Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2017 Comprehensive NFL Draft Thread

Dukes and Skins

26 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

Mccaffrey was the second fastest RB at the combine (tied with 2 others) So yes. It is blazing.

And 4.31 isnt blazing. That is ELITE speed.

4.5 is pretty average for a 200 pound running back, which is what a 4.48 basically is. This would be a really good time if he was like 220 or more, but at 200 pounds, it's not that fast at all.

10 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

To play Comptons role, true. But the hammer, fosters role, you dont.

You know who else struggled with coverages and defensive scheme and played WAY better when he was teamed up with a guy named ryan clark who helped steer him in the right coverages?

Sean Taylor. Some players have such instinct that they have been profoundly successful without having to get those things.

Plus Foster has hinted he may be learning disabled. Make accomadations for the man, let his subconcious break up plays and shut down the middle of the front 7.

9 minutes ago, XxSpearheadxX said:

Plus Foster has hinted he may be learning disabled. Make accomadations for the man, let his subconcious break up plays and shut down the middle of the front 7.

It takes a smart coach to work with someone disabled or learning challenged.  Maybe acoach will need to spend extra film time to help this kid learn.  If the dude is that talented, he will be worth it. 

Here is a story all the old-schoolers will know, but some of you young guns may not.  It is about Larry Brown and his disability that almost kept him from the NFL.

But Lombardi also noticed the rookie had trouble getting off the ball at the snap. Some said Brown was too slow off the snap to cut it in the NFL. The coach dug a little deeper and discovered that Brown was deaf in his right ear. Lombardi had a small hearing aid mounted in Brown's helmet, which helped make the running back competitive and embark on a remarkable NFL career

I also have heard that Lombardi moved Brown in the huddle so that his left ear was toward the QB calling the plays.  Simple and smart!!  Are the current coaches up to this type of challenge?

9 minutes ago, ILikeBilly said:

It takes a smart coach to work with someone disabled or learning challenged.  Maybe acoach will need to spend extra film time to help this kid learn.  If the dude is that talented, he will be worth it. 

Here is a story all the old-schoolers will know, but some of you young guns may not.  It is about Larry Brown and his disability that almost kept him from the NFL.

But Lombardi also noticed the rookie had trouble getting off the ball at the snap. Some said Brown was too slow off the snap to cut it in the NFL. The coach dug a little deeper and discovered that Brown was deaf in his right ear. Lombardi had a small hearing aid mounted in Brown's helmet, which helped make the running back competitive and embark on a remarkable NFL career

I also have heard that Lombardi moved Brown in the huddle so that his left ear was toward the QB calling the plays.  Simple and smart!!  Are the current coaches up to this type of challenge?

That's a really different challenge than having a guy that is deaf in one ear. And I'm not sure how much stock I'd put into him being learning disabled. He might be, but when the only source is the player hinting that might be the case, he just might be trying to make excuses.

But say he is. First you need to identify what kind of learning disability he has, and then hopefully come up with something that might help. Not just stick your left ear in the huddle and put a hearing aid in the helmet.

29 minutes ago, Morneblade said:

That's a really different challenge than having a guy that is deaf in one ear. And I'm not sure how much stock I'd put into him being learning disabled. He might be, but when the only source is the player hinting that might be the case, he just might be trying to make excuses.

But say he is. First you need to identify what kind of learning disability he has, and then hopefully come up with something that might help. Not just stick your left ear in the huddle and put a hearing aid in the helmet.

I see you point.  Not sure you saw mine.  Larry Brown was almost not given a chance at playing in the NFL because of his hearing problem.  Coach couldn't just put a hearing aid in his helmet.  First he needed permission from the NFL.  Once he got that, he need an aid that would stay in place, not break....This was the early 1960's.  Coach (and/or assistants) had to spend extra time to get this done. 

