Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2017 Comprehensive NFL Draft Thread

Dukes and Skins

11 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Reuben Foster is not a top ten talent anyhow.  Getting sent home from the combine doesn't change that.  Smallish stack linebackers that don't make big plays aren't top ten picks.  He was being overrated.

Are you sure you're thinking of the Alabama LB Reuben Foster?

Jonathan Allen is not a top ten talent either, PFF is late to the ball in figuring that out.  He's another Alabama guy set to be over-drafted because people think he's a way bigger talent than he really is.  He's an overachiever playing in a front with a ton of other NFL bound talent and he got a disproportionately high number of favorable match ups and he was able to exploit them for eye popping sack numbers.  Same story for Carlos Watkins, and nobody ever confused him for a top five pick.  The SEC and Alabama hype machine has boosted Allen's stock and people think he's a way better pass rusher than he really is.  He's a good player who should have a solid NFL career if he stays healthy but he's not special.  His first few steps are way too slow to be special.  Just kind of a solid jack of all trades guy.  Late teens to early 20s value.

Dalvin Cook was also being overrated, again PFF is assuming he's a faller because of a weak combine when the reality is he was being heavily overrated before the combine began.  Christian McCaffrey is better than him and their places in the recent mock drafts should be flipped.  McCaffrey was easily the best RB in CFB the last two seasons, and Fournette is the only guy who should be ahead of him at the position.  And that's only because Fournette's freakish size-speed ration makes you think he could have more potential.  McCaffrey was way better than him on the field.

19 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

#Colts and #Skins both contacted the Bengals about the 9th pick during the 2017 NFL Combine.

Don't know how I feel about that.  One of the only good reasons to move up that high before the draft would be to get a QB, and #9 ain't going to be high enough to get the only one worth replacing Kirk with.  Have to move up to 2 to get Watson.  And even then the Browns could screw us over.

If we're moving up for a QB, then we need to wait until draft day to make sure Cleveland picks Myles Garrett.  And then we need to hope San Francisco is still looking to get Kirk and hasn't already gone with another option.  It is a small needle to thread.

Only scenario I see us moving up to #9 is if we already have the #2 plus an extra second or third rounder from SF. We give up our original second to jump to #9 whilst also having #2. Plus we have still have SFs second or third in the bank. 

CLE trade for Jimmy, give up #12, then go Garrett at #1.

None of that will happen though.

1 hour ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Jonathan Allen is not a top ten talent either, PFF is late to the ball in figuring that out.  He's another Alabama guy set to be over-drafted because people think he's a way bigger talent than he really is.  He's an overachiever playing in a front with a ton of other NFL bound talent and he got a disproportionately high number of favorable match ups and he was able to exploit them for eye popping sack numbers.  Same story for Carlos Watkins, and nobody ever confused him for a top five pick.  The SEC and Alabama hype machine has boosted Allen's stock and people think he's a way better pass rusher than he really is.  He's a good player who should have a solid NFL career if he stays healthy but he's not special.  His first few steps are way too slow to be special.  Just kind of a solid jack of all trades guy.  Late teens to early 20s value.

Dalvin Cook was also being overrated, again PFF is assuming he's a faller because of a weak combine when the reality is he was being heavily overrated before the combine began.  Christian McCaffrey is better than him and their places in the recent mock drafts should be flipped.  McCaffrey was easily the best RB in CFB the last two seasons, and Fournette is the only guy who should be ahead of him at the position.  And that's only because Fournette's freakish size-speed ration makes you think he could have more potential.  McCaffrey was way better than him on the field.

Well at least we agree at the RB position. As far as Foster and Allen go we are WORLDS apart.

If we can get #2 from SF I'd seriously consider trading back within the top 10 to a QB needy team and taking the best defender available on defense at both 1st round picks. Hopefully bet a 2nd in a trade back to really accelerate the "rebuild". If we can get SF 1st in 2018 I target a QB then. 

1-1-2 of Jonathan Allen, Reuben Foster and Budda Baker would be sick. Or hooker, Brantley, Cunningham. However you slice it. 

Of course ... then we'd have a young solid core on defense and Colt McCoy at QB haha

To uplift my spirits a bit I went and did a FanSpeak with Matt Miller's board and the Niners 1st (2) and 3rd (2) ... 

*Trade: 1.2 to San Diego for 1.7 and 2.6

1.7: Malik Hooker, FS Ohio State

1.17: Johnathan Allen, DE Alabama

2.6: TJ Watt, EDGE/ILB Wisconsin

2.17: Jarrad Davis, ILB Florida

3.3: Nathan Peterman, QB Pitt

3.17: JuJu Smith-Schuster, WR USC

4.7: Ethan Pocic, G/C LSU

4.17: Eddie Jackson, S Alabama

5.10: James Connor, RB Pitt

Stopped after 5 rounds because you get the point. I can't see Allen falling to #17 but with the injury concerns, maybe? But jesus, If that was our draft through 5 rounds I think we'd all give up Kirk right now haha

48 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

If we can get #2 from SF I'd seriously consider trading back within the top 10 to a QB needy team and taking the best defender available on defense at both 1st round picks. Hopefully bet a 2nd in a trade back to really accelerate the "rebuild". If we can get SF 1st in 2018 I target a QB then. 

1-1-2 of Jonathan Allen, Reuben Foster and Budda Baker would be sick. Or hooker, Brantley, Cunningham. However you slice it. 

Of course ... then we'd have a young solid core on defense and Colt McCoy at QB haha

If you trade Kirk for #2, then that #2 pick is for getting a QB.  You don't trade a franchise QB for a defensive lineman.  That would be madness.

42 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

If you trade Kirk for #2, then that #2 pick is for getting a QB.  You don't trade a franchise QB for a defensive lineman.  That would be madness.

There is no franchise QB in this draft IMO. Now next year is a different beast all together.

1 hour ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

I do feel like we've been saying "next year" will be the year for QBs. Which is why I'm okay going QB in the 2nd/3rd this year. No guarantee we have a pick or ability to get near a pick next year for a QB. But having 2 #1's next year is a good start at least 

If we turn into a team with a good defense and running game, full of young players and don't do well, so be it.

Archived