Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

USA Today: Protests break out after Baton Rouge police fatally shoot man

Sticksboi05

Hold on. You think after a police shooting, black males are treated and portrayed by the media too nicely with innocent smiling pictures?

I am not trying to be confrontational - but what ****ing world are you living in?

This one.

Coroner: Man shot by BRPD multiple times to chest, back; 2 officers placed on leave http://bit.ly/29hSeeI 

CmpnYPxXYAA7XbM.jpg

This is where you have to keep up, Larry.

If you are one on one I could see it.  If you're two on one and the other dude is holding him down, yes it's murder.

(This assumes he was reaching for the weapon).  Gonna be difficult to convince me depending on which pocket it was in.  I think we see his left arm/hand in the video... he had about 400lbs plus of grown ass man on his right side.  You tell me.

if he acted like he was reaching for a gun it is justified to shoot him even if six cops were attempting to restrain him

having a gun (or other weapon) and resisting is a very bad idea....even doing so after cuffed

Well and he was black. Apparently black people aren't allowed to carry. I wasn't aware of that law until this thread. Man, whitey can be a real jerk sometimes.

Don't forget us brown folk too. Don't let Miguel and Jose or Omar and Samesh walk around in a Bojangles with AK's strapped to em. Oh lawd, the controversy.

Don't forget us brown folk too. Don't let Miguel and Jose or Omar and Samesh walk around in a Bojangles with AK's strapped to em. Oh lawd, the controversy.

clearly terrorists if it ain't a AR  ;)

hey! look at this brown guy! we have a beautiful brown guy right here! hey some of you folks make really cute babies!

we'll interpret your forgetting of us orange people as a microagression and demand and apology for any offense, whether intentional or otherwise.

sincerely,

Donald Trump

Tony Kornheiser

Oompa Loompas

Syracuse University

Considering that the guy was convicted of felony carnal knowledge of a juvenile in 2000, I think it is safe to say he was not legally carrying that gun.

Though the cops probably didn't know that when they approached him. They also wouldn't have know about his previous run ins with the law. Like his arrest in 2009 for among other things resisting an officer, possession of a firearm, possession of stolen goods, and assault and battery. Or the arrest in 2008 for possession of stolen goods, possession of marijuana, drinking in a motor vehicle, etc. Or the fact that he owed over $25,000 in back child support.

I'm not posting any of that to in anyway excuse the police actions in this case. I have not watched the video and don't really care to. By all accounts is sounds pretty bad for the police. And if all of the evidence points towards this being unjustified then I am all for those officers going away for a long time.

I posted the info above to attempt to counteract the narrative we see so many times in cases like this that take a smiling picture of the victim and a few quotes from friends to make it look like the guy was the nicest guy in the world and wouldn't hurt a fly. Again, that does not mean he deserved to be killed. But he likely wasn't just innocently walking down the street minding his own business either. The guy was a convicted felon in possession of a gun, he had a reason to resist and try to get away.[/b

There is a big difference between "Father of five gunned down by police." and "Convicted pedophile shot while trying to pull gun on police." It does no good to immediately try to jump to either of those conclusions when reality in somewhere in the middle.

I see it differently. The narrative is the exact opposite. Instead of focusing on strictly the incident at hand, everytime a black person gets shot in one of these highly publicized incidents, we gotta know about how bad a guy the deceased was. When Freddie Gray died, we had to hear all about his rap sheet. When Trayvon Maryin died, we had to see his sketchy Facebook pics with him with guns and such.

They werent arresting this guy in LA for being a pedophile, so how is that relevant to whether the shooting was justified? It's blatant obfuscation. It's trying to muddy the waters so folks dont feel as bad about what happened.

I got jumped from behind and got the absolute **** beat out of me by border patrol agents in the middle of a border patrol station. When my lawyer requested a copy of the tape, they gave us some random video from some other random station. My lawyer then pressed them for the correct tape. Their response? "We can't find it." And that was that. And I'm white and paid good money for that lawyer. (And no I didn't "deserve" it. Looking back, I'm 99% convinced that the one who initially assaulted me was trying to show up for the female agent.)

I have a ton of stories. Juvenile friends getting handcuffed and then having knees dropped into their side, breaking ribs. Getting heads slammed on car roofs, requiring stitches. Being a juvenile and having police making me pull down my pants and shining lights all up in my ass. (Highlight of my youth was my juvenile drug charge where I appealed, I testified, the cop testified, that was it, and the judge said he found my story more believable than the police officers and threw it out on illegal search and seizure. I mean holy ****. I was cheesing so hard and the cop (Officer Boone, you ****ing loser, I pray you see this) looked like his head was going to explode.) One time they were looking for an acquaintance of mine, absolutely 0% to do with me in any type of way, they go by my mother's house--where I wasn't even staying--looking for him, my mom and stepdad hear something, go outside, they come around the corner with guns in her face, throwing my stepfather on the ground, cuffing him. And to this day, my Republican, Reagan-worshipping, 2x Iraq vet stepfather hates the police with a passion that far exceeds mine. I've had cops rob me. On and on and on man.

Bad cops are the biggest gangsters in the country, bar none. And it'a ****ing terrifying because--like with my BP situation--what's the recourse for Joe Blow on the corner? Jack ****. You get a police officer on a bad day, he can literally ruin your life.

