better about our WR situation today, go watch film on him, he's a special talent), so drafting another 1st round WR seems somewhat unlikely.  McCaffrey can legit lineup in the slot, OR ON THE OUTSIDE, and make plays/draw attention.  His route running is extremely impressive.  So, with one pick, you can fill two offensive needs.  Think of how much value you would get out of that first rounder; he averaged 30 touches/game at Stanford.

That said, to a lesser degree, I also think Dalvin Cook is really really special as well, I just wonder about the off field stuff, dog fighting etc.  McCaffery doesn't seem to have the off field concerns as far as we can tell.

Other things to consider-

we have read the news that Gruden has even said how much of a difference a gamebreaker RB can and would make- "we're all looking for that" he says.  I have also read that McVay stylistically is more spread/passing and Gruden would bring focus back to the run game somewhat.  Consider how well play action would work if you're actually running the ball successfully.

Something else- depending on how the Cousins situation is handled over the next couple of years- you need a strong run game to lean on almost above everything else, to take pressure off of the QB (Colt is capable- the o line is decent and Gruden is the dynamo as he developed Cousins- who still threw picks at key moments, lest we forget).

This draft, defensively, is incredible.  Honestly if the Redskins cash in their chips and can gather multiple 2nd or 3rd rounders, the defense could be set for years on the 2nd day of the draft.  They should even consider trading up with their extra 4/5/6 picks to settle into the 2nd and 3rd rounds... there is a sweet spot there with a lot and I mean A LOT of talent.

That said, if Foster or somehow one of the top 2 safeties falls down the board you have to strongly consider it; I have even seen some mock drafts mention Johnathan Allen falling to 17, that would be doubtful but obviously phenomenal.  And yes deeper RB depth is also there- starting with Mixon, Kamara, even Gallman could be a difference maker, but none like these top 3.

Still though, running the football on a high level is extremely important and currently lacking- we haven't had an elite RB since Portis, and we have a chance to grab one here; I am all in on McCaffrey.

McCaffrey or McDowell are probably going to be BPA at 17 for me.  I hope we keep Cousins, but if we trade him for #2, a Watson & McCaffrey first round would be a pretty ****ing awesome way to rebuild.  But I also really like the idea of giving Kirk a running back like McCaffrey to play with, so I'm still holding out hope we can get a deal worked out with him.

3 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

McCaffrey or McDowell are probably going to be BPA at 17 for me.  I hope we keep Cousins, but if we trade him for #2, a Watson & McCaffrey first round would be a pretty ****ing awesome way to rebuild.  But I also really like the idea of giving Kirk a running back like McCaffrey to play with, so I'm still holding out hope we can get a deal worked out with him.

I would rather have Mccaffrey than McDowell. But I dont know if either are going to be the best value there. It could end up being a Safety or CB at that point and I would be fine with either of those as well. 

What do you think are the team needs after the first day of free agency?  I am throwing this out not for players as much as for position-might substitute a guard in the third round

Round 1 Pick 17: Leonard Fournette, RB, LSU (A)
Round 2 Pick 17: Raekwon McMillan, ILB/OLB, Ohio State (A)
Round 3 Pick 17: Marcus Williams, FS, Utah (A+)
Round 4 Pick 7: Amara Darboh, WR, Michigan (A+)
Round 4 Pick 17: Davis Webb, QB, California (B-)
Round 5 Pick 10: Damontae Kazee, CB, San Diego State (A)
Round 5 Pick 17: Jarron Jones, DT, Notre Dame (A)
Round 6 Pick 17: Cameron Tom, C, Southern Mississippi (B-)
Round 6 Pick 25: Stevie Tu'ikolovatu, DT, Southern California (B-)
Round 7 Pick 17: Tedric Thompson, SS, Colorado (C)

you guys have a favorite draft geek for the GM spot?  Brugler?  Mike Miller from Bleacher report? :)  Maybe Josh Norris?  B. Brooks?

NFL Network draft analyst Mike Mayock has emerged as a candidate to become Washington’s general manager, sources tell @FieldYates and me.

1Reply

5 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Now that Scot is gone, I'll open up a little bit more -- not that I know that much more than what I've shared but when stuff comes up, I'll share.  And apparently they still have Scot's draft board that they are working with if I recall according to Breer.   McCaffrey -- Scot was more intrigued by him as a receiver than as a RB.   If they are moving Crowder out of the slot, maybe McCaffrey in the slot?

6 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

NFL Network draft analyst Mike Mayock has emerged as a candidate to become Washington’s general manager, sources tell @FieldYates and me.

1Reply

Complete laughing stock of the entire NFL. 

That's your Washington Redskins folks. 

Hail. 

1 minute ago, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

Complete laughing stock of the entire NFL. 

That's your Washington Redskins folks. 

Hail. 

I got a strong feeling that Bruce will be watching our mock draft coming up -- the winner just might be the next GM of the Redskins.  I have doubled up on my research for my Dolphins board.

8 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Now that Scot is gone, I'll open up a little bit more -- not that I know that much more than what I've shared but when stuff comes up, I'll share.  And apparently they still have Scot's draft board that they are working with if I recall according to Breer.   McCaffrey -- Scot was more intrigued by him as a receiver than as a RB.   If they are moving Crowder out of the slot, maybe McCaffrey in the slot?

I think you could use him at either position to devastating effect.  He is a terrible mismatch for linebackers in the slot and even safeties are going to have trouble running with him.  Good at running patterns out of the backfield too.  Great hands.

But McCaffrey is much more of a workhorse than people give him credit for.  Stanford ran him inside and he was good at it.  That goes against the conventional wisdom because he doesn't look strong and doesn't have a punishing style.  But he actually has really strong legs and drives through contact and he runs really low for a 6' tall runner.

Ultimately I think you find a way to get him 20-25 touches a game anyway you can.  So that might mean ~15 rushes and 7 or 8 targets in the passing game.  And I think his versatility makes it easy to get him on the field in a lot of personnel groups and used in a lot of different formations.  But I also think if you need to grind a game out on the ground you can run him 25+ times and he will get the job done.

I actually think he's a really good fit for Jay in particular because of Jay's pass happy inclination.  You can keep McCaffrey on the field the whole time by having him run patterns from the slot.

If Doctson doesn't work out this year, or if we don't sign an outside guy like Terrelle Pryor, I'm curious as to what's going to happen with Jamison Crowder next season.  I wonder if he can play outside?  If that's his destiny, then we're going to have such a need for a slot receiver that McCaffrey might actually play more of his snaps there than in the backfield if we drafted him.  It'd be a weird but interesting and dynamic group of personnel.

Archived