Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

USA Today: Protests break out after Baton Rouge police fatally shoot man

Sticksboi05

Just from the video  no.

add in resisting and the tazing attempt and the gun both Identified during subduing him as well as produced afterwards and it looks quite a bit more credible.

that plus one rule is where most trip up.....they are not treated like the rest of us

The only way they are in imminent danger is if dude has a detenator in his hand and he's wearing a vest.

Just absolutely sad.

And yeah, do we have anymore information about the tasing?

That seems to be an important part of the story no one cares about...

I'll use one from Larry's playbook against him...

"What if he was moving BECAUSE he was getting tased?"

I'll go with 3... I spent a few years of my career getting paid to close with and kill the enemies of the United States.

Ah, got it.

Your innate ability to pronounce guilt or innocence, and even people's intent, from looking at three seconds of video which do not show what either person is doing.

Tell me, does this innate super power of yours work better than your ability to unilaterally declare that "They have to be in the act of shooting"? Or are they roughly equally reliable?

Get off the ****ing party line and use your head.

Or better yet, does this super power of yours work better than your ability to detect people's "party line"? 

Cause you're full of **** on that one, too. 

Ah, got it.

Your innate ability to pronounce guilt or innocence, and even people's intent, from looking at three seconds of video which do not show what either person is doing.

Tell me, does this innate super power of yours work better than your ability to unilaterally declare that "They have to be in the act of shooting"? Or are they roughly equally reliable?

Or better yet, does this super power of yours work better than your ability to detect people's "party line"? 

Cause you're full of **** on that one, too. 

You're not even discussing this case anymore.

You've already said he didn't appear to be a threat.

Now you just want to mope because you don't like my wording of things.

If a cop sees a gun and is allowed to shoot someone because of it, then God help us all.

And if you feel that way you need to get out more.

The only way they are in imminent danger is if dude has a detenator in his hand and he's wearing a vest.

What's that, the tenth blatantly untrue thing you've pulled out of your ****?

Are you getting enough fiber in your diet?

I'll use one from Larry's playbook against him...

"What if he was moving BECAUSE he was getting tased?"

You'll pull one out of your playbook, and make more things up.

We're getting to two, per post, now. 

Just out of curiosity, have you heard the one about what to do, when you're standing in a hole that's deeper than you? 

You've already said he didn't appear to be a threat.

Quote it.

Now you just want to mope because you don't like my wording of things.

Nope. I want you to quit making things up.

You know what? You quit making things up, and I'll quit pointing out that you're making things up. It's funny how that works.

(Heck, that's two posts in a row where you've done it twice, per post.) 

If a cop sees a gun and is allowed to shoot someone because of it, then God help us all.

Wow. You actually said something that's true.

Has nothing to do with this topic. But I thought I'd point out that I'm capable of recognizing significant events, when they occur.

What's that, the tenth blatantly untrue thing you've pulled out of your ****?

Are you getting enough fiber in your diet?

You'll pull one out of your playbook, and make more things up.

We're getting to two, per post, now. 

Just out of curiosity, have you heard the one about what to do, when you're standing in a hole that's deeper than you? 

So, in order to be in IMMINENT danger - this guy would have to:

1)  reach for his gun

2)  secure his gun

3)  raise his gun to the police (*********HERE IT IS LARRY, THIS IS WHERE THE ACT OF SHOOTING STARTS**********)

4)  aim

5)  fire weapon

At the MOST we were at 2... I think we were at 1 cause the gun was found in his pocket.  Imminent danger would start at 3. 

If you have to grown men on top of someone, with reportedly a taser charge in the suspect... and you are in control of that suspect physically and in a dominant position... and then you decide to pull your weapon and shoot, you've skipped many steps that could've prevented it.

If you don't see that I can't help you man.  You got me on anything else cause I'm out of legos.

But feel free to quote this and say "more lies," cause I won't lose sleep.  Just more respect for your opinion as you've offered nothing in here but requested much.

I waited to comment because I didn't want to assume anything. After seeing the latest video it just seems like murder to me. Call me crazy but there's no reason this guy couldn't have been subdued in a different manner. I don't see him going for his gun or anything like that and it just seemed like the cop freaked and shot him. I really have no other explanation than that.

So, in order to be in IMMINENT danger - this guy would have to:

1)  reach for his gun

2)  secure his gun

3)  raise his gun to the police (*********HERE IT IS LARRY, THIS IS WHERE THE ACT OF SHOOTING STARTS**********)

4)  aim

5)  fire weapon

According to the rules which (can you guess what's coming?) you just made up.

No, there is no rule which states that police officers are not permitted to shoot until the bullet from a well-aimed shot has left the suspect's weapon and is en route to the officer. 

According to the rules which (can you guess what's coming?) you just made up.

