Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

USA Today: Protests break out after Baton Rouge police fatally shoot man

Sticksboi05

Maybe I don't get how two grown men can feel threatened from a dominant position...

I read that they had shot a taser at him already.  I would have been fine if they had to beat on him to get him to succumb to hand cuffs, but shooting him there was nothing short of criminal.

And that was not resisting arrest, trying to protect your vulnerable body while being tackled and thrown to the ground is not resisting arrest. Trying to breathe when someone has a knee on your throat isn't resisting arrest. There is no realm of reality where pointing a gun at someone's head at point blank range and shooting almost immediately is justifiable.

I think the resisting arrest comes into play when you refuse to do what the officers are directing you to do.

Once you've done that, you've given up the chance to 'protect' yourself.

And if you're being given unlawful orders, you should fight those in court. We've already seen how trying to do so in the moment turns out (almost always no good.)

Maybe I don't get how two grown men can feel threatened from a dominant position...

The other guy has a gun?

I think the resisting arrest comes into play when you refuse to do what the officers are directing you to do.

Once you've done that, you've given up the chance to 'protect' yourself.

And if you're being given unlawful orders, you should fight those in court. We've already seen how trying to do so in the moment turns out (almost always no good.)

The other guy has a gun?

If an officer instructs you to do something, and you say no, that is not resisting arrest. Because that officer has not presented to you that you are actually under arrest. 

In an open carry state, you'd think this would happen more often since anybody you have to cuff may be armed.

I don't know about LA, but VA is an open carry state (and conceal carry permitted) and the advise is that you state you have a weapon immediately and then allow the officer to temporarily confiscate it/remove it from you if the officer feels the need to do so for his/her safety.

And to keep your hands where they can see you. If you're in a vehicle to keep them out the window/on the steering wheel.

Because, and this is usually presumed to be common sense, the cops might shoot you if they realize you have a gun and feel threatened. So... the idea is to do everything possible to not make them feel threatened, even if you're slightly unhappy about it (like, say, allowing them to remove your gun for the duration of the stop/incident/whatever)

If an officer instructs you to do something, and you say no, that is not resisting arrest. Because that officer has not presented to you that you are actually under arrest. 

I'm unaware of what those details are on this case. It wasn't in the article or the video.

Yay guns.

they really do so much good for everyone, don't they?

I mean, every day it seems guns do such wonderful things.. it's like we're totally inundated with amazingly uplifting stories of happy shootings and lovely murders every single day of our wonderful lives.

It just gives me such a warm fuzzy, all i want to do is hug my gun for making so many lives so rich and fulfilling.. and over.

~BANG!BANG!BANG!

Do you have a link for that video? I read a good chunk of the OP's link, and didn't see it.

It's in the OP article at the bottom.

You'll know it's the one, because you can see the cop put his gun right in the guy's ear while his partner arm-holds him face down on the ground where he can threaten everyone.

~Bang

failure to obey a cops orders puts you in a gray area, doing so when armed puts a bullseye on you

I haven't looked at this case, but anything but compliance with police orders when armed is very risky

Watching that cell phone video and all I see, sadly, is a murder. 

2 cops are on top of this guy. One cop finds the gun. The other cop tells him not to move while holding a gun to his head. Then the guy is shot 1 second later. And not just once, but 4-6 times. 

Reports are the guy had already been shot with a stun gun before this altercation even began.

The other guy has a gun?

In his pocket. 

Where it's not a threat to anyone. 

I have a concealed carry permit... hopefully I don't get shot for having a 45 on my hip while talking to cops.

failure to obey a cops orders puts you in a gray area, doing so when armed puts a bullseye on you

I haven't looked at this case, but anything but compliance with police orders when armed is very risky

There is no gray area if you are asked to do something and you say no. If a cop asked me to roll down my window, that request doesn't come with a silent "you're under arrest" clause to it. And you can go on Youtube and find plenty of white people, open carrying guns, damn near flaunting them in police face, not obeying orders from cops and not ending up dead.

I have no earthly clue how you spin this as anything but an execution after watching the cell phone video.

Easily. The 911 call said the man was threatening people with a gun. They'll say the hand you can't see in the cell phone video was reaching for his weapon. The video shows the police officer shouting "gun" before shooting him. They recovered the gun from his pocket.

Compared to other police shootings we've seen recently where cops were not found guilty, this one slants heavily in favor of police.

Easily. The 911 call said the man was threatening people with a gun. They'll say the hand you can't see in the cell phone video was reaching for his weapon. The video shows the police officer shouting "gun" before shooting him. They recovered the gun from his pocket.

Compared to other police shootings we've seen recently where cops were not found guilty, this one slants heavily in favor of police.

protest first, ask questions later.

911 calls have been wrong before. It was a 911 call that started the drive-by on Tamir Rice. The store owner where this current cop murder occurred says Sterling wasn't threatening anyone. So how come police officers can't go into a situation with an at least non-violent at the moment civilian without killing him. Yet I can watch an 8 minute long video of a white guy openly carrying and pointing a gun at civilians in a park, while police beg him to put the gun down. 

protest first, ask questions later.

Or in your case, defend cop murder.......never ask any questions before or after because it's always justified somehow. 

Maybe not automatic, but it sure raises the odds.

The presence of a gun absolutely changes things.

Well, it's certainly not very ****ing smart.

It's pretty much a guarantee you'll get shot. Executed is probably just a matter of luck.

I'm not defending this guy's actions by any means, but I certainly can be critical of the "shoot first and ask questions later" part of this shooting.  I watched the cell phone video.  Dude was straight executed. 

Also, for those talking about the open carry and concealed carry stuff - dude wasn't even allowed to legally have a gun since he's on probation.

He might have been a super nice guy with a lot of personal baggage, but that doesn't mean he deserved to die the way he did.  The videos don't pass the eye test for me.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/alton-sterling-article-1.2700893

Sterling was a registered sex offender, after a 2000 conviction for carnal knowledge of a juvenile, records show. The circumstances of the case were not immediately clear. Records say he was released for his offense in October 2004.

He was previously arrested for aggravated battery, criminal damage to property, unauthorized entry and domestic abuse battery, records show. In 2009, he was sentenced to five years in prison for marijuana possession and for carrying an illegal weapon with a controlled dangerous substance.

Family members said he was on probation when he died and would not have been allowed to carry a gun.

I have a concealed carry permit... hopefully I don't get shot for having a 45 on my hip while talking to cops.

Really? The dude was just standing there, talking to the cops? Heck, I can see how you came to the conclusion that you did.

Really? The dude was just standing there, talking to the cops? Heck, I can see how you came to the conclusion that you did.

No... he was a threat cause he "had a gun."

More often than not I have a gun on me.

And I came to the conclusion that I did because I've been in a good amount of gun fights.  I know what bull **** looks like.

I'm a card carrying (and gun carrying) Republican.  There's no need to even flex on this one.  Dude's gotta fall.

Archived