I don't think Foster said he had a learning disability.  He and his college coach said something about learning better from watching film and seeing it vs. talking Xs and Os and reading a playbook.  If true, then this is fixable, but will take time from coaches to put together videos that he can watch on a pad (or whatever) so that he can stay up to speed.

My point is that if Foster has some learning issues, the team can get past them if the player and coaches are willing to think outside the box and put in the extra effort.  Is the guy worth it?  I don't know.  Larry Brown was one of the great ones.  He was worth it. 

29 minutes ago, ILikeBilly said:

I see you point.  Not sure you saw mine.  Larry Brown was almost not given a chance at playing in the NFL because of his hearing problem.  Coach couldn't just put a hearing aid in his helmet.  First he needed permission from the NFL.  Once he got that, he need an aid that would stay in place, not break....This was the early 1960's.  Coach (and/or assistants) had to spend extra time to get this done. 

I don't think Foster said he had a learning disability.  He and his college coach said something about learning better from watching film and seeing it vs. talking Xs and Os and reading a playbook.  If true, then this is fixable, but will take time from coaches to put together videos that he can watch on a pad (or whatever) so that he can stay up to speed.

My point is that if Foster has some learning issues, the team can get past them if the player and coaches are willing to think outside the box and put in the extra effort.  Is the guy worth it?  I don't know.  Larry Brown was one of the great ones.  He was worth it. 

No, I did. I just think it's a harder fix. Paul Brown had already invented the tech used by todays in helmut communications, so that was already there. Getting the NFL to sign off on it would be another thing (they rejected it with Brown).

Another poster brought this part up, so I addressed it here as well.

If it's simply a case of learning better with film, I don't see a issue there. That is already used with tablets, and in fact I think I don't think they really used whiteboards much anymore for most things.

2 hours ago, Morneblade said:

Nick Saban didn't seem to have a problem working with him.

4 hours ago, ILikeBilly said:

This is interesting and harkens me to the Myers-Briggs test.  It also has an analog-digital paradigm feel to it.  I totally get what Foster and coach are getting at. Xs and Ox is abstract.  You have to understand it and then relate it to the real world (the game is played by 3D humans, not 2D Xs and Os).  He may be more of an intuitive comprehender than one who thinks through each step of it.  It could be like this.  I play keyboards.  Normally, I have to learn a piece by rote, struggling to memorize the notes and work them out until I can play the piece.  When I utilize my California Proposition 215 rights ( :) ), the music suddenly (well, over a period of about 45 minutes), becomes much more intuitive.  I get the flow faster, my playing is smoother, and my timing is magnitudes better because I feel synced-up to what I'm hearing.  I'm not advocating *that* for Foster, but I understand the mental process that might work for him.  He sees the formation.  He knows the down and distance.  He knows the opposing personnel.  He sees the play develop.  He doesn't have to remember where the Xs and Os went on the chalkboard or think "I have to go here"; he just intuitively knows how the play is developing and where the ball is going to go.

I'm not gonna read through the last 50 pages or whatever, but has anyone talked about TJ Logan, RB UNC? Ran a 4.37 40, decent blocker, fantastic hands. Was sparingly used until his senior year when Hood was hurt, so has fresh legs. I think he's probably 4-5th round guy, ton of upside. 

I just read Stormy's post about chalk talk with Jay.  Great read if anyone missed it.  

JP Finley said today on the radio his impression from talking to Scot before he left:  D line/edge rusher was the focus in the first round.  I got the same impression though D line more so then edge rusher. If I take that and couple it with what Jay said which seemed to be an emphasis on D line, ILB, corner. Everything is in play as for a position but he omitted TE and OL when he listed positions.  Then we got Manusky in his two interviews talking up nose in the draft and in his first interview he hit corner.   I think we can likely rule out:  McCaffrey, Cook, Lamp, Howard at #17.

I can't see them going nose in round 1.  But I could see it in round 2 and they'd almost have to do it there otherwise they are talking a chance if they wait until the third round.  

