Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2017 Comprehensive NFL Draft Thread

Dukes and Skins

59 minutes ago, arftech said:

With the addition of Pryor Skins will not be drafting a receiver.  They'll probably go defense or a very talented game breaking running back if available.

Hail Em Up!

I hope so,but keeping in mind drafts are not intended to fill current needs, but project needs up to next 5 years. If I were GM, and I did submit my application, I think the tiers of this particular draft set up nicely for Skins. 

I think we go DB, inside DL/LB round 1 based on draft board. Next few rounds there should be great value at RB, CB, interior OL

I see a lot of confusion about how many picks we have, either 9 or 10, and it seems to stem from the Derek Carrier trade.

Most articles say trade bringing Carrier here only had one pick involved, a 5th rounder going to SF:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000514144/article/redskins-acquire-te-derek-carrier-in-trade-with-49ers

But I've been seeing articles lately referencing a 7th rounder coming back to Washington in addition to the Carrier for a 5th swap:

http://ninernoise.com/2017/02/24/49ers-compensatory-pick-10-total-2017-nfl-draft/

So which one is it?

1 hour ago, Koolblue13 said:

10, no 7th rounder

If you are saying we aren't getting a 7th from sf, then that would leave us with 9 picks.  One in every round, with an additional pick in the 4th and 6th.  If we do have 10 picks, it's due to us getting the 7th from SF.  Right?

1 hour ago, KillBill26 said:

If you are saying we aren't getting a 7th from sf, then that would leave us with 9 picks.  One in every round, with an additional pick in the 4th and 6th.  If we do have 10 picks, it's due to us getting the 7th from SF.  Right?

I believe we have their 7th.

I know we have ten picks.

Nm I found my answer

The biggest news in the listing is the final details of the Derek Carrier trade with the San Francisco 49ers. It was originally reported that the TE would cost the Redskins a conditional 5th round pick in 2017, and the conditions were based on playing time and productivity. Carrier tore his ACL in 2015, and was not used much last year. Mike Jones of the Washington Postreported the Redskins would only be sending a 7th round pick, instead of a 5th. This was incorrect, and the Redskins did have to send the 5th originally reported, but also received the 49ers 7th in return.

http://www.hogshaven.com/2017/2/28/14629466/redskins-officially-have-10-picks-in-the-2017-nfl-draft

8 hours ago, arftech said:

With the addition of Pryor Skins will not be drafting a receiver.  They'll probably go defense or a very talented game breaking running back if available.

Hail Em Up!

They keep going slow like this in FA as to addressing the D line -- they might have to go to town at that position in the draft.  That's the vibe I got way back in November when I talked to Scot but its becoming increasingly obvious.  I just don't see though DT being the way to go in round 1 -- Solomon Thomas or Taco Charlton bulk up and play 5 technique?  And neither might fall to #17.  Heck I see Thomas in many mocks these days in the top 5.  I think Caleb Brantley is a reach at #17.   Looks like Malik McDowell might have a screw loose.  So not sure what they are thinking?   2nd-4th round -- maybe guys like Watkins, Tomlinson, Walker, etc.

34 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

They keep going slow like this in FA as to addressing the D line -- they might have to go to town at that position in the draft.  That's the vibe I got way back in November when I talked to Scot but its becoming increasingly obvious.  I just don't see though DT being the way to go in round 1 -- Solomon Thomas or Taco Charlton bulk up and play 5 technique?  And neither might fall to #17.  Heck I see Thomas in many mocks these days in the top 5.  I think Caleb Brantley is a reach at #17.   Looks like Malik McDowell might have a screw loose.  So not sure what they are thinking?   2nd-4th round -- maybe guys like Watkins, Tomlinson, Walker, etc.

My wish list for the draft first 3 rounds, SIP:

1st round - Haason Reddick, ILB Temple
2nd round – Bubba Baker, FS Washington
3rd round - Carlos Watkins, DL5T, Clemson

1 hour ago, RWJ said:

Bubba Baker hasn't played football in decades.  In his prime he was great, but at 60, there ain't much left in the tank.

42 minutes ago, GothSkinsFan said:

Bubba Baker hasn't played football in decades.  In his prime he was great, but at 60, there ain't much left in the tank.