I dont know what the solution is for the nation. My personal solution, honest to God, is (and has been for a long time now) to look as absolutely white as I possibly can. Cargo shorts, flip flops, cheesy ride, no tats, no loud music, so on and so forth. I'm naturally goofy as **** so that helps. Then if I have any run in's, its all yes sir, no sir, do everything I can to end the encounter as quickly as possible. If you're Black or brown though, that's not an option. I go to my groups and my volunteer gig at the detox spot downtown or I talk to old friends and I hear the same stories over and over again; folks trying to better their lives and police being one of the main obstacles to that. It doesn't matter what theyre doing in life, the police are always going to see them as suspicious from the start. It's beyond frustrating. And you better believe getting treated like that does real psychological damage to someone who's fighting addiction or dealing with other issues and trying to get it together.

(And don't get me wrong, there are a lot of great cops out there. I got stories on that front as well. They desperately need to step up though. I don't envy them on that but they're in the best position to make a difference.)

if he acted like he was reaching for a gun it is justified to shoot him even if six cops were attempting to restrain him

having a gun (or other weapon) and resisting is a very bad idea....even doing so after cuffed

If I did that in Iraq or Afghanistan I'm going to prison.

They have to be in the act of shooting. 

19 year old kids get this... but veteran cops don't. 

I don't understand how anyone could think otherwise, the only way someone gets killed in that situation is if someone wants to kill them.  You've outnumbered them and you have the decided advantage. 

Has anyone else in this thread been in a gun fight?

CNN has a lot more details on this story now

http://www.cnn.com/2016/07/06/us/baton-rouge-shooting-alton-sterling/

Apparently the bodycams were dislodged but did record some of the incident

The store owner was not the one who called 911 and also said nothing had happened prior to warrant a 911 call. Store owner always allowed him to be outside selling CDs, Alton Sterling and store owner both were completely unaware what he did wrong or why police were there.

Yeah I don't think this one is what you're looking for.

Well, he is smiling. The gold teeth might hurt the innocent look. But that headline and that photo lead people in a very different direction than a mugshot photo and headline of "Convicted felon shot by police." Even the tweet headline and a mugshot photo would paint a different picture. 

@justice98

By the time the Trayvon facebook photos came out the narrative was already set. That photo of him at what 12 was the one plastered all over the media in the early days of that case. It made the idea of self defense preposterous. In reality he was nearly 6 feet tall and physically capable of beating a man to death, unlike most 12 year olds. Yet many people thought Zimmerman killed a little kid. Those facebook photos were found and published as a push back against the narrative created by the use of that photo of him as a kid. There is a huge difference in perception between the idea of the kid in that photo with the red shirt being capable of attacking someone and the person we saw in some of the other photos.

As far as this guy's criminal background being relevant goes. It shows that he was a convicted felon in possession of a gun. He had a reason to resist and try to get away. That does not mean that he did resist. My understanding is that the video shows the altercation already in progress. Did the cops jump him? Or did he try to fight and flee? Either way it sounds like he should not have ended up dead. 

Well, he is smiling. The gold teeth might hurt the innocent look. But that headline and that photo lead people in a very different direction than a mugshot photo and headline of "Convicted felon shot by police." Even the tweet headline and a mugshot photo would paint

My bad, I misunderstood your intent. Thought you were illustrating the poi t you were trying to make of both sides of the extreme, but the photo and text seemed relatively even keeled

By the time the Trayvon facebook photos came out the narrative was already set. That photo of him at what 12 was the one plastered all over the media in the early days of that case. 

We live in very, very, very different worlds. 

#iftheygunnedmedown and other campaigns were born out of what was seen as constant media bias in the aftermath of shootings involving AA. 

(And don't get me wrong, there are a lot of great cops out there. I got stories on that front as well. They desperately need to step up though. I don't envy them on that but they're in the best position to make a difference.)

I don't doubt that you've had a rough go and I believe what you had to say, but those are the kinds of things that you need to keep free and clear from your mind while you impartially look at each individual case differently.

Both sides have to give if anyone is going to move forward.

19 year old kids get this..

19 year old kids who are in territory where literally anyone and anything could kill them (and is usually trying to kill them) at anytime, and they get it.

My bad, I misunderstood your intent. Thought you were illustrating the poi t you were trying to make of both sides of the extreme, but the photo and text seemed relatively even keeled

I don't know if these things end up being extremes. Just nudges in one direction or the other. I probably should have used the tweet with the same photo and the quote. “He was nice. He wasn’t a bad guy. He was respectable."  - Darian Gardner told The Advocate.

I don't understand how anyone could think otherwise, the only way someone gets killed in that situation is if someone wants to kill them.  You've outnumbered them and you have the decided advantage. 

Has anyone else in this thread been in a gun fight?

I can't speak to your ROE in Afghanistan, or your commanders....I can speak about escalation of force rules for cops here.

I can't speak to your ROE in Afghanistan, or your commanders....I can speak about escalation of force rules for cops here.

Like I said, twa... if they wanted to kill the man they succeeded.  If they didn't want to kill the man, then they could've avoided it and been perfectly safe.

That's what this discussion is all about.

as I understand it, deadly force rules for the military are different from law enforcement.  its more of a grey area, where the officer has to believe hes in immediate danger. that can include almost any physical altercation, particularly because the suspect can grab the officers gun in an instant.

heres an example http://www.msn.com/en-in/sports/other/watch-murder-suspect-tries-to-steal-cops-gun/vi-AAhCK0b

heres a podcast by sam harris with scott reitz, a former police officer and trainer with tons of experience. he talks about deadly force (about the 23 minute mark), and some of the problems with law enforcement today including lack of proper training.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCMubkhMK6c

Archived