So my current prediction would be:

Round 1:  Malik Mcdowell or Caleb Brantley or Hasson Reddick.  If Foster drops to #17 then him.  Reddick can fill both the ILB role and edge rusher so I'd think he's tempting. 

Round 2:  Tomlinson or Qualls

Round 3:  best rated corner who drops, someone like Demond King, Kevin King? 

17 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Round 1:  Malik Mcdowell or Caleb Brantley or Hasson Reddick.  If Foster drops to #17 then him.  Reddick can fill both the ILB role and edge rusher so I'd think he's tempting. 

I would be very happy with this as long as they pass on Mcdowell. He has the biggest bust potential in this draft IMO. Its impossible to know who ends up falling. The 17th pick is a great spot to nab a player that has fallen a bit (Foster, Barnett, Allen). Or maybe even Adams. I am seeing some mocks that have him making it down to us. If nobody falls then you can most likely land the top corner in the draft at that position as well. And I wouldnt be upset about that one bit. Worst case you Fix the RB position for the next decade. Or settle for the best OL in the draft (Lamp). I love the position we have because it may have enough value to trade down a couple of spots and nab another 3 rounder too. The only pick that would make me flip **** would be a QB. I dont like any of them in this draft in the first round.

32 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I just read Stormy's post about chalk talk with Jay.  Great read if anyone missed it.  

JP Finley said today on the radio his impression from talking to Scot before he left:  D line/edge rusher was the focus in the first round.  I got the same impression though D line more so then edge rusher. If I take that and couple it with what Jay said which seemed to be an emphasis on D line, ILB, corner. Everything is in play as for a position but he omitted TE and OL when he listed positions.  Then we got Manusky in his two interviews talking up nose in the draft and in his first interview he hit corner.   I think we can likely rule out:  McCaffrey, Cook, Lamp, Howard at #17.

I can't see them going nose in round 1.  But I could see it in round 2 and they's almost have to do it there otherwise there are talking a chance if they wait until the third round.  

This is my issue. I think either one of these guys are really 3rd round talent. Neither one of them jump out at me and scream "take them in the 2nd round". I think they are both real reaches, and we'll miss out on a better player in a not so bad off position. Like maybe DE, Guard, Safety, or CB

1 minute ago, Morneblade said:

This is my issue. I think either one of these guys are really 3rd round talent. Neither one of them jump out at me and scream "take them in the 2nd round". I think they are both real reaches, and we'll miss out on a better player in a not so bad off position. Like maybe DE, Guard, Safety, or CB

I agree they are a better value in the third round but if you are stuck without a nose you might have no choice otherwise you might have a repeat of 2016 where they meant to get one but they were taken before the pick.  I am not saying I like it that way.  But if we are stuck with our current crop at D line -- drastic measures in the draft might be needed. :)

5 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

I would be very happy with this as long as they pass on Mcdowell. He has the biggest bust potential in this draft IMO. Its impossible to know who ends up falling. The 17th pick is a great spot to nab a player that has fallen a bit (Foster, Barnett, Allen). Or maybe even Adams. I am seeing some mocks that have him making it down to us. If nobody falls then you can most likely land the top corner in the draft at that position as well. And I wouldnt be upset about that one bit. Worst case you Fix the RB position for the next decade. Or settle for the best OL in the draft (Lamp). I love the position we have because it may have enough value to trade down a couple of spots and nab another 3 rounder too. The only pick that would make me flip **** would be a QB. I dont like any of them in this draft in the first round.

Yeah I am not a McDowell guy either. Reading Stormy's post, I am doubting Lamp is on the table for #17.  I had my own skepticism before reading that post -- thinking about Jay using "guard" as a punch line for not getting much out of the first round picks during his tenure.   Yeah I can see corner as a dark horse position, ditto edge rusher like Barnett or McKinley.

I was on the Taco bandwagon about a month or so ago on the hope that he might be able to be converted to being a 5 technique.   But thinking it through, he seems a but undersized for it.  But it doesn't sound crazy to me converting Charlton or Barnett to 5 technique if one of them falls to #17.   