LOL.  Thank you for the laugh, GSF.  Budda Baker.  :)

Right now I don't believe anything comming from Redskins park.

But if we did work with Scot his FA board we will also work with his draft board. That might make predicting a little bit easier. 

It's only so difficult because mock draft are all over the place. Not really a strong trend of players going around the same pick. One has Thomas in top 5 other at end of first for an example.  

I do have the feeling that Bruce might go a little bit more need based. Not just straight up BPA. So to me his focus will be on dlineman and linebacker. Think they might gamble on Swearinger Sua combo at safety....and because of that don't go safety early. I think Jay might push his opinion about a RB and wouldn't suprise me if we grab one in the first two rounds. 

1 hour ago, wilco_holland said:

I do have the feeling that Bruce might go a little bit more need based. Not just straight up BPA. So to me his focus will be on dlineman and linebacker. Think they might gamble on Swearinger Sua combo at safety....and because of that don't go safety early. I think Jay might push his opinion about a RB and wouldn't suprise me if we grab one in the first two rounds. 

I have the same feeling on all counts. Save for I've a nagging fear that we'll grab Mixon in the third. I say fear because this place would naturally explode. But at the end of the day getting a genuine first round talent that low would be tremendous value you just couldn't turn down. 

I'd rather not. But that would be my tipping point to pull the trigger. 

Hail. 

2 hours ago, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

I have the same feeling on all counts. Save for I've a nagging fear that we'll grab Mixon in the third. I say fear because this place would naturally explode. But at the end of the day getting a genuine first round talent that low would be tremendous value you just couldn't turn down. 

I'd rather not. But that would be my tipping point to pull the trigger. 

Hail. 

3rd round would make it worth any associated risk in drafting Mixon, imo. Skins clearly don't care if the fanbase erupts, and neither do I. Extension of our overreactive society that will likely forget about it by week 6 anyways. 

Not sure if this has been posted in here yet or not but here are the Waldo Formula results for this years class. 

Anyone with a 1.05 or higher "explosive power" score (which basically uses Vert and broad jump, compared to Weight/Height to gauge a players explosive power), have had an extremely good chance (~80%) of not only succeeding in the NFL but being a pro bowl or > quality player. This number is pretty much a threshold, either your above 1.05, or your not in the same group.

Another player type that has nearly as great chance of success that hasvea very low risk value is someone that both has a twitch score of under 1.1, and has a sub-7.0s 3 cone time.

Players with Explosive Power rating > 1.05:

• Myles Garrett 1.13
  • Larry Ogunjobi 1.071
  • Elijah Qualls 1.066
  • D.J. Jones 1.054
  •  

Near misses and next best:

• Solomon Thomas 1.045
  • Jordan Willis 1.013
  •  

Players with a Twitch Score < 1.1 and 3 cone < 7 seconds:

• Pita Taumoepenu 1.07, 6.91
  • Solomon Thomas 1.02, 6.95
  • **Jordan Willis 7.36, 6.85
  •  

Near misses, next best:

• **Haason Reddick 7.55, 7.01
  • Trey Hendrickson 1.01, 7.03
  • Deatrich Wise 1.06, 7.07
  • Taco Charlton 1.06, 7.17
  • Garrett Sickels 1.09, 7.21
  • Daeshon Hall 1.11, 7.03
  • Jordan Willis 1.14, 6.85

• Derek Barnett 1.14, 6.96

• Dawuane Smoot 1.11, 7.18

• Carroll Phillips 1.13, 7.06

•  

With these guys twitch next best guys, your chances of getting a decent starter or back is pretty good, but that is overwhelmingly their likely ceiling. Trey Henderson is very close though.

Some thoughts

• Garrett is as advertised and worthy of a #1 pick.

• Solomon Thomas barely misses out on the explosive elite and makes the twitch elite with a VERY good twitch score. Extremely good, given his weight. I'd put him 2nd to Garrett and then daylight to Taumoepenu. Then a bit more daylight after.

•  

• Derek Barnett was sick. If he was healthy how much better could he have done? His 3 cone was good enough for a healthy guy. He was let down by his 20 ss, where to make the grade, he'd have to run .15 faster than his 4.45 20 ss. Is this possible? Maybe? I'd guess it would be close and he might just get there, depending on how badly it affected him.