No, there is no rule which states that police officers are not permitted to shoot until the bullet from a well-aimed shot has left the suspect's weapon and is en route to the officer. 

I never said they were rules.

Go back and re-read what I typed... you'll get it. 

giphy.gif

I waited to comment because I didn't want to assume anything. After seeing the latest video it just seems like murder to me. Call me crazy but there's no reason this guy couldn't have been subdued in a different manner. I don't see him going for his gun or anything like that and it just seemed like the cop freaked and shot him. I really have no other explanation than that.

I could be convinced that it's actually a "hit" carried out by two assassins dressed as police. Not sure I'll ever be convinced that it was competent legal police work.

I never said they were rules.

Go back and re-read what I typed... you'll get it. 

So now you're going to say that announcing that "in order for X to be true, every one of these conditions must be met" isn't announcing rules?

Please tell me what you think it is, then.

So now you're going to say that announcing that "in order for X to be true, every one of these conditions must be met" isn't announcing rules?

I think you're trying too hard, Larry. I love your sense of justice and tenacity for truth, but when you have to start playing word games it is because the ice shelf you are standing on is starting to crack and you are desperate not to fall through.

I think you've been ice fishing and are hearing lots of distress. Don't plunge in. Move to where the ice is thicker and can support the weight of your arguments.

Got it.

This was clearly a case of an execution style murder, in fact, an actual war crime, committed by people who want to kill people who are no threat to them, because police are not threatened unless a bullet has left the gun of a person wearing a suicide vest.

And I'm playing word games because the ice is cracking and I'm desperate.

I give up. Have fun.

Like I said Larry, I'm out of legos, man.  You're obviously hard-headed or you're just having fun with me (or both).

If you don't get it yet, you won't. 

Watching the second video, my only question is, what is Alton doing with his right hand? I see his arm move up under the car bumper, then down again at about the time the cop yells gun.

If he was, in fact, going for the gun that the cop apparently realized was in his pocket, does it change anything?

Watching the second video, my only question is, what is Alton doing with his right hand? I see his arm move up under the car bumper, then down again at about the time the cop yells gun.

If he was, in fact, going for the gun that the cop apparently realized was in his pocket, does it change anything?

For me it doesn't change a thing.  You can see on the video that they pull the gun out of his right cargo pocket after he's already lying on the ground with a chest full of blood.

That's what so infuriating to me... he had a gun on his PERSON and they shot him.  Feel free to unload on him at that point, but to shoot him - like I said, they had to want to shoot him.

sure. At this point, why not?

Still can't figure out why the teaser 'didn't work'

It looked like the cop who pulled the gun near his head had a taser near his neck and then put it away when the other cop said "gun" and he pulled his gun out.

I don't know if it didn't work or not.

it escalates the police response to deadly force level, a attempt is all that is needed towards a weapon.

the police are authorized preemption (+1 force level)

sure. At this point, why not?

Still can't figure out why the teaser 'didn't work'

both prongs not making contact because of clothing ect is common or the person dislodging them

bad battery or low charge

they are far from foolproof

And yeah, do we have anymore information about the tasing?

That seems to be an important part of the story no one cares about...

I've often thought cops should go to the taser more often to decrease the need of firing their gun, but as I've read through this thread, I thought of something else...

Just what does a tasing do to a person's brain? When someone is still functioning (ie. not knocked on their ***), is it harder for them to process an officers commands? How often does tasing someone actually work (as its meant to)?

I'm with DC9 on this one - once you have a guy pinned to the ground, you're in a dominant position. Someone reaches, or the officer thinks they are reaching, for a weapon - punch the dude in the throat, grab his hand, tell your buddy to pistol whip him, whatever.

With that all said, this is 1) a really scary position for an officer to be in and 2) adrenaline pumping severely limits the brain functionality - particularly when, if you err on the side of caution, you're risking your own life as well as your partners. Training can help, obviously, but that's almost a throwaway comment given the nuances involved.

Good points made about not officers not turning on their peers - they're sort of making their own bed there - as well as the idea that the body cams and such can actually help protect officers.

Terrible thread, but some interesting conversation (especially when people aren't talking past eachother, lol).

Edit: Bolded above was typed before I saw your comment zoony, but the lol still applies. :)

I'm with DC9 on this one - once you have a guy pinned to the ground, you're in a dominant position. Someone reaches, or the officer thinks they are reaching, for a weapon - punch the dude in the throat, grab his hand, tell your buddy to pistol whip him, whatever.

you do know punching in the throat or bashing his head is deadly force as potentially lethal as a gunshot?

pretty sure the officer was trying to grab his right hand and failing due to the car obstructing him.

I much prefer a good beatdown,but they are not obligated to risk themselves in such situations

Archived