Burgundy Burner @BurgundyBurner 14s14 seconds ago

The Redskins will host the following player in the coming days: Taco Charlton, DE, Michigan

Just now, Skinsinparadise said:

I was on the Taco bandwagon about a month or so ago on the hope that he might be able to be converted to being a 5 technique.   But thinking it through, he seems a but undersized.  But it doesn't sound crazy to me converting Charlton or Barnett to 5 technique if one of them falls to #17.   

Burgundy Burner @BurgundyBurner 14s14 seconds ago

The Redskins will host the following player in the coming days: Taco Charlton, DE, Michigan

I'm all for Taco...if they switch to a 4-3 full time.....otherwise, a complete waste of time.....sick of us trying to fit square pegs into round holes.

2 minutes ago, SkinsPassion4Life said:

I'm all for Taco...if they switch to a 4-3 full time.....otherwise, a complete waste of time.....sick of us trying to fit square pegs into round holes.

Yeah that's why I went off him.   He'd need to put on about 15 pounds or so.    But if they are meeting with him I gather they see a potential fit.

1 hour ago, SkinsPassion4Life said:

Sounds like our guy!

I still think McDowell is the pick.

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I can't see them going nose in round 1.  But I could see it in round 2 and they's almost have to do it there otherwise there are talking a chance if they wait until the third round.  

If we don't draft a RB in the 1st round, I don't think we draft one until the 4th or 5th round......I see a similar first 3 rounds as you.....3 defensive players.

I would look at versatile players....

Reddick

Watt

Ryan Anderson

Budda Baker

I would hope they trade down if they want Brantley or McDowell.......I think we can get similar value in the 3rd round on the D-Line....guys like Tomlinson, Montravious Adams, Jaleel Johnson, Carlos Watkins, Chris Wormley

7 minutes ago, SkinsPassion4Life said:

Watt

Budda Baker

I would hope they trade down if they want Brantley or McDowell.....

I hope they'd trade down too if Brantley or McDowell is the target.  Worried about McDowell's character issues and motor and worried about Brantley's short arms which make him arguably less suited to play in a 3-4.

As for Watt and Baker they both seem like late first rounders/early 2nd rounders in mocks.  If there is some validity to that they are likely out of reach unless they trade down.  If the idea is to go DT no matter what in the first, yeah I am with you I really hope they trade down.  I think either guy could be had in all likelihood between 24-32.  Heck some have both dropping into the 2nd round.

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I hope they'd trade down too if Brantley or McDowell is the target.  Worried about McDowell's character issues and motor and worried about Brantley's short arms which make him arguably less suited to play in a 3-4.

As for Watt and Baker they both seem like late first rounders/early 2nd rounders in mocks.  If there is some validity to that they are likely out of reach unless they trade down.  If the idea is to go DT no matter what in the first, yeah I am with you I really hope they trade down.  I think either guy could be had in all likelihood between 24-32.  Heck some have both dropping into the 2nd round.

Only two reasons for staying in the 1st round are Foster and Reddick.  IF both are gone, I think you have to trade down.  JMO.

this is why mock drafts are silly, but amusing. This was fanspeak with cbs big board. I took anderson to play him at ILB even though it says edge.

After round 5 I just started grabbing highest rated, wasn't too picky about who it was just to get the thing over with.

It would be a hell of a way to reset the defense in one year tho.

Capture.JPG

9 hours ago, RWJ said:

Only two reasons for staying in the 1st round are Foster and Reddick.  IF both are gone, I think you have to trade down.  JMO.

or someone else slips unexpectedly.  But yeah agree of not standing pat at #17 to take a D lineman.  I was just thinking if what I read is true that all it will take to land Sheldon Richardson is a 4th rounder then if they want to go with a bad boy volatile type at D line -- just trade for Richardson and skip McDowell. 

Archived