•  

• This year there is no one really close enough on Explosive Power rating this year, where given their height, if they put on a little more weight, they'd make the grade. Last year, we had Leonard Floyd who fit that category. After a year, he seems to be at a more effective weight, so watch out for him this year!

•  

• Jordan Willis** is probably too far away with his explosive rating. But did a very good 3 cone (6.85). It looks like he breaks the twitch rating. Him and very nearly Reddick can move to the top twitch group ratings. See post below for details to why.

All in all, it looks fairly deep at DE. If anyone has any questions or wants any ratings of players not mentioned, just shout out and I'll post them when I get a chance.

When I can get LB numbers I'll do them too. I'm not sure we're expecting anything outstanding their given Foster isn't running. But you never know!

I'll ask again because his name is all over the board today. Can someone find me 1 game film of Reddick flashing. I watched all his games on BreakDown and he flat out is unimpressive to a liability. I guess I'm missing something (outside of his underwear olympic performance).

I hope he's gone by 17, because this is just the kind of 'athlete' Bruce will draft. I'd take Baker 10/10 times over the 'athlete'. 

4 minutes ago, Bonez3 said:

I'll ask again because his name is all over the board today. Can someone find me 1 game film of Reddick flashing. I watched all his games on BreakDown and he flat out is unimpressive to a liability. I guess I'm missing something (outside of his underwear olympic performance).

I hope he's gone by 17, because this is just the kind of 'athlete' Bruce will draft. I'd take Baker 10/10 times over the 'athlete'. 

His hype is based entirely on making the position switch inside. His numbers and height/wt draw comparisons to a Shazier type player at ILB if he hits his ceiling.

I agree that using a first rounder on a player based on a projection to a different position than he played in college is quite a risk. I think you could easily have made the case for him with a 2nd rounder but his hype train eliminated that from being a possibility.

high risk/high reward pick now. I wouldn't bet against the kid after starting as a DB at Temple and the reports of his work ethic and leadership but I can definitely understand the hesitation.

To answer your question directly, you can't really evaluate tape on him, seeing as none of it is at the position he will play in the pros. 

10 hours ago, Hail2theSkins24 said:

McCaffrey just doesn't convince me. Only offense I'd consider at 17 is Fournette, Howard, Cook in that order. Reddick/Lattimore/Allen/Hooker/Foster in no particular order, I'd be happy with any of those picks

I'm not advocating him at #17, but if he's there in the 2nd on First-Pick, I take him.  I'd also take him later in the 1st with a trade down.  You can give him 10-15 carries a game, you can put him at WR, you can run screens with him.  There's a lot he can do that others can't.  He'll probably get taken by NE and help Brady win another half dozen SBs.

Combine results were devastating (McCaffrey, Ross, Lamp no longer available at 17).

I've changed my new Day 1 and 2 picks* as follows:

1.  TJ Watt (trade down in 1st)

2.  Cooper Kupp

3.  Pat Elfein  (Slips due to slower than expected 40) 

*Assume no Kirk trade.

15 hours ago, RWJ said:

I like it a lot. 

Reddick is growing on me in part because he's not confined to MLB, he can bring some speed to rush the passer either from the middle or lets wide 9 on their and long.  I don't know if Baker drops that far, ditto Watkins.  But if they did, I'd love that haul.

I agree with the notion that some make that D line makes more sense in the 2nd-4th round:  Tomlinson, Qualls, Watkins, Brantley, Adams, etc.  On Path to the Draft DJ and Brooks were pontificating that there will be a big run on corners from pick #20-#40.    I agree that might be the sweet spot.  I keep wondering about whether Q. Wilson is in play at #17 (especially after the Jeffrey, Marshall signings) or Tabor with the 2nd round pick.  We got their secondary coach and Manusky apparently likes him some corners. 

I was just looking at Mcshay's mock today.  I know its common for mocks to change after the combine and in March but if this is the new direction it is a wild turn on some fronts:

Solomon Thomas at #2

Allen #5

OJ Howard at #4 (McShay reading Koolblue's posts?)

McCaffrey #14

Lamp #15

Ross #16

Cook #17 -- Redskins take him

Reddick #22

Charlton #28

Wilson #32

Archived